• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RPAS (was JUSTAS): the project to buy armed Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs

But on that spectrum of capabilities when does the operator switch from a Corporal to a Captain?
There are different classes of UAS: Nano, micro, small, Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE), High Altitude Long Endurance (HALE), etc.

Historically, the switch is between the Small UAS (like Scan Eagle) and MALE (like Reaper).

@dimsum @SeaKingTacco @markppcli I'll do this as a brief omnibus reply.

RPAS pilots is not my hobby horse but getting rid of the need for unnecessary training and education and rank structures is.

I'm cognisant of the fact that in the US the USAF and the US Army have split the flying profession so that each operates in the realm appropriate for it. I also know that the US Army's WO aviation pilot training program isn't simple - it takes some 12-18 months. It is not second rate training at all. What I'm saying is that flying an RPAS does certainly require extensive training, even for a WO, but not of the same nature or intensity as training a fighter pilot, a multi-engine pilot or even a helicopter pilot. The absence of people in the aircraft makes a difference albeit I agree that it may, in some circumstances, require handling it in non segregated airspace. For those pilots, regardless of rank, whatever qualification is required by international regulations should apply. That, however, doesn't mean every UAV pilot needs to be trained to that standard because we will need many pilots who will be operating in situations where it doesn't. The RCAF successfully advocated very hard to augmenting/replacing the NCM aircrew for Sperwer and later Heron in Afghanistan. What happens once we start ramping up UAV usage. How would we handle Bayraktars or their many equivalents? There are numerous classes of UCAVs out there now, some heavy, some light, they all need "piloting." At this point the crossover to army NCM pilots comes at the Blackjack which is rated a SUAV.

Let me be clear here. I know what RPAS is basically being considered for. I see a future far beyond RPAS with large numbers of lighter systems yet still in the TUAV and up range. Hopefully the CAF is seeing that too. We need to develop a multi-tiered approach on how to deal with those varying situations including how to use RPAS in sustained combat operations. If that includes having separate control teams for flying in non segregated airspace doing routine peacetime surveillance and other teams for flying in restricted combat zones then so be it. If these latter teams are not able to operate in non segregated airspace the way the US ones are now than so be it. My point simply is that I don't want to save commissioned officer pilots jobs. I want to see an easily maintained overarching UAV system that is capable of meeting combat requirements not merely peace time ones. Our current aircrew training system appears to have troubles meeting our peacetime needs. As we transition to less expensive UAV aircraft we ought to be obtaining more of them. If we continue to rely on the same pilot production system as now, we will simply not have enough aircrew to handle the load.

@markppcli - take a look at any flight tracker program and look at the airspace over Ukraine. It's empty of commercial traffic. As should be the airspace over any country having a conflict. We add military airspace coordination to all of those and can restrict space as needed. Hitler has nothing to do with this. It's a simple observation of fact. Ukraine lessons matter.

🍻
Well, I suppose you are the expert, so I will defer to you.

Spectrum of capabilities?

View attachment 80366View attachment 80367View attachment 80368View attachment 80369View attachment 80370

View attachment 80371View attachment 80372View attachment 80373

View attachment 80374View attachment 80375

Black Hornet, DefendTex 40, Mavic 3, Malloy T650, V-Bat, AeroVironment Family, Watchkeeper, Gray Eagle, Sky Guardian, PHASA 35 (High Altitude Pseudo Satellite).

I get the need for a "Red Tape" Manager - AKA an Air Space Co-Ordinator - even for Corporals with Grenade Launchers.
I get the need for a proper pilot when sharing the skies with me and my family on my way to visit the relatives.

But on that spectrum of capabilities when does the operator switch from a Corporal to a Captain?

