• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

All the accolades about how he's done in the job aside, he is just a really great guy.

He's shown up at St-Jean with a 2-4 to share a few with his son (who's really going to tell the CDS there's no drinking in the mega?).

He remembers people he may have only met once.

And when he talks to you in front of, and away from the cameras, it's the same person.  THAT is a hard thing to achieve.

He's got a wicked sense of humour (I insulted his Leafs watch).  I mean, we've all seen him kissing the soldier on the cheek.  How many past CDS' would have tried that?

He reminds me of the captain that you think would never get promoted, because they always spoke their mind and said it like it was, and weren't afraid to piss people off.  But someone saw something, and thank God they did, because this crazy, loud captain got promoted to major, then LCol, Col, etc.

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
He said when Hillier was being interviewed for the job of CDS he laid out huge paper on the floor with everything he intended to do, from restructuring and everything.

The urban legend I heard was that the "candidates" for the position were invited to present their "what I'll do if you make me the CDS" speech.  The others came in with fancy PowerPoints and such, and Gen Hillier came in, much like the quote above and basically talked from his FMP.

Probably wanted to take 'em outside and do a sand model!

Edit - silly typo!

Strike said:
(I insulted his Leafs watch). 

>:D Good for you!! We sent him a PEI Rockets jersey during my tenure as the Det Comd there ... his name on the back and everything. Slightly worn of course.  ;)  I simply couldn't resist hauling it on over my uniform for the requisite pic opportunity that presented itself.

;D

Strike said:
He's shown up at St-Jean with a 2-4 to share a few with his son (who's really going to tell the CDS there's no drinking in the mega?).

Wait, he has a son in the CF??

ArmyVern said:
Oh, and if he's had occasion to meet you before, he could pick you out of the crowd to say hello the next time he ran across you too, just to see how you were making out. Lew MacKenzie was also good for that. That's a nice thing to experience for one of us 'men'- and it's something that I appreciated in both of them.

So true Vern. Met General Rick twice, once in uniform and once in civvies and he remembered me from the first meeting almost a year earlier. A straight-forward, honest, no bullshit man. He will certainly be a tough act to follow. :salute:

Even in a crowd of thousands, when he spoke, it felt like he was talking to YOU!!!  You felt appreciated, heard and that he genuine.  He wasn't blowing smoke up your a@#. I think he treated each member of 'his' forces as he would treat his own family and that he thought of his soldiers as his 'family'. He had a great traits that cannot be taught, you either have it or you don't.  And he DEFINITELY had it!!!  I will always remember him calling in his troops on parade in and saying "And you know what I want, take a knee"  The Canadian Forces were lucky to have him. 

I along with many others have the highest respect for the CDS but Peter Worthington of the Toronto Sun asked in his article, " Should a General leave his soldiers during a battle"?

He goes on to say, if the PM wants him to stay, why is the CDS retiring during the A'stan. mission.

Don't jump all over me, just the messenger.

GUNS said:
I along with many others have the highest respect for the CDS but Peter Worthington of the Toronto Sun asked in his article, " Should a General leave his soldiers during a battle"?

He goes on to say, if the PM wants him to stay, why is the CDS retiring during the A'stan. mission.

I think we need to remember that Gen Hillier is a person with a life, just like us.  Word around here (Ottawa) is that his three years as CDS have taken a real toll on him - it's a stressfull job, I would imagine.  His family and his health need him to step back, likely, and take care of what's important.

I don't buy what Peter Worthington said - the mission in A'stan is not one person's mission.  Gen Hillier has (I would assume) a great team working for him, and if he's situated it right, his leaving will not affect the mission.  Worthington's argument holds no more water than the ones of "now that Hillier's leaving, we can go back to our traditional role of peacekeeping, blah blah."  It's not Gen Hillier's mission alone.  I don't expect much will change.

GUNS said:

Don't jump all over me, just the messenger.

Then my question to him and supporters of that thought would be:  "Should it be expected that a General die of old age in fighting a War, or should he "pass the Torch" to younger men with fresh ideas?"

Has Peter Worthington now joined the "Mcdonalds Generation" where we go in and get our burgers and get out in under 5 minutes?  Afghanistan is not a problem that can be solved in a couple of years.  It will take decades to bring peace to that Region.  Does he expect General Hillier to be CDS for the next two or three decades?

