• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

reserve basic training difficulties

Bfalcon.cf said:
Now go screw off please.
Phil

Clearly you will do fine without our help.  If you are on BMQ this summer in Wainwright or Shilo I'm sure we can arrange a welcome.

History of I.Q. It Began with Galton

The concept that intelligence could be or should be tested began with a nineteenth-century British scientist, Sir Francis Galton. Galton was known as a dabbler in many different fields, including biology and early forms of psychology. After the shake-up from the 1859 publishing of Charles Darwin's "The Origin of Species"Galton spent the majority of his time trying to discover the relationship between heredity and human ability.

The general attitude of the time held that the human race had a tiny number of geniuses and a tiny number of idiots, while the vast majority was composed of equally intelligent people. Whatever someone achieved in life was the result of hard work and willpower. Although a comfortable view, this wasn't enough to satisfy Galton, who believed mental traits are based on physical factors, and are in fact inheritable traits--the same as eye color or blood type.

Galton's ideas on intelligence were influenced also by the work of a Belgian statistician named Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet. Quetelet was the first to apply statistical methods to the study of human characteristics, and actually discovered the concept of normal distribution--the tendency for the bulk population to fall somewhere between two extremes, with numbers dropping sharply at either extreme. If plotted on a chart, these values assume a shape roughly like that of a bell.

Galton's Ideas in America

Galton published his ideas on hereditary intelligence in a book titled Hereditary Genius, which is recognized as the first scientific investigation into the concept of intelligence. In the 1890s, an American student of Galton's, James McKeen Cattell, brought the idea of intelligence testing to America. Cattell's work caused brief but intense mental testing in America. What proved to be the test's downfall, however, was that scoring well on the Galton test did not indicate if a student would do well on schoolwork, which was considered the practical proof of good mental ability.

Binet and child intelligence

Meanwhile in France, a psychologist named Alfred Binet was busy devising tests to rate child intelligence. Like Galton, Binet was passionate about testing and measuring human capabilities. His understanding of intelligence evolved through intense trial-and-error testing with local students. Working with groups of average students and groups of mentally handicapped students, Binet discovered certain tasks that average students could handle but handicapped students could not. Binet calculated the normal abilities for students at each age, and could pinpoint how many years a student's mental age was above or below the norm.

The Paris educational authorities came across Binet's work and asked him to devise a test that could be used to separate normal children from special needs students. These tests were held between an interviewer and a single student, with questions like: "What is the difference between wood and glass?" and "Make a sentence using the words, Paris, fortune, gutter."

The idea that a test could determine a child's "mental age" became enormously popular. Just before World War I, a German psychologist named Wilhelm Stern suggested a better way of expressing results than by mental age--Stern determined his results by finding the ratio between the subject's chronological age and their mental age. Therefore, a 10-year-old scoring one year ahead of their chronological age (110) would be not as significant as a 5-year-old scoring one year ahead (120).

Terman coins intelligence quotient

An American psychologist named Lewis Terman coined the term intelligence quotient for Stern's Binet test scoring system. An average IQ score on a Binet test was 100. Any score above 100 was deemed above average, while any score below 100 was below average.

Pioneers have reservations

Recognizing that the Binet test had its limitations, both Binet and Stern doubted IQ scoring actually represented a fixed inborn quantity of intelligence. As Stern wrote in 1914: "No series of tests, however skillfully selected it may be, does reach the innate intellectual endowment, stripped of all complications, but rather this endowment in conjunction with all influences to which the examinee has been subjected up to the moment of testing."

Despite reservations of these two pioneers, the Binet test was enthusiastically accepted in America. In 1916, a Binet test was administered to a prisoner on trial for murder. Because the prisoner fared so poorly on the test, the Wyoming jury acquitted him by reason of his mental condition.

U.S. Army embraces IQ testing

The greatest spurt in American IQ testing came in 1917, when America entered World War I. Binet's original tests were designed to be administered to children on an individual basis, but the U.S. Army was faced with the dilemma of sorting huge numbers of draftees into various Army positions. To solve this problem, the Army put together a committee of seven leading psychologists to devise a mass intelligence test. The chairman of this committee was Robert Yerkes, who later admitted he was chosen simply because he was president of the American Psychological Association that year.

Luckily, one of the seven selected psychologists, Lewis Terman (coiner of the term intelligence quotient), had a pupil named Arthur Otis, who had already begun constructed a group intelligence test when the Army decided it needed one. By and large, the committee adopted the material Otis had already prepared, and in six weeks the tests were ready for the printers. A few weeks after that there was a trial run with four thousand men. Less than two years later, by the beginning of 1919, nearly two million American men had taken the Army intelligence tests.

The Army scores were not expressed using the intelligence quotient, but instead by simply awarding points for correct answers. On the basis of these points, men were divided into one of five classes, ranked from A to E.

IQ after WWI

Soon afterwards, many companies began testing programs to determine who would be hired, promoted or transferred. But the greatest market for intelligence tests was the schools. In the years following World War I, practically every school system in the country began some sort of intelligence scoring program. Of course, intelligence testing had its fair share of detractors, including Walter Lippmann, a well-known columnist and social commentator of the time. In 1922, he wrote: "One only has to read around in the literature of the subject...to see how easily the intelligence test can be turned into an engine of cruelty, how...it could turn into a method of stamping a permanent sense of inferiority upon the soul of a child...."

