• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Role of Officer vs job of NCM [Merged]

• Thread starter Thread starter Argyll 2347
  • Start date Start date
Geez Infanteer, you need to put some more through and detail into your posts ;)

In any case, I think that having new officers serve as Privates first is an excellent idea! While I know many good officers who were never NCMs first, it took them far longer to sort their $hit out than the others who had NCM experience, and especially NCO experience.

Food for thought; you take a 20 year old corporal and give him some leadership training... are you going to throw him in the Pl WO position right away? No, first he's 2IC of a section, hopefully under an experienced MCpl or Sgt, let him teach a basic course as a 2IC, give him a year or two of experience and after a year or two, eventually he gets command of a section.

Now, take the same 20 year old and give him a degree. He (in theory) completes his phase training in under a year and is a 2Lt. What do we do to him? Make him a Platoon Commander. No 2IC position, no one to mentor under, and he's going to make all his mistakes in full view of the Platoon. He's still trying to figure out the soldiering business, let alone being a leader and a commander and will, understandably be still trying to find his feet. Would you make a new private with a year in a section commander? Then why would you make a new officer with a year in a Platoon Commander?

I agree that the whole system would be tedious and costly to implement, but I think the experience would be invaluable. Give the officers time to figure out how to be soldiers. Let them get comfortable with their equipment, weapons, fieldcraft and other basic soldiering skills before you expect them to be in command of a formation. Maybe give them some kind of 2IC position where they can be under someone senior to learn the ropes. Ever had a shiny new 2Lt trying to figure out how to read a map when the troops haven't slept in a day or two? Mistakes will be made; privates do it all the time and it's expected, so why aren't we smart enough to aknowledge that it will happen with officers too? So, let's let them make their mistakes somewhere where it's less visible and less costly to the whole.

Infanteer: You stated:

The percentage of our Army that belong to the Officer Corps is 21%.  I've argued before that this seems excessively high in that we have one leader for every four troops (We could make an entire CMBG out of Commissioned Members).  Perhaps, with the appropriate organizational changes (another discussion....) and a readjustment of this figure, the required annual "uptake" of officers could be supported by the system proposed above.

I have to wonder about the source of your data. Is that for the actual Army MOCs in Army jobs, or for all MOCs and commands across the CF? For example, the RegF Inf is severely short of officers at the Capt level, while the RegF Artillery is in a similar boat (in our Bde they can fill only one of the three Arty FTSO positions, for example). On the Res side, taking our Bde as an example, most of our 16 units have only a fraction of their required number of officers, and officer recruiting/retention is one of our biggest challenges. Taking LFWA as a whole, for another example, out of a strength of roughly around 8-10,000 RegF and Res, I doubt there is any way we have an officer/NCO ratio of anything like what you are quoting.

If you are figuring in NDHQ, I guess you could be closer to the mark, but most people in NDHQ are not employed in "Army" positions and have no direct contact with troops. The Air Force also tends to skew the results, as they have a somewhat higher ratio of officers due to our Canadian requirement that a pilot must be a commissioned officer.

I'm not saying you're totally out to lunch-I'm just wondering what your source is. Cheers.

Others have posted while I was typing, but here are my top 3 good and bad anyway.....

The top three characteristics of a good Officer:   :salute:

1-Leadership (obvious, I think) - A good officer would have the ability to inspire his troops. Obedience to officers is not an optional response for NCMs, but the value of inspired soldiers is immeasurable.

2-Organization - Nothing short of cowardliness or incompetence will kill trust in an officer quicker than a lack of organization. A well organized Officer shows confidence in his own abilities, and breeds confidence in his troops.

3-Respect for troops - Officers must balance this carefully, but showing the troops respect for being the actual fighting element of the Military is essential. Occasionally, an officer will come along that views his troops as lesser beings, and will often receive only the required amount of support and dedication from his troops. The pitfall in this attribute is going too far and trying to be 'One of the Guys'. The Officer that tries to do this is just as bad as the Pompous one.

Negative Characteristics (Sh*t list items):   :threat:

1- Leading tired troops on a patrol that goes nowhere, or worse, gets us lost. Our physical energy is a valuable commodity and should not be wasted needlessly. We have no problem kitting up and heading off on a long tab regardless of fatigue, but get us to the objective.

2- Know your role - don't try and do your job and mine. I know my job better than you, and you yours better than me. Micro-managing is also very annoying.

3- Lack of Drive - Although officers are not the primary fighting element, it does not mean they should bring in their gucci camp cots/chairs/etc while the rest of us are biving it. That trip into town to go to Timmy's on day 3 of the ex you thought went unnoticed, well it didn't. Suffer along with us, eat the same food, dig your own trench (if operationally possible), show some drive, and troops will really work hard for you.

