• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Geo:

Canada promotes a lot of nice folks to General or Flag ranks.  That doesn't mean that they are the right people for the job.  Senior leaders need to maintain a focus on the future of the institution they lead.  Not next week, but a decade or two out.

For too long, we've had leaders in place who might be able to find next week if an EA pointed to in on their desk planner, but the concept of looking to a 5, 10 or 20 year horizon was foreign to them.  I've seen "strategic thinkers" focussing on day-to-day admin issues.

We need a series of leaders who can address today's issues (mostly through their staff) while maintianing the aim of modernization and transformation.

Really ,what's needed for the CDS is a good Maoist - someone who embraces a process of continual revolution.

dapaterson said:
Geo:
Canada promotes a lot of nice folks to General or Flag ranks.  That doesn't mean that they are the right people for the job.  Senior leaders need to maintain a focus on the future of the institution they lead.  Not next week, but a decade or two out.

For too long, we've had leaders in place who might be able to find next week if an EA pointed to in on their desk planner, but the concept of looking to a 5, 10 or 20 year horizon was foreign to them.  I've seen "strategic thinkers" focussing on day-to-day admin issues.

We need a series of leaders who can address today's issues (mostly through their staff) while maintianing the aim of modernization and transformation.

Really ,what's needed for the CDS is a good Maoist - someone who embraces a process of continual revolution.

No arguments from ever here..........

What the CDS could do is rotate through the gyms in the NCR.  It would be good for folks who use a gym other than 101 to see "Da Boss" during PT.  (Maybe they wouldn't slouch over the machines  ;D.)

the scene:

>Everyone is walking on the treadmills at a leasurely pace.
>
>In walks Hillier with sweat towel in hand
>
>Everyone's subconscience response. "Uh oh. There's my supervisor."
>
>All the treadmills start to speed up in unison for no particular reason.  ;D

Seeing as HE is everyone's supervisor...that would be funny.
Just so long as they did it together...1-2-3--1

Today I had the privilege participating in a circuit training exercise with General Rick Hillier. Being in Gagetown for the Red Friday gathering he decided to do Pt with the PLQ(L) course I am currently teaching on. He was not the fastest, nor the slowest, but he gave his all from start to finish. Once finished he gave a short talk on the importance of physical fitness and leadership training in the CF. He stated he did not care if you were a mechanic,cook, or infanteer everyone would meet the same fitness standards. There you have it straight from the horses mouth.

The funny thing about it all was when he walked in it was like a celebrity had entered the building. When was the last time you felt that way about the CDS. He is the epitome of leadership and I hope is around for a long time to come. Keep up the good work sir!

Patrolman said:
The funny thing about it all was when he walked in it was like a celebrity had entered the building.

As it is when any good Dragoon enters a building....        ;D

Regards

Ahhh...... it"s because it was a Newfoundlander who entered the room
The fact he was a Dragoon to boot is just "icing" on his cake.....

:)

geo said:

:cheers:

(Having lived in Labrador City, I am part of the mainlander side of the Newfoundlander family :))

geo said:

;D

A major CanWest article assessing the General. Seems fairly reasonable to me.

Judging the general: Blunt, folksy and savvy, Gen. Rick Hillier has succeeded in leading the Armed Forces back into the centre of Canadian life. But after two years in charge, has he gained ground in his mission to remake the military?
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/insight/story.html?id=33fe728f-ea3b-4078-96c6-b690265aa147&p=1

Mark
Ottawa

"Hillier has many challenges, but he's the right guy in the right position at the right time."

+1 Indeed.

It's great to hear the CDS is getting glowing reviews in the papers. The caption with the story though has incorrectly labeled him as the commander-in-chief .

Being from "The Rock", the man could do no wrong.

From a military POV, I agree with a prior post, " the right person, in the right position, at the right time"

The next CDS will have his/her work cutout for them.

Back