• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suicide bomb kills two Canadian troops, civilian in Kandahar - 27 Nov 2006

Christie,

You're one of the few reasons any of us still have faith in the press corps. Thank you and please keep doing what you're doing. Well done RSM Girouard and all the Royals.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

The Sgt Major is a real asset for a commander. He is in a position to advise the commander and detect problem areas that the commander may be unaware of. He mentors the NCO's of the unit.

Recently a US battalion CSM [Command Sgt Major] was killed in Iraq in a somewhat similar manner to CWO Girouard. CSM Watts was killed while with a patrol by an IED. What struck me was that the CSM/RSM could have remained behind the wire at base but instead they were out sharing the same dangers as their troops. This is the essence of the role of RSM/CSM they are the eyes and ears of the commander. Their mere presence inspire the troops. Even in death they are an inspiration and will never be forgotten by the soldiers that knew them.

See also here :

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/54051.0.html

where Mrs.Blatchford has comment on her article.

This one'll stick with me forever.

Sitting outside the CP of the 3rd Armoured Recce Regiment (SG 05), no-hook straight off my 3's. We'd been smoking and joking, RSM sitting having his dinner with us.

I was at the cooler, and he says "You gonna mix us some Gatorade?". I wasn't sure if he was joking, answered "I guess so".

He looks at me, and doesn't yell, doesn't scream, doesn't berate. Just says "Young Signaller, don't take my friendly nature for familiarity"

I took it as the reproach it was, said "Yes, sir" and made him some Gatorade.

But that RSM would go to the wall for all of us working for him in the CP. One of the best guys I worked for.

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Suicide bomber robs regiment of its soul
When Robert Girouard was killed, his unit lost more than its Chief Warrant Officer

Christie Blatchford, Globe & Mail, 2 Dec 06
Article Link

As Chief Warrant Officer Robert (Bobby) Girouard and Corporal Albert Storm came home to Canada last night, their flag-draped caskets arriving at CFB Trenton in a light rain, there was nothing to tell the non-military observer what a profound loss he was witnessing.

While the army properly grieves every fallen soldier equally, regardless of rank, the death of CWO Girouard was felt keenly not only on a personal level, but also as an enormous symbolic blow.

The 46-year-old husband and father of three wasn't just the senior non-commissioned officer of the 1st Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment, he was also the unit's Regimental Sergeant Major, the first of about 25 RSMs in the battalion's storied 123-year history to be killed by enemy action.

He and 36-year-old Cpl. Storm, a native of Fort Erie, Ont., and a father of two, died Monday when their Bison armoured personnel carrier was struck by a suicide bomber just west of the main base at Kandahar Air Field.

The RSM is not a rank, but an appointment -- one steeped in military lore and best expressed in the old saying that if a regiment is commanded by the lieutenant-colonel, it "belongs" to the RSM.

Equal parts mother hen, stern father figure and kindly mentor, the RSM is variously described as the soul of a regiment, the keeper of its institutional memory and fierce guardian of its traditions, and a figure so important that every soldier from the most junior private to the most senior officer listens to him "as if unto God," as one soldier said yesterday.

The RSM is also widely considered to be invulnerable, the character who, as Lieutenant-Colonel (Retired) Ron Bragdon told The Globe and Mail yesterday, "in war movies is the guy standing up and walking as the bullets are flying."

Now a senior controller for the army, former Lt.-Col. Bragdon said that the Commanding Officer-RSM relationship is the pinnacle of the officer-NCO pairing that happens as soon as a young officer gets his first assignment.

The officer, likely then in his 20s, begins as a platoon commander, with a warrant officer probably in his 30s or even early 40s. "You're brand new, and he's like the uncle. And if you don't listen to him, you can get into a lot of trouble."

By the time the officer returns, older and a little wiser, as a company commander and is paired with a sergeant-major, the relationship is more mature, with the sergeant-major now like an older brother. "He becomes your confidante, you tell him things you wouldn't even tell your wife. You might say 'I have a great idea!' and he'll say, 'Let's go for a walk,' and he'll provide you that other perspective. And it might even be a great idea."

