• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tattoo Question: Gun or Soldier?

Mortar Platoon = integral fire support within the Battalion
It's a platoon within Combat Support Company(dunno what the Brits call it) and they support the Rifle Companies, etc with their Mortars.

3 Para is a British Army unit. 3rd Battalion, Parachute Regiment.

A little known 3 PARA Mortars fact you might want to have handy in case someone comes up with an Army Trivial Pursuit game: they had a famous platoon tattoo.

Each platoon member would tattoo a large 'W' on each cheek of their ass so when they mooned someone it spelled WOW.

This edged out the former, popular, custom of tattooing a dotted line across the throat with 'Cut Here' on it.

There's a couple of good ideas for you.  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
A little known 3 PARA Mortars fact you might want to have handy in case someone comes up with an Army Trivial Pursuit game: they had a famous platoon tattoo.

Each platoon member would tattoo a large 'W' on each cheek of their ass so when they mooned someone it spelled WOW.

This edged out the former, popular, custom of tattooing a dotted line across the throat with 'Cut Here' on it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Outstanding!!

That almost makes me want to have my virgin skin (tattoo wise) pierced.  Almost.

daftandbarmy said:

That's not only brilliant, it's multi-purpose:  Stand on your head and it says "MOM".

daftandbarmy said:

Unfortunately, this fell out of vogue when left W departed and was replaced with a dyslexic trooper who had an S tattoo done.  This did not come to light until the platoon formed after a sunshower and dropped trou to photograph their inspired awe for the rainbow.

daftandbarmy said:

Each platoon member would tattoo a large 'W' on each cheek of their *** so when they mooned someone it spelled WOW.

That one is better than the “salida solamente” I had done on the same part of the anatomy in TJ Mexico.

BTW anyone enroute to the TJ hoosegow is well advised to get the same tattoo done especially if you don’t hable …. Just to avoid miscommunications later.  8)

I recommend the parlour by the main entrance. The Federales will wait for you for a small propina. Ask for Pedro if he still works there. Juan the other guy is illiterate.

Something else to think about before getting that body artwork done...

Tattoo you? Perhaps.

Thanks to the increasing popularity of tattoos, body piercings and other notable body modifications, more employees and managers are coming to work bedecked with body art. But does more square footage of butterfly and eagle-laden skin translate to increased acceptance in the workforce? Or is an employee with a tattoo or piercing likely to find career success elusive?

Vault.com surveyed 500 employees and managers to learn about how people with body art are perceived in the workplace. Freaks, artistes, or regular Joes and Janes? You gave us the real tattoo story.

http://www.vault.com/surveys/tattoo/tattoo.jsp

It is definitely something to think about when getting a tattoo, not just what but where.

Neither of mine are visible unless I wear a sleeveless shirt, so I'm safe!  ;D 

Interesting site, daftandbarmy!

I got a question for ex army guys, those that finished and now work in civilian jobs. Are there any here?
Anyways, is it true that if have Army deployment in your resume boosts your chances of getting a job?
And if yes, isn't it then that employers don't mind tats (since if you're in the army then you probably have a tat)?

Kig said:
(since if you're in the army then you probably have a tat)?

That's being a bit general isn't it?  In my Unit I'd say that no more than %10 of my soldiers have tattoos.  As many above in this thread have stated, they don' t need a tattoo to prove anything.  I've thought about it myself for some time but so far, haven't found anything that inspires me enough to get one.

Harris said:
I've thought about it myself for some time but so far, haven't found anything that inspires me enough to get one.

When I was 16 I wanted to get the 433 Sqn Porcupine on my arm. My mom asked me to think about it a bit more, and think of what others in the family might think. I decided to hold off on it, ended up not getting it and now think it might have looked stupid on a 55 year old who was never in the air force. (I'm a 24 year old in the Army now, wouldn't that have made my staffs day in BMQ). I'm thinking of getting a tattoo now, but I want to make sure it's location and design are as close to perfect as possible before getting it permanently etched into my epidermis. ac12, if I were you I'd pick something with a little deeper meaning to you and your family/historical background, but that's just my 2cents

I just got my first Patriotic/Military tattoo after 5 years in. An yea making sure it is exactly what you want(don't get something just because you thought it was cool.. might regret it later on), right location, etc is important.

Kig said:
Anyways, is it true that if have Army deployment in your resume boosts your chances of getting a job?

Some employers find former service members provide outstanding employees; some are the opposite. 

I have a dragon on my left shoulder and Felix the Cat on my right shoulder...why I got Felix is beyond me at the moment, but kids love it, so I guess I have a reason for that one.

I wouldn't get a specific tattoo of any place / regiment / etc for a while at least, get something generic and make sure it can be covered up easily. Nothing else can ruin a first impression like a skull or crappy wolf tattoo on the forearm, or a bunch of rifles and swords over you.

ʞɔoɹɯɐɥs said:
Some employers find former service members provide outstanding employees; some are the opposite. 

Bingo.  In my own experience, my employer was hesitant to hire me because of my military background.  After a few months of having me in his employ, he was actively seeking retired CF members.

Something to think about - even when you're out, you STILL represent the CF (until the day they publish your obituary - "Sadly Missed - Former Soldier/Airman/Sailor John Bloggins").

Something else that some of my old employers found about military (well, most) is that they have a way of carrying themselves that can also be noticed, and that's nothing a tattoo can make or ruin.

RTaylor said:
Something else that some of my old employers found about military (well, most) is that they have a way of carrying themselves that can also be noticed, and that's nothing a tattoo can make or ruin.

Speaking as an "un-tattooed former member", I can attest to that. 

I'd add that there's something about the way that military members CONDUCT and COMPORT themselves that sets them aside from the "run of the mill" employee - in ANY situation.

Yep, that's pretty funny.  If you are getting some foreign language tattooed on yourself, ask someone who actually speaks the language to verify it for you!

Reminds me of one of the young medics at the school a few years back.  She had some oriental character tattooed on her neck and I asked her what it meant.  She replied "Oh, I get tired of telling people that."  To which I replied, "Well then, why the hell did you get that tattoo where it is?  Didn't you think people would ask?"  ::)

Moral of the story:  If you don't want people asking about your tattoo, don't get it in a such a visible spot.  Not to mention, I do believe the military now tends to frown on tattoos that are visible when in uniform.  Including rolled up or short sleeves.

I was on a course where a troop had a tattoo that said "100% Canadian Infantry" the words were below a Canadian Flag on his upper arm. He was  (and I presume is) a complete tool and so far from any infantry standard that he was known as "Mr. 100% Canadian Infantry" He was embarrassed and so were all of the infantry guys on the course. He really regrets the tattoo, it's too bad, all he needs to do is pick up the pace, get in shape and change his attitude, but that Tattoo is something that he can't live up to and it is kicking his ass.

Back