• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

On the 60 or the 92? Pretty sure either the mid-mount or high-mount ESSS will fit any -60.
Was thinking MH-60, as I don’t see a future with the 92/Cyclone.

Second thought was 2 60’s /CSC but it may be a lot more efficient to have a UAS in that extra space, I just don’t know anything about MH stuff.

Nor I. I’ve bounced skids off enough floaty grey things to know I’d prefer to leave it to the folks that do this stuff…

I have to believe that if the USN trusts their ASW in part to the 60R its probably a good bet we could too.
Helicopter requirements are generally based on the doctrine. USN doctrine is to have an SSN with Task Groups to provide the main ASW punch. They also have carriers and LPD's that carry lots of extra helicopters that can do tasks and keep up a constant ASW picket with them. As such they don't focus on surface ship ASW quite like we do. It also means they can send an 60R with just a sensor out and have another in standby with a torp on it.

UK is more like us with many ships sailing in groupings without a carrier, thus want heavier helos to backfill those gaps. So they use a Merlin. And our current helo came from the anything but Merlin contract so here we are.

One of the best ways to get green folks to shut up about how Aurora (and ship) crews have it “easy” is to take them on an ASW exercise :sneaky:

I’ve seen a few get as green as new TW CADPAT…as you’re eating your meal close to them thinking “we haven’t even done a MAD Comp yet”
Hercs doing tactical flying in the dark is usually good enough.

Or @Good2Golf flying NAP - one of my worst vertigo incidents even was in an old 135 near Connaught Ranges. The crew got a 7/8 for passengers being sick.

I knew MH crew members who were so prone to seasickness that they would get a box lunch from the galley on the ship (the cooks took pity on them) and could only eat (and hold food down) during their 2.5 hour sortie.

I have no idea how they did that. I could not live like that.

I knew MH crew members who were so prone to seasickness that they would get a box lunch from the galley on the ship (the cooks took pity on them) and could only eat (and hold food down) during their 2.5 hour sortie.

Almost like there should be a seasickness and airsickness test for aircrew (and techs) when they get assigned to specific fleets…

When I was JPSU the Halifax crew told me a lot of people had chronic seasickness and couldn’t sail

When I was JPSU the Halifax crew told me a lot of people had chronic seasickness and couldn’t sail
I know a few people that got VOT because of it, and a few others that probably should have. The couple that VOTd were a big loss as they were great, just got so sick they couldn't eat or function, but would do what they could. One poor guy was set up as sentry for some wooden structure (shoring) used for flood control, but in a common room near a few messes so at least had a couch. Poor guy was just curled up trying not to die, but could key a radio if something happened (during the exercise).

It took quite a while to actually come in, so he had something like six months at sea before he got transferred. It was too bad, as he had pushed through phase 2 and 4 sea phases, but couldn't get his BWK because he was so sick. It was also on the 280s so had a really weird flop and roll. It was the RCN's loss, great guy.

Unfortunately no real way to figure it out other than go to sea, and for most people a bit of gravol and time does the trick. The plus side now is a lot of people are getting sea time while waiting for career courses post BMQ so at least figure it out before they do the long QL3s.

We had a guy called "Duke the puke" as he suffered badly from seasickness, but he soldiered on and got his masters ticket. i have to admire his determination in that regard.

I got 'seasick' 3 times...twice was a Monday morning sailing case of brown bottle flu after way too much fun in foreign port, the 3rd time was the night on the Gatineau that I discovered I was slightly lactose intolerant...when I mixed milk, raisin bran and Sea State 6-7.

After that, I managed OK. Once I got an afternoon nap in, I was all good to go.

Bonamine is my best friend. Gravol knocks me out bad. My issue is that the more senior I get the less I can take a break too recover early in the sail (my positions get more important!) and the more computer time I have to do work, both of which equal higher levels of nausea.

However usually by day two or three I've adjusted.

Back