Gen Hillier has set the conditions for continued success of the CF by developing a greater understanding by the Canadian people of the CF in general, and the Afghanistan mission specifically.  He is, without a doubt, also the single most important individual to have fostered the return of pride of service within the CF.  As others have said, the mission in Afghanistan in no one man's mission.  It is a military principle to have depth in leadership, and good depth amongst all servies is something the CF now has, much of that due to the fine example that Gen Hiller has provided.  Folks outside the CF, or those inside as well for that matter, may have differing views of Gen Hillier's achievements, but he has shaped what the CF will be capable of achieving for Canadians and the greater global community.  The CF is not without issues, certainly, but Gen Hillier has given a huge amount of his personal capital to the CF and the country.  There is absolutely no shame of dishonour to pass the torch to another CF leader -- none at all!  Godspeed General Rick!  :salute:

G2G

Greymatters said:
Many articles recently are discussing Hillier and saying what a bad CDS he is/was (as if he were already out the door).  Many complain that he was too high-profile, didnt heed his masters.  In general they complain that he doesnt know his place as a lapdog for the ministers.

This is so much crap.  The CDS is supposed to be a bulldog, straining at the leash.  The person who, when the going gets tough, you point at the problem and say "go get'im", not someone who asks "oh, more tea, sir, can I get you a cushion?"

On military matters, the CDS is the subject matter expert (along with his staff and advisors).  Not some politician or bureaucrat who is more concerned with playing favorites than in making sure the equipment is of the best quality and most practical use.  It is the CDS' right, and responsiblity, to point out bad choices by the political leaders we elected, and demand equipment that we dont have to get the job done.

Methinks a lot of these critics out there need a few lessons in what leadership is about and how important it its to have it when in crisis situations or when a job needs to be done quickly and efficiently... 

Well look at where 20years of quiet CDS's have gotten us, and look where 3 years of Hillier has done. I pity the next CDS because no matter how good of a job he does, he will be compared to Hillier.

If his, Peter Worthignton's theory is that the CDS shouldn't leave while his troops are still in battle.  Then the CDS for the Korean War or WW2 would have been around a LONG time.  I didn't quite understand his logic. Peter's, not Hillier's.  And it's normally a 2 year job isn't it?  So, he did stay on longer.  And I can only imagine, for someone like Hillier, who genuinely cares about his troops. that it must be physically and emotionally draining.  He has done a great job!  I personally wish he could stay on forever, but only for selfish reasons.  But, completely understand that isn't a job he could do forever and wish him the best of luck.
I LOVED my Grade 3 teacher, but that doesn't mean that I stayed in Grade 3 forever !!!  Sometimes we have to move on.
And I also don't believe he's gettin 'pushed' out.  As outspoken as he is I can't see him just lying down and taking that!

Great statement, especially the part about inspiring trust in his subordinates. It seems like such a simple thing to earn the trust of your peers and subordinates, but it goes so very far if you genuinely have it.

The question his leaving might pose is why - in all the other public fields - and in politics which is leadership too --- there are not more like him. Hiller is as large as he is --- and this is not said to his detraction --- because leadership in other areas of public life is so flat, feeble and mediocre.

Some politicians are said to have feared or envied him. They would have feared and envied less if they tried to be bigger themselves.

So so true.  Here's hoping the General has inspired some of those in the political field to become more than they are.

I think a lot of the reason most polticians come off as flat and mediocre are:

1. The Main Stream Media - they tend to blow things out of proportion, and if they don't like you, you're s#rewed;
2. Most are flat and mediocre, except for Elsie Wayne and John Crosbie.....remember the Tequila Sheila comment;
3. The public wants them to be flat and mediocre;
4. They act flat and mediocre so the MSM doesn't crucify them..see comment 1.

General Hillier was definitely not flat and certainly not mediocre....one can only hope this is the first in a long line of CDS' who are soldiers (sailors or airpersons) first.

ArmyVern said:
Integrity.
Honesty.
Loyalty.
Courage.
Diligence.
Fairness.
Responsibility.

Pride.

He does them all awesomely well.  ;)

Oh, and if he's had occasion to meet you before, he could pick you out of the crowd to say hello the next time he ran across you too, just to see how you were making out. Lew MacKenzie was also good for that. That's a nice thing to experience for one of us 'men'- and it's something that I appreciated in both of them.

Their ivory towers weren't built to skyscraper level, rather they built bungalows. Ground level. Everyone part of that team, and certainly not shy to express their thanks to us "little people" for our efforts and hard work -- and really, had an uncanny ability to dispel the myth of there actually being any "little people" in the CF.

