• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Temporary Duty ( TD ) merged

TD isn't a rate.  TD is a duty/travel status.  While on TD (which is defined in CFTDTI), you're allowed to claim reasonable travel costs IAW CFTDTI 5.12.

OR

You're on Temporary Workplace Change (as defined in CFTDTI), and are paid travel costs over and above your usual costs, IAW CFTDTI 5.13.

Both situations are at the employer-requested high rate of reimbursement.

Bloody ell - I can't believe they are saying the CFTDI does not apply to you. Redress it please - someone needs a kick in the arse.  This is paid at high rate.  Your other option is to inform them that your car is not for DND use so they have to provide you with transport from your regular work site to the temp location - then show up at work and ask if your transport is ready.

To figure out the amount you are looking at check the rates here: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/tbm_113/b-eng.asp

Ello, please to remove if this has been asked elsewhere, did a search but couldn't find it.

Can anyone here tell me how TD claims are given on arrival back to your home unit after an attach posting?  Is it just attached to your next pay, or is it direct deposit?

I only ask because that $2,500 is going towards a shiny Tacoma so I need some sort of time frame as to when I can expect it.

Thanks in advance!

If the claims office has banking details on record (ClaimsX), then it's deposited directly to your account (in other words, get in and submit the info if you already haven't - bring a void cheque to make it easy on the pay bobs). 

Otherwise, expect a cheque a few days after your claim is processed.

MedKAWD said:
Ello, .........

I only ask because that $2,500 is going towards a shiny Tacoma so I need some sort of time frame as to when I can expect it.
::)

No Ellos here.

How many times must we advise people not to spend money that they don't have in their hand/bank account?  Your Claim can go into the Bank at any time.  It can also be delayed for an unspecified amount of time as well.  Do no spend your money, until you actually have it.  Don't make youself an "Administrative Burden" and create a reason for your own Release.

George Wallace said:
::)

No Ellos here.

How many times must we advise people not to spend money that they don't have in their hand/bank account?  Your Claim can go into the Bank at any time.  It can also be delayed for an unspecified amount of time as well.  Do no spend your money, until you actually have it.  Don't make youself an "Administrative Burden" and create a reason for your own Release.

George I'm a bloody Brit don't censor my heritage.  :P

Secondly, you're misunderstanding me completely.  I don't spend money I don't have, hence the harmless inquiry as to when I can expectto see it, so I can spend it.  I'm not totally new to this game, I fully understand that holdups can arise.  And with no disrespect intended, I wasn't asking for financial advice, my question was about my claim and it was answered.  So lock er up if you like.

Cheers, Kyle

One note, since I didn't mention it in my first post.

The ClaimsX system is independent of the pay system.  Even though you may have direct deposit for your pay, ClaimsX is a separate system and you need to make specific arrangements for your claims payments.  Bring in a void cheque whenever your deposit info changes.

Here is the Reader's Digest condensed version of the claim process. 

1.  The member brings his claim with all the receipts and itinerary to the OR
2. The clerk takes that info and finalizes the claim in ClaimsX
3. The clerk has the member sign and sends the claim for Section 34. (Electronically)
4. The Section 34 Authority then reviews the claims and certifies it. (at this point it is electronically sent to the Cashier)  This should happen the same day but may not if he/she is not available.
5. The Cashier uploads the claim to Ottawa, who then sends the payment to the bank electronically.  (This may take 3 to 7 business days to happen.)

Now, you mentioned an Attached Posting.  Chances are this was not done through ClaimsX but with a Movement Claim.  The same process happens but it can be a bit slower because the claim has to go to the Cashier through the mail system instead of electronically.  So tack a few more days on to it.

Also, make sure that your OR and the Cashier have your proper banking info.  A DFT reject can be a long process.

Mine (I am on my 2nd Att posting this calendar year) have been approx 5 business days to get the claim processed, and approx. 5 days after the cashiers where I am process the finalized claim for payment, the DFT drops in my account.

Same goes for my monthly Sep Expense claims; approx 5 business days after I take the paperwork to the cashier, the DFT drops in my account.

If you don't want to wait for a DFT, you could ask for a cheque.  The guys here (Winnipeg) get the cheques when they bring the finalized claim to the cashier, no wait for the DFT involved.

While SGT-RMSCLK nailed your query,

Please remember others will read this thread. With that in mind, George's post is not unwarranted for future readers of this thread.  :nod:

Good day admin gurus.  I have a few questions regarding a claim I am currently in the process of filling, but my OR did not provide me with clear explanations on a few things.

I was on TD at a location 750 km away from my workplace.  They were initally going to fly me there but requested to take my PMV to the TD location.  They provided me with a Cost Comparison worksheet and I have a few questions regarding this.  The cost comparison worksheet only uses cost as a discriminator, when the policy is more liberal in their wording:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/pmv-dbv/index-eng.asp said:
Where a member requests to take a PMV in lieu of the most cost efficient and practical mode of travel (usually commercial air plus taxi/bus) as determined by the CO, the member may be reimbursed the high kilometric rate up to the cost of the most efficient and practical mode of transportation.

