• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Diefenbreaker"

Spencer100

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
STEVEN CHASE

Globe and Mail Update

August 28, 2008 at 10:52 AM EDT

INUVIK — Stephen Harper says he will name Canada's new flagship icebreaker after former prime minister John Diefenbaker – a fellow Tory – in a move that puts a clearly Conservative stamp on his high-profile Arctic sovereignty agenda.

The Prime Minister announced the move in Inuvik Thursday as he concludes a brief tour of the Arctic before an expected federal election call.

When it's completed in 2017, the John G. Diefenbaker will replace the Louis St. Laurent, which is currently the most powerful icebreaker in Canada and was named after Canada's 12th prime minister, a Liberal.

The Tories first announced $780-million in funding for the new vessel in the 2008 federal budget but didn't name the ship at the time.

Harper on election-style tour of the Arctic

The Prime Minister's sweeping visit included Tuktoyaktuk on the Mackenzie Delta to the historic gold rush town of Dawson in the Yukon

Mr. Diefenbaker, Canada's 13th prime minister, succeeded Mr. St. Laurent in power in 1957 and the Conservatives say the new ship named for the Tory leader will be bigger and more powerful than its predecessor.

“When it launches for the first time into the frigid Canadian waters, the Diefenbreaker, as it is almost certain to be nicknamed, will be a crowning achievement for our country,” Mr. Harper said.

The new vessel will be the pride of Canada's coast guard fleet and is the single biggest budget item in Mr. Harper's Arctic initiative, which seeks to reassert Canadian control over this country's Far North as global hunger grows for polar petroleum riches.

Mr. Harper said the new vessel name is appropriate because Mr. Diefenbaker championed the Far North during his time in office. It was the Saskatchewan leader's government that established Inuvik in the late 1950s and he was the first sitting prime minister to travel north of the Arctic Circle, Mr. Harper noted.

The Tory leader's event yesterday was designed to evoke memories of Mr. Diefenbaker's prime ministerial visit to Inuvik in 1961, when he officially inaugurated the town.

“I can think of no better name for this [new] ship than the name of the man who spoke a few metres from where I am standing today,” the prime minister said as he stood outside a school in downtown Inuvik where Mr. Diefenbaker delivered a speech 47 years ago.

Mr. Harper is an admirer of Mr. Diefenbaker and in some ways has mirrored him. Both men would be described as western Canadian populists and both first took power by winning minority governments. Like Mr. Diefenbaker, Mr. Harper has set out to make the North a major item in his government's agenda.

“John George Diefenbaker, like Sir. John A. MacDonald, was a prime minister with a dream, not just seeing the great expanse of the country but the greatness that Canada and Canadians should aspire to,” Mr. Harper said.

He noted that Mr. Diefenbaker's government commenced a massive infrastructure program in the North, called “Roads to Resources” that built over 1400 miles of road through the territories including the Dempster highway linking Inuvik to southern Canada.

“Prime Minister Diefenbaker is no longer with us but the geopolitical importance of the Arctic and Canada's interests in it have never been greater,” he said.

The naming of the Diefenbaker caps a week of Arctic announcements for Mr. Harper as he prepares for what is widely expected to be an election call in early September.

Despite a pledge to set fixed election dates – he had designated October 19, 2009 as the first – Mr. Harper is expected to ask the governor general to dissolve Parliament next month, saying opposition parties are frustrating his ability to govern.

This week Mr. Harper has laid out a series of pro-Arctic announcements that aim to demonstrate he is standing up for Canada in the polar region, including a defence of the Northwest Passage against foreign nations that consider it international waters and a drive to identify and claim Far North petroleum and mineral wealth for Canadians.

On Tuesday, he announced a $100-million map the Far North's mineral and petroleum wealth, “to help prospectors and producers find the vast stores of gas, oil, gold, diamonds and other wealth buried beneath the tundra.”

On Wednesday, he announced that Canada is expanding by half a million square kilometres the amount of Arctic Ocean it will consider to be Canadian territory for the purpose of policing pollution violations, and will make it mandatory for all ships entering its polar waters to report their presence.

“These initiatives are real, tangible expressions of our determination to develop and protect our true north,” Mr. Harper said.

Sweet thread name.  I approve of this name.  Diefenbaker rocks.

the man that single handedly destroyed our avaiation industry...yeah great name....