The next step, where the CO and RSM pair up, the relationship changes again, "brother to brother, but you're more equal, you're closer in age. Now, you do more than just move together inside the battalion, when the CO goes to merit boards to discuss troop promotions, the RSM goes with him."

Indeed, the CO and RSM "are together 70 per cent of the time and when they are not, it is often because the CO has asked the RSM to chase down an issue of 'ground truth,' " Lt.-Col. Geordie Elms said yesterday in an e-mail from Kabul, where he is now the Canadian defence attaché.

Col. Elms attended the ramp ceremony in Kandahar two days ago when the Canadian battle group said goodbye to Cpl. Storm and the RSM.

"I had known him for 27 years," Col. Elms wrote wistfully, from when "he was Private Bobby Girouard. . . . I looked at the picture released of him and thought, 'He still looks the same, with that grin and those ears.' "

The CO-RSM relationship, he said, "goes on long after each of you give up your appointments. I saw it in my father -- an RSM -- with the COs he served under, and I see it at every regimental gathering or reunion."

Indeed, one of the first people to whom Col. Elms had to break the news of RSM Girouard's death was his own old RSM.

So revered is the office of RSM, and so two-headed the nature of his responsibilities -- Col. Elms describes it as having one foot in the sergeants' mess and the other in the CO's tent -- that tradition decrees that while the troops may address him as "RSM," officers must refer to him as Mister.

Only the CO has the privilege of calling him RSM, as the men do.

RSM Girouard embodied all of the lore "and more," says a 1RCR officer who grew up in the ranks before being commissioned and thus has seen RSMs from both ends.

Wounded in Afghanistan, the officer said it was RSM Girouard's "face I saw soon after" and whose "words which drove me to recover and to get back overseas in a few days."

But even as he looks after the men, simultaneously the RSM's other responsibility is to watch his CO's "6 o'clock" -- his back. RSM Girouard was doing just this when he was killed.

On Monday last, the 1RCR CO, Lt.-Col. Omer Lavoie was in the lead vehicle of the convoy as it left the air field, with RSM Girouard and Cpl. Storm in the Bison just behind.

Command is acknowledged as the loneliest job, with CO Lavoie's peer group, as such, consisting only of the hard-charging former hockey player with the Royals. "I have no doubt," Col. Elms said, "that RSM Girouard will be with Omer the rest of his life."

On Wednesday, when he returns to CFB Petawawa, Bobby Girouard's body will be marched through the 1RCR lines for the last time.

cblatchford@globeandmail.com

Christie, even my wife, a jaded ex-journalist, is regaining some faith in the profession because of you.  Well done.

geo said:
with all respect to Capt Goddard, Mr Hutchinson describes the RSM as the highest-ranking Cdn soldier to die in theatre....

- well certainly the most influential - let's leave it at that.

CHIMO!
Actually, I've heard some say that the enlisted/NCMs are the "soldiers".  But the point is well taken.  NOBODY has the clout of an RSM.  Or respect.

I don't think that anybody else, especially somebody with no military experience, could have done it better Christie.

Watching the character of Colour Sergeant Bourne in "Zulu" is probably the best illustration that I can come up with - and the movie's worth watching for much more than that.

Interestingly, for me anyway, is that the real Colour Sergeant Bourne is buried in the Beckenham (Kent) Cemetery and Crematorium, where my grandparents' ashes were deposited. Beckenham is my home town. He was only 24 years old during the Battle of Rorke's Drift and was the last survivor of that action. He died on VE Day 1945.

One minor criticism, if I may, Christie: The name of The Royal Canadian Regiment is exactly that, with a capital "The", as in 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment. I don't think that anybody in the media has got that right yet.

This came of The Regimental net; for guidance for those who can attend:

Subject: Funeral Details for CWO Girouard and Cpl Storm

Repatriation Ceremony  - Friday 1 December 2006 - 1800 hrs - Trenton - confirmed.

NOTE: EXACT DATES HAVE NOT YET BEEN CONFIRMED FOR FUNERALS.  FINAL UPDATE WILL BE SENT SOONEST. THIS IS THE CURRENT PLAN.

