• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

Ok, apologies for the rushed post previously.

The CF DOES recognise foreign military training, experience and service. I have been granted a slightly lower rank than what I held in the British Army, however all my training and experience is directly transferrable. In fact, some of my training contains skill sets apparently on the wane in the Canadian Army, and so I can be a very valuable asset to my gaining unit.

The key to this was my Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition, which was, AFAIK, completed by DAT, who hold information on all equivalent training for each trade in both the CF and many foreign militaries. You have more chance of getting recognition if your experience was with an ABCA/NATO country of course, due to similarities and standardization.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that unless you have proven civilian qualifications, and are applying for a technical trade, the British Army does not generally accept foreign military experience. I have met former members of the Australian infantry who had to complete CIC at Catterick prior to field army employment, regardless of how much prior experience they had.

PMedMoe said:
I'm assuming he never gave up his Canadian citizenship when serving in Australia.
BTW, not everyone who has been out for 5 years or more has to do basic again.  ;D

No, and you don't do that period. You must however acknowledge you will apply for Australian citizenship within 90 days of being elegible for it. Holding two passports is not an issue.

If you are a CF Mbr or from the UK etc, one can now do a a leteral transfer, and come accross. Might drop a rank, might have to take some leadership courses, but what you learned in the CF does have merrit, and counts.

Pretty sad the CF does not recognise service in another country?? I thought they did, as we had a guy come from Gyana (former British Gyana), where he did 10 yrs there (REME related Corps). Once in the CF, within two yrs he had his CD, and they brought him in as a MCPL, left the CF, retired as a a WO some 15 yrs later.

Cheers,

Wes

Regards,

Wes

Wanna know more? Try www.defencejobs.gov.au

I never realized that one could do a lateral transfer from foreign militaries.  This has been quite enlightening. 

WRT to the PLAR, I wish I had learned about this earlier.  I'm heading off for BMOQ in the new year and didn't realize that I could have submitted one to get credit towards some of the training.  It may not have gone anywhere but you never know unless you try.  (More to follow on a different thread.)

Thanks for the info  Towards_the_gap, like I said, very interesting. 

Submit the req for PLAR when you graduate BMQ. You have nothing to lose.

It's not so much a 'lateral transfer', as discharging from one service, and re-enlisting in another. However, at least the option is there.

WRT to PLAR, my advice is just grit your teeth through BMQ, provided you keep your head down and don't get an attitude like 'this is bullcrap, I don't need to be here', your previous experience will show through. Once in your unit, push for the PLAR.

I presume you have all your discharge paperwork? In my case, I was given a summary page with length of service, regimental number, then another couple of pages detailing all my tour details, awards, courses and qualifications. This should be submitted when you ask for the PLAR.

Feel free to ask me any other questions, I've just finished the process myself and received alot of help from this website, and am more than willing to help others.

Wesley  Down Under said:
If you are a CF Mbr or from the UK etc, one can now do a a leteral transfer, and come accross. Might drop a rank, might have to take some leadership courses, but what you learned in the CF does have merrit, and counts.

Wanna know more? Try www.defencejobs.gov.au

Please take note.  Wes is talking about Canadians joining the Australian military, not Canadians serving in the Australian forces and returning to Canada to rejoin the CF.

He adds:

Wesley  Down Under said:
Pretty sad the CF does not recognise service in another country?? I thought they did, as we had a guy come from Gyana (former British Gyana), where he did 10 yrs there (REME related Corps). Once in the CF, within two yrs he had his CD, and they brought him in as a MCPL, left the CF, retired as a a WO some 15 yrs later.

Let's keep this topic on track.

Towards_the_gap said:
It's not so much a 'lateral transfer', as discharging from one service, and re-enlisting in another. However, at least the option is there.

Not straying too far off target, but just some minor clarification.....

When I came accross in 1995, this was indeed the case. A discharge and re-enlistment, and then a two year wait for citizenship.

This has now changed in Australia. We had two recent arrivals from the UK to our regiment (both were SSGTs busted to CPL). A third arrives in January (officer) We had started talking about how times had changed, and they both called it lateral transfers, which was new to me, and the citizenship was only a matter of months, instead of the 2 year period. A good carrot to dangle, with a mininum 4 yrs ROSO (Return Of Service Obligation).

I had never heard of the term lateral transfer until last week. Yes one still has to discharge and 're-enlist', but the name scheme has changed, and there might be other perks aside from the citizenship deal.

Cheers from a steamy hot morning,

Wes

http://www.dnd.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2209

There is an agreement on foreign service between Canada and AU concerning reservists. Does anyone have the actual details of this agreement?

Towards_the_gap said:
Ok, apologies for the rushed post previously.

The CF DOES recognise foreign military training, experience and service. I have been granted a slightly lower rank than what I held in the British Army, however all my training and experience is directly transferrable. In fact, some of my training contains skill sets apparently on the wane in the Canadian Army, and so I can be a very valuable asset to my gaining unit.

The key to this was my Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition, which was, AFAIK, completed by DAT, who hold information on all equivalent training for each trade in both the CF and many foreign militaries. You have more chance of getting recognition if your experience was with an ABCA/NATO country of course, due to similarities and standardization.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that unless you have proven civilian qualifications, and are applying for a technical trade, the British Army does not generally accept foreign military experience. I have met former members of the Australian infantry who had to complete CIC at Catterick prior to field army employment, regardless of how much prior experience they had.