I would like to finish by restating that obedience of troops to officers is not optional. However, the characteristics and actions of each individual officer have a significant impact on how troops view them, and consequently, on how effective the troops are in executing their orders.

Isn't one of the roles of Sr NCO's to train and then guide officers of all levels.

During the training phases are not most instructors Sgts and WO?

You guys are raising some excellent discussion points. Here is some more for you to ponder. I am 34, have a Geological Engineering Degree from Waterloo and am pursuit recruitment with 31 CER now that they've set up a Squadron in town. The money is definitely not the motivator, rather a chance to serve and give something back to the country. So I think there are a few of us around who despite the education level (which by the way does not mean ***t it terms of one's intelligence) are willing (or are crazy enough) to get involved with the Reserves. I have been in waiting since March to go before a merit board (all other steps of the recuiting process completed sucessfully).

The recruiting process really sets out who is and is not encouraged to become a DEO candidate - - I am no better than anyone else in my own mind, have ZERO military experience, but have been asked to proceed with the Officer Training. If going through the ranks is important than I think that 1) the entire recruiting process could be sped up by light years, 2) the CF will have to exclude anyone from Reserve service who has a Master's or advanced Degree because by time your done University, go through BOTP, etc. your going to 50 when your a 2Lt.

A friend of mine who is a Sgt. with the RHFofC in Kitchener says go NCM for many of the reasons you guys say. The Recuiters say that my work experience, etc. will be benificial to the unit. As a private would I really make the same contribution as if I were an Officer knowing what I know from University. Talk about confusion. I anyone has any advice I'm all ears. Regards.

:cdn:

Good:
Decision Maker
Takes Responsibility
Delagates

Bad:
Aversion to advise
Self before Mission
Waffling

Going back to the previous argument regarding Officers and NCMs. The two main reasons seem to be technical competence and teaching humility. While there should be opportunities to advance from the Ranks, it shouldn't be  a prerequisite. The walk a mile in my shoes is a non-issue

Leadership is what officers are for and that is a function of personality. At all levels of command in Canada is an NCO "adviser. So at the Plt level, although you have the greenest Lt, accompanying him is one of the most seasoned and experienced members of the Inf - his Plt WO. The CO commands the Regt but who is the Drill/Technical expert, the one who knows the troops and advises the CO accordingly, the RSM. And this goes all the way down the chain.

Officers must look at the big picture, whereas NCMs are taught a narrower view. This is the hard transition and whether you are a NCM first has no bearing.

Interesting topic....I am a hopeful DEO.....and I am not trying to get in because I do not have a job, I think that was a horrible assumption to make.  I have a job that pays a little over 2x what a 2nd lt makes, so that is not my motive at all as I will be taking a huge pay cut, am I the exception?? possibly but I don't think so.  Sure all the people with pysch, soc, kin, geography, history etc. degrees don't have jobs so they may be doing it as a last resort, but for someone with a good degree (nursing, engineering, commerce) they most likely are giving up a job that pays more than the forces does.....

Reading the posts,I feel every soldier,NCO or commissioned rank should possess all the above mentioned.
It is true an officer needs that edge of qaulities to lead men in the field,be it on excersise in peace time or on the battle field.It is difficult to actually define the role of an officer.... and from a recruit or NCO rank ask ourselves...

What is it should an officer possess to lead me through hell so that I can survive ?
Why should I follow this man?

To be honest all of our views will be different as every rank holds there opinons of there own CO in an individual way,or any other officer.My experience is that an officer needs all the qaulities that we all possess to serve in the armed forces.

The Royal Marines are the only service in the British Armed Forces whos officers train with there men,same course same training centre everything.and to be honest this type of bonding forms all the above mentioned comments and the recruits will follow who they believe in.

The whole question is a lot bigger than just a few words of Trust,Loyalty,Honour...we all have these as soldiers and our nation trusts us all with these codes.

Just a view.

Marine837M

RCA, you hit on pretty much what I was thinking.

Now a few of my own points, you all brought up some very good points but I'm going to put some thoughts out that may anger a few people.

First one is career progression, sure you're going to get an inexperienced Lt leading a platoon, but his next step is to coy comd, then into the hierarchy of the HQ.   As someone else stated, you've got a crusty and very experienced WO, MWO, etc with you along the way, he provides input, you make the decision, that's the meat of an officer's job.   You have to make the decision that no one else may want to. You're also responsible for the outcome of said decision, no one else will take the blame or the praise.