PS - this list is far from comprehensive and doesn't include HIMARS, NSMs, Heros or Kratos type UCAV/Drones. But the question still stands.
There’s a pretty well established classification system for UAVs. @dimsum provides an example of it. Suffice to say that an RQ-11 is obviously being handled differently that an MQ-9B.
What I'm saying is that flying an RPAS does certainly require extensive training, even for a WO, but not of the same nature or intensity as training a fighter pilot, a multi-engine pilot or even a helicopter pilot. The absence of people in the aircraft makes a difference albeit I agree that it may, in some circumstances, require handling it in non segregated airspace. For those pilots, regardless of rank, whatever qualification is required by international regulations should apply.

So the MQ-9 conducting surveillance and transiting to and from a conflict zone then? Gotcha.

That, however, doesn't mean every UAV pilot needs to be trained to that standard because we will need many pilots who will be operating in situations where it doesn't. The RCAF successfully advocated very hard to augmenting/replacing the NCM aircrew for Sperwer and later Heron in Afghanistan. What happens once we start ramping up UAV usage. How would we handle Bayraktars or their many equivalents? There are numerous classes of UCAVs out there now, some heavy, some light, they all need "piloting." At this point the crossover to army NCM pilots comes at the Blackjack which is rated a SUAV.

Different UAVs doing different jobs fall under difference classifications. Are you assuming that some one here is advocating for pilot flying black jacks or raven bs? I don’t think that’s the case.

Let me be clear here. I know what RPAS is basically being considered for. I see a future far beyond RPAS with large numbers of lighter systems yet still in the TUAV and up range. Hopefully the CAF is seeing that too. We need to develop a multi-tiered approach on how to deal with those varying situations including how to use RPAS in sustained combat operations. If that includes having separate control teams for flying in non segregated airspace doing routine peacetime surveillance and other teams for flying in restricted combat zones then so be it. If these latter teams are not able to operate in non segregated airspace the way the US ones are now than so be it. My point simply is that I don't want to save commissioned officer pilots jobs. I want to see an easily maintained overarching UAV system that is capable of meeting combat requirements not merely peace time ones. Our current aircrew training system appears to have troubles meeting our peacetime needs. As we transition to less expensive UAV aircraft we ought to be obtaining more of them. If we continue to rely on the same pilot production system as now, we will simply not have enough aircrew to handle the load.

@markppcli - take a look at any flight tracker program and look at the airspace over Ukraine. It's empty of commercial traffic. As should be the airspace over any country having a conflict. We add military airspace coordination to all of those and can restrict space as needed. Hitler has nothing to do with this. It's a simple observation of fact. Ukraine lessons matter.

🍻
Ukraine lessons matter but I’ll point out that there are a ton of MQ9s flying in the airspace all around Ukraine. Mixed use. Not all conflict zones are cut off from commercial air: Afghanistan wasn’t, Iraq isn’t, and we flew missions over Libya from Italy. Our experiences also matter.

Different UAVs doing different jobs fall under difference classifications. Are you assuming that some one here is advocating for pilot flying black jacks or raven bs? I don’t think that’s the case.
No. I'm no saying that at all.

Just a quick point on the classifications. @dimsum kind of touched on the point - and he's correct. My recollection of Canadian UAV classification was in order Micro, Mini, Small, Tactical, MALE and HALE based generally on altitude capability. For Canada mini included Skylark, small included Blackjack and tactical included Sperwer and the leased Heron crossed into MALE. We had no MALE of our own but were working on it. There are different ways of describing those classes (I think the USAF uses 5 groups)

Pre-Afghanistan the RCAF relegated tactical to the army and MALE and HALE as theirs but when the artillery acquired Sperwer as an army-level TUAV operated by NCMs the RCAF suddenly claimed the need to insert flight crew in the control centres. That stayed for Heron but Skylark and later Blackjack were left to the army.

The interesting thing is that MQ-1 Predators and Grey Eagles which are (to the best of my knowledge classified as MALE) are operated by the US Army by WOs/NCMs.

The MQ-9 Reaper/Sky Guardian is a heavier, larger and more capable aircraft which (again to the best of my knowledge) crosses into the HALE category and operated by the USAF.

