• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

I don't think I am really supposed to say. All I will say is review your high school math. And being a UNBC student myself, I can say you will love it if that is the option you have to follow. It is an awesome school, and I am partially disappointed to have to say goodbye to the school and the people there. Such a small school that you really get that feeling of belonging.

pudd13 said:
If I do not succeed, I will actively search for a small corner for me to hide in until I die of natural causes.

I'm quite surprised you did not consider G_LOC'ing for a while.

If I don't get an offer as pilot, I'll reapply next year. If I don't make it next year, I'll reapply for DEO in two years...

Well when I was taxiing the other day I briefly G-LOC'ed. Not for me. It was frightening cuz I was trying to press the red button but I couldn't find it!!

Might not be a red button, but I saw it the other day at a Pilot Supply Store....

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/12881

I'm fixing up an old Jeep and I'm going to install it on the dash somewhere (within passenger reach of course).

trampbike said:
If I don't get an offer as pilot, I'll reapply next year. If I don't make it next year, I'll reapply for DEO in two years...

Remember that all entry plans aren't open every year. Last year I was trying to apply DEO for Pilot and they said that entry plan was closed; the only plan open was ROTP.

I've been back and forth the recruiting office and it's amazing how popular the pilot option is. Everytime I go in for an interview or an exam someone's turned down as a pilot. Anyway I got my final exam this friday and have to wait until April to find out if I got in or turned on the suck. Good luck to everyone still!

Jan

pudd13 said:
Well when I was taxiing the other day I briefly G-LOC'ed. Not for me. It was frightening cuz I was trying to press the red button but I couldn't find it!!

Going into that last session of CAPSS I found things starting to go grey as I laughed myself out of an "unacceptable" situation.

This question is not exclusively applicable to ROTP 2011-2012 candidates, but this seems like a place to ask it rather than start a whole new thread.  Anyone know WHY BMOQ is no longer an option prior to your first year of school?  Is it simply to do with timing, what with most recruits for ROTP coming straight out of high school and not having time in between HS graduation and RMC/Civ U start dates to complete BMOQ? 

What if an applicant were coming from either a post-secondary institution or the workforce, and were more flexible in terms of time constraints?  (ie. they didn't have to wait until Grad'ing in June to begin BMOQ)  Would it be possible to begin BMOQ in, say, May, and then begin subsidized education in September?

I'd rather do the entire course than the 2 week recruit camp....

##EDIT: Fixed typo.

I'm sure it would be possible, if they started a BMOQ course in May.

The May BMOQ courses are already filled with ROTP types who have just completed their first year of subsidization. Not to mention it takes a lot of planning and organizing to be placed on course, and from the time you are accepted (around April) until BMOQ starts (May) it would be only one month. It would be chaos to organize that many applicants in such a short time.

Overall, you are going to do BMOQ no matter what so it doesn't really matter when it is.

Dou You said:
The May BMOQ courses are already filled with ROTP types who have just completed their first year of subsidization. Not to mention it takes a lot of planning and organizing to be placed on course, and from the time you are accepted (around April) until BMOQ starts (May) it would be only one month. It would be chaos to organize that many applicants in such a short time.

Overall, you are going to do BMOQ no matter what so it doesn't really matter when it is.

Fair enough, but my question was if anyone knows WHY BMOQ is now AFTER the 1st year of subsidy.  I understand that a few years ago, it happened prior to any subsidization beginning.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

My 2nd question was about possibly doing BMOQ first, instead of doing recruit camp.  I guess, to respond to your last statement, I'm not trying to avoid BMOQ- I'm trying to avoid 2 week recruit camp, in favor of the longer, harder full course...

Anyhow, you did somewhat address my question by referring to the short time-frame between selection and BMOQ beginning.  I guess paperwork/swearing in would all have to happen as well, which further reduces the window of opportunity. 

Also, not all the positions are filled in May. I know one person from Recruit Camp that was called a couple days before being sworn in on July 14th. In addition, if you are going to Civy U you still do the complete BMOQ. Only RMC students have time taken off for their BMOQ.

jwtg said:
Fair enough, but my question was if anyone knows WHY BMOQ is now AFTER the 1st year of subsidy.  I understand that a few years ago, it happened prior to any subsidization beginning.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Formerly the course was done in two parts, IAP and BOTC. IAP was completed prior to the first semester of subsidization and BOTC was completed the following summer. The courses have been merged into one, BMOQ, which is too long for the short time between when high school ends and university starts. Therefore, the course is done during the first summer of subsidization. Yes there are cases where individuals coming from other universities or from a year off are able to do BMOQ in their first summer but the majority of individuals are straight out of high school so BMOQ is conducted in the first summer of subsidization.

jwtg, the two week recruit camp does not replace BMOQ. You still do BMOQ no matter what. As for whether or not its possible to do BMOQ at a different time, that's an interesting question. I am coming out of a university myself, and would likely have time if they could squeeze me in, and I would prefer to get started sooner than later. But at the same time, I would also rather go through BMOQ with all the RMC folk I will have known for two semesters.

RMC_Cadet - Thank you for your answer to my question.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Pudd13 - Thank you for trying to answer my question, but I'm getting the feeling that a few of you aren't understanding what I'm saying.  I WANT to do BMOQ.  I don't want to do recruit camp.  I'm in university and my summer starts earlier than HS summers, so I could theoretically complete BMOQ this summer, prior to beginning subsidization.

