• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
Occam said:
I'd have to agree.  One would have to find out if Trenton decided to delink since they were authorized to back in '99.  The whole argument would hinge on the answer to that question.  :)

Read her very first post. Trenton was delinked ... and has given those members who did delink a 3 month grace before they start paying again.

Sometimes, you know, it helps to read the entire thread.  ;)

Obviously, Trenton is one of those locations who is reverting to the old way. You stay - you pay, not the taxpayers. Makes sense to me.

For lunch you can have your CofC put in a req for box meal (Breakfast/Lunch/Supper). The only problem is they are usually not the healthiest meal. I found if you order a specialty meal (ie Vegetarian/No Sulfides) you get a more hand made substitute. I have used this for almost a year and avoid all the lineups at the mess (and it is 15 min travel time from my work place to the mess).

And as far as I know the pers in Wainwright have been relinked with no options for meals plans such that is in effect in Edmonton.

ArmyVern said:
Read her very first post. Trenton was delinked ... and has given those members who did delink a 3 month grace before they start paying again.

Sometimes, you know, it helps to read the entire thread.  ;)

That's not what she said.

Also, people who arrived here before I did, did not have to link up...  There was an email printed out and taped on the wall that said that the personnel currently de-linked would be forced to link with a 3 month grace period.  This has not come down yet, and those not paying rations, have not been told that they will have to re-link.

It would also be interesting to find out the source of the e-mail in question - was it from someone in authority, or was it from the Chief Bottle Washer?

Obviously, Trenton is one of those locations who is reverting to the old way. You stay - you pay, not the taxpayers. Makes sense to me.

The bean counters must've seen it differently back in 1999, or they wouldn't have authorized a change.

Occam said:
That's not what she said.

It would also be interesting to find out the source of the e-mail in question - was it from someone in authority, or was it from the Chief Bottle Washer?

The bean counters must've seen it differently back in 1999, or they wouldn't have authorized a change.

It certainly SEEMS to be exactly what she said.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/78270/post-736002.html#msg736002

Apparently, the bean counters have since realized that you STILL have to buy enough food to feed everyone "living in" "every meal" "every day" -- just in case they show up to eat it. And guess who pays for the written-off food when those members do not show up to eat (thus pay for it)?? And, apparently, Jane & Joe taxpayer have a problem with that ... as do I - it's MY taxes too, and we are not talking nickles and dimes.

ArmyVern said:
It certainly SEEMS to be exactly what she said.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/78270/post-736002.html#msg736002

Apparently, the bean counters have since realized that you STILL have to buy enough food to feed everyone "living in" "every meal" "every day" -- just in case they show up to eat it. And guess who pays for the written-off food when those members do not show up to eat (thus pay for it)?? And, apparently, Jane & Joe taxpayer have a problem with that ... as do I - it's MY taxes too, and we are not talking nickles and dimes.

I said what was quoted... No one has been told that they are being re-linked.  No one.  There are people who have gotten here after I did, who weren't forced on rations as well, I've been asking around today.  Hey, it's my taxes too, and also my $427 a month.  It would be cheaper for you, and all the other taxpayers, if they just let me buy my own groceries.  Besides, like I said, in Trenton, most of the people who eat at the mess are cash customers.  For the size of this base, a couple hundred people on meal cards would not add up to all the food they have to make anyway 'just in case' all the civvies and cash payers come in that day.

And I'm sorry if I'm the only one to ever complain about Trenton's mess.  As far as I've seen, it's pretty much the same as the mess in Borden and Cold Lake, selection-wise.  Box lunches are not a healthy, nutritious meal, and they're not enough to feed even me for 12 hours.  The fact that we're not allowed to take food out from the mess, like supper leftovers, etc, instead of a box lunch, is stupid.  And as far as the box lunch being a 'freebie' for being a shiftworker, how do you explain the fact that we've been forbidden from eating lunch on the day we get a box lunch.  We were told it counts as our third meal, so we're not entitled to lunch.  So who's eating my lunch that I'm paying for, if my box lunch is 'free'?

Sparkplugs said:
I said what was quoted... No one has been told that they are being re-linked.  No one.  There are people who have gotten here after I did, who weren't forced on rations as well, I've been asking around today.  Hey, it's my taxes too, and also my $427 a month.  It would be cheaper for you, and all the other taxpayers, if they just let me buy my own groceries.  Besides, like I said, in Trenton, most of the people who eat at the mess are cash customers.  For the size of this base, a couple hundred people on meal cards would not add up to all the food they have to make anyway 'just in case' all the civvies and cash payers come in that day.

And I'm sorry if I'm the only one to ever complain about Trenton's mess.  As far as I've seen, it's pretty much the same as the mess in Borden and Cold Lake, selection-wise.  Box lunches are not a healthy, nutritious meal, and they're not enough to feed even me for 12 hours.  The fact that we're not allowed to take food out from the mess, like supper leftovers, etc, instead of a box lunch, is stupid.  And as far as the box lunch being a 'freebie' for being a shiftworker, how do you explain the fact that we've been forbidden from eating lunch on the day we get a box lunch.  We were told it counts as our third meal, so we're not entitled to lunch.  So who's eating my lunch that I'm paying for, if my box lunch is 'free'?