This next comment is going to stir up a hornet's nest I know, if you make a university educated person do 3 years in the ranks with a person that has a grade 10 education (which is by the way the min req to join as an NCM), I don't think it's going to do much for cohesion.   There's always going to be resentment there because some thought processes are going to come easier to the educated person. Thus from the get go, you've got essentially 2 different people doing the same job.   It's going to affect the uneducated guy's confidence since things will seem to be harder for him to understand, not that they are harder, just that a university education teaches you to think on so many levels.

If we have a look at officer training as it stands, I'm a pilot but we're going to look at the army side of stuff. CAP, Ph 3 & 4 take about a year to do, following 1 year of basic & french school. University degrees are 4 years for honours and 3 for general degrees, most take 4 year degrees, RMC for example is 4 years period. We're now at 6 years of training, if you want to add 3 years of time in the ranks it's now going to take you 9 years to get a platoon comd. This is all well and good, but it's taken half of someone's career to get to be a Capt platoon comd, now in the next 26 years (assuming they're going for a full career) they have to advance to CDS.   It's not realistic, no one will ever make it that high, not to mention that the average career is 25-30 years. So my question is who would lead this band of merry men? A General who spent 9 years getting to Lt and 20 years going from Lt to Gen (8 rank changes)? So less than 3 years in each rank, he's got to do advance operations courses, staff school, etc, as well as instructing at those levels, the amount of time he'd actually spend at each rank physically leading someone would be maybe 1.5 years.

Personally, I don't think that being an NCM for 3 years would have made me a better officer, you don't need to have been a Pte to understand when someone is in the hurt locker and needs a break. You don't need to have been a Pte to understand the significance of bringing a haybox of Timmy's coffee to your guys on a winter ex. I think that in the quest for better officer's, one could simply implement a better recruiting system to help weed out the careerists and gold diggers, leaving you with Officer's capable of leading and caring for troops without having to add 3 years to the officer training.

Since it was mentioned a couple times, the seemingly top heavy CF being skewed by the Airforce req for Pilots and Navs to be Officers.   We're not the only ones, RN, RAF, USAF, USN, etc, the armies of our 2 closest allies are the only ones that have NCMs as pilots so it would seem that NCM pilots are the exception rather than the rule the world throughout.

Cheers

I like the most of Infanteer's ideas,but being a grade 10 drop-out I do have my own little beef. It seems that everybody wants to equivocate a degree with knowledge and, in my opinion thats wrong. I think the days of officers needing more education because your average foot soldier signed his name with an X belong buried in the far past. Under the scheme proposed I would like to see where everyone has the chance to become what they wish no matter what it said on their little pieces of paper prior to joining. However as part of the consideration process the military should offer the chance to complete courses on the side and this can be used to see who is willing to put up the extra effort to succeed..
To sum up, I do have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to what is perceived as "higher education". This does not make anyone a better leader, more intelligent, or have a " broader view of the world".

Inch.... you posted while I was typing so this isn't aimed at you but .........oops, sorry had to swat a hornet...they're everywhere!! >:D
Bruce

Methinks that for the idea of officers going through the the ranks, one has to make a firm distinction.

Several armies allow officers in with degrees, similar to ours.  However, there are also many armies that do not allow officers with degrees to join the combat arms, or, rather, the Armour and Infantry.  In these armies, the recruit joins, goes through training, and is identifiesd as a potential officer type.  This person is "tagged" on his file, but is not informed, until he has served for one year in a platoon.  Then he goes through officer training, serves as a Lt, and only then, is sent to their equivelent of RMC.  Officers join directly to all other trades, including Artillery and Engineer.  The pro, and the con, is that only Armour and Infantry Officers attend their version of RMC, all other officers join after attending civilian universities.  These armies, BTW, include the German, Israeli and the Danish armies, all of which are conscript armies, which may have a bearing on the issue.  However, I always liked that idea.

BTW, Bruce, you made it to Grade 10?  Wow.  Congratulations.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Inch.... you posted while I was typing so this isn't aimed at you but .........oops, sorry had to swat a hornet...they're everywhere!! >:D

Bruce was that a shot at the Griffon driver refering to the F-18 name like that? ;D

You sonofa.....I'm no Griffon driver  :crybaby:

Bruce, I don't equate a degree with having more knowledge, believe me, I didn't learn anything in university that I couldn't have learned in the mess. You my friend are the exception, but I have, in my time, met quite a few people with grade 10 educations that don't have a shmick of how the world works and as such are quite limited in their opinions and usually leads to comments like "f***ing officers"

Unfortunately, universities req high school diplomas and the military would like it's officers to have university degrees, so for the most part, the hoops are going to have to be jumped through if you want to head down the road to "I'm a General and I've got a driver and my own car and ....".