What I'm saying and all that I'm saying is that there is a major gap between higher capability MQ-9 HALEs and low end SUAVs that need to be sorted out because IMHO it is an area ripe for massive expansion. A Blackjack can't scale up to do a TUAVs job. An MQ-9 can scale down and do an MQ-1s job if no MQ-1 is available.

There is a need for many more low end MALEs and TUAVs which will require operators and I do not believe that the RCAF, as presently oriented, has the ability to train and supply those operators in the quantities needed. Just as importantly I do not see any particular appetite for the RCAF to move beyond RPAS in filling those heavier UAV needs that the army has. You know better than I as to how interested the RCAF is these days at filling the CAS niche. Throughout Afghanistan that role was filled by other people's aircraft. The number of aircraft in the F-35 purchase means that they will barely be able to fulfil the NORAD missions.

But then I have no expertise in these matters. Just a curiosity of where we are plodding to.

;)

Just a quick point on the classifications. @dimsum kind of touched on the point - and he's correct. My recollection of Canadian UAV classification was in order Micro, Mini, Small, Tactical, MALE and HALE based generally on altitude capability. For Canada mini included Skylark, small included Blackjack and tactical included Sperwer and the leased Heron crossed into MALE. We had no MALE of our own but were working on it. There are different ways of describing those classes (I think the USAF uses 5 groups)

Pre-Afghanistan the RCAF relegated tactical to the army and MALE and HALE as theirs but when the artillery acquired Sperwer as an army-level TUAV operated by NCMs the RCAF suddenly claimed the need to insert flight crew in the control centres. That stayed for Heron but Skylark and later Blackjack were left to the army.

The interesting thing is that MQ-1 Predators and Grey Eagles which are (to the best of my knowledge classified as MALE) are operated by the US Army by WOs/NCMs.

The MQ-9 Reaper/Sky Guardian is a heavier, larger and more capable aircraft which (again to the best of my knowledge) crosses into the HALE category and operated by the USAF.

What I'm saying and all that I'm saying is that there is a major gap between higher capability MQ-9 HALEs and low end SUAVs that need to be sorted out because IMHO it is an area ripe for massive expansion. A Blackjack can't scale up to do a TUAVs job. An MQ-9 can scale down and do an MQ-1s job if no MQ-1 is available.

There is a need for many more low end MALEs and TUAVs which will require operators and I do not believe that the RCAF, as presently oriented, has the ability to train and supply those operators in the quantities needed. Just as importantly I do not see any particular appetite for the RCAF to move beyond RPAS in filling those heavier UAV needs that the army has. You know better than I as to how interested the RCAF is these days at filling the CAS niche. Throughout Afghanistan that role was filled by other people's aircraft. The number of aircraft in the F-35 purchase means that they will barely be able to fulfil the NORAD missions.

But then I have no expertise in these matters. Just a curiosity of where we are plodding to.

;)
I think this is where the problem lies. You're envisioning a future where there are hundreds of UAVs of the sub-HALE size that will need to be deployed in a conflict zone while others are looking at who will be flying the 8-10(?) MQ-9s that will be procured under the RPAS program.

WO pilots make zero sense if we're only looking at RPAS. The number of platforms we're looking at is so small and the times that they will be operating in non-segregated airspace so minimal that creating an entire new classification of technical Warrant Officers is ridiculous.

However, if you're expecting to be operating hundreds of UAVs above the quadcopter/FPV UAV level that require "pilots" (as opposed to "operators") then creating a stream of non-commisioned/non-university educated personnel to fly them begins to make sense as clearly our current commissioned/university educated production stream doesn't have the output required.

Unfortunately while you are concerned about being able to produce enough pilots to operate this large fleet of UAVs my concern is that there doesn't seem to be a push to create the large fleet of UAVs for them to operate.

;)
I think you're missing the larger point... Empires need to be maintained.

Capability be damned, we need the processes to be followed, lest the empire be challenged.