Leadership by example --- at it's finest.

Had the pleasure last Thursday, all true Armyvern.  :) And if he shakes your hand you will remember that for a long time and aviod it a second time, what a grip.

Mods Feel Free To Move:

Hillier’s shoes, hard to fill? That’s an understatement

Rick Hillier was too able, too outspoken, too likable and too impatient to last for more than a few years in the upper echelons of Ottawa. Yet in little more than three years as Chief of the Defence Staff he achieved more than half a dozen of his predecessors did combined.

Virtually single-handedly, Hillier reversed the disgraceful mistreatment of the Canadian Forces by the Chretien Liberals in the 1990s. He transformed the CF into a modern fighting force. He persuaded and bullied a succession of hapless defence ministers into doing the right thing - about equipment, about budget, and about Afghanistan. Always and everywhere, he stood up for his people. For all those reasons, Canadian soldiers don’t just like the man: They love him. To say that his shoes will be hard to fill, doesn’t quite cut it.

The broader public didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to Rick Hillier until July of 2005, when he famously said of the Taliban: These are detestable murderers and scumbags, Ill tell you that right up front. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties.

The context of those remarks was a public push by the then-Liberal government to prepare Canadians for a much bolder and more dangerous military mission than we had seen since the Korean War. And of course, Hillier was exactly right: The Taliban are detestable murderers and scumbags. There’s no other way to describe people who behead teachers and doctors and blow up children by remote control.

But Hillier’s choice of words, as often seemed to happen to him, were too vivid for us to leave in context. Overnight he became the brash general, and the outspoken Newfoundlander with a gift of the gab. With that came popularity and a big public persona that made politicians twitchy. And the chattering classes were delighted to be scandalized by this throwback, who could say with a straight face: We are the Canadian Forces and our job is to be able to kill people.

When Hillier said that, soldiers, sailors and airmen across Canada and around the world whispered a silent thank-you. Finally, someone with the stones to tell the truth. But in Ottawa, among the flatterers and the courtiers, honesty goes down very poorly indeed. Its impolite. It makes all the liars look bad.

And that was the least of it. Behind the scenes, Hillier was bulldogging past decades-worth of bureaucratic inertia. In 2005, after he persuaded Prime Minister Paul Martin and Bill Graham, then defence minister, that Canada could take on the bigger mission in Kandahar, Hillier needed gear - trucks, armoured vehicles, tanks, helicopters, planes. He needed everything and he needed it now.

So never mind the traditional procurement process, which typically involved at least a decade of bidding by various global defence contractors and thousands of pages of reports. Instead, Hillier in effect sketched a wish list on the back of a napkin and handed it to the defence minister. My guess is that this took him all of five minutes. Miraculously, it worked.

That ruffled feathers in a serious way, because by then there was big money at stake - billions. Corporations such as Lockheed-Martin and Boeing were vying for the right to build aircraft for Canada. Lobbyists for one firm would whisper, anonymously, that Hillier was too friendly with lobbyists from the other. The backbiting was intense. In the end the general shut them all up, by persuading the new Harper government to buy aircraft from both companies, as well as helicopters, ships, trucks, personnel carriers, tanks and other badly needed materiel.

There were more twists: The very Liberals who’d claimed prideful ownership of the Afghan mission in 2005 turned dead against it the moment they fell from power in 2006. The Harper government developed a mania for controlling every speech by any senior government figure and tried to impose this on Hillier. He resisted. He clashed with his new defence minister, Gordon O’Connor, and won.

Through it all, Hillier continued speaking out in defence of his soldiers and in defence of the mission in Afghanistan. He developed a madcap friendship with comedian Rick Mercer. He persuaded the chief executive of Tim Hortons to set up a franchise in Kandahar. He flattered his troops as though he was their proud father, rather than their boss. And he continued to take the calls, at all hours of the day or night, each time a Canadian soldier fell in combat. Those moments, he said, were always his worst. And somehow, you believed him.

The supreme irony of Rick Hillier’s career? His greatest gifts are those we once expected of politicians: vision, idealism, brains, eloquence, bluntness. Yet he’ll never be in politics. He said so categorically this week. The reason why is obvious five minutes into any of his speeches: He’s too dead-honest to have anything but loathing for that profession, as it now exists in our capital city. A sad state indeed.

-30-

michael.dentandt@sunmedia.ca

Back