Cheers

Well, this is a pretty busy thread, and I feel that my idea can only stand if I can sufficently deal with the criticism leveled.   So here it goes....

ags:

This process would guarantee that nobody with a degree, except Lance's desperate, would ever consider joining.

I would disagree.   Again you seem to be equating "degree" with "must be an officer".   My proposition is more directed to getting people from highschool at age 18; I think university graduates would be the exception rather then the norm, but the system will be structured to accommodate them.   However, regardless of whether a person just finished highschool or just finished an Honours in Psyc is irrelevant.   If they are interested in serving in the forces, they will both start on step one, because both are civilians with not a lick of experience in the military.   Officer selection, like NCO selection, will be based solely upon merit.

While you might not care about money when you are busy, I guarantee your family (or ability to build one) would be greatly affected by it. I am not suggesting that we use salary as our recruiting incentive, but pointing out that people who want to join for the right reasons should not have to make large sacrifices in financial and family stability to do so. Is accepting unlimited liability not good enough these days?

The Officer Corps isn't the only way to make a decent living in the Forces.   We are one of the best paid military forces in the world.   Overseas, Corporal's were making more money then the Platoon Commander, so your salary dilemma really doesn't hold water.

As well, I don't think a soldier with a university education would automatically quit the forces upon failing Officer Selection.   Perhaps he or she wants to stay as a troop for a while and progress to a SNCO.   There would be nothing wrong with encouraging further professionalizing of the NCO Corps through increased education.   Although I would argue that it is not as vital as the NCO's are expert tradesmen rather then expert within a profession (as Huntington has defined it), the quality of our Army can only benefit from an increasingly educated group of SNCO's.   Perhaps we should have a system to provide incentives to Ranks and SNCO's who go out of their way to do this.

I am pointing out that an intrinsic result of the structure proposed would be that people who did not get into university on their highschool grades but want a degree will naturally be drawn to the possibility of getting one through the military, as other means to that end are no longer an option. I see this as a flaw, not a benefit.

Well, a rigorous set of standards combined with the challenging course of studies at the RMC should ensure that the Officer Corps will not be filled with "underachievers" (although using someones highschool grades as a determinate of their ability to do well in University is only valid for so long; perhaps 3 years in the Ranks can provide a solid grounding of real experience to turn the "underachievers" of highschool into solid students of the military discipline.   The University system calls these "mature students".   As well, with a military school such as the RMC, which is a top class military academy which offers much that civilian universities do not, the opportunity to attend such an institution will probably draw a very motivated crowd of young men and women into the Army.   Those who do not gain entry as an Officer Cadet can leave the Forces with their "GI Bill" that I mentioned earlier; they have something to show for their three years of service and can go on with life.

This is all well and good to say, but if you were looking for a long term career, would you sign a contract for a job described as "we'll let you know what you're doing three years from now" and salary of "we might offer you a competitive salary later, but don't bet on it"? Even without the unlimited liability clause I doubt you'd sign on. Most people with a degree already in hand, regardless of how much they might want to join for the right reasons, would likely go with their second career choice.

Again, I think you're confusing the issue that a person with a degree should necessarily shoot for a commission.   We should move away from this line of thinking.   The military will take those who wish to work on a short term stint or a long term career within the Army.   If it deems a person to be suitable for an officer position, then it can send them for the requisite training (which should include a military degree).  
Either way, progression to any rank from Private to General should be based on some form of merit; nothing should be guaranteed.   If a person who studied rocks at the UofA for four years cannot comprehend that this is an essential part of the profession of arms, then tough luck for him.   His degree alone should not be the deciding factor in him going straight to Leadership Training.

I see university and military education as separate entities, both necessary for today's officer. A university degree is necessary because, while unrelated to leading under fire, an understanding of the world outside of your little bubble is necessary to operate in a complex geopolitical environment. While no guarantee, the university degree is currently the closest thing to an indicator of such knowledge that we have. We already have numerous ways for people with degrees to join, or those already in to get one.

A military education is simply another form of post-secondary education.   Studies in tactics, theory, and military history are a sub-branch of the Liberal Arts "tree" that all Universities teach to some extent.   The RMC is an accredited institution, its graduates are awarded a degree that is as good as the one on my wall from UBC.   However, I advocate that a degree based upon a military education is required as it is an aspect of the professionalism of the Officer Corps.   A doctor must study sciences and the human body to gain a general understanding of the medical profession; those who seek to lead and control the use of military force should be no different.