There are different classes of UAS: Nano, micro, small, Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE), High Altitude Long Endurance (HALE), etc.

Historically, the switch is between the Small UAS (like Scan Eagle) and MALE (like Reaper).

Can someone start their career on a micro uav and move up the scale to larger units? Is there, or could there be a common controller for all vehicles, up to a particular size. Like an RC or PS control pad?

It would seem to me then that the micro systems would then act like a sub-calibre training round. Potentially ally the controller to a PC for a simple simulator?

1696137199615.png

1696137304928.png

1696137476284.png

1696137681730.png

Somewhere between these and the HERO LAMs and the Brimstones there has to be an Arty friendly solution.

But with birds like the Scan Eagle weighing 40 lbs (Group 2 Medium) but being able to park itself in the 15-20,000 foot band (Group 3) for 24 hours aren't things still a bit fuzzy?

1696137936983.png

Where does the V-Bat fit into the scheme of things? 125 lbs is just barely into Group 3 turf but can loiter for 8 hours at 15,000 ft so clearly Group 3.

Reaper seems to hit 10,000 lbs and 50,000 ft so that is well into the Group 5 range.

Canadian Coast Guard Conducts Sea Trials of V-BAT UAS - Seapower

The gap between 55 lbs and >1320 lbs seems to leave an awful lot of midrange solutions on the table.
Equally 18,000' MSL seems pretty far up there. I'm pretty sure that most of my running around Alaska in Floats and Geese was below those levels.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have fancied running into a swarm of Scan Eagles in Nick's Goose.

Can someone start their career on a micro uav and move up the scale to larger units? Is there, or could there be a common controller for all vehicles, up to a particular size. Like an RC or PS control pad?

It would seem to me then that the micro systems would then act like a sub-calibre training round. Potentially ally the controller to a PC for a simple simulator?

View attachment 80377

View attachment 80378

View attachment 80379

View attachment 80380

Somewhere between these and the HERO LAMs and the Brimstones there has to be an Arty friendly solution.

But with birds like the Scan Eagle weighing 40 lbs (Group 2 Medium) but being able to park itself in the 15-20,000 foot band (Group 3) for 24 hours aren't things still a bit fuzzy?

View attachment 80381

Where does the V-Bat fit into the scheme of things? 125 lbs is just barely into Group 3 turf but can loiter for 8 hours at 15,000 ft so clearly Group 3.

Reaper seems to hit 10,000 lbs and 50,000 ft so that is well into the Group 5 range.

Canadian Coast Guard Conducts Sea Trials of V-BAT UAS - Seapower

The gap between 55 lbs and >1320 lbs seems to leave an awful lot of midrange solutions on the table.
Equally 18,000' MSL seems pretty far up there. I'm pretty sure that most of my running around Alaska in Floats and Geese was below those levels.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have fancied running into a swarm of Scan Eagles in Nick's Goose.
Unpossible!

Solutions that involve anything short of the current solution are blasphemy... The empires must be preserved.

Unpossible!

Solutions that involve anything short of the current solution are blasphemy... The empires must be preserved.
That’s not the case. If it is, then the UAS currently used by the Army, Navy, and SOF would be operated by RCAF folks. They’re not, and ironically, at this time, the RCAF is the only element without some sort of UAS.

The bigger reason, and probably the real reason alluded by @FJAG why the RCAF started putting pilots in place of the Arty’s NCMs in Sperwer and Heron, was that the higher that those things flew, they were starting to mix with stuff like fast air, etc even in a segregated environment. The Pilots needed an understanding of airspace limitations and procedures - I’m sure that could have been taught to the Arty NCMs too but maybe it was due to lack of time or the fact that Pilots already were taught those things, I don’t know. It may have also been a requirement from higher in the Coalition. I also don’t know if it was due to Flight Safety incidents, but could (relatively) easily look it up. But, by my understanding, the Sperwer was a Flight Safety Incident at the best of times :ROFLMAO:

Another thing that people here (and presumably elsewhere) are getting mixed up is that UAS is one “thing” rather than a whole class of things. RPAS is one subset of UAS. It’s like trying to categorize all aircraft from paper airplane to Space Shuttle under the grouping “airplane” and trying to have a common training and operating system for it all. You don’t train people flying a Cessna 172 the same process as flying an F-35, or expect that the C-172 trained person can fly an Airbus A330 quickly because “you can just put it on autopilot”.