CWO Girouard

Visitation for family and friends - Tuesday 5 Dec - 1900 to 2100 - Murphy Funeral Home, Pembroke, 296 Isabella Street, Pembroke, ON K8A 5S9,  613-735-5711

Funeral Service - Wednesday 6 Dec 06 - 1000 hrs - Y-101 drill hall - all to be seated by 0950
Pre-reception for family only - 0900 Sr NCO Stand Easy, Y-101 - presentation of memorial crosses
Light reception - immediately following service in the hallway of Y-101

Interment - Beechwood National Military Cemetery - Ottawa - 1500 hrs (exact timing tbc)
Transport to Beechwood - 4 x buses are available for tpt to and from Beechwood for those that are interested in travelling to Ottawa.  Buses will depart from Y-101 parade square shortly after completion of service.

Reception - upon completion of interment service there will be a full reception back at Y-101 - note - there will not be a reception at Beechwood

Note: Funeral service for Mr. Girouard will double as the unit memorial.

Cpl Storm

Visitation - Thursday 7 Dec 06 - likely in the evening - Morgan / Morse & Son Funeral Home 5917 Main Street, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 5Z7,  905-356-3550

Funeral - Friday 8 Dec 06 - 1300 hrs - Lincoln & Welland Regiment Armouries, 81 Lake Street, St. Catherine's, Ontario, L2R 5X3, 905-685-6777 - funeral may change location to a church on the same street - (more to follow)

Interment - Friday 8 Dec 06 - immediately following service - Pleasantville Memorial Gardens,  2250 Hwy 20 RR#1 Thorold (Font Hills), Ontario, 1-800-563-8548

Reception - will follow interment and is tentatively set for the St. Catherine's Legion

Unit Memorial - date not yet assigned. Pending wishes/desire of family - tbd this weekend

Christie,

I just read your article. Although I am not a "Royal", my father was and my brother is.

Thank you for the very well written article.

Just some minor changes in today's confirmed schedule:

Below are the confirmed funeral details for Mr. Girouard and Cpl Storm.

CWO Girouard

Visitation for family and friends - Tuesday 5 Dec - 1900 to 2100 - Murphy Funeral Home, Pembroke, 296 Isabella Street, Pembroke, ON K8A 5S9,  613-735-5711

Family pre-reception - Wednesday 6 Dec 06 - 0900 hrs Sr NCO Stand Easy - Y-101 - family and VVIPs only

Funeral Service - Wednesday 6 Dec 06 - 1000 hrs - Y-101 drill hall - all to be seated by 0950

Light reception - immediately following service in the hallway of Y-101

Interment - Beechwood National Military Cemetery - Ottawa - Wednesday 6 Dec 06 - 1430 hrs

Transport to Beechwood - 4 x buses are available for tpt to and from Beechwood for those that are interested in travelling to Ottawa.  Buses will depart from Y-101 parade square shortly after completion of service.

Reception - upon completion of interment service there will be a full reception back at Y-101 - note - there will not be a reception at Beechwood

Cpl Storm

Visitation - Wed 6 Dec and Thurs 7 Dec 06 - 1400 to 1600 hrs and 1900 to 2100 hrs.  Morse and Son Funeral Home, 5917 Main Street, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 5Z7, 905-356-3550

Funeral Service - Friday 8 Dec 06 - 1300 hrs - Lincoln & Welland Regiment Armouries, 81 Lake Street, St. Catherine's, Ontario, L2R 5X3, 905-685-6777

Interment - Friday 8 Dec 06 - immediately following service at aprox. 1430 hrs - Pleasantville Memorial Gardens, 2250 Hwy 20 RR#1 Thorold (Font Hills), Ontario, 1-800-563-8548 

Reception - will follow the interment at the Vine Street St. Catherine's Legion Branch 418, 294 Vine Street, St. Catherine's ON, L2M 4T3, 905-935-3242

Unit Memorial - The family of Cpl Storm prefers that we wait to have a unit memorial once the BG has redeployed to Canada.  This will likely be in Apr 07.  More to follow.