As well, I've advocated that a minor in a separate discipline in order to diversify the knowledge base of the Officer Corps as a whole.   While all Officer's will have a common background with a B.A. in Military Studies, each one will also have experience with economics, literature, chemistry, psychology, etc.   This will ensure that the Officer Professional does not get tunnel vision; the theory and study of War is a cross-discipline affair that involves all aspects of life.

We already have numerous ways for people with degrees to join, or those already in to get one. Why mess with that?

Rather than turning everything on it's head, why not focus on how our military education is delivered?

I propose the system as I did because I believe it is the best way to inculcate the ideas of the military profession within those who would lead us into battle.   Just because we have a system now does not mean it is optimal.

pbi:

I have to wonder about the source of your data. Is that for the actual Army MOCs in Army jobs, or for all MOCs and commands across the CF? For example, the RegF Inf is severely short of officers at the Capt level, while the RegF Artillery is in a similar boat (in our Bde they can fill only one of the three Arty FTSO positions, for example). On the Res side, taking our Bde as an example, most of our 16 units have only a fraction of their required number of officers, and officer recruiting/retention is one of our biggest challenges. Taking LFWA as a whole, for another example, out of a strength of roughly around 8-10,000 RegF and Res, I doubt there is any way we have an officer/NCO ratio of anything like what you are quoting.

If you are figuring in NDHQ, I guess you could be closer to the mark, but most people in NDHQ are not employed in "Army" positions and have no direct contact with troops. The Air Force also tends to skew the results, as they have a somewhat higher ratio of officers due to our Canadian requirement that a pilot must be a commissioned officer.

I'm not saying you're totally out to lunch-I'm just wondering what your source is. Cheers.

Sir, I got the data straight from the horses mouth, so to say:

http://www.cds.forces.ca/pubs/anrpt/anxd_e.asp

Although the data is a few years old, I didn't anticipate too much derivation from the estimates for future years.   Given that the Army is 1/3 of the CF strength, I simply took a third of the figures supplied to get my facts; perhaps I may be a point or two off, but I think I am hitting the ballpark.   Here is what I figured

- The figures give the CF Regular Force has about 1275 officers at LCol (Cmdr) and above.   Splitting that into 3 even parts, that gives us about 425 Colonels and Generals.   Of these 425 about 112 are ranked full Colonel above.   Does anyone see these numbers as being excessively high for an Army that has 3 Brigades and no higher fighting formations (Or a fleet of some 20-30 ships or an Air Force of 1 Air Division)?
- Current Canadian Army Officer Numbers as Compostion of Total Force: 21.8%
- Current Canadian Army Officers to Soldier Ratio: roughly 1:4

The general percentage I've seen given in books dealing with organizational trends and efficiency seem to peg 5-10% as the desired percentage.   I guess that number is debateable as well.

However, from the shortages you have given, perhaps this would indicate that NDHQ and other "outside" postings are taking too much officer strength from the fighting forces, or that trade assignments are disproportionate (Branch A has an abundance, while Branch B is lacking).

More to chew on I guess.   Does my math seem to be in the ballpark to you?

DrSize

Thank you, you've proved my point.   Both potential recruits and the military benefit when the opportunity to serve in a dynamic and unique institution is the guiding principle of recruiting.   Of course, the military should ensure that it's soldiers can make a decent living, which it does.   As I have argued before, troops are payed quite well.

Inch

This next comment is going to stir up a hornet's nest I know, if you make a university educated person do 3 years in the ranks with a person that has a grade 10 education (which is by the way the min req to join as an NCM), I don't think it's going to do much for cohesion.   There's always going to be resentment there because some thought processes are going to come easier to the educated person. Thus from the get go, you've got essentially 2 different people doing the same job.   It's going to affect the uneducated guy's confidence since things will seem to be harder for him to understand, not that they are harder, just that a university education teaches you to think on so many levels.

I think this statement is just ridiculous.   When I was a Private overseas, I was nearly done my University degree.   The fact that I a may have had a better understanding of certain things and a head full of good Jeopardy answers didn't alienate me from my section mates.   You were in the Army, you should understand the dynamics of a small unit and those soldiers who live and fight together.

