• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

there are comparisons to be made: the South Vietnamese gov't was corrupt, many of the South Vietnamese soldiers were incompetent, and the media at home was doing everything possible to turn the public against a Rightful fight versus a despicable foe.

Globe and Mail's Lawrence Martin said:
Paul Martin may be having second thoughts about coming under Mr. Hillier's sway. The last time I talked to him, the former prime minister recalled how he had received assurances from Gen. Hillier that our Afghan role would be limited enough so as to leave sufficient military resources for a peacekeeping mission in Darfur, or Haiti or the Middle East. "That was what we agreed on," Mr. Martin emphatically noted. So much for the agreement. The Department of National Defence now says there isn't the capability.

Well this is pure BS.  Under Paul Martin's government, the CF could do Afghanistan and one of those other (smaller) missions.  Then we had this thing called an election.  Steven Harper's government wanted to continue with Afghanistan and initiate a massive force expansion.  The new government's priority replaced the previous government's priority.

Martin doesn't like us much, does he?. This must be the third bit of his shabby mudslinging I have read . He appears to have a very deep-seated dislike (if "hatred" is too strong a word...) for us in the military. From what I have seen of his writings, he never hesitates to resort to exaggeration, sensationalism, false analogies and all the other tricks of poison journalism.

Like a number of Canadians of his apparent political bent, Martin is disturbed by seeing a decisive, outspoken, intelligent, well-informed and forceful character leading the CF. They doubtless prefer the forgettable quiet grey bureaucrats who were traditionally neither seen nor heard (while too often providing little real leadership to the CF). The CF (and especially the Army) are geting attention and prominence (and prehaps even respect...) in Canada to a level unheard of since WWII. At the same time, Hillier and other leaders (and even junior soldiers) are speaking up and speaking out in all kinds of fora, from media interviews to conferences to schools and universities, telling our story much better and more clearly than ever before. All of this makes it difficult for Martin, Staples and others to peddle their views unopposed.  Thus it is only natural that they do all they can to discredit him.

Cheers

pbi said:
Martin doesn't like us much, does he?. This must be the third bit of his shabby mudslinging I have read . He appears to have a very deep-seated dislike (if "hatred" is too strong a word...) for us in the military. From what I have seen of his writings, he never hesitates to resort to exaggeration, sensationalism, false analogies and all the other tricks of poison journalism.

Like a number of Canadians of his apparent political bent, Martin is disturbed by seeing a decisive, outspoken, intelligent, well-informed and forceful character leading the CF. They doubtless prefer the forgettable quiet grey bureaucrats who were traditionally neither seen nor heard (while too often providing little real leadership to the CF). The CF (and especially the Army) are getting attention and prominence (and perhaps even respect...) in Canada to a level unheard of since WWII. At the same time, Hillier and other leaders (and even junior soldiers) are speaking up and speaking out in all kinds of fora, from media interviews to conferences to schools and universities, telling our story much better and more clearly than ever before. All of this makes it difficult for Martin, Staples and others to peddle their views unopposed.  Thus it is only natural that they do all they can to discredit him.

Cheers

I take it to mean that he is a prat and shoots from the lip.

I have no time to read Lawrence Martin's drivel.  And not only because he's Jean Chretien's biographer!

One lazy Sunday last month, I was watching Question Period, and they had Lawrence Martin on, and the topic as Afghanistan.  Well, Martin got into this conspriracy theory tirade about how we are "taking part in George Bush's war for oil to make nice with the Americans" or some such rot.  It too Craig Oliver and Jane Taber a full three seconds to recover from their shock of hearing such a simple, sophomoric response, and continue the discussion on a different tangent.

Since his pal Cretch got booted out of office, Martin has lost it.

Israel considers asking Canada to help stem flow of arms to Hezbollah
Kelly Patrick, CanWest News Service; National Post
Published: Wednesday, August 16, 2006
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/index.html

Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier, speaking to reporters following a speech in St. John's Tuesday, would not commit on whether Canada has the capability to contribute troops to peacekeeping efforts in southern Lebanon.

''Whether we have the capability to contribute there would be entirely dependent on the kind of mission, the kind of mandate and the kind of job that a force would have to do,'' he said. ''Whether we should go there or not is entirely the prime minister's and the government of Canada's decision. I could offer military advice, but I would do that privately.''

Seems like the CDS is "staying in his lane".  Unlike Mr. Martin.

Gen (Ret’d) Paul Manson (Air Force – fighter pilot), who was CDS about 20 years ago, penned an interesting piece in today’s Globe and Mail which is reproduced here in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060825.wxcohillier25/BNStory/specialComment/home 
He's our man
Rick Hillier tells it like it is, and that's what we want in our top soldier, says former chief of the defence staff PAUL MANSON

PAUL MANSON

From Friday's Globe and Mail

In General Rick Hillier, Canada has a Chief of the Defence Staff whose unique style has garnered a lot of attention, while generating a degree of controversy. He has been criticized in particular for his outspokenness and directness. But Canadians should consider themselves fortunate to have our top military officer tell it like it is.