I am a member of the Rotary Club of Owen Sound. Two years ago, CWO Girouard addressed our club on his work at LFTC Meaford. It was evident then that CWO Girouard was proud of his work, proud of his uniform and of his country. Though not a polished speaker, he conveyed to all of us his commitment and dedication to his vocation. In respect for him and his family in this difficult time, we had a moment of silence and prayer for CWO Girouard. And it made distant events seem very, very real and human.

In contrast to “Sergeant Major marching up and down the square” was the RSM of 3RCR, ’93-’96:

There was a parade at CFB Borden, and at the end the CO called up the RSM. The usual SOP was for the RSM ‘to march smartly in quick time to the CO’. This RSM marched about three paces, in quick time, changed grip of his pace stick to the high port (as per a rifle), and changed to double time to the CO……still as per the drill pam, still looking smart. Minus 20 meters of the CO, the RSM changed to quick time, and changed grip of his pace stick under his arm……all as per the drill pam. Although this RSM was employed in every level of the battalion, and did things by the drill pam, double time, 'weapon at the high port', showed that deep down inside he was still a rifleman, he was still a soldier.

Rest easy, RSM Girouard. God took you away from your battalion, so I’m sure you’re going to sort him out when you next see him.

:salute: :cdn:

Excellent job, as always, Mrs. Blatchford. Thanks.

CWO Robert Girouard-CO’s remarks.

My God, where does a man even begin to try to express how he feels about another man that has been his confidante, advisor, and indeed his friend for the past 18 months and who he has been joined to the hip with and has entrusted his very life with for the past 4 months in combat? A man that in reality he has only known for less than two years and at the same time a man whose loss feels like the loss of an appendage, a brother and a friend all at the same time. Well, first and foremost I need to begin with the centre of Bob Girouard’s universe, his family. Jacqueline, Michael, Jocelyn and Robert Junior. I can never ever express how sorry I am that you lost Bobby. I cannot ever pretend to understand the pain that you are feeling. All I can do is take my pain and imagine it multiplied indefinitely.

But what I can express is what I have learned and know about Bob Girouard as a family man, soldier and leader, and friend. Things, which I knew nothing of only 2 years ago but which due to that special bond between a commanding officer and his regimental sergeant major you both learn about the other at an accelerated rate, especially when the chips are really down. And it seems in the past four months, the chips have been down too often.

I probably do not need to tell anyone here, that first and foremost, Bob was a family man. When we first met, we did most of our talking during our morning PT run. On those runs we solved and planned most of the issues facing us in the battalion, from the brigade and indeed sometimes from the army. But inevitably, the talks eventually reverted to the happenings in our families. It did not take long for me to appreciate that his family was his life. Of course, initially as we were only getting to know each other, the talk was based on what the kids were up to, our wives jobs, weekend plans, etc. I learned about Bob coaching his boys through hockey as they grew up, about his protective instinct when it came to Jocelyn and her actual or potential boyfriends and of course I learned about the love of his life, Jacky. I learned how they were childhood sweethearts, how they left Bathurst at an early age to follow Bob’s career in the army and their early days in London in 1 RCR as a couple living on a private’s salary.

But, as we got to know each other better, we began to get more and more comfortable confiding and running things past each other when it came to family. Like most military families, it was apparent who really was the CO when it came to the family. This really struck me as I endured months of Bob’s stories of Jackie “supervising” his installation of flooring in their new home. After having just completed major basement renovations myself, we found a common bond that reminded us that our rank and appointments pretty well ended at the front door of our homes.

As I grew to appreciate the strong family that Bob and Jackie raised as evidenced through their exceptional children, I grew a greater and greater respect for Bob. A respect that allowed me to run things by him that my family was experiencing and that he and Jackie had already came across. And like always in his advice, he never steered me astray. But also, and perhaps most importantly it was a respect born out of his sense of balance. A sense of balance that on the one hand allowed him to be an exceptional Regimental Sergeant Major and soldier and at the same time an outstanding husband and father.  And these talks about our families never stopped in Canada. In Afghanistan we spent many hours in the quiet lulls of operations, often in the desert or on the side of a mountain discussing our futures. And Bob’s plans always were tempered around what Jacky wanted and where the kids might settle. He never put himself first. I knew he was an excellent family man and I respected him for it because I truly believe that how one takes care of his family is a reflection of how someone is a person and leader and how they will take care of their soldiers.