This RPAS project is looking at the MQ-9B as a contender but with the way the industry is going, it will just be the first of several projects. It should have been called something like “RPAS 1” to show that the RCAF isn’t just buying one fleet of UAS and forgetting about the whole category of aircraft.

@Kirkhill - As for how one could “scale up” in operating UAS, it would be more a question to industry if they want to have a common controller. That may work for micro and possibly SUAS, but there is a reason why MALE and HALE control stations look like The Matrix with half a dozen computer screens, keyboards, etc. Now, you could say that it was to mimic manned aircraft since the first operators were pilots, but many MALE / HALE are flown using a keyboard and mouse anyway - no RC controller used.

But, as others have said here, international and domestic regulations require certain qualifications to fly in certain airspace. The way you’re suggesting, the member would first, for example, be working with an inf section on the ground as a micro, then SUAS / TUAS (not sure TUAS is still a valid term) operator since they would presumably all work in restricted areas. But then, they would need to be winged pilots to legally fly MALE and HALE. So, to me at least, there is a “natural split” where a new trade such as “UAS Pilot” could be SUAS, or MALE / HALE. Micro and stuff like that could be (and prob should be) something taught to select Combat Arms folks.

…and that’s not even getting into the other crew positions for MALE / HALE, or even SUAS. Or even how the “aircrew” requirements will affect SUAS operators, such as legally required crew rest. There’s a lot more than just flying the thing, but that’s enough of a rant from me this Sunday morning.

Last edited:
The bigger reason, and probably the real reason alluded by @FJAG why the RCAF started putting pilots in place of the Arty’s NCMs in Sperwer and Heron, was that the higher that those things flew, they were starting to mix with stuff like fast air, etc even in a segregated environment. The Pilots needed an understanding of airspace limitations and procedures - I’m sure that could have been taught to the Arty NCMs too but maybe it was due to lack of time or the fact that Pilots already were taught those things, I don’t know. It may have also been a requirement from higher in the Coalition. I also don’t know if it was due to Flight Safety incidents, but could (relatively) easily look it up. But, by my understanding, the Sperwer was a Flight Safety Incident at the best of times :ROFLMAO:
It was a complex situation. But in brief, all the gunners initially involved with Sperwer went through a civilian run flight school in Pembroke for roughly three months which taught them everything right up to and just short of them being certified as civilian pilots. They then went to France for several months and were taught how to operate the Sperwer by its manufacturer. It was in between these two stages that the RCAF woke up to the fact that the artillery was acquiring an "aircraft" through the UOR process and raised an issue about air worthiness certification and added two pilots and two navigators to the troop. (Some maint pers were also added and there was a further issue about a G3 UAV being dropped into the bde HQ)

At first the idea was to replace the mission commanders in the control centre but that was eventually changed so that the control centre would have gunner mission commanders, aircraft operators and payload specialists while the pilot/navigator occupied a fourth seat in the control centre to oversee air worthiness issues. That was for Kabul. During the interlude before Kandahar the concept was changed so that an RCAF flight was stood up which was roughly 50/50 RCAF and others.

The key reason cited by the RCAF at first instance in Kabul was the fact that the Sperwer was a heavy aircraft which flew at a fairly high altitude and that the airspace around Kabul had both civilian air traffic as well as American air traffic neither of which was too cooperative in having the airspace regulated by ISAF. It's hard to argue with that position. The civilian air traffic was less an issue in Kandahar while other military air traffic did exist but once again one should note that the Americans operated US Army predators out of the same area.

