• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Time to dust this thread off.

Newly updated as of 7 Aug 24

I wonder what the buy back price of an Eryx or Milan ATGM is going to be. It does say Missle Launcher though, so maybe it'll be OK to keep the munitions šŸ˜‰
No, those rounds are governed under Natural Resources Canada (or whatever they are called this week) and the Explosives Act. TLDR- civvies canā€™t own themā€¦

Would that be the spent M72s or deactivated Bazookas, for example, that some folks have ?
It was legal to possess arty or explosive launchers before. For example I have seen a 25mm Hotchkiss anti-tank gun for sale in the past for 15k (literally a towed piece of arty). I have also seen a RPG-7 for sale with two 7.62x39 training rounds. That one I actually considered buying as the cool factor was pretty high.

It was the explosive shells themselves you couldnā€™t possess. The launchers/guns were considered single shot rifles and as such
No, those rounds are governed under Natural Resources Canada (or whatever they are called this week) and the Explosives Act. TLDR- civvies canā€™t own themā€¦

I jest fellas. When I went through the list and saw what they had listed, I thought it was a tad humorous. Trudeau must be expecting a Wolverine uprising.

It was legal to possess arty or explosive launchers before. For example I have seen a 25mm Hotchkiss anti-tank gun for sale in the past for 15k (literally a towed piece of arty). I have also seen a RPG-7 for sale with two 7.62x39 training rounds. That one I actually considered buying as the cool factor was pretty high.

It was the explosive shells themselves you couldnā€™t possess. The launchers/guns were considered single shot rifles and as such were non-restricted before.
Thank god they have these new regs. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen convivence stores robbed using crew served weapons, ATR and rocket launchers......

Thank god they have these new regs. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen convivence stores robbed using crew served weapons, ATR and rocket launchers......
It is quite a shock to see a HMG three man crew pull up in front of a grocery store and put the gun into action.....

Make It Stop My Brain Hurts GIF by Monty Python

Dangerous Good Permitā€¦

Individuals no, but companies can get licensed.

Maybe you could fully retire and contract out MH work so youā€™d need that sort of stuff ;)

Notice how most the stuff banned has no value for anything criminal other than potentially resisting the government? Yet that is the stuff they targeted.

On a unrelated note the RCMP are predicting a decent amount of unrest in the next 5 years to the point the government needs to black out the report. Interesting how that works.

Except the guy with a $5-15,000 firearm is not likely to even be the one causing the problems.
Any PAL holder is a more law abiding citizen than your average Canadian and it makes sense.

1) You basically have to have a clean record to get one, and
2) You are less likely to commit a crime because you have immediate consequences (losing your license and property).

The assorted gun control groups, supported by the Liberals, would have Canadians believe, that:

- a legal firearm in the home increases the chances of a lethal domestic violence incident. The inference is that safe storage doesn't exist.

- PAL holders have learned to fly under the RADAR and pose an imminent threat to society as they are unmonitored by law enforcement who have been coerced into trusting them by the gun lobby;

- PAL holders pose a more lethal threat when they finally do snap because their firearms skills have bene honed by hours of practice on the range.

And, as former Liberal Minister Catherine McKenna said, "if you say if loud enough and often enough people will definitely believe it!". And Canadians, do!

The assorted gun control groups, supported by the Liberals, would have Canadians believe, that:

- a legal firearm in the home increases the chances of a lethal domestic violence incident. The inference is that safe storage doesn't exist.

- PAL holders have learned to fly under the RADAR and pose an imminent threat to society as they are unmonitored by law enforcement who have been coerced into trusting them by the gun lobby;

- PAL holders pose a more lethal threat when they finally do snap because their firearms skills have bene honed by hours of practice on the range.

And, as former Liberal Minister Catherine McKenna said, "if you say if loud enough and often enough people will definitely believe it!". And Canadians, do!
Itā€™s ironic I am of the opinion those groups have made Canadian society more dangerous.

Much like the opinion of some that the police and military are dangerous to society as you have trained individuals in it.

Yes 50% of the Homicides are in 2% of the Counties
Sure, but that still seems to refute the saying.

Besides that, thereā€™s the issue that if people are armed and something does happen, then LEOs have to figure out which one of those folks was the shooter(s).

Either way, even open carry states have restrictions. From what Iā€™ve seen, businesses can (and largely do) restrict whether people go in with firearms or not. So itā€™s a practical PITA because you then have to secure your weapon somewhere before you enter that business.

Sure, but that still seems to refute the saying.

Besides that, thereā€™s the issue that if people are armed and something does happen, then LEOs have to figure out which one of those folks was the shooter(s).

Either way, even open carry states have restrictions. From what Iā€™ve seen, businesses can (and largely do) restrict whether people go in with firearms or not. So itā€™s a practical PITA because you then have to secure your weapon somewhere before you enter that business.
The number of people with CCW permits actually committing offences is extremely small, in reality most cops are not to concerned about CCW permit holders. Open Carry States are more complicated, but eventually people get used to how things work. Wasn't so long ago people had hunting rifles in truck racks here in full view. Canada used to have a lot more CCW going on without most people noticing either. (It still exist, but is pretty much a illusionary permit)

The number of people with CCW permits actually committing offences is extremely small, in reality most cops are not to concerned about CCW permit holders.
Sure, but again, the LEOs arenā€™t magically going to see a bunch of people with guns in an area and know if theyā€™re friendly or not.

They will see a bunch of people with guns, and if I was a cop (I am not), Iā€™d rather not have a bunch of ā€œgood guys with gunsā€ in the area that I have to figure out. The instance of green-on-blue or even blue-on-blue (or blue on green) would be higher.

Sure, but again, the LEOs arenā€™t magically going to see a bunch of people with guns in an area and know if theyā€™re friendly or not.

They will see a bunch of people with guns, and if I was a cop (I am not), Iā€™d rather not have a bunch of ā€œgood guys with gunsā€ in the area that I have to figure out. The instance of green-on-blue or even blue-on-blue (or blue on green) would be higher.
Guns are simply a fact of life here. The key to being either LEO or a CWP Holder in any sort of situation is to think (too many donā€™t on either side of that - but thatā€™s an education and training issue). Iā€™m very careful about when and where I show a weapon - as when I was a LEO, I encountered too many people who donā€™t think before they pull or use their weapon.

Iā€™ve been shot at 9-10 times down here, 7 of those were in a 36hr stretch with LAPD (couldnā€™t pay me enough to work there, as I didnā€™t include the time a guy tried to shoot me but had .40S&W in the mag of his 9mm, or the guy with the Hi Point .45 that didnā€™t fire) . Iā€™ve been shot at more from native reserves in Canadaā€¦

I despise open carry, unless itā€™s uniform duty carry. Mainly as it just says I have a gun and probably donā€™t know anything about it or the law.

Firearms are inanimate objects, so itā€™s not a gun problem itā€™s a human problem.

Back