• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brihard said:
That notwithstanding, I don't believe there's legal grounds for that pension to be revoked. It's not like she was aware of what he was up to; she's got a very justifiable claim to some portion of the pension.

Exactly.  Didn't say that she wasn't, only that she is in a good position to go it alone if she had to.

jollyjacktar said:
Is there not a civil suit in the works or current against Williams from some of his victims famlies?  If so and successfully prosecuted, that should take care of any pension funds that he might expect to earn for the rest of his days.

Are Canadian pensions protected from civil suits?
Although American justice, I read that O.J. Simpson's NFL pension ( reportedly about $400,000 per year ) and his home were protected from a lawsuit by the families.

"Simpson has failed to pay the $33.5 million US judgment against him in the civil case and has wrangled in the courts for years with the victims' families. His NFL pension and Florida home are exempt from the judgment.":
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2006/11/21/oj-hush-money.html

mariomike said:
Are Canadian pensions protected from civil suits?
Although American justice, I read that O.J. Simpson's NFL pension and his home were protected from a lawsuit by the families.

About two months ago the National Post had an article about a guy (civilian, not military) who owed back taxes to the CRA and the CRA in an attempt recover said taxes was trying to garnish his pension. According to the correspondent, who was a tax expert, the only people who can go after your pension is the taxman. And that could change as the guy was fighting in court saying the CRA could not touch his pension.

Brihard said:
...... she's got a very justifiable claim to some portion of the pension.
Based on what?

First off, I'm not a tax, pension, or divorce expert (although my pension survived my divorce), but why would she be entitled to any of it?

The situation where we consistently see divorced woman getting a chunk of the pension is when she claims to have given up her promising career working the checkout at Walmart, which clearly was setting her up for the CEO job had she not quit to raise children.

That's not the case here; she has her own stand-alone career.

Non-lawyer me doesn't think she has a valid claim to any of his pension, although, as noted, it's certainly not my area of expertise.

Retired AF Guy said:
About two months ago the National Post had an article about a guy (civilian, not military) who owed back taxes to the CRA and the CRA in an attempt recover said taxes was trying to garnish his pension. According to the correspondent, who was a tax expert, the only people who can go after your pension is the taxman. And that could change as the guy was fighting in court saying the CRA could not touch his pension.

"In my column last week on seniors and bankruptcy, an insolvency expert commented that it was almost impossible for creditors to garnishee pensions. That may be true of creditors in the private sector, but not when it comes to the taxman.":
http://www.nationalpost.com/Government+gives+with+hand+garnishees+with+other/3411962/story.html

Journeyman said:
Based on what?

First off, I'm not a tax, pension, or divorce expert (although my pension survived my divorce), but why would she be entitled to any of it?

The situation where we consistently see divorced woman getting a chunk of the pension is when she claims to have given up her promising career working the checkout at Walmart, which clearly was setting her up for the CEO job had she not quit to raise children.

That's not the case here; she has her own stand-alone career.

Non-lawyer me doesn't think she has a valid claim to any of his pension, although, as noted, it's certainly not my area of expertise.

Assets acquired during the course of the marriage are considered joint assets - so half her pension for the time they were marreid is his, and half his fro mthe same period is hers.  Sometimes such things cancel out, or an agreement is reached.

I suspect ( though have not seen the documents) that the agreement that put the Tweed house in his name and the Ottawa home in hers also dissolved any claims between them for pensions or other assets - the intent was to provide a clean break between them with a minimum of work required.  He will be tied up in civili litigation for quite some time - probably not fighting claims, but consolidating them, and providing an accounting of assets to be divided.

Interesting points all round -- but can anyone answer my real question -- is it in fact a requirement of our CF pensions that one must be honourably released in order to collect?

Any one?  Any one?  Pers admin types?  Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Cheers

Wolseleydog said:
Interesting points all round -- but can anyone answer my real question -- is it in fact a requirement of our CF pensions that one must be honourably released in order to collect?

Any one?  Any one?  Pers admin types?  Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Cheers

The Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (R.S., 1985, c. C-17) does not appear to have any requirements that a person be discharged honourably, only that they were a contributor to the pension plan.

Eligibility for Benefits

4.  (1) Subject to this Act, an annuity or other benefit specified in this Act shall be paid to or in respect of every person who, being required to contribute to the Superannuation Account or the Canadian Forces Pension Fund in accordance with this Act, ceases to be a member of the regular force or dies, and that annuity or other benefit shall, subject to this Act, be based on the number of years of pensionable service to the credit of that person.

