• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

First and foremost, try and get it in writing that is in effect.  (ie a copy of the directive, the source itself, in print) This will tell you the details, and the level this was decided at.  Only from that document can you make an informed decision, the rest is spec fire at this point really.

So, my advice, request a copy of the order/directive/authority in which the details were laid out. 

Until then I suggest getting some vector cereal and a protein shake mix... get a rack of banannas, some apples and some rice and pasta if you can find a way to cook them. No life like it...  ;D

I get by on a mini-fridge, microwave, and a ricemaker.  Its doable.  And I eat healthy like this.

Eye In The Sky said:
I get by on a mini-fridge, microwave, and a ricemaker.  Its doable.  And I eat healthy like this.
That's exactly how I want to live...just on base by the gym. Now I'm so torn.

Eye In The Sky said:

Exactly! Add a toaster oven to that and I'd be more than fine.  I could eat better, healthier, and cheaper than at the mess.  I don't care if the mess is 'convenient', it's not worth it for me.

Sparkplugs said:
  I just want fair and equal treatment.  If they don't have to be on rations, why should I? 

Judging by the information you have posted, those people not currently linked will be forced on ration strenght in 3 months as well. They were under an old policy that has been changed and have been given 3 months to learn to deal with that. You arrived under the Wing's new policy hence why you are immediately on ration strenght. 3 months from now you and your neighbour will all be paying rations so there's no "us  &them".

The toaster oven and hot plate, etc are prohibited here.  I would check your SQ Regulations for what you can have in your locale.  Even with PLD at $630ish here for Halifax, this is the least expensive living for me right now.  That wouldn't be the case if I had to take Rations, and I'd be outta here.

CDN Aviator said:
Judging by the information you have posted, those people not currently linked will be forced on ration strenght in 3 months as well. They were under an old policy that has been changed and have been given 3 months to learn to deal with that. You arrived under the Wing's new policy hence why you are immediately on ration strenght. 3 months from now you and your neighbour will all be paying rations so there's no "us  &them".

That's what I'm trying to tell you.  That CFAO came out awhile ago, and no one has been informed that the 3 month grace period has put into place.  If they were going to put someone back on rations, wouldn't they need to warn them first? 

Also, why have people who arrived here after I did, not have to go on rations?

Eye In The Sky said:
The toaster oven and hot plate, etc are prohibited here.  I would check your SQ Regulations for what you can have in your locale.  Even with PLD at $630ish here for Halifax, this is the least expensive living for me right now.  That wouldn't be the case if I had to take Rations, and I'd be outta here.

They are in the common room here, not my room.  We're authorized to use them in there.

CDN Aviator said:
Judging by the information you have posted, those people not currently linked will be forced on ration strenght in 3 months as well. They were under an old policy that has been changed and have been given 3 months to learn to deal with that. You arrived under the Wing's new policy hence why you are immediately on ration strenght. 3 months from now you and your neighbour will all be paying rations so there's no "us  &them".

Which may be the case but I still think she has some issues that should be dealt with, specifically not being allowed to go to lunch because she got a box meal at midnight......

CDN Aviator said:

Keep reading.  The word was that is was going to happen, but there has not been a deadline on this 3 months yet.  So technically, until this deadline is set, everyone coming in should have the option of being on rations or not.

FYI - My weekly grocery bill comes to between $50-75 depending on what I need for meats.  That's including all fresh foods and no frozen or prepackaged junk (except sometimes I do go for frozen veggies). (single person of course)  The price of rations must include the cost of preparation because there is no need to be paying that much, especially when all the purchases are bulk.  Oh, and I can put away quite a bit of food, so it's not like I'm skimping on portion size.

popnfresh said:
That's exactly how I want to live...just on base by the gym. Now I'm so torn.

Well get a posting to 12 Wing, and live-in at Warrior Block.  I am looking out my window at the gym, a whole 300m's away, while I am eating the bowl of mixed veggies I heated up in my microwave.  Yup.  Living the dream I am!   ::)

Strike said:
Keep reading.  The word was that is was going to happen, but there has not been a deadline on this 3 months yet.  So technically, until this deadline is set, everyone coming in should have the option of being on rations or not.

