• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

to all Mcpl's what duties do you carry out

I'm sure every corps has their strengths and weaknesses ... and their few cadets that "fall through the cracks" of the national prerequisites.  That's normal for a cadet corps, their numbers can change so much in a short time ... so of course the corps must "adapt and overcome" and carry on with what they have.

I do in a way see your point.

Yet at the same time, if I have a cadet who is capable of being a MWO, and I'm an imaginary CO for a day, I'll rush him through Gold Star before I'll have him promoted to the 2nd highest rank at silver. If we need a CSM or something, I'll gladly apoint him as one as a silver star Master Corporal or Sergeant, but I wouldn't catapult him to that rank as a silver star.

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to the new prerequisites already, but seeing a MWO without at least a gold star really nagged at me.

Oh I completely agree ... one does not need a rank to do a job (you don't have to be a CWO to be RSM).  You can be given the appointment and responsibilities but hold the rank in acting or not at all.

Oh, I know. :) What is the lowest star level you've ever seen a CSM? (This isn't meant to be said with any rudeness, I'm curious as per to your reply)

ive had a CSM as a Gold Star qualified MWO. He took NSCE that year and failed it

also, in my old corps the CSM was the top NCO, as the RSM was in A-coy C-Scot-R

At  our corps we have 30 on a good night but we still have 1 cwo 3 mwo's but no wo's

Sgt Saorse said:
Oh, I know. :) What is the lowest star level you've ever seen a CSM? (This isn't meant to be said with any rudeness, I'm curious as per to your reply)
Gold Star and CL.  I've seen a RSM with Gold and CL as well (CWO).

Silver star acting WO... There was a silver star MASTER Warrant Officer at NSCE, and a red star Sergeant. I'm not to sure about that 

:P I'm, in redstar, and i get Sgt next week.. [ I've been told i Get it.. because They need another 2ic.. We already have 4 acting]

We can't implement the new rank prerequisites right now, or entire corps would be acting ranks.. We could rush the entire corps through the whole training, and we're trying.. But some people just do not pick it up as quickly..

armygurl_557 said:
:P I'm, in redstar, and i get Sgt next week.. [ I've been told i Get it.. because They need another 2ic.. We already have 4 acting]

We can't implement the new rank prerequisites right now, or entire corps would be acting ranks.. We could rush the entire corps through the whole training, and we're trying.. But some people just do not pick it up as quickly..
We're somewhat in the same boat, as I'm sure many other corps can attest to.  The old prerequisite for Sergeant was Silver Star though so we're trying to make that the bare minimum and using Acting ranks as required.

All our Sergeants are at least Gold Star qualified and 5/6 sergeants are CL or above, so it works out pretty well for us.

The lowest I've seen an RSM was just Gold Star, no camp but he was a damn good RSM.

Sgt Saorse said:
Silver star acting WO... There was a silver star MASTER Warrant Officer at NSCE, and a red star Sergeant. I'm not to sure about that   ::)

*cough* I bet that was from my corp. Was he a blond head?

Anyways if that was.. he WAS gold star just that the QM was having difficulties locating the star :P

PS.. do you not have to pass gold BEFORE going to NSCE?

The Crowe said:
*cough* I bet that was from my corp. Was he a blond head?

Anyways if that was.. he WAS gold star just that the QM was having difficulties locating the star :P

Yes you do ... however I do know of cadets that have managed to "slip through the cracks."

you are supposed to have your Gold Star Performance Record with you while you do your NSCE testing, at least thats what we had to have a few years ago in Pac Reg

i was given my performance record the day i left on the bus for NSCE, and i was busy sewing on my gold star badge on the bus ride to vernon

The Crowe said:

yes. if you didn't there would be no point to the gold star level. NSCE covers every star level. how would anyone expect to pass or get a good mark if they don't know gold star.

( he he he i just noticed my number of posts in now the same as my corp number, 337. lol)

Anyone have any historical knowledge on the "silver NSCE badge?"

Sgt Saorse said:

It is not a  silver NSCE badge. it is  a Silver Star with a wreath around it. it looks like the NSCE badge but it is silver.  It is given to cadets that have a CLI and are Silver star qualified.

all i know is it was in use from in between 1978- 1972. i don't completely know what year though.

My TO had figured it to be a badge given to exemplary cadets who had passed NSCE. Thank you for the confirmation! :)

Sgt Saorse said:
Here we have .... a "Silver Star with maple leafs badge:"
(This picture was brought to you in part by .... my scanner)
SilverStar.jpg

Back