• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supplements on BMQ (merged)

I think what he also would like to know is he taking so much protein that it will come through on his test? I really don't know the workings but in years past[looks down at stomach and sighs] when I was working out and on the high-protein I  could definitely smell and see a difference in my urine.
Bruce

What you were probably noticing when on a high protein diet was that your body was probably in a state of ketoacidosis - you were burning fat and secreting ketones as a result of eliminating carbs as prime energy source.

Let's not confuse a protein diet with your kidney eliminating protein in the urine - two different things.

A high protein diet is a good fat burner but may also result in some lethargy in the first few days as well as bad breath and bad mood.   Once that inital few days is broken through and sugar addiction ended, slight euphoria, more energy and quick fat burning result.

Neat stuff.

Ted

P.S.  ARMYMEDIC - thank you.  It's amazing what you can learn as a drug rep.  Interesting stuff for sure.

Strange, now you folks have scared half the SHIT out of me!!!

:(

When I did my original "pee-test" for my medical exam, I came back with a possible "Proteinuria", so they made me do a 24-hour urine test with a giant orange/red jug I had to bring home and keep in the fridge!... Turns out I was okay, but I wasn't eating any extra protein or even working out alot. Hiking, biking and some pushups. Active I suppose... I've been to the doctor's several times since then and no probs. Should I be worried? I'm not obese or overweight! I can run a mile in 8 mins (Not great, but okay). Should I get other tests done on my kidneys???

Thanks for any input/response!

Joe
*Worried/paraniod*!

Joe, it sounds like you're just fine.  The 24 hr urine test is more stringent than the initial sample.  Therefore, if you passed the 24 hr, you should be just fine.

Everyone secretes a certain amount of protein - it's the degree of that secretion that's important.  They re-tested you and said you were fine.  So relax, I think.

How old are you?  Weight/height?  Glucose Intolerant?  Last physical?

Shouldn't be remote-diagnosing people across the internet considering I have no formal medical trg either. Best thing to do is just go to a walk in clinic and ask them if you can do blood/urine as you would like to f/u on a test sample from before.  Probably will let you do that.

Sounds ok to me.

Mr. Ted

Ahhh, okay, that sounds better! :p That's basically what my doctor said before too when I was freakin' out back then cause I didn't think I was going to get in!

Height: 5 foot 7 (I'm shorter than most)
Weight: 182lbs (Seems fatty, I know, but I'm not fat, it's just a heavy build, I have pictures) Like is said: Hiking, Biking, Martial Arts, Paintball!! Etc...
No known glucose intolerances.
Last physical was in... May? I am pretty sure in May 2004, so not too long ago. Nothing showed up then.

Joe

I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant to my question...

I want to start a Protein type diet, I am thinking that I will have a bar for breakfast, a sub or something healthy for lunch and a bar for supper, and some protein shakes throughout the day..My goals are to lose some of this extra fat I am carrying around and turn it into mass, or muscle..And of course to be overall healthy..In your guy's experience does this sound like a good plan. BTW I have lost 12 pounds in the last month and a half on the "subway diet" if you will..

I just started a sort of mass gaining program.  I was told by my consulting fitness pro that  I should;if I  want to put on muscle; take in half my body weight in grams of protein. example- I weigh 180 pounds so I should take in 90 grams of protein a day.

You want to burn fat. The only way to do this is through cardio vascular activity. When you elevate your heart rate to the target heart range (a quick google search will let you calculate this for yourself) for a constant of 20 minutes, you then BEGIN to burn fat. Those first 20 minutes of cardio (runnig, biking, etc) will use up the carbs that are stored. Every minute of exercise after this 20 minutes begins to burn fat. The biology behind this is that carbs are readily available and easy to break down, so the body uses all of them first. Then your fat goes. Once you've got no fat, you start to burn protein.. and this is where muscle degeneration takes place but it is only a worry for marathon runners and starving people. (marathon runners constantly eat high carb gels so they don't loose muscle)

Now the muscle building part. You're correct in that protein is essential to muscle growth. Without it, it just won't happen. You need to eat about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight if you're doing serious weight lifting. You still need the majority of your diet from carbohydrates to replenish the sheer energy expended in working out. A typical diet should be about 25% fat, 30% protein and 45% carbs.

Let me dispell rumors right now. You can NOT "change" fat into muscle by working out. The biology just does not happen. Fat cells are shrunk and killed through cardio activity, that is all.

Don't do the subway diet. Gared is still a fat, greasy civillian, and subway just costs too darn much. Eating right is simple. Count your calories, and coutn your cabr/fat/protein percentages.

[Disclaimer: I'm not a dietician, doctor, or personal trainer, all the following advice is based on my own experience]

Weight loss? No diets, no weird supplements, none of that crap. And the subway diet? Forgive me, but I've got to laugh at your for that one. Bring a lunch from home. It will be cheaper, and probably more healthy.