I understand that this may or may not be possible, and that's fine by me.  I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience and could therefore let me know what the likelihood is of my wish being granted.  I was also curious as to why BMOQ has been moved to the summer after 1st year, and received the perfect answer: 2 parts of Officer training have been merged, and it's too long to do in one summer between HS grad and 1st year Uni.

Problem solved. 

NEVER did I say I DIDN'T want to do BMOQ, or that recruit camp replaces BMOQ, or anything along those lines.

Please read carefully- I'm pretty sure being able to correctly interpret written information is an important quality for a CF Officer!

##EDIT: Fixed minor grammatical error in order to facilitate aforementioned correct interpretation of written information.

If you read my post you will not find anything that says I thought you didn't want to do BMOQ. I was just making it clear (perhaps because of my appreciation of being able to interpret written information) that everybody does BMOQ no matter the circumstances, and that BMOQ is not meant to replace the recruit camp, nor is the recruit camp meant to replace BMOQ. They are obviously very very distinct things, which wasn't perfectly clear in other posts. That being said, would a person be exempt from the recruit camp if they were able to do BMOQ early, or does a recruit have to both regardless of what order they do them in?

Recruit Camp is basically bits and pieces of BMOQ.  (Lectures, PT, drill, inspection, uniform, written tests, etc.)  Literally everything covered in recruit camp is covered in BMOQ.  If you've done BMOQ, there wouldn't be any reason to go to recruit camp.  HOWEVER, when my buddy did recruit camp he informed me that there were people who had done BMQ (through reserves, etc...) and they still had to do recruit camp, for some reason.  I guess they hadn't done BMOQ, only BMQ, so for whatever reason someone felt recruit camp was necessary for them, as well as BMOQ the following summer.

As I understand it, it's basically a crash course in 'what you really signed up for, so get your *** in shape because PT is harder than high school gym class' for ROTP Civ U students.

I would guess that, if after enrolling in the ROTP, if you somehow get loaded onto a BMOQ course before doing recruit camp, you wouldn't have to do recruit camp.  It's not a requirement for commission, or even a formal requirement for anything...I understand you get a letter saying you did recruit camp on your file...not a formal evaluation or anything that would normally be involved in a formal course...

You're right that Recruit Camp is simply a 'welcome to the military' intro. I was part of the first recruit camp, and friends from the year before me didn't have any exposure to military life until after a full year. They enrolled, went to school then BMOQ the following summer. A friend on one of those courses witnessed a high drop-out rate (of Voluntary Release) because people realized the lifestyle wasn't for them.

I had two guys on my RC that were infantry reservists with two Afghanistan tours. They fought tooth and nail not to be there and were sent home 8 days into the two week course. Not sure how it works now.

I had the same question as you when I was accepted for ROTP last year. I was accepted sometime in April and was asking the recruiting center multiple times if I could go to BMOQ in May because I was already in university and was done at that time.

Their answer was "that's not going to be possible because all the spots have been filled with ROTP people from the year before".
I was a little bumbed out but got to enjoy my last summer of freedom :)

jwtg said:
Recruit Camp is basically bits and pieces of BMOQ.  (Lectures, PT, drill, inspection, uniform, written tests, etc.)  Literally everything covered in recruit camp is covered in BMOQ.  If you've done BMOQ, there wouldn't be any reason to go to recruit camp.  HOWEVER, when my buddy did recruit camp he informed me that there were people who had done BMQ (through reserves, etc...) and they still had to do recruit camp, for some reason.  I guess they hadn't done BMOQ, only BMQ, so for whatever reason someone felt recruit camp was necessary for them, as well as BMOQ the following summer.

As I understand it, it's basically a crash course in 'what you really signed up for, so get your *** in shape because PT is harder than high school gym class' for ROTP Civ U students.

I would guess that, if after enrolling in the ROTP, if you somehow get loaded onto a BMOQ course before doing recruit camp, you wouldn't have to do recruit camp.  It's not a requirement for commission, or even a formal requirement for anything...I understand you get a letter saying you did recruit camp on your file...not a formal evaluation or anything that would normally be involved in a formal course...

mathabos said:
I had the same question as you when I was accepted for ROTP last year. I was accepted sometime in April and was asking the recruiting center multiple times if I could go to BMOQ in May because I was already in university and was done at that time.

Their answer was "that's not going to be possible because all the spots have been filled with ROTP people from the year before".

That is exactly what happened to me. Thank you for backing me up on that one.

All in all just suck it up and do the course even if you don't want to. It's only two weeks and you get to meet a ton of people and it actually is quite fun for the most part.

Heff18 said:
I had two guys on my RC that were infantry reservists with two Afghanistan tours. They fought tooth and nail not to be there and were sent home 8 days into the two week course. Not sure how it works now.

That's just crazy. It's pretty much a slap in their faces to have to attend RC.

CadetRac said:
The last ACS I believe is the week of March 7, and it  has a wait-list a mile long. My Medical file was misplaced so now I'll hopefully hear from them in late March, good luck to those who got on though!

Really?  The CFASC put out their Aircrew Selection calendar for FY 2011/2012 last fall, and IIRC there were over 40 sessions for this year.  They don't just run the Aircrew Selection Center for a few weeks a year, they put applicants through year-round.

Back