Not only has Gen. Hillier's straight shooting done wonders for the morale of the troops he commands, but it has allowed him to catch the attention of the government and the general public about the issues at stake in a way no previous chief, myself included, was able to. As a result, we are all the better for it.

Past chiefs of the defence staff, with few exceptions, have been low-profile generals or admirals with virtually no name recognition, in keeping with the long-standing tradition in this country that senior military persons not intrude on the domain of the politicians or enter the limelight unless absolutely necessary. Today, by contrast, scarcely a day goes by without a media story in which Gen. Hillier is not highlighted.

Times have changed, and the reasons are evident. The transition began with the end of the Cold War, and it accelerated with the sad Somalia episode in the early 1990s, the replacement of classical peacekeeping by near-war operations of the kind encountered in Bosnia and Kosovo, and now Canada's involvement in a real shooting war in Afghanistan, with its unaccustomed level of casualties and controversy.

In this changed environment, Gen. Hillier has been criticized from time to time for his frank language, using terms such as "scumbags" and "a bag of snakes" in describing Canada's Taliban enemies in Afghanistan. Due allowance is made, however, for the fact that he is a colourful Newfoundlander, given to refreshing directness in public pronouncements about the armed forces. Canadians seem to like it, and the media, always ready for a good story, play up the Hillier angle with glee.

But there are critics who believe that his outgoing style transcends the bounds of good governance and that his silver-tongued persuasiveness led -- or misled -- the Liberals into what might become an Iraq-type quagmire in Afghanistan. There have been rumours that he is at odds with Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor, or that the Harper government is uncomfortable about his past closeness to the Martin Liberals, who appointed him Chief of the Defence Staff in 2004.

These criticisms are largely a matter of opinion, there being no serious suggestion that Gen. Hillier has exceeded the legal authority of his office. What really matters, then, is whether he is providing the kind of leadership that Canada needs for its armed forces at this critical time in its history.

On balance, it appears that he is. From the moment he put the fourth Maple Leaf on his epaulettes, he took a top-down, activist approach. He made radical changes to the organizational structure of the Canadian Forces, eliminating some organizations and creating a range of new operational commands. He has advised the Harper government, with considerable success, on the need to re-equip the military and to streamline the dysfunctional procurement system. He has begun to increase the size of the armed forces through improvements to the recruiting system. And, just as important, he has done much to bring the military back into prominence after years of obscurity.

Historians will ultimately judge his performance on what happens in Afghanistan. As a former commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Kabul, he probably knows as much as any Canadian about the military situation in that country. There can be no doubt that this command experience in Afghanistan, together with a similar tour of duty as commander of a NATO multinational division in Bosnia six years ago, gives him a level of operational credibility rarely seen in the Canadian military since the Second World War.

To be sure, there is some uneasiness amongst the navy and air force communities about Gen. Hillier's intense emphasis on the army, and what is seen by some as a subjugation of the sea and air elements, with possible long-term detriment to the concept of balanced forces. In response, he would probably point to recent government announcements about plans to purchase major new equipment for the navy and air force. The real test will come when the new command structure matures and shows its worth, and when the new equipment finds its way into the hands of those in uniform.

But the best measure of Gen. Hillier's effectiveness is the extent to which he is revered by the rank and file of the Canadian Forces. He tells it like it is without bureaucratic embellishment. He talks to the troops at every opportunity, directly and without notes, and he does it exceedingly well. Despite the casualties, morale is higher than it has been in a long time, and it shows in the military's performance, not just on the ground in Afghanistan but in all environments. For this alone, he deserves full credit.

He is still relatively new in the job, and there will be tough times ahead. There will continue to be sniping by those who do not like or appreciate his style. To this point, however, Rick Hillier has shown Canadians that he is the right man to be Chief of the Defence Staff at a time when the demands of the position are very high, indeed. For this, Canadians can be thankful.

Paul Manson, chief of the defence staff from 1986 to 1989, is president of the Ottawa-based Conference of Defence Associations Institute.

Those who follow my ramblings on Army.ca will know that I am old and old fashioned, too: I believe that, by and large, generals ought to be quiet.  I mentioned elsewhere in army.ca - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40460/post-344006.html#msg344006 - that while
Traditionally and constitutionally public servants … are all expected to be loyal to and to work in pursuit of the policies and priorities of the elected government of the day.  Thus a manager … and a policy analyst … and a branch head … are all obliged to get behind the government’s priorities – even when that involves e.g. cuts to their own programmes, perhaps to their own jobs.  Equally traditionally it was understood that this applied only to the civil service; the armed services had, it was acknowledged, slightly different loyalties and responsibilities.  The late, lamented Mr. Berry is the exception which proves the rule: civil servants are not, in the normal course of events, expected to stand in harm’s way and lay down their lives for their country; sailors and soldiers are and their leaders, in the capitals of the world, were understood to have obligations to defend their fighting men and women against e.g. the budget cuts necessitated by political or bureaucratic mismanagement.

