• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Whole New Knife, Liz May, Gear Up, Racism Merged Thread

NL_engineer said:
As requested through PM (I will leave said person unnamed)

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

From the serial number, it was issued out of Montreal. I only say that because it was delivered to Montreal. I have no idea where it was actually issued from.

Stan

stanp said:
From the serial number, it was issued out of Montreal. I only say that because it was delivered to Montreal. I have no idea where it was actually issued from.

Stan

Montreal is home to a major supply depot ( 25 CFSD) so the knife , theoreticaly, could have been issued out of anywhere.

The customer has specified "no markings" other than: MADE IN CANADA, Make, Model, NSN, CAGE on the Jan 30, 2009 deliverables, and probably future builds, they are very unique in the fact that they are serialized, have the slogan, and CAF on them.

PS: 1400 were delivered to Montreal, 1000 were delivered to Edmonton.

stanp said:
PS: 1400 were delivered to Montreal, 1000 were delivered to Edmonton.

And that would be the location of the 2 Supply Depots.

stanp said:
The customer has specified "no markings" other than: MADE IN CANADA, Make, Model, NSN, CAGE on the Jan 30, 2009 deliverables, and probably future builds, they are very unique in the fact that they are serialized, have the slogan, and CAF on them.

Interesting as my knife issued in 1999 (yeah I know different manufacturer) there are ZERO markings other than MADE IN CANADA and Grohmann, D.H. Russell #3 Stainless Steel.

Yeah... I got mine +/-1972 or 3ish...
as indicated before, I need to give the blade a bit of a grind once in a while.... but I can do that while watching the news or listening to my son talk about his latest GF.

I like the design - regardless of who makes it.

I have a Grohmann knife and compared to the pictures from the other manufacturer the fit and finish seems far superior on the Grohmann. From the pictures the handle does not line up with the metal handle tang of the knife. As for looking similar to the Grohmann the shape is quite similar.
NL_engineer said:

Knifemaker gets Forces contract
The Chronicle-Herald
30 June 2009

OTTAWA - Defence Minister Peter MacKay issued a news release Monday pointing out that a knife manufacturer in his riding has won a big contract from the Canadian Forces.

Grohmann Knives of Pictou lost a contract providing knives to Canadian paratroopers last year, which caused a political headache for Mr. MacKay when it emerged as an election issue.

In January, the company won a contract for 1,500 knives, the release said.

"I'm delighted that Grohmann was awarded this contract in an open, transparent and competitive process," Mr. MacKay said.

His spokesman, Dan Dugas, said it was unfortunate that Mr. MacKay was blamed for the loss of the contract last time because the defence minister is not involved in picking who gets individual contracts.

As another fun bit of trivia, Combat Engineers now have a documented entitlement for this knife.  You can sign for it on your clothing docs.

MCG said:
As another fun bit of trivia, Combat Engineers now have a documented entitlement for this knife.  You can sign for it on your clothing docs.

When weren't they entitled?  I had one on my belt every day for about 23 years, signed for and everything.

templeton peck said:
Looks like the hotel steak knives from Chateau Lake Louise!

Obviously a First Class establishment. Unfortunately, I haven't had the financial resources to eat there myself. How much are the steaks BTW?

Stan

Back