FYI - My weekly grocery bill comes to between $50-75 depending on what I need for meats.  That's including all fresh foods and no frozen or prepackaged junk (except sometimes I do go for frozen veggies). (single person of course)  The price of rations must include the cost of preparation because there is no need to be paying that much, especially when all the purchases are bulk.  Oh, and I can put away quite a bit of food, so it's not like I'm skimping on portion size.

Agreed on the bulk part, but someone has to order/deliver/prepare/serve that food.  Staff is hired to make sure there is cutlury there for you, plates, cups, etc for when you arrive, and someone cleans it when you leave.  I know, its not much of an explaination to some but...if you consider the convienence of it, there is that.  No grocery shopping, no dishes to do, someone makes my eggs for me, etc.  There are 2 sides to a coin.  ;)

I know for me, my breaky is 500ml of skim milk ($0.50) , a package of oatmeal ($0.30) w/flax seed powder, 2 pieces of fruit ($1).  Can't do much healthier and cheaper than that.  I am a fair size guy and I don't eat $500 a month in groceries.  I also *know* I can't eat as 'clean' in the mess as I do in my penthouse suite here in Trump Palace, aka Warrior Block 3rd floor.  (its the penthouse 'cause its right across from the bathroom  8))

The CFAO that Vern linked does not apply in this case.  Servicing crews are expected to bring a lunch/meal from home.  Only the aircrew of SAR units are able to eat at the eating Mess or get box lunches - as they are not permitted to leave the hangar.  The only exception to this would be crews involved with maintaining and servicing the alert aircraft in the QRA.

Strike said:
  What if 2 pilots on the same crew are both asking for the vegetarian meal?  They can't be the same. 

Sure they can - the orders are very specific and only really affect those who are flying transatlantic or in the arctic.

Ok I am missing something then.  IIRC, the CFAO spoke about the duration of duty being key...i.e. +8 hours.  

And...you didn't make sense when you said
Only the aircrew of SAR units are able to eat at the eating Mess or get box lunches - as they are not permitted to leave the hangar.
 How can they eat at the eating mess if they are not allowed to leave the hanger?

And the issue isn't really about the tech's not on rations, rather the ones that are, and are given a box lunch and told they can't eat at the mess.  

They won't let you eat an 'extra' meal?  They should have to reimburse you for the ones you miss then.  You can't have your cake and not eat it too.

Vern

I don;'t see how it's wasting tax payer money to delink, food ordered is based on personel linked, so those not on Ration strength would/should not be taken into account past the cash sales number. There should not be hundreds of thousands of dollars of wasted money going to a person who may eat here, as that is what the linking sysem is about no?
It gives the kitchen planning staff the hard numbers on pers who pay for Rations and should be attending meals. The should in there is some days you eat out or at a friends you know?

Or am I totaly misreading your post about this?

Eye In The Sky said:
How can they eat at the eating mess if they are not allowed to leave the hanger?

I knew that question would come up - I just couldn't find a grammatically correct way of fitting in the complete picture in my last post.

SAR crews can not leave the hangar - the only exception is if all of them leave together to go and eat at the mess.  We all trundle off down the road - the FO diligently carrying the duty cell phone.  That way if we get launched - we can all make the collective sprint together.

At the flying schools - we routinely will schedule our students to fly over the meal hours at the mess.  They must order a box lunch (if linked) and then are not eligible for a steam line meal if their mission is canceled, etc.

Hello all;

Couldn't find any info on this so I am throwing it out to all of you, Mods feel free to move this topic if not in the right cat.

Anyone know if the NCO quarters in Borden have internet (such as Juno Tower in Halifax...plug and play) or if we are required to go through civvie company.

Your help is appreciated

totally off topic, but after Juno Tower everything else is Sh*t

I went to CFB Kingston on a two week course and they had me in a room with a roomate.

I was like this is way you treat Senior NCO's!

Esquimalt C&PO's is just as bad!

Back