If we have a look at officer training as it stands, I'm a pilot but we're going to look at the army side of stuff. CAP, Ph 3 & 4 take about a year to do, following 1 year of basic & french school. University degrees are 4 years for honours and 3 for general degrees, most take 4 year degrees, RMC for example is 4 years period. We're now at 6 years of training, if you want to add 3 years of time in the ranks it's now going to take you 9 years to get a platoon comd. This is all well and good, but it's taken half of someone's career to get to be a Capt platoon comd, now in the next 26 years (assuming they're going for a full career) they have to advance to CDS.   It's not realistic, no one will ever make it that high, not to mention that the average career is 25-30 years. So my question is who would lead this band of merry men? A General who spent 9 years getting to Lt and 20 years going from Lt to Gen (8 rank changes)? So less than 3 years in each rank, he's got to do advance operations courses, staff school, etc, as well as instructing at those levels, the amount of time he'd actually spend at each rank physically leading someone would be maybe 1.5 years.

I layed it out in my initial proposition and have worked it out on paper and by reading through similar ideas; it is not as infeasible as you make it sound.   Take a recruit from highschool at 18.   He goes through BE and is selected at the end to attend officer school (21).   Three years at RMC (A degree can be done in three years, if anything, an extra workload can be a character builder that can be managed in the regimented environment of a military academy) to earn a B.A. followed by comprehensive exams (24) - teach'em French at the University if we insist on bilingualism.   A year of Leadership training in the field (you don't need CAP and basic, covered by time in Rank) followed by commissioning and first assignment by age 25.   Considering that today RMC grads are first assigned at 22-23 following graduation and a fresh DEO is assigned at about 24-25 (4 years Uni + 2 years Officer Training), the system I have proposed is no where near the 9 years you pointed out, rather it would be pretty close to our current trends.

Personally, I don't think that being an NCM for 3 years would have made me a better officer, you don't need to have been a Pte to understand when someone is in the hurt locker and needs a break. You don't need to have been a Pte to understand the significance of bringing a haybox of Timmy's coffee to your guys on a winter ex. I think that in the quest for better officer's, one could simply implement a better recruiting system to help weed out the careerists and gold diggers, leaving you with Officer's capable of leading and caring for troops without having to add 3 years to the officer training.

I feel my three years sure did, so I guess it that is a matter of opinion.   What I have proposed here is, in my opinion, "a better recruiting system to help weed out careerists and gold diggers."   Bottom line is, I can't really see any serious disadvantages by having officers do time in the Ranks, while there are express advantages as I mentioned in my propostion.

Since it was mentioned a couple times, the seemingly top heavy CF being skewed by the Airforce req for Pilots and Navs to be Officers.   We're not the only ones, RN, RAF, USAF, USN, etc, the armies of our 2 closest allies are the only ones that have NCMs as pilots so it would seem that NCM pilots are the exception rather than the rule the world throughout.

I will admit, my proposal pertains specifically to officers within the Army.   The Officer Corps' of the Air Force and the Navy are much more technical and managerial in nature, so they would require a different approach.   However, I would advocate the essential nature for a military education to be present in the training of Officers in those branches.   As one Colonel so eloquently put it "The Air Force, for all its technical knowledge, is ind anger of becoming a mob of glorified truckers in that its pilots understand the airframes that they fly but have a serious deficiency in the doctrinal theories under which they fly them in.   They understand Aircraft and not Air Power." (this was my version of a quote from a journal).

As well, I would advocate a split in pilots.   Those who wish to fly can take a track that allows them to do so for the majority of their career; by taking this path they acknowledge that they will never hold high rank (Perhaps these pilots will be NCO's instead, like WWII or something akin to the US Warrant Officer system) while a separate track is for those who will fly but who will also be experts at the Air War.   They will be commissioned officers who will command and staff the formations of the Air Force.

Bruce, I don't equate a degree with having more knowledge, believe me, I didn't learn anything in university that I couldn't have learned in the mess. You my friend are the exception, but I have, in my time, met quite a few people with grade 10 educations that don't have a shmick of how the world works and as such are quite limited in their opinions and usually leads to comments like "f***ing officers"

I agree with you here.   Although I would venture that education and intelligence are two separate things, I believe that generally a higher education can open up new horizons and add many "analytical tools" to the thinking mind.   I would like to see Highschool graduation as the minimum for entry into the Forces; like any other institution the standards and competitive nature are rising, and I don't think the Army should be forced to maintain the image of "Green Welfare" or a "Dumping Ground" for failures in the civilian world (not advocating that those without HS fit into this category, just that it seems to be a general perception; why not raise the bar?).

Anyways, good discussion guys.

