• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Traditional Beret Colours and thoughts on the tan beret?

In order to eliminate future excitement of the assignment of beret colours, I propose the following changes in CF bere colours:

Green: PPCLI
Khaki: RCR
Brown: R22eR
Black: Armour & Navy
Tan: CSOR
Navy Blue: Engr & Arty
Red: MP
Maroon: Airborne/Parachute
Airforce Blue: Airforce
Orange: SAR
Purple: Logistics
Grey: Other
CADPAT: JTF
White: guests at Club Edm
Rainbow: Airborne sniper ninjas
Gold (it will actually look yellow): General officers

.... maybe the leather bands should also be different colours so each reserve regiment can also do its own unique thing!

... oh, and coloured felt behind the capbadge to show which formation your from!

This is excellent.   There is no way we could push this idea too far.  :P

MCG said:
In order to eliminate future excitement of the assignment of beret colours, I propose the following changes in CF bere colours:

Black: Armour & Navy
Tan: CSOR
Navy Blue: Engr & Arty

Well if you feel this way, you should at least give the Navy the colour that they should have, not the colour they adopted just because it was the only one available and cheap at the time.  They should have Royal Navy Blue, not Black.  ::)

MCG said:

Purple: Logistics

Purple for the purple trades is a nice touch.

Grey, though, should be reserved in honour of Mr. Hellyer, and only worn by "alien" forces under Canadian command.  (ETs are often described as "greys", like the creatures in Close Encounters of the Third Kind and various episodes of X-Files (and the Alien Autopsy video on FOX).

The Navy just has followed the norm of other Navies by adopting the black beret much like our Airborne did when it adopted the maroon or Armoured adopted the black....

I forget..but why do they refere to us as Purple trades? It better not be refering us as homosexuals...

Please enlighten me.

Because if you mix the Army's red, the Navy's dark blue and the Air Force's light blue, you will likely get a tone of purple... Nothing to do with sexual orientation. Ever heard of pink trades ??  ;)  ;D

Ah...oh yeah.... so what is the pink trade about???? Tell me please... lol.

Tan has actually been in doctrine for a while, listed simply as a light infantry beret.  The 3rd Bns simply chose not to do it.  3RCR M (Para) Coy is maintaining the jump capability, so the maroon beret will still be seen in Pet.

And please, people...take some time to form your beret properly.  It should fit snug to your head, and if it's covering your ear, sort yourself out.

Sunray12 said:
Tan has actually been in doctrine for a while, listed simply as a light infantry beret.  The 3rd Bns simply chose not to do it.  3RCR M (Para) Coy is maintaining the jump capability, so the maroon beret will still be seen in Pet.

And please, people...take some time to form your beret properly.  It should fit snug to your head, and if it's covering your ear, sort yourself out.

Huh?  "Beret Doctrine"?  Is that like the Monroe Doctrine or somefink?

FatwogCpl said:
Anything, absolutely anything is fine with me as long as no one brings back the tan wedge for the Army, or forge caps for DEU's

Forage caps...sorry, it always get to me.
and I think they look pretty sharp, but I'm pretty sure there's a huge thread on forage cap opinion around here somewhere...

Dorosh,

Haha...yes, the "Beret Pam".  I don't know where I saw it, but it was in an official pub years ago when my peers and I split up after Ph4.  One of my friends that went Mech saw the light infantry/tan beret reference in something he was doing, and forwarded it to me.  My only reply was "huh?", but there it was.

Wish I could remember now, but I assure you, Light Infantry units in Canada have been authorized to wear tan berets for a while.

Sunray12 said:
I assure you, Light Infantry units in Canada have been authorized to wear tan berets for a while.
Not according to the CF dress regulations.

I assure you, Light Infantry units in Canada have been authorized to wear tan berets for a while.
Not according to the CF dress regulations.
it isn't in the current cf drill and dress reg's

9Tiger9 said:
it isn't in the current cf drill and dress reg's
The reference would be A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CANADIAN FORCES DRESS INSTRUCTIONS.

MIKE, RECCE GUY IS RIGHT.
The ESSEX TANK WAS ARMOUR (TANK) in the beginning. My father was with them until he was sent to the Recce Corp 1st Recce Regt. It was formed from men around Essex county, some officers came from the Essex Scots, RCD, etc that were around. IT is the ONLY TANK Regt. It was the only one that could wear the Tank badge on their sleeve until 1940, when all TANK Regts ie Three Rivers (12RBC) wore them not Armour.
http://www.windsorregt.ca/history.html

The CAC was formed in 1936 on paper, official in 1940, org its was the CTC from 1917-1932 with some old 14 WW1 tanks, and 20+ Mk VIs give or take. From 1930?-1940 it is unclear, for in Montreal they were building Rams and Grizzlies and well as some Matilia 1s and Valintine. This is from the stuff I went through at the School.
The school started in London, Ont then used Bordon as a training area ,Armour or Tank Regts were divided under what they would support. TANK Regts were to support the Inf, that is why they are listed under Inf. Armour to take on other tanks was listed under Cav.. The Brits also had them listed as such.
Yes some Inf Regt became Armour/Recce. Ie Halifax rifles, QYR, Elgins, etc.
But as a forum note: The Recce Corp wore the Tan and Maroon berets.

Further to 41s last...

The Essex Regt that is being confused with the Essex Regt Tank, is a TA Unit in England (Infact it's the Allied Regt to the EK Scot).  The Windsors, formerly Essex Regt Tank (as Recceguy pointed out), where formed as the only Tank Regt in Canada.  We drew our capbadge, the black beret and the March Past "My Boy Willie", from what was our allied Regiment at the time, The Royal Tank Regiment (The only Tank Regiment raised by The British Army).  The current Regimental Capbadge of the WR, is a incorporation of the RTR and what is now the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards or Scots DG for short, our current Allied Regiment, paying homage to the "close" relations we share with both Regiments.

George Wallace said:
Well if you feel this way, you should at least give the Navy the colour that they should have, not the colour they adopted just because it was the only one available and cheap at the time.  They should have Royal Navy Blue, not Black.   ::)

Sorry to dredge this up but...

George, the Navy had the black beret before there ever was an Armoured Corps. In fact, the reason the Armour wears the black beret is from their Naval (and RTR) roots. Also, berets in the CF, especially the Army, didn't come about 'till WWII (and mostly post WWII). The multi-coloured versions came about after WWI as a distinction for veterans on parade - and the Navy vets were the first to adopt the black beret.

I wish I had the ref for you. If I find it, I'll be sure to post it.

It's all about the colour of your hat!

Acorn
The navy wore the flat hat and the NAVY Beret. I have one from 1924 that the Royal Canadian Naval League (Legion) in my collection. IT is very very dark. The tag has Blue: Dark Navy.

I truly wish I had the ref. The Navy Beret pre-WWI (which was not commonly worn, as was the flat hat - IIRC the beret was worn only for certain shore duties) it was black, though often described as Navy Blue.

But I'm going by memory. And that's the second thing to go they say... :D

Acorn said:
I truly wish I had the ref. The Navy Beret pre-WWI (which was not commonly worn, as was the flat hat - IIRC the beret was worn only for certain shore duties) it was black, though often described as Navy Blue.

But I'm going by memory. And that's the second thing to go they say... :D

Acorn
If you do find it. post it. I would be interested. I collect militaria and to learn something new is great. I know the Navy had a Bonnet for their gun crews.

Back