• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

to all Mcpl's what duties do you carry out

mcpl_spunky

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering about what kind of duties you guy's carry out at your home corps and how is it being a Mcpl at your home corps :salute:

i am not a M/Cpl, but the M/Cpl's at my corp are supposed to be section comanders. there are in charge of getting phone calling done and keeping track of all the cadets that have left. they are also the ones that are the direct link from the Seniors to the cadets. i.e enforcing the 3 D's.

we have 2 different squadrons at my corp. this is how things are run at mine. i am not sure of the other one. it should be the same.

MCpl.'s at my corp do the same thing section commanders. Calling cadets. They are also in charge of the nominal roll for there platoon.

Since my corps does not have the capacity for different sections and section commanders, Master Corporals basically drift through as an NCO with very little power, and act as instructors or training aids, since every M/Cpl in our corps is gold star qualified. Now that I'm NSCE Qualified, I am ... a top tier Master Corporal, if you will. I am a primary instructor, called upon to practice giving drill, leading our corps, roll call: preparing for a Warrant's job.

MCpl Saorse said:
Since my corps does not have the capacity for different sections and section commanders, Master Corporals basically drift through as an NCO with very little power, and act as instructors or training aids, since every M/Cpl in our corps is gold star qualified. Now that I'm NSCE Qualified, I am ... a top tier Master Corporal, if you will. I am a primary instructor, called upon to practice giving drill, leading our corps, roll call: preparing for a Warrant's job.

Sounds like a sad state of affairs in your corps. Mcpl is the integeral link between Snr NCOs and Jnr NCOs. If they don't do their job, the chain of command fails. If they have little power, it's because they fail to use their skills and employ it properly.

I thought a Mcpl cannot go beyond Sgt without an advanced course such as CLI D&C or Arctic Indoc/ Para etc.

Regards

Franko said:
Sounds like a sad state of affairs in your corps. Mcpl is the integeral link between Snr NCOs and Jnr NCOs. If they don't do their job, the chain of command fails. If they have little power, it's because they fail to use their skills and employ it properly.

I thought a Mcpl cannot go beyond Sgt without an advanced course such as CLI D&C or Arctic Indoc/ Para etc.

Regards

Our corps gets 20 people on a good night. Welcome to rural Canada.

Our M/Cpl's have very little power because not only are there only 2 of us, one of which is as qualified as the undergrowth on a rotten pineapple, but there is so little need for this link of NCO's within such a small corps with 1 solitary section. I teach, assist teachers, lead little groups on local exercises and such, but my responsibilities are not as they should be.

Also, as far as I know, Sgt. is now as high as you can go without NSCE: I have never heard anything about the advanced course prerequisites.

Sorry to hear about your corps. Not much you can do in a small town. I worked with a corps in Harvey NB. They paraded on a good night 32 pers all ranks.

Recruiting is so hard in a small town.

Regards

Understood. Especially when of our "graduates" next year leaving us, none are below a Master Corporal: 3 Sergeants and a CWO included in our losses.

Recruiting is most deifnitely necessary this summer, over our massively dispersed area.

Just a point, summer training is no longer a prerequisite for any rank.  Without NSCE you can get up to WO.  Also each unit has a quota for how many of each rank MCpl and above they are allowed to have.

Right you are: number of available positions from MCpl - CWO are determined by the size of the corps.

Also, in my corps, WO is an NSCE rank. Guess it's a corps thing. :)

yea mbdrs at our corps are section commanders or admin NCOs. however, back when i was a mbdr i had an acting troop WO position cause we were low on sr. NCOs. its all back to normal now..ish

the MCpls in my unit act as section commanders mostly

we have enough Senior NCOs to teach most lessons, so the MCpls are more learning their leadership and instructional techniques than teaching cadets.

one thing that i have thought of, is putting the MCpls in charge of the corps for the night...give each of them a different position to carry out, IE: RSM, CSM, Plt WOs...just to see how they fair in the position, and to give them some experience

That is sort of what I'm at: carrying out the higher level positions as practice for next year, when our senior cadets are heading off into the mystic.

Fairing pretty well so far: even with our small size, I'm fully content with the roles our ranks are playing, although our RSM should be doing a tad bit more of the traditional RSM duties. Another story for another time.

MCpl Saorse said:
Understood. Especially when of our "graduates" next year leaving us, none are below a Master Corporal: 3 Sergeants and a CWO included in our losses.

Recruiting is most definitely necessary this summer, over our massively dispersed area.

you also said that you get 20 cadets on a god night. i was just wondering how many you have on paper that actually show up on a regular basis.  if it is less than 29 cadets than you should not have a chief, according tot he Cato's. the staff you should have is 1 MWO, 2 WO, 3 SGTs, and 4 M/Cpl's. the other 2 ranks are up to the CO.

here is the link for the page with All the rank numbers on it.

http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/4003A_e.pdf

wow lucky. you better do some recruiting though. by the end of the year wont you be under 30 though?

We will indeed: hence the need for recruiting.

I've been invited to take part with the RCMP and FD in a local hockey Provincial Championship Opening Ceremony, so I'm hoping it at least gets our image out there, to start with.

My Warrant I are planning a major recruitment drive for this summer.

Our corps gets 20 people on a good night. Welcome to rural Canada.

WOW.. Our Corps gets Twenty per platoon on a bad night! and Thats 6 platoons plus our recruit platoon... Welcome ot the city...
Our Master Corporals are mostly all under qualified compared to you as there are 3 sliverstars mcpls, and the rest are in redstar.  But 2 years ago our corps had 42 people and last year it was 130.. Now its 180-190 people.. Our mcpls are mostly section commanders but there are a few that are one flag party, or just dont do anything. Truth be told, many people consider everyone in our corps under qualified, but the last two years we won best corps in Onatrio, and we had placed atleast 1 person in the top 5 of every competition we entered. Right now we have a Sgt at the National Biathalon in BC. The big change in numbers had some of the best come out in people.  I myself am a Mcpl and i had to grow up and become a leader in a matter of a year. Most of our important seniors like say WO and above have been there for 5 Years Plus.

And with the Acting WO, we have one. Hes in silverstar.:P

Silver star acting WO... There was a silver star MASTER Warrant Officer at NSCE, and a red star Sergeant. I'm not to sure about that  ::)

Back