My issue has never been that certain aircraft do not need a high level of technical skill and certification to operate. My issue is simply that those skills for various classes of UAVs are not on the same level as required to operate high performance aircraft in the full gamut of missions that they operate at and that a level of tiered capability which puts less strain on the recruiting and training system at the lower level ought to be possible and is desirable.

🍻

Look at the range of current civilian UAVs, commercial aircraft, automobiles and military items like ATGMs and I think that answers your question about a common controller. Various models within a type of product all have similar basic functions which is why you see all cars and trucks with a similar layout of steering wheel, pedals, indicators, etc. but you might fumble around looking for the hazard lights, heated seats (if that particular model has them) and the climate controls

The only way to have a single common controller would be if you sole sourced all your UAVs within a given size range to a Crown Corporation mandated to come up with a common controller for all of them...and I think you could guess how that would go.

Another thing that people here (and presumably elsewhere) are getting mixed up is that UAS is one “thing” rather than a whole class of things. RPAS is one subset of UAS. It’s like trying to categorize all aircraft from paper airplane to Space Shuttle under the grouping “airplane” and trying to have a common training and operating system for it all. You don’t train people flying a Cessna 172 the same process as flying an F-35, or expect that the C-172 trained person can fly an Airbus A330 quickly because “you can just put it on autopilot”.

This RPAS project is looking at the MQ-9B as a contender but with the way the industry is going, it will just be the first of several projects. It should have been called something like “RPAS 1” to show that the RCAF isn’t just buying one fleet of UAS and forgetting about the whole category of aircraft.

@Kirkhill - As for how one could “scale up” in operating UAS, it would be more a question to industry if they want to have a common controller. That may work for micro and possibly SUAS, but there is a reason why MALE and HALE control stations look like The Matrix with half a dozen computer screens, keyboards, etc. Now, you could say that it was to mimic manned aircraft since the first operators were pilots, but many MALE / HALE are flown using a keyboard and mouse anyway - no RC controller used.
Further to what @dimsum said, even within a size class of UAV you will have different roles for the aircraft (artillery spotting vs loitering munition for example) which may require different functions/features on the UAV which will necessitate differences in the controllers for each and each might have a very different flight profile (high level ISR vs NOE FPV) which will require different pilot skills.

That being said, of course there could be a progression from one type of UAV to another. Getting used to an F-150 when you're used to driving a Corolla doesn't require re-learning how to drive right from scratch. Pilots follow a similar progression starting with basic flight training on one platform before they stream toward their operational aircraft. They can move to another aircraft type but first they will need to be class certified on it. I imagine it would be very similar for UAVs regardless of what rank the operator is.

1696175663364.png

@dimsum

How do these categories relate to micro, mini, small, medium, tactical, Medium Altitude Long Endurance, High Altitude Long Endurance?

We were getting bigger and heavier and higher as we go up the scale but where do the High Altitude Pseudosatellites like the Zephyr fit in?

Airbus-QinetiQ Zephyr[28]
ModelSpanWeightCeilingEndurancePayload
Zephyr 412 m (39 ft)17 kg (37 lb)9 140 m (30 000 ft)6 h
Zephyr 516 m (52 ft)31 kg (68 lb)11 000 m (36 000 ft)18 h
Zephyr 618 m (59 ft)30 kg (66 lb)18 300 m (60 000 ft)87 h2 kg (4.4 lb)
Zephyr 722,5 m (74 ft)53 kg (117 lb)21 000 m (69 000 ft)336 h5 kg (11 lb)
Zephyr 8/S25 m (82 ft)62-65 kg (137-143 lb)23,200 m (76,100 ft)[16]624 h5 kg (11 lb)
Zephyr T32 m (105 ft)145 kg (320 lb)20 kg (44 lb)

1696176328288.png

I believe it qualifies as a SUAS?

My point is that there seems to any extraordinarily large variety of bodies likely to be sharing the skies. Some piloted, some remotely piloted, some unpiloted. And I completely understand the necessity of a properly qualified pilot to manage the flight of the vehicle, or vehicles (a swarm of autonomous SUASs operating at 70,000 ft?).

