• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Yeah, well! Sleeping on a poncho caked in mud or dust and eating cold rations in the rain while not being able to plug my razor in - that's not my idea of fun.

I like to bring my bunk around with me and have a nice warm meal at least once a day, then enjoying the pleasures of having electricity available. ;)

P.S. re: Electricity: What is wrong with you ground pounders that you don't even make it available in the washrooms of your shacks on Army bases?

Not all of us. Some of us have trucksacks not rucksacks. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Never get off the tank!

I've heard rumours that this proposed submarine procurement and operation pact between Germany, Norway and Canada would include avenues for RCN submariners to get their feet in the door with the German/Norwegian personnel training pipelines and generate manpower through this way. It is potentially one of the major supporting points for the German Type 212CD proposal, partnering with relevant NATO members can provide benefits that those outside of the alliance are largely unsuited to give.
Perhaps they could power the boats with Lord Kitchener's coffin, he'd be turning in his grave at Mach 2 when he finds out the colonials are training on U-Boats haha. In all seriousness, that sounds like a great training system. Learn from the pros.

Last edited:
Perhaps they could power the boats with Horatio Nelson's coffin, he'd be turning in his grave at Mach 2 when he finds out the colonials are training on U-Boats haha. In all seriousness, that sounds like a great training system. Learn from the pros.
More like Walker is turning in his grave. Nelson would see them as Prussians

At the end of their life, it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to decommission a nuclear facility. Those costs would also apply to nuclear powered submarines. The decommissioning process can last for decades.
Saskatchewan is decommissioning it's slowpoke 2 reactor for an estimated $ 7 million and take 2 years. Might be the best option to place in a North Korean Boat?

We can decommission the Soviet way, ie leave it in the forest for hunters to find or dump the reactor core into deep water.

Some comments from VAdm Topshee regarding the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project from the newest edition of the Canadian Defence Review. If they can stick to this sort of idea and improve the quality of service being provided by Canadian based companies to the sub force, I can see this potentially working out well.

CDR: What lessons has the Royal Canadian Navy learned from operating the Victoria-class, and how do you foresee the Navy applying those lessons to the new class of Canadian Patrol Submarine?

VAdm Topshee: Availability โ€” that would be the number one lesson I take from the Victoria-class. It doesn't matter how good the submarine is, if it can't get out of the harbour, it's of no use to anyone. So for us, this is all being driven by two things: one, we need to replace the Victoria-class as quickly as we possibly can. And two, whatever that solution is, it needs to have a maintenance package that ensures an availability that's greater than what we've achieved with our current submarines. So, how will we achieve that? Well, the first thing is that we have committed that this is intended to be a military off-the-shelf procurement โ€” buying a submarine that is in production. So not a design, not a concept, but something that actually exists and buying it as is. We have about 215 qualified submariners in Canada โ€” we are not going to adapt a submarine to them, we are going to adapt them to the submarine that we buy because we are too small of a force to do it any other way. Whoever builds that submarine, we need to make sure that they build a maintenance enterprise in Canada, on both coasts, to sustain submarine operations. 70% of the value of the submarine contract is not the acquisition, it's the in-service support here in Canada, and that is where well see the Canadian jobs, the Canadian technology growth, and the Canadian benefits. So that's really our focus. From my point of view, very selfishly, getting that right ensures that we get boats that can do the job and will be available when we need.

Some comments from VAdm Topshee regarding the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project from the newest edition of the Canadian Defence Review. If they can stick to this sort of idea and improve the quality of service being provided by Canadian based companies to the sub force, I can see this potentially working out well.
Yes quickly lets get going

SK KSS3
German U212CD
Dutch/French Orka/Attack
Swedish A26
Spanish S80+
Japanese Tagei

Without any inside information, and as a non-submariner, if you asked me to place a bet right now I'd guess that the Germans will win the competition.

Even if it isn't the most capable boat, the pitch they're making of split nationality German/Norwegian/Canadian training crews should probably win the bid alone, because IMO it's the only "easy" way to dig ourselves out of the submariner Force Generation hole we're in and start expanding the submarine service by a few hundred people.

Now whether this consideration will receive appropriate weight in a PSPC bid evaluation is another story altogether.

Back