Cheers,
Infanteer

Infanteer, your model for getting a 25 year old platoon commander has some merit, though in our current state, training delays are inevitable. I myself waited 20 months to go to Moose Jaw, I was a 2Lt for 4 years. Though I used that time to work on my degree at RMC, and RMC is not the military institution that many would have you believe, it's a university with drill classes. Most the of the military training is done during the summers, ie. CAP, Ph 3, SLT. After some thought, it's closer to 5 years to get a trained Infantry officer, since by the time the Charm school guys graduate, they only have Ph4 to do, add onto that BOTC prior to going and you could get a trained 2Lt Inf O in 5 years, so 23 year old platoon comds. The 6 years was more geared to DEO's. Also, engineering degrees cannot be done in 3 years (any engineer types want to back me up on this?), maybe general arts degrees, but most science degrees are 4 years.  This would work for most of the Army trades, and prior to Unification, it would have worked beautifully, but by unifying the forces and combining some of the training with the 3 branches, we've made our own bed. Pilot & Nav training is too long to be doing during University so it's done after. Basic Flight training in MJ is 6-9 months depending on the weather, basic helo school is 5-6 months, and multi is a little shorter. This is just to wings standard.  With the training delays, I started MJ Dec 2002, it'll be Apr 2005 before I'm operational.

I think this statement is just ridiculous.  When I was a Private overseas, I was nearly done my University degree.  The fact that I a may have had a better understanding of certain things and a head full of good Jeopardy answers didn't alienate me from my section mates.  You were in the Army, you should understand the dynamics of a small unit and those soldiers who live and fight together.

You're right, but it didn't stop me from wanting to choke the life out of the idiot that lost a C9 barrel, or the beatings we got for guys missing simple curfews. It didn't alienate you because you have a good head on your shoulders and you're probably a stand up guy, I'd consider myself the same way, my education didn't alienate me because I knew when to shut up, even if it sometimes took every last amount of will power. I would say that yes there was a little animosity between the above mentioned wastes of skin and other educated types, but we worked through it.

Cheers

I've read some of this topic and skimmed over the rest.  I sort of side with Lance and Infanteer, in that I am becoming more and more disillusioned with this attitude that an Officer 'must have a degree' that the Liberals came out with a few years back... What a crock!  I've got a Degree, as do many NCMs that I have met over the years.  Lance can verify that fact.  As for the comment by Inch about some Grade 10's not having a smick, well I've met many University Grads who couldn't lead a drunk to the pisser, and although they had a paper to hang on the wall, they were useless as tits on a bull.

I think that the CF should get rid of its' University or rethink who it is going to put into it.  I tend to think that we should be recruiting from our Leadership Crses; CLC, PLQ, DP 6A, etc. to find "Officer" material.  Offer those successful candidates the options of advancing as an NCM in their trade, or as an officer in their trade or another.  We would have no more reason to run CAP Crses.  There would not be a requirement for them to 'serve their time' after graduation from RMC.  They would know what it is like in the 'trenches' and already be experienced 'leaders'.  They would also be up on their other training such as Drill, and probably be qualified to give it to themselves.  I believe it would be cheaper and more efficient in the long run.  It was how many of the original cadets to RMC were selected in the early 1900's and may be the turn the wheel must take again.

By the way, what Corporation in the world recruits its' CEO's directly out of High School?  Then why should we?

A little brief, but easier to read than some long Kerry-like dissertation.

GW

An interesting topic, and one that has been put forward at other times, but never seems to gather sufficient momentum to hold up in the long run.

We have long had an officer corps that is very diverse in the origins of its members, probably more so in the combat arms than other areas. I have trained and served with officers who were ROTP (RMC), ROTP (Civvie U), DEO, OCTP (with and without some university), CFR, Component transfer, prior service as Reg NCM, prior service as Res NCM, etc. Notably, no one group has managed to achieve a lock on the right side of the Bell curve for performance or progression.

Having been an NCM before entering the Reg F as an officer, I can say that my prior service helped me by lowering the stresses of basic and early leadership trg. BUT, once I was past the level of my previous experience and training, there was little actual advantage based on past experience. (Occasionally some further advantage was derived, for example when I pursued and received Advanced Mortar training, it helped that I had been a mortarman and basic mortar instructor, but this was more specific to the technology of the platoon's weapon systems than anything else.)

I would think that if prior service was such a substantial advatage, it would have been clearly identified by the performance and relative progression of those selected for officer training from that source. It has not, some excellent NCOs make very good officers, others just don't achieve much at all. Captains who try to solve problems the way they did as a 'shining star' Master Corporal aren't well liked by the troops and don't fit the expected requirements of the officers corps. I'm not trying to make a generalization against the option of commissioning NCMs either, just making the point that it's been no more effective than our other selection methods.

