• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Ah, may we dare to dream.

However to keep this current.

Today I read and saw on CBC (GASP!!) the fact that the military is getting a raise (un-officially) in the next budget and that we are upgrading the CF-18's to a "state of the art" combat suite (official).

I do believe the minority government thing is working in our favour. And about bloody time too!

Oh yee if too much faith.  Don't you know the gov't will be forced to call election because their gay marriage bill won't pass.  We will get the NDP as a majority gov't and the military will be regulated to acts of kindness and snow shoveling.

???

Me have to much faith?

If there is one person around here that can be accused of that, it sure as hell ain't me.

:P

"I do believe the minority government thing is working in our favour. And about bloody time too!"

Zipper said:
Today I read and saw on CBC (GASP!!) the fact that the military is getting a raise (un-officially) in the next budget and that we are upgrading the CF-18's to a "state of the art" combat suite (official).

Don't tease us!! :P

Slim

The raise would have happened anyway and the CF-18 upgrade was already in progress.

Pencil Tech said:
The raise would have happened anyway and the CF-18 upgrade was already in progress.

HA, I knew it was to good to be true. It was already DONE!! Argh!

It is all part of the new recycling strategy.  If you see a headline that was good news three yrs ago you can use it as long as the piece of kit is one that people want to see fixed.  Cf-18 good Seaking-bad

;D ;D ;D

I had the Opportunity to serve with him in Germany as my Battle captain and then again as my Squadron Commander a few years later he was my Commanding officer He was the one who sent me off to Saudi Arabia during Desert shield and Desert Storm. He was always looking out for the â Å“Menâ ? his belief was that the Non-Commissioned members of the regiment were there for the â Å“long haulâ ? while the officers were there for 2-4 years. He set the standard for other Commanding Officers, Brigade Commanders to follow. I know for a fact that he would never ask any one to do something that he would not be willing to do himself.
I had to opportunity to ask him what he thought about being promoted to Full Bird Col. He saidâ ? I stop being a soldier and become a politicianâ ? This is one of the necessary evils of getting up in rank.
I know that he will do an outstanding job as CDS.......... Watch and shoot!

As for the MGS welcome to the new way of war fighting!!!!!!

Too Poor    

As for the MGS welcome to the new way of war fighting!!!!!!

I think you meant to say the new way of peace keeping.

I have heard some rumours about Gen Hillier's vision of the 5,000 man brigade that the liberals promised. I heard that he wants to start moving on it right away and that he wants it in Gagetown. I know that there is a current thread on the 5,000 man issue but there are no references to what Hillier has to say in it. Could anyone do some rumour busting for me, or direct me to the applicable links?

CANADA'S NEWLY minted chief of defence staff has cancelled his debut on the international scene in Brussels. Gen. Rick Hillier, who was sworn in as the military's top soldier earlier this month, decided against attending the NATO leaders' summit tomorrow.

Hillier was expected to be at Prime Minister Paul Martin's side during the day-long summit in Brussels that will focus strongly on Afghanistan -- the location of Canada's most important military commitment.

"I don't know why he cancelled," said an official in the PM's office.

Chiefs of defence staff traditionally accompany their country's leaders to NATO summits.

But defence department spokesman Lt.-Cmdr. Nathalie Garcia said, "Since Canada was so well represented at this meeting and the fact that he's just started this new job, he felt that he might be better off staying here and becoming more familiar with the files -- the files that are going to need immediate attention."

An official close to Defence Minister Bill Graham pointed out that Hillier joined him at a NATO meeting earlier this month.

"And he was told that the other chiefs of defence staff are not going (to Brussels)," the official said.

Martin will meet privately with a half-dozen heads of state during the NATO summit, including British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Martin has been left off U.S. President George W. Bush's dance card, but Canadian officials brushed off the snub, insisting the PM and Bush speak frequently on the phone.

Published reports indicated Bush would use the NATO meeting to press Canada to send troops to Iraq, either to patrol or instruct local soldiers.

Senior federal officials say Martin will only commit to sending 30 Canadian military instructors to Jordan.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2005/02/21/937623-sun.html

Slim said:
CANADA'S NEWLY minted chief of defence staff has cancelled his debut on the international scene in Brussels. Gen. Rick Hillier, who was sworn in as the military's top soldier earlier this month, decided against attending the NATO leaders' summit tomorrow.

Hillier was expected to be at Prime Minister Paul Martin's side during the day-long summit in Brussels that will focus strongly on Afghanistan -- the location of Canada's most important military commitment.

"I don't know why he cancelled," said an official in the PM's office.

Chiefs of defence staff traditionally accompany their country's leaders to NATO summits.

But defence department spokesman Lt.-Cmdr. Nathalie Garcia said, "Since Canada was so well represented at this meeting and the fact that he's just started this new job, he felt that he might be better off staying here and becoming more familiar with the files -- the files that are going to need immediate attention."

An official close to Defence Minister Bill Graham pointed out that Hillier joined him at a NATO meeting earlier this month.

"And he was told that the other chiefs of defence staff are not going (to Brussels)," the official said.

Martin will meet privately with a half-dozen heads of state during the NATO summit, including British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Martin has been left off U.S. President George W. Bush's dance card, but Canadian officials brushed off the snub, insisting the PM and Bush speak frequently on the phone.

Published reports indicated Bush would use the NATO meeting to press Canada to send troops to Iraq, either to patrol or instruct local soldiers.

Senior federal officials say Martin will only commit to sending 30 Canadian military instructors to Jordan.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2005/02/21/937623-sun.html

Thanks Slim.
Is this something to ask about?
A punishment for his 'lashing' out?

GENOMS Soldier said:
Thanks Slim.
Is this something to ask about?
A punishment for his 'lashing' out?

I kind of wondered that myself...

Here's a thought - PMs about to make a keynote speech (for him) at NATO, apparently saying we're going to pony up, within 24-48 hours of his Finance Minister bringing in a budget, at the same time Hillier is writing a new defence policy and Rachel Welch is writing a new foreign policy.

Any bets this is being done on the "fly" as we speak.  In which case CDS may be better back here where he can talk to many in his department and call the PM for one-on-ones.

Just a thought.

I am not yet ready to get overly concerned.

I think the PM has got some motivation to appear a little stronger on the international scene and right now the stars are in awful close proximiity.

I am decidedly curious as to what things are going to look like by Friday.

Well he has spoken,now lets see him put his balls were his mouth is.
If not then I will hang up my uniform in shame as we have had many espouse the same rhetoric but if he wins I will stay till I'm 60 and kiss his Zipper Head Arse. :salute:

Back