That all changed in the ‘60s and ‘70s when, led by Washington, there was more and more integration of civil and military staffs in defence ministries/HQs and increased influence exerted by senior military officers in the ongoing national policy (and budget) debates.  The military has been politicized, not just in Canada, either.  Senior officers, especially the most senior officers, like Gen. Hillier have a voice in the bureaucratic corridors of power: they should have.  It, politicization, brings rewards and risks.  The risk is that the bureaucratic centre might neither respect nor trust the defence staff.  That is, I believe the case in Canada; I believe it has been the case since, at least, the mid 1990s when I got a chance to observe it close up.

I have been especially critical of Gen (Ret’d) Maurice Baril who, I believe – actually I’m convinced, lied and denigrated his own soldiers when he decided to become totally political and support then Prime Minister Chrétien in his lie which he told to cover up the fact that he did not want to break a family holiday to attend the funeral of King Hussein of Jordan.  I believe Gen (Ret’d) Baril crossed an important, albeit invisible line and in so doing disgraced himself and dangerously weakened the trust which must exist between the centre (especially the most senior bureaucrats in the Privy Council Office) and the defence staff.

I was also critical of Gen (Ret’d) Henault who, I suggested, was engaging in cheerleading for the policies of the government-of-the-day.  That is also wrong.

I was sceptical about the lock-step in which General Hillier and (then) Minster Graham appeared to be marching.  I believe General Hillier is well within his lane when he calls the enemy – and they are the enemyscumbags and compares them to a ball of snakes.  I also believe it is right and proper for him to remind military personnel and, indeed, all of us that the Canadian Forces is not the public service: you kill people and put your lives at risk for the likes of me.  I am equally convinced that General Hillier must continue to stay away from saying what our defence policy should be – unless, of course, he’s running for office.  It is his duty to advise his minister (and his deputy) and the centre on the resources he thinks he needs to implement the government’s policies, as he understand them.  There is a line there – it may not be straight and bright but it is clear enough.

I agree with Gen (Ret’d) Manson that General Hillier has not crossed the line.

I remain sceptical about admirals and generals at press conferences.  I understand that they are necessary, that we, too, have to win the propaganda part of 4GW.  I don’t have to like it.

For too long the CF was riddled with careerism and morale suffered for it.  When a senior officer had the guts to speak out they were quickly shuffled out the door.  Finally, we have a leader who is more concerned with his men and his duty than kissing political butt.  That is what true leadership is.  Of course, I couldn't be prouder that he is also a zipperhead.

Edward Campbell:  Well said.  But in a country where the people have been almost unaware of the militay, and of senior military persons (unlike the UK and US), a bit of the "silver-tongued devil" is all to the good unless the line into government (as opposed to strictly military) policy is crossed.
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/04/silver-tongued-devil.html

As to press, tell it to the Marines.

United against not nice people,

Mark
Ottawa

A rather scathing article at Macleans, but it certainly puts things in a historical perspective:  http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/canada/article.jsp?content=20060828_132392_132392

Anyone know any true poll numbers for public support currently for the Afghan mission???

josh said:
Anyone know any true poll numbers for public support currently for the Afghan mission???

Unfortunately, I have been unable to uncover the methodology used in the Strategic Counsel poll but they all have to be taken with a grain of salt as so often it is the question that is asked that determines the answer.

josh: I actually did not find it "scathing" (given the usual biases)  but remarkably well-researched compared to almost anything I've seen in our media.
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/03/afstan-update-about-four-months-late.html

Mark
Ottawa

Boy, if we start to believe blogs we're really in trouble. ;D

I have had the pleasure to have had one on one discusions with Gen Hillier on 2 separate occasions and find him a breathe of fresh air compared to the martinets before him who wouldn't give an NCO the time of day, let alone talk to him!

Very straight forward and honest, without the political double-speak that seems all too common within NDHQ. I realise for his detractors that they would much prefer a talking head who merely parrots what they want to hear and provide zero confidence in the troops, like several of our previous "leaders".

So, General Hillier was born in 1955. If he retires after a 5 year term as CDS, he will still have a few years before mandatory retirement.... Will he be forced to retire, or could he just take another position, maybe something in Washington or NATO?

thanx

I doubt anyone here would have the honest answer.  You would be best to ask him what he 'foresees' in the future.  Retired Generals, like unemployed Politicians, usually have no problem finding a high profile job.  I am sure he has nothing to worry about.

*jokingly* I heard the local Wal Mart is hiring door greeters again.

But seriously I think he would have to take retirement as a CF member.

George is pretty will bang on with his statement. He can find some sort of employment.

eliminator said:
So, General Hillier was born in 1955. If he retires after a 5 year term as CDS, he will still have a few years before mandatory retirement.... Will he be forced to retire, or could he just take another position, maybe something in Washington or NATO?

thanx

I don't think CDS is a fixed term. Although the longest serving one appears to have been good old J Dex (Dextraxe 72-77).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_of_the_Defence_Staff_%28Canada%29

Back