Journeyman said:
Based on what?

I'm not too sure about this but, one or the other of the partys' concerned, or both, have to ask for the division
of related pensions through the courts.
If it is not asked for, then the split of pension for time together is overlooked or maybe not even considered.
But I'm not an expert either.

According to the article she should be quite able to cope financially.
But I am wondering, It must be real disturbing
for her,
and the many victims and their families also.

The latest :

BELLEVILLE, Ont. — As more details of a disturbing and lurid tale of sexual depravity and murder came to light Monday at a hearing for Col. Russell Williams, the Canadian Forces confirmed the once rising officer is to be stripped of his rank and service decorations when he is formally convicted — expected later this week.

"This will be completed as quickly as possible," Gen. Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff, said in a news release.

Read more: Russell Williams

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

"the Canadian Forces confirmed the once rising officer is to be stripped of his rank and service decorations when he is formally convicted — expected later this week."

Reminds me of the quote: ‘The King feels so strongly that, no matter the crime committed by anyone on whom the VC has been conferred, the decoration should not be forfeited. Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder, he should be allowed to wear his VC on the scaffold’.
http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/exhibitions/vc/page3.shtml

jollyjacktar said:
Is there not a civil suit in the works or current against Williams from some of his victims famlies?  If so and successfully prosecuted, that should take care of any pension funds that he might expect to earn for the rest of his days.

I agree.

Let him keep getting his pension, so that his victims can have restitution, when they sue him for the pain they have suffered.

Taking that away won't hurt him one bit, he is in the hoosegow, now.

dileas

tess

krustyrl said:
Not to de-rail this thread but yes he wears blue but I know that in my 26 year career, I've had the  "we are all soldiers first and foremost before airmen/ sailors"  brought to my attention at every opportune time.

True...one can easily play the same card in the "army" rape cases at Petawawa recently if you happen to be of a different element. On a separate note, here is one of RW's nasty pictures in the media

IMAGE MIGHT BE DISTURBING:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...f-assault?bn=1

Victim ‘disgusted’ by Williams’ actions
'I was shocked that all that could happen in my house'
By DOUG HEMPSTEAD, QMI Agency

OTTAWA — Police came to see Brenda Constantine recently to warn her — she was going to hear about some awful things that happened in her daughter's bedroom.

She, her husband Brian, and their three teenage kids live within sight of the back-side window of Russell Williams' former home in the Fallingbrook neighbourhood of Orleans.

He would have been able to see when they were home, and when they were not. Two Christmas' ago, they were not.

Break-ins occurred at the family home on Dec. 31, 2008 and Jan. 1, 2009.

Police told Constantine it was Williams — one of more than 80 break-ins in this city and the Belleville area, he pleaded guilty to Monday in Belleville.

But they didn't know that at the time.

They did know, however, their 15-year-old daughter's underwear drawer had been cleaned out, along with some photos of her and other articles of clothing. The grim omen of what they were to learn came when police told Constantine they were able to get a DNA sample from her underwear drawer.

"It's disgusting," said Constantine.

Police told her they have photographic evidence of what Williams got up to in their daughter's bedroom -- which they discovered among similar items and after raiding his new home in Westboro in February 2010.

"They told us that while he was in her bedroom, he took photos of himself naked, photos of his penis, photos of himself wearing my daughter's clothes — her underwear, lying in her bed, using her make-up brushes, things like that," said Constantine.

"It's disgusting, it brought the whole thing back again for me. I was shocked that all that could happen in my house."

The bed is gone and her daughter didn't sleep in her room for three months.

But, right after the break-in — and still not knowing the full story — the family decided to beef up security.

They had an alarm system installed the next day, a security audit, bars were added to the basement windows, they enrolled in personal safety courses and for six months their daughter was never left alone.

Her daughter is 17 now and didn't know Monday was the day Williams was set to enter pleas to a slew of charges against him — two first-degree murder raps among them.

She chooses not to watch the news, read papers or follow the story in any way.

As bits and pieces of the Williams' allegations reached her in recent weeks, Constantine said her daughter began to get panic attacks.

"We will move on, the new details have hit. It's like getting hit all over again, but we will move on."