But don't things change when bullets and rockets start flying?

I believe 155 mm apogees are on the order of 30,000 ft which means they are flying in Group 5 UAS altitudes.

And

The ATACMS has a top speed of approximately Mach 3, or around 3,700 km/h (2,300 miles per hour). The range of the ATACMS varies depending on the specific variant. The earlier MGM-140A Block I has a range of approximately 160 km (100 miles), while the later MGM-164A Block II has an extended range of up to 300 km (186 miles). During the flight, the ATACMS typically reaches an altitude of approximately 50 to 65 km (30 to 40 miles).

TypeAccuracy
Short-range tactical ballistic missileAround 10 meters or less
Country usersLaunch Weight
United States1,600 to 2,300 kg depending on the specific variant of the missile.
Designer CountrySpeed
United StatesApproximately Mach 3, or around 3,700 km/h
Guidance SystemsRange
GPS/INS160 to 300 km
Launcher VehiclesDimensions
M270 and M142 HIMARS MLRS Length: 5,75 m; Width: 2,49 m; Height: 2.4 m

That would clearly seem to be a Group 5 UAV. :)

It seems reasonable to me that there could be rules for outside the battlespace and rules for inside the battlespace. It also seems reasonable to me to suggest that outside the battlespace the RCAF takes the lead while the RCA leads inside.

The size of the battlespace is largely going to be set by the weapons deployed on the ground, their altitudes and their ranges. But I can understand that becoming problematic if Ground Forces start deploying 500 km PrSMs, 1500 km Tomahawks and SM6s and 3000 km Medium (Intermediate) Range Ballistic Missiles.

At some point all civilian flights are grounded and the entire airspace becomes a free fire zone.

Is it unreasonable to train troops to fly vehicles under the same flight regimes under which gunners fire their guns and launch their rockets?

On the subject of common controllers

I get that some vehicles are going to require different commands. On the other hand HMIs (Human Machine Interfaces) like this one supplied by Rockwell's Allen Bradley have been proving themselves to be pretty versatile for a decade or two now.

1696178230499.png

One controller controls thousands/millions of custom designed factories with dozens/thousands of moving parts and sensors.

The pigtail can plug into a panel, a PC or a transmitter.

If an operator started off with micros and minis and graduated to smalls she could run simulations on her desktop.

The number of RPAS we are getting total, coupled with the # of LOT they will be maxed at once they achieve FOC doesn’t deserve any more bandwidth on “should Pilot WOs be flying them?”.

I’ll wait for the GoC and / or RCAF to release those #s of course; I’ll say no one who attended the briefing I did with a RPAS Proj O was going “wow!” after…at least not in a positive way.

View attachment 80383

@dimsum

How do these categories relate to micro, mini, small, medium, tactical, Medium Altitude Long Endurance, High Altitude Long Endurance?

We were getting bigger and heavier and higher as we go up the scale but where do the High Altitude Pseudosatellites like the Zephyr fit in?

Airbus-QinetiQ Zephyr[28]
ModelSpanWeightCeilingEndurancePayload
Zephyr 412 m (39 ft)17 kg (37 lb)9 140 m (30 000 ft)6 h
Zephyr 516 m (52 ft)31 kg (68 lb)11 000 m (36 000 ft)18 h
Zephyr 618 m (59 ft)30 kg (66 lb)18 300 m (60 000 ft)87 h2 kg (4.4 lb)
Zephyr 722,5 m (74 ft)53 kg (117 lb)21 000 m (69 000 ft)336 h5 kg (11 lb)
Zephyr 8/S25 m (82 ft)62-65 kg (137-143 lb)23,200 m (76,100 ft)[16]624 h5 kg (11 lb)
Zephyr T32 m (105 ft)145 kg (320 lb)20 kg (44 lb)

View attachment 80384

I believe it qualifies as a SUAS?

