• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

SSBN launched Bulava work (apparently) and are operational across all 7 active Borei class submarines. So there’s that, but many also suspect these are also in various stages of friggery. Who really knows with them…
Define work please, as well as active ;)

I dont want to give Kevin too many ideas but the time to attack is now lol
If I was king, one of the two Corps of Armored gear we store in Europe would have been given to the Ukrainians a three years ago…

Mainly as I think a Ukrainian ABCT doing donuts in the Kremlin looks better than a US Army one.

Plus I don’t think China wants a US controlled Russia - it would be better for everyone if Ukraine can make Russia crumble and NATO enters for a stabilizing role and rebuilding

Define work please, as well as active ;)

If I was king, one of the two Corps of Armored gear we store in Europe would have been given to the Ukrainians a three years ago…

Mainly as I think a Ukrainian ABCT doing donuts in the Kremlin looks better than a US Army one.

Plus I don’t think China wants a US controlled Russia - it would be better for everyone if Ukraine can make Russia crumble and NATO enters for a stabilizing role and rebuilding

The Bidens, Blinken, Sullivan, Nuland, Hill .... how many lives have they cost?

The ACSV hull is taller than a LAV hull plus turret. It was designed so CP staff and medics could stand while working. It is not the platform for any gun system other than its own protective RWS.
Not quite. There are two ACSV hulls. The type 2 is the tall one for the CP, ambulance, EW, troop/cargo carrier and engineer. The type 3 is the lower hull for the MRT, fitter and MRV.

That said, the ACSV is pretty much a purpose-built, bespoke hull and the rear compartment needs modification in any event to carry whatever turret is needed, ammo racks and custom electronics. The key element is that the chassis is the same as all of the rest of the LAV/ACSV fleet.

I still ponder the usefulness of the TAPV hull for repurposing. I presume its not an issue because, AFAIK the army hasn't prioritized a suitable "cavalry" vehicle to replace them. (And I hope they do not get priority until the artillery's LRPF, GBAD and SP systems get fielded)

🍻

The type 3 is the lower hull for the MRT, fitter and MRV.
The type 3 is a heavier suspension and a bespoke back-end for external cargo, cranes, and/or winches. You can’t put a turret on any of those. As soon as you talk adding a turret, you are talking about a LAV hull. You can build a LAV on type 3 suspension.

Not quite. There are two ACSV hulls. The type 2 is the tall one for the CP, ambulance, EW, troop/cargo carrier and engineer. The type 3 is the lower hull for the MRT, fitter and MRV.

That said, the ACSV is pretty much a purpose-built, bespoke hull and the rear compartment needs modification in any event to carry whatever turret is needed, ammo racks and custom electronics. The key element is that the chassis is the same as all of the rest of the LAV/ACSV fleet.

I still ponder the usefulness of the TAPV hull for repurposing. I presume its not an issue because, AFAIK the army hasn't prioritized a suitable "cavalry" vehicle to replace them. (And I hope they do not get priority until the artillery's LRPF, GBAD and SP systems get fielded)

🍻

TAPV

Reduce its height and everything falls back into balance.

Reduce expectations to conform with the laws of physics.

The type 3 is a heavier suspension and a bespoke back-end for external cargo, cranes, and/or winches. You can’t put a turret on any of those. As soon as you talk adding a turret, you are talking about a LAV hull. You can build a LAV on type 3 suspension.
You keep missing the point. I don't consider modifying any of the existing ACSVs. I'm saying take the basic ACSV chassis complete with wheels, suspension, engine and driver compartment and build a module on the back designed for whatever purpose you want.

It's not much different than what is being done with the Boxer - a basic chassis and a separate module designed for a specific function.

Treat the ACSV the same way - except for the fact that you do not give it the modularity of the Boxer. You create bespoke mission elements on the common chassis/engine/driver element.

This isn't rocket science. It's pretty lightweight engineering to design a back-end mission component compatible to the ACSVs specifications and capabilities. Buy the special components - the mortar systems, the MOOG turrets etc off-the shelf - and design a back end around the chassis and the weapon components characteristics.

Ukrainians are doing this in garages every day - surely we can do this in a plant in London.

TAPV

Reduce its height and everything falls back into balance.

Reduce expectations to conform with the laws of physics.
We agree totally.

Again, not rocket science.

The only question is: do the costs of modification come in at significantly less than a new vehicle to make it worthwhile.

🍻

There was a flat deck cargo variant of the LAV. Can't find anything on the web. There was this G5 variant. I always felt these would be a excellent replacement for the M113 in it's specialty roles.

ACSV_Bild_5.jpg

You keep missing the point. I don't consider modifying any of the existing ACSVs. I'm saying take the basic ACSV chassis complete with wheels, suspension, engine and driver compartment and build a module on the back designed for whatever purpose you want.
I understand what you are saying. That new vehicle would be a LAV with type 3 suspension (as opposed to the current section carriers with type 1).

It's not much different than what is being done with the Boxer - a basic chassis and a separate module designed for a specific function.
The Boxer has a substantially greater potential gross vehicle weight than LAV. The LAV (regardless of suspension type) cannot do what Boxer does, to include the not being able to do the plug-&-play mission module capability.

The Boxer has a substantially greater potential gross vehicle weight than LAV. The LAV (regardless of suspension type) cannot do what Boxer does, to include the not being able to do the plug-&-play mission module capability.
Which explains why the Dragoon LAV (US Army) seems to be rocking back on the rear suspension.

Ok, so at one point there were LAVV destined for Saudi that mounted a 105 SPG gun and another version had a 105 in a Cockerill turret. Those LAV suspension seemed to handle the weight?? Although I heard that firing the 105 gun was not very pleasant experience for the crew.

Which explains why the Dragoon LAV (US Army) seems to be rocking back on the rear suspension.

Ok, so at one point there were LAVV destined for Saudi that mounted a 105 SPG gun and another version had a 105 in a Cockerill turret. Those LAV suspension seemed to handle the weight?? Although I heard that firing the 105 gun was not very pleasant experience for the crew.
those were LAV 700? Got some Piranha V mixed in?

There was a flat deck cargo variant of the LAV. Can't find anything on the web. There was this G5 variant. I always felt these would be a excellent replacement for the M113 in it's specialty roles.

ACSV_Bild_5.jpg
For those of us afflicted with terminal curiosity and with less free time then you . What is a G5 ?

Back