IQ falls out of favor (race discrimination)

In the 1960s and '70s, IQ tests began to fall out of favor, partially because of racially and culturally specific test questions. In 1964, the New York City Board of Education did away with IQ testing entirely, and other boards of education followed suit, often reluctantly. Many lawsuits related to job hirings and denied education also took place during this time, usually finding the IQ testers guilty of discrimination.

Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences

The concept of intelligence has continued to evolve, despite problems with and misuses of IQ testing. In 1983, Howard Gardner argued that "reason, intelligence, logic and knowledge are not synonymous...", setting forth a theory of multiple intelligences. Gardner defined seven distinct intelligences: logical-mathematical, linguistic, spatial, musical, bodily kinesthetic, interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligences. The concept of multiple intelligences helped broaden the idea of "intelligence" from a mathematical and verbal understanding, which had become cemented into American culture through years of national testing (i.e. the SATs).

U.S. reliance on IQ testing

Gardner's ideas have made their way into education, and are currently being used by many school districts. But traditional intelligence and scholastic aptitude testing has continued to gain acceptance and force in U.S. education. Today, certain colleges refuse to accept students below certain prestigious scores on the SATs and many private and premier public schools accept students almost solely on the basis of test scores.

While many of pioneers of intelligence testing have called for the removal of intelligence testing from schools, the American education system embraces IQ testing as a quick way to rate student ability. As intelligence psychologist Arthur Jensen wrote, "Achievement itself is the school's main concern. I see no need to measure anything other than achievement itself."

Bibiliography

Cohen, Daniel. Intelligence, What Is It?. New York: M. Evans and Company, 1974.

Fancher, Raymond E. The Intelligent Men: Makers of the IQ Controversy. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, Inc., 1985.

Gardner, Howard. Frames of Mind. New York: Basic Book Inc., 1983.

Gardner, Howard. Intelligence Reframed. New York: Basic Book Inc., 1999.

Jensen, Arthur. Bias in Mental Testing. New York: The Free Press, 1980.

Now Phil could YOU kindly screw off, because quite frankly no one on this site has time for children with their head in their anus. Take you superstar SAT scores and go off to some american university and waste $100,000. Perhaps you can join the marines while down there and have a go at Iraq, I'm sure you're genius will keep you out of trouble over there.

If there is someone on the site who will be instructing on Einstein junior's course this summer, please take notes, pictures, or better yet videos to share with the rest of us. Remember to make them simple though for us dumb grunts. ;D

Congratulations!
Your general IQ score is 149.

A person whose IQ score falls in the range of 144-160 is considered to be "gifted".  
An IQ is a composite of your scores across 12 distinct aspects of intelligence. Each person has a unique intellectual make-up, with strengths and weaknesses that affect their methods of understanding, recognition, communication and association. Using a carefully cross-reference scoring scheme, TestCafe is able to accumulate a profound quantity of information about your natural intellectual abilities.

I am so smrt.

www.testcafe.com

Thanks Rhyno, I took that IQ test you posted and it says I'm frigging retarded. Did pass the sex test below it though 8)

I wouldn't brag too much about going to SJR - SMUS grad here.  IQ doesn't mean jack to a landmine or a 7.62mm or 5.45mm round when it's coming at your melon.  Just means that the whole world might not get sucked in through the hole in your head.

MM

bfalcon

I certainly hope that the website listed in your profile isnt your personal one.  It contains more inacuracies than any other i have ever seen.  Photos misidentified as well as totaly incorrect data.  If it is yours.....you missed the boat.

I also read the essay you posted here....what are you supposed to be proving ?  It wasn't all that good.  Had to write better and longer for university.  Want to read those ?

Get over yourself or go be a ninjasnipercadetsupersoldier at "militaryphotos.net"

I have a feeling that IF you become that private recruit or commissioned officer, as written in your profile, you will  not last long around the "probable dumbasses" you will meet.

I can almost guarantee that this "man" will be an MIR commando within the first week.

I'm in the wonderful magical world of LFCATC Meaford right now...the first BMQ platoon to arrive so far this summer broke 6 troops in the first 5 days.  There was also a voluntary RTU on the first day - while getting jacked up by a MCpl, this rocket scientist turned around to face another staff member and, with a straight face and whiney tone, stated "I don't like being yelled at".  Seems like more and more often, we're getting these gutless wonders who think the world revolves around them and go into shock the first time someone tells them to do something.  IQ boy here is a perfect example of that - a self-centered, pompous little prick, with little to no self-discipline, respect, common sense, motivation, or attention to detail.

This has become ridiculous.

With any luck he will be sorted out on course, but do we really have to humour this bs in the meantime?

Guess your friends are as moronic as you?

I think it's pretty obvious where this thread and yourself are going though.. thank god.

ahh the internet a place where you can be a smart or tough as you want to be!

The only thing I don't get is that, I have a buddy that is a doctor and has a fairly high IQ and there is no way in hell he would ever spell or talk like the way the kid did.  even if it is part of the times.  Your grammer and spelling online really reflect who you are.

Sivad said:
The only thing I don't get is that, I have a buddy that is a doctor and has a fairly high IQ and there is no way in heck he would ever spell or talk like the way the kid did.   even if it is part of the times.   Your grammer and spelling online really reflect who you are.

You think maybe he (gasp) lied about his IQ?

My God what is the Internet coming to, is nothing sacred?

Of course what do I know, according to the web site I'm still an oversexed fricking moron.

(where the hell is the sarcasm button for these posts)

I aced the sex test also Danjanou, must be all that hard tack and bakeapple jam we ate growing up.  ;D

Back