My point is that there seems to any extraordinarily large variety of bodies likely to be sharing the skies. Some piloted, some remotely piloted, some unpiloted. And I completely understand the necessity of a properly qualified pilot to manage the flight of the vehicle, or vehicles (a swarm of autonomous SUASs operating at 70,000 ft?).

But don't things change when bullets and rockets start flying?

I believe 155 mm apogees are on the order of 30,000 ft which means they are flying in Group 5 UAS altitudes.

And

TypeAccuracy
Short-range tactical ballistic missileAround 10 meters or less
Country usersLaunch Weight
United States1,600 to 2,300 kg depending on the specific variant of the missile.
Designer CountrySpeed
United StatesApproximately Mach 3, or around 3,700 km/h
Guidance SystemsRange
GPS/INS160 to 300 km
Launcher VehiclesDimensions
M270 and M142 HIMARS MLRSLength: 5,75 m; Width: 2,49 m; Height: 2.4 m

That would clearly seem to be a Group 5 UAV. :)

It seems reasonable to me that there could be rules for outside the battlespace and rules for inside the battlespace. It also seems reasonable to me to suggest that outside the battlespace the RCAF takes the lead while the RCA leads inside.

The size of the battlespace is largely going to be set by the weapons deployed on the ground, their altitudes and their ranges. But I can understand that becoming problematic if Ground Forces start deploying 500 km PrSMs, 1500 km Tomahawks and SM6s and 3000 km Medium (Intermediate) Range Ballistic Missiles.

At some point all civilian flights are grounded and the entire airspace becomes a free fire zone.

Is it unreasonable to train troops to fly vehicles under the same flight regimes under which gunners fire their guns and launch their rockets?

On the subject of common controllers

I get that some vehicles are going to require different commands. On the other hand HMIs (Human Machine Interfaces) like this one supplied by Rockwell's Allen Bradley have been proving themselves to be pretty versatile for a decade or two now.

View attachment 80385

One controller controls thousands/millions of custom designed factories with dozens/thousands of moving parts and sensors.

The pigtail can plug into a panel, a PC or a transmitter.

If an operator started off with micros and minis and graduated to smalls she could run simulations on her desktop.
The Zephyr is a HALE bc it flies at high altitude, for long endurance. It is not SUAS bc they don’t fly high or long enough.

I would suggest that altitude and endurance are probably better indicators than weight bc as Zephyr shows, something like can still fly high and long, and something heavy could just be low and/or short endurance.

The chart you refer to is the US DOD one. There is a separate, and somewhat similar, NATO one that focuses more on altitude and endurance.

The number of RPAS we are getting total, coupled with the # of LOT they will be maxed at once they achieve FOC doesn’t deserve any more bandwidth on “should Pilot WOs be flying them?”.

I’ll wait for the GoC and / or RCAF to release those #s of course; I’ll say no one who attended the briefing I did with a RPAS Proj O was going “wow!” after…at least not in a positive way.
I think that it’s too early to tell about how RPAS (in general) will end up doing in the CAF. This is one project now, but I would be willing to bet that there will be others as the capability matures further.

Shield AI’s Hivemind pilot is “the Android operating system with the aircraft manufacturer,” the company’s president Brandon Tseng told Breaking Defense. “We want to work with every OEM [original equipment manufacturer], every aircraft.”​

1697327372647.png

25 lb (11.3 kg) payload
10 hours endurance
90 knots
300 mi range
20,000 ft ceiling

V-Bat is just one possible vehicle apparently but Shield AI has been making friends with them for common marketing.

And apparently the Army hasn't finished with the Switchblade 600 yet. That's the anti-tank version. But that just seems to be the opening bid on an iterative process.

Army acquisition chief Doug Bush said in the future the service's LASSO drone program will see "entry points for other vendors, potentially, because there's so much innovation in that space."​

So, can we split this to a UAS thread and keep the RCAF RPAS project on its own thread?

Back