It clearly says the most cost efficient but also says and practical mode of travel.  If they were going to book me on a plane instead of driving a rental, then why is the Commercial Air travel not the more cost efficient and practical mode of travel?

Second question is with the Car Rental section of the worksheet.  I was at my TD location for 5 days.  Had I used a Rental, it would have taken me 2 days each way to drive (500 km a day), for a total of 9 days with the rental vehicle, yet they only used 7 as the number of days and told me that it's because with a rental, I can drive for 8 hours a day.  However, the CFTDI clearly states, in section 7 :

CFTDI said:
(6) In the interests of safe driving, if PMV or rental vehicle is used a member shall not normally be expected to drive more than:

a) 250 kilometres after having worked a full day;
b) 350 kilometres after having worked one-half day; or
c) 500 kilometres on any day when the CF member has not worked.

Last question is why do the worksheet use the same incidentals for Rental and Commercial Air?  I understand that I am only entitled to 1 day of incidental if I use my PMV, however if I used the Rental, I would necessarily be on incidentals for the duration of the travel and back.  I though the cost comparison was for that, to compare which method is the cheapest, independantly of each other.  I looked through the orders, policies and instructions and nowhere does it mention that with a rental, you can only have 1 day of incidental each way.

Anyways, I am a bit confused with what my OR tells me and what the documentation says.  If someone can clear this up for me I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,

SSM

Question for the admin gods here.

I am on TD in the states for a couple weeks as funded by a CF national project ( vice my unit TD funds)  I am with 8 other pers from units across the CF.
We have been booked in suites at a hotel that have a full kitchen ( full sized appliances).  Although the hotel does provide a continental breakfast , everyone makes their own breakfast in their suites.

On our claims, they have provided the estimate for the full meal allowance for the duration of this course. ( daily rate for breakfast, lunch and supper )

The discussion amongst my course mates ( most of which are higher rank than  me ) , is that we claim all meals.  A couple of us are under the impression that because there is a continental breakfast ( even if we don't use it ), we shouldn't be claiming breakfast.  ( which is my unit policy...but alas, my unit is not paying for this TD )

Is there a CF policy regarding claiming meals, and more specifically one that pertains to having a full kitchen ?

Continental breakfast is not a breakfast. It's a way of passing off day old buns and out of date jam packets.

You're in North America (I presume) have a real breakfast.

There should also be nothing wrong with buying groceries with the meal allowance and preparing your own meals with the kitchen in your suite.

Even if they had a full breakfast - like Holiday Inn Express offers - it is up to the member to decide if he availed himself of the complimentary breakfast and it proved sufficient.  In the end, it is a test of your ethics.

recceguy said:
Continental breakfast is not a breakfast. It's a way of passing off day old buns and out of date jam packets.

You're in North America (I presume) have a real breakfast.

There should also be nothing wrong with buying groceries with the meal allowance and preparing your own meals with the kitchen in your suite.

Some places in the states have "real" breakfast. But I still prefer to have a bit more of a selection that warmed over scrambled eggs and sausage patties.  :nod:

Zoomie said:
Even if they had a full breakfast - like Holiday Inn Express offers - it is up to the member to decide if he availed himself of the complimentary breakfast and it proved sufficient.  In the end, it is a test of your ethics.

You just had to play the ethics card didn't you. ;D

Canadian Forces temporary duty travel instruction.

section  7.10 - para 9

If a member occupies US Military corporate, government of school residences, apartment hotels or similar type accommodation with cooking facility, the member is entitled to the full per diem meal rate for the first 30 days.

but..... 7.10 para 1,

Members shall only claim for those meals that they were not provided.  A member is not entitled to reimbursement with respect to a meal that is provided by a third party or other government agency.

I have a kitchen in my suite, but the hotel has a breakfast.  ( cold cereal, scrambled eggs, sausage )

which paragraph reigns supreme ??

If the provided breakfast is all you need (and hygienic - I've been places where you would not want to avail...) and you are ethical then you know what the answer is.  ;)

NJC Regulations Article 3.3.9 ( http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/travel-voyage/index-eng.php )

"A meal allowance shall not be paid to a traveller with respect to a meal that is provided. In exceptional situations where a traveller has incurred out of pocket expenses to supplement meals provided, the actual incurred costs may be reimbursed, based on receipts, up to the applicable meal allowance.

Where a traveller incurs meal costs that are higher than the established meal allowances in situations outside the traveller's control, the actual and reasonable expenses incurred shall be reimbursed, based on receipts."

DND's interpretation of the regulation as it applies to "Continental Breakfasts":

"Breakfast meals provided by a hotel that are considered insufficient must be supported by a statement from the member and a receipt up to the per diem rate for the meal being claimed."

Back