[grizzled]
P.S. - I'll save the hi-jack for another thread.  I've never bought into that line... It's a nice way for bean counters to fool themselves about how big the services really are (We have 67,756 in uniform).  Unification tried to do away with it,  But all it did was force people to come up with new vague terms to try and distinguish their role (I'm a hard sea trade, I'm a Purple trade, I'm in the Combat Arms) for simple jobs...
To paraphrase George Carlin - Bullshit : Your a sailor / in the Air Force / In the Army, plain and simple.
[/grizzled]

Williams criminal activity escalated in '09
By LUKE HENDRY, QMI Agency
Last Updated: October 18, 2010 7:40pm
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2010/10/18/15738801.html
BELLEVILLE, Ont. - Col. Russell Williams was already a seasoned break-in artist, but something changed in the summer of 2009.

It was then, Crown attorneys say, that he took a “very disturbing” first step toward violent crimes.

Prosecutors, led by Hastings County Crown attorney Lee Burgess, began presenting their case against Williams Monday in Belleville's Ontario Superior Court of Justice.

They showed Williams' string of crimes began Sept. 9, 2007, with a break-in at a Tweed, Ont.-area residence and ended early this year with the murder of Belleville's Jessica Lloyd.

But in the summer of 2009, prosecutors said, something changed.

On June 19, Williams entered an Ottawa home, stole 186 garments and wrote a letter to the teenage victim. In it, he posed as a teen boy, using slang and saying he hoped to meet her.

“I know all about you,” Williams wrote, along with several other graphic lines.

It did not appear the letter was ever left for the girl to find, prosecutors said.

Regional Crown Robert Morrison and Hastings County assistant Crown Joe Dart said Williams was by then growing bolder.

They cited as further proof the case of another break-in, this time on Charles Court in Tweed on Friday, July 10, 2009. It resulted in the 62nd of the 88 total charges to which Williams pleaded guilty on Monday.

Dart said Williams stood in the backyard of a home for more than a half-hour. From the treeline, he watched as a female occupant of the home headed into the shower.

“He then stripped down” and, while naked, broke into the home. Williams stole a pair of the victim's underwear before fleeing, then recorded his actions in his notes, Dart said.

It was his sixth of nine visits to the property.

That Monday, he was interviewed at CFB Trenton by The Belleville Intelligencer. On July 15 he would replace Col. Mike Hood as wing commander of Canada's largest air force base.

He arrived as the base was in the midst of an estimated $800-million major infrastructure investment.

"It's very exciting," Williams said that Monday. "I've watched a number of these projects from a distance and I'm looking forward to being much more closely involved."

But Dart said Williams was privately fuelled by something else.

On Feb. 7, 2010, Williams discussed the Charles Court theft and many other cases with Det.-Sgt. Jim Smith, a behavioural analyst with the Ontario Provincial Police.

“Mr. Williams agreed, with Det.-Sgt. Smith's suggestion, that ... his behaviour had escalated,” said Dart. “He wanted to take more risks.”

Fellow prosecutor Morrison had earlier deemed the case to be a "very disturbing event -- (which) represented a serious escalation in his behaviour and perhaps foreshadowed ... the murders and sexual assaults" that began later that year.

Williams attacked one Tweed woman in her home Sept. 17, 2009, and another Sept. 30.

Cpl. Marie-France Comeau was found dead in her home Nov. 25. Jessica Lloyd's body was found outside Tweed Feb. 8.

Accused colonel told interrogators he was distressed by death of his cat
Greg McArthur
From Monday's Globe and Mail
Last updated Monday, Oct. 18, 2010 12:34PM EDT

It was on Feb. 7, at some point during his nine-hour interrogation by the Ontario Provincial Police, that Colonel Russell Williams finally got around to addressing that which had been haunting him.

At the time, he had murdered two young women by suffocation, beaten and tied up two of his neighbours before photographing them naked, and stolen about 500 items of lingerie and clothing from the closets of unsuspecting women. But one of the things that had been most distressing for him, he confided to his interrogator, Detective Sergeant Jim Smith, was the death of his old black and white cat, Curio.

“The only thing he expressed regret about was his cat. He mentions it on two or three occasions,” said a source close to the investigation who has reviewed Col. William’s detailed statement to police.

