• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first military flight of refugees has arrived in Toronto.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/syrian-refugees-arrive-on-government-aircraft-in-toronto-1.2694801

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/syria-refugees-arrive-1.3360154

More court action halted by the new federal government ...
"Today, the Government of Canada announced that it will not pursue its appeal in the case of The Attorney General of Canada and the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration v. Canadian Doctors for Refugee Care et al.The case involves changes made in 2012 to the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) for refugees, refugee claimants and claimants who were denied refugee status.

“In July 2014, the Federal Court of Canada ruled that those changes violated Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms and our government has promised to fully restore the IFHP. The temporary coverage announced after the Federal Court decision will stay in place until a new program is implemented.

“As a first step, when we announced our commitment to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February 2016, we said that privately sponsored Syrian refugees would receive the same IFHP coverage as government-assisted refugees were getting.

“Withdrawing this appeal is an important step toward fulfilling our commitment to review the government’s litigation strategy to address positions that are inconsistent with our values.”
... but still no word on this one yet.

MCG said:
The first military flight of refugees has arrived in Toronto.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/syrian-refugees-arrive-on-government-aircraft-in-toronto-1.2694801

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/syria-refugees-arrive-1.3360154

Premier Wynne was on hand to give them a bill from Ontario Hydro.

The Premier could have been on hand, to give them each a free laptop and offer each family free rent for a year.

Ok, the laptops are from a group in Edmonton AB, but Toronto is complaining about landlords trying to follow due diligence, even with refugees.

kratz said:
The Premier could have been on hand, to give them each a free laptop and offer each family free rent for a year.

Ok, the laptops are from a group in Edmonton AB, but Toronto is complaining about landlords trying to follow due diligence, even with refugees.
I caught that ya. Imagine that, someone wanting to follow policy and the rules. Not exactly the landlords fault that no one thought of this ahead of time. They're paying a guy $1800 a day to organize this, he should be able to figure something out.

Jarnhamar said:
I caught that ya. Imagine that, someone wanting to follow policy and the rules. Not exactly the landlords fault that no one thought of this ahead of time. They're paying a guy $1800 a day to organize this, he should be able to figure something out.

For 1800/day, I bet he takes his time though. 

Mooooooore refugees for 2016?
The Canadian government could double the intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000, according to Canada’s minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship.

John McCallum said the Canadian government hopes to resettle 35,000 to 50,000 refugees by the end of 2016.

The announcement follows a pledge by the Liberal government to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February.

McCallum, who also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day stop in Jordan, greeted families preparing to board flights to Canada in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday ...
Nice thought, but if they're having trouble rustling up folks to come to the Land of the Beaver & Mountie now ...

This tidbit, via Kurdish media, about Canada also helping refugees closer to the fight - highlights mine ...
While visiting the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan met with Kurdistan Region President Massoud Barzani in Erbil on Monday December 21st, to discuss the latest political and security developments.

According to a statement by Kurdistan Region Presidency office, Sajjan praised the effective role of Kurdish Peshmerga forces in the war against Islamic State (IS) in northern Iraq, and reiterated that the sacrifices by Peshmerga are highly valued by Canadians.

He highlighted Barzani’s role in leading the “brave Peshmerga forces” and managing the crises in the region. Such successful leadership encourages Canada to continue supporting the Kurdistan Region, Sajjan stressed.

The Canadian official pointed out that he will be discussing further supports for Kurdistan Region once he returned to Canada, hoping to increase the size of supports for the Peshmerga and refugees settled in the Kurdistan Region ...
A bit more in the brief statement from the Kurdish Region President's info-machine attached.

There will be at least 2,000 but it looks like Canada will not make the 10,000 refugees in country goal by year end.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/10k-syrian-refugees-may-not-be-on-canadian-soil-by-year-s-end-mccallum-1.3378261

MCG said:
There will be at least 2,000 but it looks like Canada will not make the 10,000 refugees in country goal by year end.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/10k-syrian-refugees-may-not-be-on-canadian-soil-by-year-s-end-mccallum-1.3378261

Do I blame Harper for this ?  I dunno I feel so confused...

;)

Halifax Tar said:
Do I blame Harper for this ?  I dunno I feel so confused...

;)

I saw McCallum's news conference and thought it was an exercise in talking in circles. The 10,000 by 31 Jan was a liberal promise which clearly they can't make, but was self imposed with Canadians probably not really caring about numbers. Why not just say they can't make the number? It's THEIR number!

Also, what's up with the refugees needing extra time to sell property and say good bye? We were led to believe these people were desperate... seems somewhat the opposite

Bird_Gunner45 said:
I saw McCallum's news conference and thought it was an exercise in talking in circles. The 10,000 by 31 Jan was a liberal promise which clearly they can't make, but was self imposed with Canadians probably not really caring about numbers. Why not just say they can't make the number? It's THEORY number!

Also, what's up with the refugees needing extra time to sell property and say good bye? We were led to believe these people were desperate... seems somewhat the opposite

Yep, it just does not fit the narrative.

This, from Ottawa city councillor and CF vet Jody Mitic:
... "I didn't go fight in Afghanistan to not help Syrian refugees" ... Mitic ... said he was "bummed" Wednesday when people on social media suggested Canada should do more for its war vets rather than help Syrian refugees fleeing from war.  "I don't want people to feel sorry for me because we're bringing in refugees," Mitic said in an interview.  "One is not the other, and don't use veterans as a wedge issue just because you don't like refugees." ...
QFTFT

He also said later in the article that he doesn't understand why we can't do both. Completely agree. If we can bring in 5,000 refugees in a couple months, we should be able to quickly find homes and link into support systems for the roughly 2,500 homeless vets out there right now.

jollyjacktar said:
Can you translate that for the slower members of the audience, please?
Politely put, Q-uoted F-or T-he F-lipping T-ruth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back