• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

In response to an Order Paper question, the Liberal goverment released that as of June 17, 2024, 723 firearms identifed in the May 2020 OIC and amendments have been voluntarily surrendered. 66 by businesses and 657 by individuals. The records don't show the circumstances of the surrenders. No indication of any compensation being paid out in the government's response.
I’m curious if that includes anyone facing charges like domestic violence or sexual assault and are required to surrender any firearms. I guess that might not be “voluntary” though. But say, someone is charged and subsequently acquitted or found not guilty but are told “hey, we already have these and we’ll save you the trouble” sort of thing and those fire arms are not returned. That would skew the success or non success of the program.

I’m curious if that includes anyone facing charges like domestic violence or sexual assault and are required to surrender any firearms. I guess that might not be “voluntary” though. But say, someone is charged and subsequently acquitted or found not guilty but are told “hey, we already have these and we’ll save you the trouble” sort of thing and those fire arms are not returned. That would skew the success or non success of the program.
Like, how many of those were say, Glock 17s with the serial numbers filed off, because the catch-and-release misunderstood youth felt guilty? 😉

Like, how many of those were say, Glock 17s with the serial numbers filed off, because the catch-and-release misunderstood youth felt guilty? 😉

No. Those were reported separately as "seized for public safety reasons" or "seized - criminal investigation".

There were no handguns included in the May 2020 OIC ban. This Order Paper question was specific to those firearms.

Again. It’s a ridiculous theory. Rebel News actually showed up on our last one saying it was to train for gun grabs and vaccine enforcement. That should tell you enough…
I agree. Rebel is going to post whatever they can to get people going. On the same note I wouldn't put it past some members of the government or military who would think it's a good idea. Both do enough stupid shit to make it ridiculous but not impossible.

There were no handguns included in the May 2020 OIC ban. This Order Paper question was specific to those firearms.
Ah, seen. I don’t realize the results were specifically filtered for May 2020 OIC-listed weapons. Somewhere in there, is always the possibility of data fog, but I suppose my overly camouflaged point was that sure as shooting 😉, none of the turned in weapons would be from any gang bangers in Toronto on the lazy Susan of revolving door justice

In response to an Order Paper question, the Liberal goverment released that as of June 17, 2024, 723 firearms identifed in the May 2020 OIC and amendments have been voluntarily surrendered. 66 by businesses and 657 by individuals. The records don't show the circumstances of the surrenders. No indication of any compensation being paid out in the government's response.
I’m guessing many of those were from when owners passed away and now their estate was stuck with something that can’t be transferred to anyone.

And don’t underestimate the power of 9’er domestic to get one to empty the safe of now contraband firearms! 😉
Sadly, but fortunately for me, I did score a really good deal on a CZ Shadow 2 from a co-worker facing exactly that scenario with his 9'erD shortly after the handgun ban was announced but before it too effect. I'd been vacillating on buying it. His 9'erD said "sell it before it get seized". Mine said "buy it at the pre-ban agreed upon price". So, I did. The retail price doubled shortly after that.

Back