One underlying context of the argument for prior service as a soldier seems to be the intimation that the NCO Corps would "select" future officers. And without that NCO approval, no soldier desiring a commission would be considered. Assuming an objective and altruistic methodology for this selection and recommendation process allows the assumption of it's being a valid course of action. The insertion of fallible human nature into the equation completely undermines it. Though I'm sure it wouldn't be more abused than the PER system has been over the years.

At one level it would see the group that occasionally produces a dud NCO now picking likely officers based on performance only as a soldier. And what could possibly be the criteria for issuing such recommendation, or not?

"Bloggins there is an independent thinker, I'm not going to recommend him because he contradicted me."

"Atkins only does what he's told and never more, he'll make a good little platoon commander."

It has been suggested that we wouldn't recruit officers under such a plan, we would recruit soldiers only and then 'we' would choose who might be fit for officer training. What then would be the reaction to an applicant who pronounces at the outset his intentions of being selected and trained as an officer - perhaps the same outrage and disdain for their arrogance that this forum often delivers to the innocently ignorant "I wanna be a JTF sniper" crowd?

And once the unit's merit lists are devised, who gets to pick which soldiers go for NCO training and which for officer training? Shall the officers pull rank and skim the top 10% of the eligible troops, leaving the "B" team in the NCO ranks? Or pick them like school yard sports teams, captained by RSM and CO, possibly mismatching people to jobs in both streams.

As for learning about the platoon commander's role while serving as a soldier, how much does #3 rifleman in #2 section really see and learn about his platoon commander's responsibilities?

Some very good officers have prior experience as a soldier, both from the Reserves and the Regular Force. But this has not been a decisive factor in selecting or ensuring above average candidates throughout their careers. We should continue to use it as a method to promote some to commissioned rank, but I would no more support it as a single stream method than I would any other (including RMC). I think the diversity we have had over the past few decades is probably the best compromise we could enjoy.

Michael, that's an excellent post. I agree whole heartedly with diversity in the methods of training. I hate to go back to the pilot thing, but since that's what I do day in and day out, that's what I know best.  I had an instrument rating to go with my civilian commercial pilot's license. I had 230hrs and thought I knew everything I needed to know.  I was on course with guys in Moose Jaw that finished better than me and had zero time flying before joining the military. Some guys were RMC, some were DEO and some were OCTP, we all finished the course and there isn't a single one of them that I wouldn't trust as my aircraft captain.

The major point I have is that given the diversity in human nature, there is no surefire way of getting only the best, short of genetic breeding. Clone wars here we come.

Cheers

Obviously, the lines are set in this and we can argue until we are blue in the face; most of this is a matter of persective with good arguments on both sides.  It remains another one of those ideas or theories that we can continue to look at to define our understanding of our profession.  I will admit that the structure I proposed is a bit drastic in that, as Captain O'Leary has pointed out, it puts "all the eggs in one basket" by taking all our officers from one stream.  Perhaps proposals for modest moves into this direction (regarding recruiting, education, training) would make the issue more feasible and debateable as well as more plausible to the majority.

I completely disagree with this statement:

"I think that the CF should get rid of its' University or rethink who it is going to put into it.  I tend to think that we should be recruiting from our Leadership Crses; CLC, PLQ, DP 6A, etc. to find "Officer" material.  Offer those successful candidates the options of advancing as an NCM in their trade, or as an officer in their trade or another.  We would have no more reason to run CAP Crses.  There would not be a requirement for them to 'serve their time' after graduation from RMC.  They would know what it is like in the 'trenches' and already be experienced 'leaders'.  They would also be up on their other training such as Drill, and probably be qualified to give it to themselves.  I believe it would be cheaper and more efficient in the long run.  It was how many of the original cadets to RMC were selected in the early 1900's and may be the turn the wheel must take again.

I won't give you a "Kerry-like dissertation" George  :) as I have argued against this line of thought vigorously in other threads.  However, I will say that history as shown a military education to be one of the essential foundations of the move from amateur adventurism to institutionalized excellence; it was begun by the Prussians in 1806 and copied by all other industrialized militaries to some extent.

What is important is that we understand a degree with a military background not to be "something to make us smarter" or merely a check in the box of requirements but rather as a grounding in the profession of arms.  Would you really want to use a Doctor who had no understanding in the fundamental theories and historical precedents of Medicine?

http://www.deutschesoldaten.com/

I thought I'd through this in for good measure.  This is from Michael Dorosh's excellent site on the German Wehrmacht.  Although it would be impossible to directly compare with our Army for a number of reasons, this can provide a historical case study to add content to the debate.

Back