This week, when Col. Williams stands in a Belleville, Ont., courtroom and pleads guilty more than 80 times, his many victims have said they hope to find an inkling of an explanation in the horrifying spectacle. But according to several sources, the only two possible hints the former air base commander has ever let slip about why he went on his after-dark, misogynistic rampages – the passing of his cat and his chronic joint pain – will leave everyone wanting.

Perhaps the most flabbergasting of those hints, investigators say, is the euthanizing of Curio, an 18-year-old indoor cat that had been with the officer and his wife, Mary-Elizabeth Harriman, since it was a kitten. The couple acquired Curio – the word means an unusual, and often fascinating, object of art – in the early 1990s, when Col. Williams was stationed in Portage La Prairie, Man., training up-and-coming pilots.

The few people who were close with Col. Williams have said Curio’s death, which took place around the 2008 Christmas holidays, had a profound and visible impact. When police raided his two homes, they not only uncovered a neatly catalogued trove of women’s underwear and videotapes of the slayings, but hundreds of digital photos of the cat in a variety of poses and backdrops. An image of the animal served as the wallpaper on the colonel’s BlackBerry. Neighbours at his former home in the Ottawa suburb of Orleans, as well as neighbours at the couple’s cottage in the village of Tweed, recalled the decorated officer being near tears when he told them about Curio’s passing.

Sources close to the investigation scoff at the idea that the cat was a possible trigger – and not merely because it sounds so absurd, but more so because it can’t be squared with the chronology of Col. William’s dark descent; Curio’s death took place more than a year after Col. Williams began his string of lingerie thefts.

Col. Williams also revealed to police in the interrogation that he suffered from chronic pain, a condition that his co-workers and old friends have returned to time and time again when they’ve been asked by reporters about any changes they observed. Jeff Farquhar, Col. Williams’ former university roommate and one of his few close friends, said he couldn’t help but notice about eight prescription bottles on the officer’s bathroom counter during a visit to the cottage in the summer of 2009.

“I got the impression that some of it was painkillers, but there were many different labels. I wasn’t snooping and I didn’t examine the labels,” Mr. Farquhar said. Other associates, such as Paul Ferguson, the program director at Belleville country music radio station Cool 100, recalled that at the annual wing commander’s golf tournament in 2009, Col. Williams, an avid golfer, couldn’t use a driver because he said it would ruin his back.

Police say they have no knowledge of Col. Williams seeking psychiatric treatment or reports of mental illness, though his associates over the years have certainly offered their own informal diagnosis. At the University of Toronto’s Scarborough campus residence, he was known for demanding cleanliness, and he was repeatedly bugged about his obsessive compulsive-type behaviour. He accounted for every penny he spent by writing it down on a clipboard he kept in his room, and assigned cleaning tasks for everyone in his four-bedroom residence. His hyper-attention to order escalated in later years, and it was impossible for him to walk away from a fingerprint on his stainless steel fridge without wiping it off. He was an avid photographer, and he stored and categorized all of his digital photos in his office on individual memory keys, with each key assigned to its own cardboard box and clear plastic baggy.

“It was like you had walked into somebody’s museum. Everything was painstakingly organized,” Mr. Farquhar said.

“The only thing he expressed regret about was his cat. He mentions it on two or three occasions,” said a source close to the investigation

WTF?  I suppose he doesn't like Monday's either? 
It does sound absurd, but then again they did say that his violence and behavior took a sharp upswing in 2009.  Kitty bought it at Christmas 2008. 

And still no mention of a dangerous offender status for him? 

zipperhead_cop said:
WTF?  I suppose he doesn't like Monday's either? 
It does sound absurd, but then again they did say that his violence and behavior took a sharp upswing in 2009.  Kitty bought it at Christmas 2008. 

And still no mention of a dangerous offender status for him?

No kidding.....

This creature should never see the outside of a prison wall for the rest of his natural life....

I'd prefer other methods of punishment... but in their absence, that would suffice...

As an insight, serial offenders typically feel more distress about their pets than humans. He's been doing this a while.

Check his childhood......fires, bedwetting, torturing animals. I bet there's someone who know's something.

krustyrl said:
...as this unfolds it is becoming more macabre.    :rage:

Just like when Buffalo Bill is losing his mind because the girl in the pit has his dog (SOTL reference)

Wonder if there are any pics of Williams doing a tuck and cross in the mirror?  :-X

"Would you salute me? I'd salute me!" 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back