To me something doesn't add up, granted I'm on TD here but eventhough I am provided with a box lunch from the courses that come thru my training area I can go to the Mess Hall and use my meal card if I want to.

Sparkplugs said:

Well, as per your post -- if you're eating a midnight box lunch as a part of the Snags crew --- you aren't working at lunch time.

I never said box lunchs were good meals -- I said they were "Bonus" meals ... as in "free".

And obviously, it being cheaper on us taxpayers is NOT bearing out to be factual --- with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of food being written off because the people aren't showing up to eat it.

It may indeed be cheaper for you, the individual, (you say you can't eat that much a month, but most complain they don't get enough food at the mess - so ... you're the exception) - but the CF (and Jane & Joe taxpayer) don't operate on an "individual" basis. And, if you're on a special diet, low carb, vegan, whatever, the Yukon Galley will provide specialized meals for you if you just bother to ask through your CoC (as already suggested to you in this thread).

Now, if you're telling me that Snags does not let you get up and walk the 5 minute jaunt to the kitchen to eat your lunch -- that's a whole 'nother matter entirely, but that does not seem to be the case.

And, my other comment came from this statement of yours:

Also, people who arrived here before I did, did not have to link up...  There was an email printed out and taped on the wall that said that the personnel currently de-linked would be forced to link with a 3 month grace period.  This has not come down yet, and those not paying rations, have not been told that they will have to re-link.

hmmmm, certainly seems to me like you said that those who were currently delinked were being given a 3 month grace period before they had to relink.

You don't want people to be confused and misunderstand you? Stop contradicting yourself.

Sparkplugs said:
  And as far as the box lunch being a 'freebie' for being a shiftworker, how do you explain the fact that we've been forbidden from eating lunch on the day we get a box lunch.  We were told it counts as our third meal, so we're not entitled to lunch.  So who's eating my lunch that I'm paying for, if my box lunch is 'free'?

Well now, isn't that a kick in the buttocks......this gets better and better.
Do the living out per get box lunches on night shift also?

NFLD Sapper said:
To me something doesn't add up, granted I'm on TD here but eventhough I am provided with a box lunch from the courses that come thru my training area I can go to the Mess Hall and use my meal card if I want to.

And, they can in Trenton too.

ArmyVern said:
Well, as per your post -- if you're eating a midnight box lunch as a part of the Snags crew --- you aren't working at lunch time.

I never said box lunchs were good meals -- I said they were "Bonus" meals ... as in "free".

And obviously, it being cheaper on us taxpayers is NOT bearing out to be factual --- with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of food being written off because the people aren't showing up to eat it.

It may indeed be cheaper for you, the individual, (you say you can't eat that much a month, but most complain they don't get enough food at the mess - so ... you're the exception) - but the CF (and Jane & Joe taxpayer) don't operate on an "individual" basis.

Now, if you're telling me that Snags does not let you get up and walk the 5 minute jaunt to the kitchen to eat your lunch -- that'sa whole 'nother matter entirely, but that does not seem to be the case.

And, my other comment came from this statement of yours:

hmmmm, certainly seems to me like you said that those who were currently delinked were being given a 3 month grace period before they had to relink.

You don't want people to be confused and misunderstand you? Stop contradicting yourself.

I am not entitled to eat meals only when I am working.  I am paying for three meals a day on this card, so if what you said is right, that box lunches are free, than I should still be entitled to wake up and go eat lunch.  Otherwise I'm only getting my two meals that I'm paying for. 

Yes, Snags lets me go to lunch, that's not what I'm saying.....  The give us the box lunches for our midnight meal, but we were told on those days, we were not allowed to eat lunch during the day.

The email that was printed said they were going to be given three months grace...  I'm not contradicting myself, I simply said that no one had been told that yet.  All the guys who are currently de-linked, have not been told that they will be de-linked.  The email said it, but it hasn't come down as anything official yet.  Most people living in, had no idea that some people were being forced, they haven't been told anything. 

And you're still not addressing the question I had where if it's just us living-ins on meal cards that are causing the wasted food and money problems, why are they letting everyone else eat with cash?  There are a ton of civvies and mbrs that pay by cash, what about them?

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Thinking the same as me eh? I'm waiting for a response now from one of my snags buds. He's currently -- out to lunch.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

No, they don't.  We've been told that we are paying for the box lunch, hence why we're not allowed to eat lunch at the mess on the days that we're given a box lunch.  I'd like to think that if it were 'free', as Vern said, everyone would be getting one, not just those of us on rations strength.

ArmyVern said:
I never said box lunchs were good meals -- I said they were "Bonus" meals ... as in "free"

Can't see how they are free if she can't wake up by noon and eat the meal she is PAYING for....