Here's the reality guide to weight loss, from somone who's actually done it at one point in his life (Dropped 50lbs) and keeping it off long term. Get a copy of the canadian food guide. Follow it. Don't worry about counting calories or any of that garbage, it will either confuse and irritate you, or mess you up. Cut out snack foods like chips, candy, and chocolate bars. Also, cut out any greasy fried garbage in your diet. A chicken leg from KFC is not a serving of meat.

Now get off your rear and start exercising. Lifting weight is not exercise. It can come in as part of an exercise plan, but it's not exercise by itself. To actually burn fat, you need to exercise until you burn off the blood sugars in your body, so your body starts using fat. You can usually tell when you're hitting this point because you're breathing harder, and your heart is pumping harder to do the same things. It doesn't take strenuous activity to reach this point, rather, repeated activity. And hour of walking each day will do it. Walk home from work. An exercise bike is also ideal. This works for weight loss. You should add some cardio, but you don't need lengthy intense sessions of cardio for fat loss, as I said, just extended periods of light to moderate exercise will do it.

And try adding little things that increase your amount of activity during the day as well... go to the bathroom at the end of the hall instead of the one nearby... take the elevator instead of the stairs... etc

Back to foods. Try replacing traditional "bad for you" snack foods (Chips, bars, etc) with other snack foods... carrot sticks are good... that being said, if you have a craving you just can't ignore, have a bag of chips. Better to have a small amount occaisonally then fight the urge until you end up binging. And nothing wrong with fast food, but no more then once a week, or even once every two weeks...

This is my get off your rear and exercise diet plan. It doesn't cost you anything to follow, and it helps you create a healthy lifestyle that not only helps you loose weight, but more importantly, keep it off.

Reference the calories, I note somone else replied to the thread, and he said most of what I said... though I have to disagree strongly with one thing he said... DO NOT COUNT CALORIES... some people count calories, and are fine, others count and become obsessed with it, and end up as anorexics... eating shouldn't become a contest with your brain where you try to survive on the minimum number of calories you can... you shouldn't have to do the math to know if you're eating right, or if you're loosing weight... like I said, use the Canadian food guide as a rough guide to what you should be eating, and learn to listen to your own body, it will tell you if you need more, but don't bother with less, eating less then what's *recommended* will not help you loose weight... any effects will be temporary, your body will adjust to the lowered intake of calories and after you return to your normal eating habits, your weight will rise again... as I said, just get into a healthy lifestyle... there's not much to it, and you can still eat perfectly normal foods...

Somthing else that came to mind was breakfest... don't skip it... I'm guilty of this, I seldom eat breakfast... breakfast is the "kickstart" you need in the morning... it starts your metabolism working for the day, skipping it only slows down your metabolism... think about it, by morning, you probably haven't eaten for 12 hours... it'll probably be another 4 before you eat... not good.

Some more things to consider.

The muscles store approx 450 -500 grams of carbs to be used as fuel.

After these are burned off, a system in the body then uses fat ( oxidation) to create energy for the body, believe it or not fat can be turned into energy.

If you like to eat, and have a hard time dieting do double cardio sessions, two times a day, no longer than a hour. After an hour you burn muscle, you don't want that, muscle is a furnace, feed by carbs and fats.

If you can diet well, you can get by with an hour of cardio a day.

Weightloss= more calories burned than consumed.

For example, in my routine  i'm doing two cardio sessions a day, burning approx 2000 calories and elimating only 500 calories from my diet.

Nobody mentioned eating frequency so i will, eat smaller meals 6-8 times a day, every time you conume the metabolsim rises to burn it off, so keeping your metabolism revved high will aid in fat loss and prevent fat gain.

If you eat three square meals a day, the extra calories will go to fat, it always does, spillage of carbs (excess) goes to fat, keep the carbs moderate.

As for carb timing, morning ( jumpstarts the metabolism) and after workouts should have the highest carbs of the day. Take a protein shake after the workouts to replenish your body and prevent muscle burn.

Hope this helps......

Thanks guys, When I said that I am on the subway diet I didn't actually mean Subway every day and that's the only thing I eat, I simply meant the ideology behind in the fact that subs, salads, etc. are good, Although I must admit I do enjoy a sub from subway at lunch...or other places that sell subs for example..As for counting calories, guilty...the last month I have eaten less then 1800 calories a day and I am just as healthy and what not, but less of me to enjoy if you know what i mean, lol...I have been losing weight successfully and want to continue in doing so..Thanks for the tips.

p.s: tomorrow morning I am getting me a copy of the food guide.

Edit: So, are protein bars and what not a good idea along with a good exercise program and eating right??

Personally i think the food guide is a crock of shit. Too many carbs, you want to be fit for the army, not just an average person. Your diet is going to be different due to the fact of your training. The average person may benefit from it, but they won't lose weight, not with all the breads and fruits in the guide ( fruits equal sugar as do carbs)

Drop the protein bars, eat more fish, egg whites, tuna, meat , chkn.

If you want a great site for diet help PM me...... I'm a member for a long time and it's a helpful bodybuilding site not only for bodybuilders but those who wanna lose weight. And keep it off.!

