• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

Oh I heard of them. But they are recruited to do infantry stuff.

I have a hard time imagining your average stoker or bosun looking forward to doing advance-to-contact on a two-way range against seasoned infantry though. 😉

Nope I cant say they would enjoy that. How would the Army feel about having to stop the war every at 10am for soup ? And only half wars on Fridays ?

Oh I heard of them. But they are recruited to do infantry stuff.

I have a hard time imagining your average stoker or bosun looking forward to doing advance-to-contact on a two-way range against seasoned infantry though. 😉

FWIW, the UK's Commando Course does something like that with naval ratings posted to 3 Cdo Bde.

One of the best guys was a mild mannered Navy Dentist who turned out to be a virtual Rambo.

More proof that it's possible to turn just about anyone into a useful Infantry fanatic ;)

[td width="550px"]
Interviews with Ukrainian officers explain how Russia advanced 30 km in six months once Avdiivka fell: The 3rd Assault Brigade was brought in to cover the withdrawal from Avdiivka. When that was complete, they were rotated out and the 68th Brigade was rotated in. In a now familiar pattern, the rotation was quick and the 68th didn’t have time to become familiar with the terrain or enemy behavior and tactics. To make matters worse, the 3rd took their trench EW systems with them. Immediately, Russian drone and meat attacks began and never stopped.
[/td]​

I expect the Ukrainians know exactly how many they sent but for the rest of us there is a lesson there that in order to get through you will need to send multiple (read as many) assets on each mission and expect that only a few will get through. I expect their major facilities, including ammo dumps, are high on the air defence priority list.

The more that I see of these types of missions the more I see a need for tight air and ground strike planning at the edge of tactical v strategic levels.

🍻
David Webers "Honor Harrington" SF series predicted the escalation of missile/counter missile/peetration aids/decoys and so ad infinitum 30 years ago. Just read drone instead of missile.

David Webers "Honor Harrington" SF series predicted the escalation of missile/counter missile/peetration aids/decoys and so ad infinitum 30 years ago. Just read drone instead of missile.

I'm a fan of John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series. I'm waiting for the production of an MP-35, the multi-purpose infantry rifle of the Colonial Defence Forces which interfaces with a trooper's BrainPal and which custom configures the block of nanobot ammunition, that it is loaded with, into any type of round suitable for the occasion from bullet to grenade. Oh! Did I mention SmartBlood? :giggle:

🍻

Nope I cant say they would enjoy that. How would the Army feel about having to stop the war every at 10am for soup ? And only half wars on Fridays ?
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

FWIW, the UK's Commando Course does something like that with naval ratings posted to 3 Cdo Bde.

One of the best guys was a mild mannered Navy Dentist who turned out to be a virtual Rambo.

More proof that it's possible to turn just about anyone into a useful Infantry fanatic ;)

How hard can it be; pongos do it ?

Walk, dig, shoot, repeat.

Its called INFANTry because kids can do it ;)

David Spade Finger Guns GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

Back