Wow 3 posts since I typed this...oh well, here it goes anyway, hope it fits.

Sparkplugs said:
I am not entitled to eat meals only when I am working.  I am paying for three meals a day on this card, so if what you said is right, that box lunches are free, than I should still be entitled to wake up and go eat lunch.  Otherwise I'm only getting my two meals that I'm paying for. 

Yes, Snags lets me go to lunch, that's not what I'm saying.....  The give us the box lunches for our midnight meal, but we were told on those days, we were not allowed to eat lunch during the day.

The email that was printed said they were going to be given three months grace...  I'm not contradicting myself, I simply said that no one had been told that yet.  All the guys who are currently de-linked, have not been told that they will be de-linked.  The email said it, but it hasn't come down as anything official yet.  Most people living in, had no idea that some people were being forced, they haven't been told anything. 

And you're still not addressing the question I had where if it's just us living-ins on meal cards that are causing the wasted food and money problems, why are they letting everyone else eat with cash?  There are a ton of civvies and mbrs that pay by cash, what about them?

Regardless of the amount of civvies they forecast -- they also HAVE TO HAVE ENOUGH food on hand to feed "all living in pers" "all meals" "every day" just in case you decide to show up.

Bruce,

IF that's the case - then something's wrong. See my last post to you. ALL shiftworkers got box lunchs (those living out as well) for a midnight meal. I'm waiting for a response back from a Snags crew member now to confirm whether or not that actually IS the case - it sure wasn't the case a short while ago.

ArmyVern said:
Regardless of the amount of civvies they forecast -- they also HAVE TO HAVE ENOUGH food on hand to feed "all living in pers" "all meals" "every day" just in case you decide to show up.

Bruce,

IF that's the case - then somethings wrong. ALL shiftworkers got box lunchs (those living out as well) for a midnight meal. I'm waiting for a response back from a Snags crew member now to confirm whether or not that actually IS the case - it sure wasn't the case a short while ago.

Only living-in personnel are entitled to night shift box lunches.  If the living-out personnel were to request them, they would have to be paid for by the unit, and the unit won't do that, seeing as they're living out, there's no reason they can't bring a lunch.  We're already paying for them, so the WO sends a letter over to Food Services, requesting box lunches for those of us living-in.  Do you really think I'd come on a site like this and lie about it?  I'm on the snags crew here, I'm just telling you the way it is.

CFAO 36-14 Entitlement to meals and public rations

Aircrew and support personnel:  Aircrew and support personnel required for a continuous state of readiness which is longer than the normal duty period will be provided with meals at no charge for the duration of the readiness period.  (after the normal 8 hour work day, one should be provided with the box lunch supplemental meal at no charge; regardless of whether one lives in or out.)

Aircrew and support personnel on a continuous state of readiness will receive rations on the same basis as the living-out member not subject to deductions for rations but will continue to be charged for rations through monthly deductions unless their duty precludes them from eating at their assigned mess for more than 24 hours, in which case, charges shall be remitted for the entire period (in multiples of 24 hours).

Oh, and Vern, the mess food in Trenton has gone downhill quite a bit.  The salad bar is pretty good, but the food on the line is all starch and salt.  Even the healthy choice isn't.  I remember seeing deep fried fish once.  The problem is that all the messes are being treated as if all the bases are "open" for work hours from 8-16.  As I recall, the Yukon mess used to have flexible hours that reflected the working hours of the base quite a bit better because of the 24hr SAR requirement and the maintenance hours.  This is no longer the case.

ArmyVern said:
CFAO 36-14 Entitlement to meals and public rations

Aircrew and support personnel:  Aircrew and support personnel required for a continuous state of readiness which is longer than the normal duty period will be provided with meals at no charge for the duration of the readiness period.  (after the normal 8 hour work day, one should be provided with the box lunch supplemental meal at no charge; regardless of whether one lives in or out.)

Aircrew and support personnel on a continuous state of readiness will receive rations on the same basis as the living-out member not subject to deductions for rations but will continue to be charged for rations through monthly deductions unless their duty precludes them from eating at their assigned mess for more than 24 hours, in which case, charges shall be remitted for the entire period (in multiples of 24 hours).

But 12 hours is our normal duty period, does that make a difference?

Strike said:
Oh, and Vern, the mess food in Trenton has gone downhill quite a bit.  The salad bar is pretty good, but the food on the line is all starch and salt.  Even the healthy choice isn't.  I remember seeing deep fried fish once.  The problem is that all the messes are being treated as if all the bases are "open" for work hours from 8-16.  As I recall, the Yukon mess used to have flexible hours that reflected the working hours of the base quite a bit better because of the 24hr SAR requirement and the maintenance hours.  This is no longer the case.

Every friday is deep fried fish day.  Even the healthy or vegetarian choices are often deep fried.  One can only eat so many sandwiches.

Back