• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

I know its crap, I've worn it for 10 years. But what's different in load bearing kit today that you're referencing? You said this stuff isn't modern.
Better materials exist -

That is a ton of nylon

This is my gear from 2015

IMG_0903.jpeg

Looks the same to me and I'd imagine the material is better now than than 10 years ago.
Whether the CAF uses the better material is the question. Remember the issued boots pre-bootforgen? Soldiers were literally putting their feet through them. The new issued sleeping bag system looks nice; it's suspiciously lacking a temperature rating.

I see a chest rig. I see a battle belt. I see pouches. Looks the same to me and I'd imagine the material is better now than than 10 years ago. Lots of things to shit on the CAF for, I don't think that this is one of them.
My point being that the new gear is still 20 years old design/material wise.

Heck over 20years ago there was a MFAL trial
IMG_0904.jpeg
The Attila-200 was way better than the PEQ-2 and then CA got old PAC-4C’s and only enough PEQ-2A’s for Section Commanders and adobe.

The US Army has fielded 3 different MFAL since that, and the CA may get around to replacing the lasers in 2029 based on the last project timeline.

By then current cutting edge gear will be obsolete and you will again be left behind the 8 ball.

IMG_0905.jpeg

Whether the CAF uses the better material is the question. Remember the issued boots pre-bootforgen? Soldiers were literally putting their feet through them. The new issued sleeping bag system looks nice; it's suspiciously lacking a temperature rating.
It looks like my tactical tailor shit in terms of material. That stuff works just fine.

2004 ;)
Admittedly I would swap between a PC and CIRAS-M.
- also my first Crye Battlebelt in 2005 had cardboard in it instead of the soft armor (apparently the size didn’t allow for NIJ Fair Hit, so they didn’t ship them with armor for the first few runs) - yeah I found kit after wearing it in Iraq for 6 months…

The fact the CAF hasn’t been able to issue modern gear in 20 years is fucking criminal. @MJP can attest how many attempts we made to point out how crap a lot of the issued gear was back then.

You had a removable placard to stand alone chest ringing 2004?

I think you’d bed very very surprised if you saw a regular us army soldier and their kit lol

My point being that the new gear is still 20 years old design/material wise.

Heck over 20years ago there was a MFAL trial
View attachment 85613
The Attila-200 was way better than the PEQ-2 and then CA got old PAC-4C’s and only enough PEQ-2A’s for Section Commanders and adobe.

The US Army has fielded 3 different MFAL since that, and the CA may get around to replacing the lasers in 2029 based on the last project timeline.

By then current cutting edge gear will be obsolete and you will again be left behind the 8 ball.

View attachment 85614
We weren't talking about lasers. We were about load bearing kit and you said this stuff isn't modern. You still haven't said how it isn't modern.

I think you’d bed very very surprised if you saw a regular us army soldier and their kit lol
I think this whole conversation is a case of SOFitis. Of course they have advanced shit but this kit wouldnt be going to cansof or JTF, it'd be going to Bloggins at the RCR or LdSH

No that admittedly wasn’t till 2011

I avoid GPF like the plague bro.

We weren't talking about lasers. We were about load bearing kit and you said this stuff isn't modern. You still haven't said how it isn't modern.
I showed a picture of my PC, I figured you could get the idea.

But I pulled a better pic using the Crye Airlite SPC off Crye’s website.

IMG_0907.jpeg

I think this whole conversation is a case of SOFitis. Of course they have advanced shit but this kit wouldnt be going to cansof or JTF, it'd be going to Bloggins at the RCR or LdSH
No the whole point is why buy old shit.

If you can get lighter and more durable gear, why not do it?

But by all means keeps rocking the TacVest.

That’s a terrible line of argument. This stuff isn’t more expensive or more complicated, it’s just better.

That’s a terrible line of argument. This stuff isn’t more expensive or more complicated, it’s just better.
It's realistic. I'm sure everyone in the Army would be happy with what is posted in the photos and it's an exponential upgrade over the fishing vest. We can dream about the latest maglev load bearing rig with ray shielding or whatever but it ain't gonna happen. The perfect is the enemy of the good and what logistik made there looks surprisingly good.

It's realistic. I'm sure everyone in the Army would be happy with what is posted in the photos and it's an exponential upgrade over the fishing vest. We can dream about the latest maglev load bearing rig with ray shielding or whatever but it ain't gonna happen. The perfect is the enemy of the good and what logistik made there looks surprisingly good.
I think there’s a valid criticism that we should be looking at the most up to date materials. But there’s pro’s and cons to everything. @KevinB is right about the criminal state of our load bearing equipment, I’m just arguing the semantics and how prevalent things actually were.

Nylon has some uses. But it’s heavy and burns/melts easily.

Modular protection is a requirement these days - as the items needed for COIN aren’t the same as Near Peer/Peer LSCO’s.

The US Armor Interceptor Body Armor of the 2006 period was an example of how not to do that. The CAF Body Armor was not much better.

More to follow.

I think there’s a valid criticism that we should be looking at the most up to date materials. But there’s pro’s and cons to everything. @KevinB is right about the criminal state of our load bearing equipment, I’m just arguing the semantics and how prevalent things actually were.

It's OK... we've proven that, if you ignore the problem for long enough, the troops will buy their own kit ;)

That article is annoying. It’s raising a valid concern but no one was buying their own helmets. Everyone is buying their own load bearing kit. This is an issue that could be solved for a million.
New dress regs even list out the requirements for COTS chest rigs etc "until the next generation system can be procured by the CAF"

Back