A post at The Torch--links there:

The Diefenbreaker--in 2017!?!
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/08/diefenbreaker-in-2017.html

Good grief. The Louis St. Laurent will be almost 50 years old before it's replaced by the John G. Diefenbaker. It's all very good to name the vessel, but why nine years to build--with a great deal of luck (keep the JSS/MSPV fiascos in mind)? That is just not good enough, buy the damn ship offshore. And what about the Coast Guard's four other aging icebreakers?

Hell, at this pace by the time we get a new icebreaking fleet there won't be much ice left to break if the global warmers are right. Maybe the slowness in replacing our vessels is a sign that the Conservatives now really are believers

As for offshore, just as an example:

"About 60 percent of the world’s icebreakers have been delivered by Aker Yards Group shipyards."

More on Finnish-owned Aker Arctic Technology Inc.

Mark
Ottawa

Picture of Icebreaker

Polar 8 part 2  ::)

This is getting drawn out more than BSG...

I wa lucky, I actually got to see the only chunk of our Polar 8 Icebreaker made. It was a slab of metal that they were testing to see what they would make the hull out of. I think they spent 35 million without building anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_8

What "Polar class" will this new icebreaker be?  I am assuming not as big.

The cancellation of the Avro Arrow was incredibly stupid.Diefenbaker
destroyed a cutting edge Aviation Industry.Those great minds went
elsewhere,the United States,NASA.The ship deserves a better name.

Huzzah said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of polotics.........

Huzzah said:
The cancellation of the Avro Arrow was incredibly stupid.

No. The actions taken after the cancellation of the CF-105 were stupid.

Huzzah said:

Absolute rubbish!

The Arrow, had any government allowed it to go ahead, would have disarmed Canada.

The project was opposed by, inter alia, the Treasury, the Naval Staff, the General Staff and a goodly proportion of the Air Staff - for good reasons. Diefenbaker, as he should have, followed the best available financial and military advice. He made the correct decision.

It was a good airplane, probably even a very good airplane but not one that could be sold to anyone else. It would have been a HUGE white elephant. The Chief made the politically and militarily correct decision. Canada did not need the Arrow; Canada could not afford the Arrow; the Arrow met the fate it deserved: the scrap heap.

Edit: I added a bit because I hit the Post button when I meant to hit Preview.

E.R. Campbell said:
Absolute rubbish!

The Arrow, had any government allowed it to go ahead, would have disarmed Canada.

The project was opposed by the Treasury, the Naval Staff, the General Staff and a goodly proportion of the Air Staff. It was a good airplane, probably even a very good airplane but not one that could be sold to anyone else. It would have been a HUGE white elephant. The Chief made the politically and militarily correct decision. Canada did not need the Arrow; Canada could not afford the Arrow; the Arrow met the fate t deserved.

Exactly. The mission for which the CF-105 had been created had long vanished. The "bomber gap" did not exist and the ICBM was the main, overriding threat. The CF-105 could do nothing about those.

E.R. Campbell: Exactly.  But the myth, with a huge dose of anti-Americanism will live on as long as there is a Canada--one which those lefties (a fair portion of Arrowheads generally) who love the Arrow don't want to pay for now to arm.

Mark
Ottawa

Ok what happened to Canada's ability to design and produce our own fighter aircraft? Did not the Chief replace it with the BOMARC because he felt manned fighter aircraft were obsolete? I feel because of his actions, a lot of people went elsewhere to work in the aerospace industry.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Ok what happened to Canada's ability to design and produce our own fighter aircraft? Did not the Chief replace it with the BOMARC because he felt manned fighter aircraft were obsolete? I feel because of his actions, a lot of people went elsewhere to work in the aerospace industry.

We never had much of a capability, even then. A lot of good ideas came together in one (British) company's Canadian plant. But, in terms of military aircraft, we were, and still are a parts and component suppler - the AVRO CF-100 Canuck being the notable exception, the one that proves the rule, perhaps? Our civil aviation industry is in adequate shape. We need to wait and see about our space industry.

In those terms we are about consistent with our allies, friends, neighbours and competitors.

We should just be glad that it's not an icebreaking HELICOPTER we're buying or you will be able to buy a tropical vacation to Igloolik before they're ready  ;D

Hi MarkOttawa,
  Personally,I'm not a "leftie-Arrowhead".I vote Conservative.The Americans are
our Allies,and we are at war.(no anti-Americanism here either).I'm not convinced
that the cancellation of the Arrow was of any benefit to Canada though.

Back