J-Swift said:
Thanks guys, When I said that I am on the subway diet I didn't actually mean Subway every day and that's the only thing I eat, I simply meant the ideology behind in the fact that subs, salads, etc. are good, Although I must admit I do enjoy a sub from subway at lunch...or other places that sell subs for example..As for counting calories, guilty...the last month I have eaten less then 1800 calories a day and I am just as healthy and what not, but less of me to enjoy if you know what i mean, lol...I have been losing weight successfully and want to continue in doing so..Thanks for the tips.

p.s: tomorrow morning I am getting me a copy of the food guide.

Edit: So, are protein bars and what not a good idea along with a good exercise program and eating right??

1800 calories a day isn't terrible, I don't know what your body size/activity levels are... again... don't worry about the calories... the good guide good enough... if you're counting calories, you're standing on a slippery slope where you will eventually start to get picky about 1 or 2 calories at a time (To put in in perspective, if you work out your diet and activity level so perfectly that you're loosing 25 calories a day, it's going to take at least 3 months to loose a pound... there's approximately 2000 calories in a pound of fat)

Just get into the habit of eating sensibly and exercising... don't obsess about weight, don't obsess about calories...

Somthing I forget earlier, don't obsess about weight either.. weight loss of 1-2lbs, even 3lbs a week is a realistic goal, you may have some weeks where you loose less, and as you get futher along, you will definitly loose less, as in doing the same amount of exercise, your body has become accustomed, and will burn fat more slowly, in adition to the simple fact that you're getting lighter, so your body needs to do less work to accomplish the same activities...

And I really wouldn't recommend the use of protein bars, or supplements of any sort. Eat sensibly, you'll be fine. Again, I'm going to tout the food guide here... develop sensible healthy eating habits (That doesn't mean eating like a rabbit, it means healthy) that you'll have for the rest of your life... and take the food guide as a *guide* not a bible... if you need more, your body will tell you... your body is pretty smart, smarter then most people realise...  it's not impossible to take in 4000+ calories a day and keep a steady weight if not even loose weight under the right conditions... I've known lumber jacks who do it all the time...though they're generally the sort of people you think who will live for ever, but die from un-expected heart attacks, but that's another story.

Gibson27 said:
Personally i think the food guide is a crock of crap. Too many carbs, you want to be fit for the army, not just an average person.

Swing and a miss there cadet... army people are average people [Edit: I should note here, that there are also the sort of army people won't light up a smoke during a five km run, because they'd end up spilling their coffee] , except somtimes they eat more, because they do more work. Example, if you're in the field, working hard, you want to be pouring on as many carbs as possible, in addition to protein, as you need every bit of energy you can get. The food guide is his best bet, it will help him develop sensible eating habits, and he can adjust his level of exercise to match those eating habits.

After noting the age of the original poster as listed in his profile, 17, I have to really stress at this point, don't mess around with weird supplements, don't mess around with your diet too much aside from, again, building healthy eating habits, you really don't want to affect your growth and your development (I've only recently reached the stage where I'm not physically growing up, and, due to mentally de-aging, my body is slowly getting messed up... permenant problems caused by stupidity are bad enough... don't compound them by causing permanent problems from your diet... and word of advice, no matter how much fun it sounds, never get drunk and go sliding... it never ends well... and you always wind up looking at it through rose-coloured glasses and doing it again, despite the slightly limp from the last time... )

Set healthy long term goals, not crash diets for the short term.

Thanks Sig op I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this..I really do. As mentioned before on my current pattern I am losing about 3 pounds a weeks roughly probably less,more like 2.5 or so. I think I will just keep with  good ol healthy eating and exercise.

Best of luck with it, and if you follow none of my other advice, at least follow the part about sliding under the influence.

If he's doing the weight loss before the army, the food guide is only a guide but alterations will be needed in order to lose fat. However while in the army, eating lots of carbs and healthy fats (EFA'S) will be necessary just to maintain your weight.

I'm approx 225 now, I'l be less than 200 after basic for sure.

I agree with you Just a sign op on the fact to sensible eating. But as with the sport of bodybuilding, we are not normal. Our careers require great demand on our bodies and we need to constantly feed the machine that propels us. "Normal or average people" in canada are leading to a path of obesity, but at age 17 I don't think this is a problem.

When basic starts you'll lose alot due to the reduction in sleeping hours and in place of that physical activity that burns extra calories.

Just trying to help, but you'll be fine J-swift,

The Key is to eat a variety of foods in moderate portions. Try to stay away from processed foods. If you're an active person you will want to eat more carbs as they are the primary source of energy for your body. When you run out of carbs your body also begins to convert protein from your muscles into carbs.(not a good thing)

As for the use of protein supplements the average North American diet contains over 100g of protein which is more then most people can use. Protein contains the same number of calories/gram as carbs. Excess protein will also be stored as fat. Any normal person with a proper diet (food guide) shouldn't need protein bars or shakes. (unless you are a vegetarian.)

I am done BMQ already..I want to get into a more SQ/BIQ shape...

Back