• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tactical vest

J

joe

Has anyone out there recieved the new tactical vest? if so, what do they think of it? Big improvement?

If you are referring to the replacement for Webbing (ie Load Bearing Vest et al) it is not due for release under Clothe the Soldier until at least 2003. They are still perfecting the design and one of the hang-ups at the moment (I believe) is problems with CADPAT materiel and its durability. They are waiting for technology to improve so that the CADPAT pattern can be successfully meshed together with most pieces of the new kit. Take the new armoured crew-suit for instance (which is also the new flight suits for the Airforce), right now the technology does not exist that allows the CADPAT design to be integrated with NOMEX. So... until that technology does exist, the suits are being released in olive drab (NOMEX).

I was told that reg force units out west have already recieved the new vest....in cadpat aswell.

LOL I‘ll believe when I see it, No CADPAT vests that I have seen out here in 1 CMBG Edmonton.

:cdn:

I‘m not sure where you get your info from Zoomie but you‘re way off.

The contract for the TV was awarded about three weeks ago to a consortium comprised of two companies. Fellfab in Hamilton and Apparel Trimmings in Scarborough will be producing the 70 000+ vests with delivery taking place over 18 months after production begins.

The Air Force has been working on a project much the same as the Clothe the Soldier program but hasn‘t fielded anything yet so your statement about hte flight suit makes no sense (Notwithstanding the fact that CADPAT Nomex has been readily available for quite a while).

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Interesting info Andyboy.
As it stands right now, and this info is as up to date as it can be. The airforce flight suits are due to be released in Aug-Sept 2002. They are at present olive drab as the technology to mesh CADPAT and Nomex together does not exist so that it lasts operationally. The clothe the soldier project is taking its lead from the airforce project for its armoured crewman suit. Why not let the people who excel in fire protection design the new operational kit.
As to the TV, 18 months from now looks pretty close to my statement of being released in 2003. My info came from the Clothe the Soldier OPIs directly when they came to visit us earlier this year. If things have changed since then, so be it.

As I said NOMEX is readily available in CADPAT, and has been for a while. The Clothe the Soldier Project may be "taking the lead" from the airforce crew suit but to say they are one in the same is misleading. They are two different environments and have different requirements. A case in point is the new clothing for the flightline, they look a lot like the new combats but aren‘t the same.

As for the TV it‘s delivery schedule is intended to be complete 18 months from start of manufacture, not from now. Which could be a big difference or could be minimal, there are a few milestones and hurdles for the manufacturers to to get past between now and production. Knowing Public Works like I do and knowing the product like I do, it may be a while before they are released for manufacture.

I‘m not trying to get into a pissing contest with you but there is enough rumour and innuendo out there about the project as it is.

Or (taking the wild possibility that both sources are correct) is it possible that there are different levels of protection of Nomex, some of which can - and others of which cannot - be integrated (due to the differences in the material that would be necessary - thickness, weight, weave, etc.)

Either that, or one of you will be eating crow ...

I checked again, it seems that the airforce has not yet approved the CADPAT covered NOMEX. Gen Lucas has also been quoted saying that CADPAT flight suits were not f***ing likely. So we will be happy with Olive Drab suits... It‘s been a long time waiting, I am wearing these scratchy 100% wool blue suits ATM.

I was just at a surplus store in Edmonton and they have two of the new load bearing vests for $375 as well as two new cadpat uniforms.

The maufature dates for the vests were late 1999.

Just thought I‘d let you know

The vests were obviously prototypes or copies that someone picked up some where. Contracts have been awarded for the manufacture of the vests, and they are the next thing that we will see issued by the clothe the soldier project, to be followed shortly by the new frag vests. They are also trialing the CADPAT print on the new temperate boots if you can believe it. I took a picture and I will post it under equipment in the photo album when I can.

I thought they were joking when they said were trialing the boots with CADPAT. Silly me for once, they were right. We should be getting them when we get back from leave, so I‘ll let everyone know how they are(As far as I know there are four different types that we are trialing). On another note we just just sized for our tac and flak vests. Should be coming sometime in the next 6 months:)

Article in the latest Maple Leaf pretty well sums up this entire thread.

Doug

there does not appear to be an equipment category in the photo album, but i‘m sure we would all love to see a picture of those boots. Is there a web site that talks about these boots beside the cts site. (manufacturer)?

Finally I got hold of the picture. I took the photo myself, so I know that they really do exist.
CADPAT_Boots.jpg

Oh Man,
It‘ll take hours to clean your boots! Four cans of dye (two green, one ea black and brown) a bag of q-tips. OK, starting with your most prominent colour, and staying within the lines, put an even but thin coat........ :D

"They" are out of control with cadpat. What‘s next, cadpat vehicles? :rolleyes:

Hey Spanky dont give em ideas ok, to the guy who said he saw the vests at a surplus store in edmonton? was it MILARM Co.? Because if it was i ended up buying one and it lasts well hold muchgearo and i like and i got it for cheap (Air Cadet Diuscount of 15% for Sgt.s)

I never thought I‘d see CADPAT boots... To those who‘ve been in the field (I‘m still waiting to be sworn in..), I‘m wondering.. do black boots stick out noticably against a green backdrop?

Back