I can vouch for that. The UK didn't recognize any of my CF qualifications (AWT, Para Course, Phase 1-3 Inf) and I had to start from scratch. No big deal though as I was far ahead of some of my peers who had had virtually no prior service. When I got back to Canada, the CF didn't have any equivalencies for some of my UK qualifications so they couldn't officially recognize them here. They did recognize some of the basics though (e.g., rank and time in, some career course quals). Funny, we don't seem to have a qualification for Basic Operational malay. Odd ... ;)

However, people with special trade qualifications that are in demand might get away with it these days.

ark said:
http://www.dnd.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2209

There is an agreement on foreign service between Canada and AU concerning reservists. Does anyone have the actual details of this agreement?

You require support of your chain of command - your parent unit will contineu to pay you for your service abroad.  There's a similar MOU in place with the UK.

If you are thinking about it, seek out detailed information in advance, and make arrangements in advance.

Hi there, I'm an New Zealand Army Medic.  I've just completed my intermediate level training (which is the required standard to be deployable).

I'm interested in joining the CF with the goal of becoming a SARTech.  I understand the requirements of being considered for recruitment into the CF are a minimum age of 17, being a Canadian citizen (or in special circumstances being a Permanent Resident with special skills) as well as meeting the minimum education requirements.

What I'm wondering is whether my medical training constitutes special skills that the CF would like to have.  Is there any particular shortage of medics at the moment?

I dont want to go through the whole rigmarole of becoming a permanent resident then being told that I cant even join the CF let alone become a SARTech.

NOTE. The name of the outfit that the majority of members here belong to is called The CANADIAN Armed Forces."  It's for Canadians and those who don't consider being one "rigmarole." :cdn:

IN HOC SIGNO said:
It's for Canadians and those who don't consider being one "rigmarole." :cdn:

I apologise if you took the word "rigmarole" in the wrong context - it was not meant in an disparaging manner towards Canada or the Canadian Forces.  It was used to describe residency procedures - the definition being "A lengthy and complicated procedure" as the process of becoming a resident in almost any country is a convoluted one.

Try the CF Recruiting site's "Chat" feature.  It is up and running, but is not 24/7.

I'm a Soldier in the United States Army, I am stationed at Ft. Riley Kansas as of present. I have about a year left in my term of enlistment, after of which I plan to go home a get my Degree. After that I plan to move to Canada, where to I'm not so sure as of yet. I am Airborne qualified and Sniper Qualified, I'm an Infantryman with 2 years experiance so far, will have just over three after I discharge, I have a deployment to Iraq with another on the way. Should make my E-5 (SGT) before I get out aswell, E-4 (SPC) at the moment though.

Basiclly, my questions are:
As an American, what do I have to do to Enlist?

What are my options with my Current Qualifications?

What Active Units would I be able to join?

At what rank would I enlist as?

This is a dumb question, but are american decorations allowed/authorized to be worn on a Canadian Forces uniform?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Airborne-ATW!

RCL said:
I'm a Soldier in the United States Army, I am stationed at Ft. Riley Kansas as of present. I have about a year left in my term of enlistment, after of which I plan to go home a get my Degree. After that I plan to move to Canada, where to I'm not so sure as of yet. I am Airborne qualified and Sniper Qualified, I'm an Infantryman with 2 years experiance so far, will have just over three after I discharge, I have a deployment to Iraq with another on the way. Should make my E-5 (SGT) before I get out aswell, E-4 (SPC) at the moment though.

Basiclly, my questions are:
As an American, what do I have to do to Enlist?

Meet the current guidelines wrt to age, citizenship, education.  Details of which can be found in numerous locations on this site and at the official recruiting site.  If you meet the basics you go to your local CFRC and fill out the paperwork.

What are my options with my Current Qualifications?

You get your options when you write the CFAT which is similar to the ASVAB. 

What Active Units would I be able to join?

If you are referring to infantry, then you can list your preferences, but the CF will send you to where you are needed.

At what rank would I enlist as?

Private Basic.

This is a dumb question, but are american decorations allowed/authorized to be worn on a Canadian Forces uniform?

For the most part no, the only exceptions I can think of are the ranger and special forces tabs.  Foreign medals are sometimes authorized (ie like the PPCLI snipers), but this is done on a case by case basis.

RCL,

Basically just what Hatchet Man has said. In order to join the CF you must first be a Canadian Citizen. Not many waivers are granted these days to this rule. In fact I have known many extremely qualified personnel told to come back after receiving their citizenship.

All I can say is best of luck with your current enlistment. Stay safe and come back in one piece and ticking. We're always looking for people, and when you've gotten your citizen and applied, I'm sure you'll make a wonderful addition to the team.

Cheers,

MT.

MedTech said:
RCL,

Basically just what Hatchet Man has said. In order to join the CF you must first be a Canadian Citizen. Not many waivers are granted these days to this rule. In fact I have known many extremely qualified personnel told to come back after receiving their citizenship.

All I can say is best of luck with your current enlistment. Stay safe and come back in one piece and ticking. We're always looking for people, and when you've gotten your citizen and applied, I'm sure you'll make a wonderful addition to the team.

Cheers,

MT.

We just finished enrolling a PRes Chaplain, Jewish who is American and only a permanent resident. She had oodles of exp. in the US Navy so it's not impossible. I would imagine her special qualifications played a part in that.

Maybe RCL is interested in Reserve as opposed to Reg Force? In that case he could pick an infantry regiment in whatever city he settles in...provided there was one there.

IN HOC,  I said not many waivers, but it isn't impossible either as you've said. It's funny how it works sometimes, it also has to do with who goes to bat for you at CFRG.

I'm also sure it makes a difference if one is applying for a trade that is severely undermanned.

Back