• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer Arty Courses Run in The Soo Moving to Meaford

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
It's a little quieter at sprawling Pine Street Armoury this summer.

"After five years here, regional summer training has been relocated to Meaford (near Owen Sound) for at least this year," said Lt.-Col Blake Golder, commanding officer of the 49th Field Regiment, one of two Sault Ste. Marie military reserve units.

For five summers, 2006 through 2010, the Sault was the primary training destination for hundreds of Royal Canadian Artillery reservists who took month-long courses on everything from basic artillery to advanced leadership.

"I am surprised at the move, I thought the camp here had been a success. For whatever reason they decided to relocate," said Golder of the training sessions that attracted nearly 300 personnel last year, late April through early September.

The majority of reservists were from Ontario's six such reserve units, including the 49th, but also from throughout the country. Reservists, as well as their instructors, were housed and fed at Sault College and Algoma University ....
More from the Sault Star here.

I'm going by the media account saying guns were involved in the training, and that "Ontario's six such reserve units" take part.  Since there's more than 6 land-based Reserve units in Ontario, I figured it was arty only training being done.  I stand to be corrected though.

My reading of the article was artillery courses, especially as there are six reserve gunner regiments in Ontario.

Back