Chief Warrant Officer Bob Girouard took care of his soldiers. He died doing it. He was a soldier and leader. I know I am biased, but he was the best Regimental Sergeant Major that I have ever worked with. And I know that I am not alone in saying that. His soldiers loved and respected him. Across the battle group on that terrible morning as I called in the contact and situation reports, all of the command posts across the Task Force fell silent as they learned that their beloved “NINER CHARLIE”’s vehicle was struck awaiting their worst fear to be confirmed.

RSM Girouard was respected by his soldiers. He had the perfect balance of “Old Army” discipline and “New Army” leadership. When a soldier needed a kick in the ass, I saw more than a few leave his office terrified and vowing to clean up their act so as not to repeat having to go in front of him again. We had very few repeat offenders. But, that style of leadership was the exception rather than the rule. Soldiers did the right things and worked for him out of respect not fear. He was the RSM and the soldiers aspired to be like him.

He was both a soldier and a leader. And he led from the front. And the soldiers knew it. Although we both tried to keep the details of our close calls from our wives Jackie and Erica so as to not worry them, now it is only appropriate that a few war stories be told to illustrate what our soldiers already know. On more than several occasions, CWO Girouard fought side by side with the soldiers of the battle group. Bob was always forward supporting the troops and watching my “6 O’clock”.  And that is exactly where he was on the morning of 27 November. Second in the order of march crew commanding his bison and watching my back. A bison, which he unmercifully bugged MWO Macrae to get for him for the past 4 months. His reasoning was simple: to support the troops. Often we were forward or actually with platoons when they came under contact and he always wanted to be able to have a ready upload of ammunition and medical supplies with him that he could bring forward, and use the bison if necessary to extract casualties back. On return from leave, he finally got his wish and he was in his glory stuffing every square inch of the vehicle with 25 mm and 7.62 mm ammunition and medical supplies. And though we did not make it all the way forward on that patrol, the soldiers of the battle group knew that he died coming forward to support them.

A soldier’s life is priceless and no life is any more valuable than any other. But certainly, the impact that is felt when we lose soldiers can sometimes be felt more deeply and widely in some cases. That is certainly the case with Bobby Girouard. His loss is not only felt across the battle group, but across the entire Regiment, Army and Canadian Forces. There are many here in this Battle Group who are proud to have known him, served with him and to call him their friend. And I count myself amongst them. I am proud to say I considered him my friend. Though on the outside and in front of the troops, we always maintained that professional CO/RSM interaction and demeanour, on the inside I considered him a special friend. A friendship born of that special CO/RSM bond. A bond formed from spending so much time together, in both good times and bad. Times that ranged from our pride in the soldiers of the battle group after major victories against the enemy to the terrible times where we lost too many good men.

On the morning of the ramp ceremony here in Kandahar, I woke up convinced that this time I would not be able to speak to the troops afterwards like I normally did. I thought and even told the padres that I might just salute and leave rather than risk losing my composure in front of the troops as I am now as I write this. But I also knew that it was not right and I knew that Bob would have wanted me to tell his soldiers to keep up the fight and to soldier on as he always told them after losing men in battle. And this is what I told them: “We have not really lost RSM Girouard. He is still with us because he is in all of you. His strengths of leadership, professionalism, fighting spirit and courage have all been instilled in you through the example he has set for all of us. So we will continue to bring the fight to the enemy because we all know he would want us to finish the job, and we will”. In the end I found the strength to say the words and deep down, I know where I found it from. Bobby is still watching my 6 O’Clock.

Jacqueline, Michael, Jocelyn and Robert Junior, please accept my deepest condolences on behalf of the 1 RCR Battle Group. Bob is sorely missed. God grant you the strength to get through this loss. We will honour his sacrifice. I promise you.

Omer Lavoie
Lieutenant-Colonel
Commanding Officer
1 RCR Battle Group

What an outstanding letter!

Thank you for posting it!

Back