• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just got back from Trenton.
Failed ASC for Pilot, but freaking ACED for AEC. After touring the control tower and actually getting to know what an AEC does, it's actually a pretty cool trade! Lots of diversity in posting options, different fields of specialization, and you get to see and control aircraft all day long! I'm probably going to switch my choices for AEC, I'm pretty excited!

Currently I'm in grade 11; so when do I apply for ROTP? And, how much competition is it?

Hello Everyone,
I posted a short story here, /topic,109171.0.html , about my application to the ROTP if you're interested in giving it a read.
I hope I have the opportunity to meet all of you in Kingston  :)

armyguy1 said:
the way you guys are talking about sharing your experience, keeping positive, makes me wonder how difficult this process really is.

I was informed by the recruiting centre that it is competitive, but what is so challenging about the process? I would appreciate someone that has gone through it to shed a bit of light on it. As it stands for me I am just waiting until September... the recruiting centre said I can't or shouldn't send in my application until then.

This is an old post but I needed to respond, because I feel the fear... Really armyguy, really? Your competition (to name a couple):

MatthewMeredith said:
I'm 23 and hold an Associate Arts Degree from Vancouver Island University.
Richard P said:
Right now, I spend around 21 hours a week doing competitive road cycling, 10 hours running, and about 8 hours volunteering at a local hospital.
The competition is staggering, you should feel the fear...

Khaalid said:
Currently I'm in grade 11; so when do I apply for ROTP? And, how much competition is it?

ROTP is a very competitive application; high grades and athleticism are only part of it. You must score well on the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (to qualify for your selected trades), in addition to your interview (if you are considered for one). Contact a recruiter to verify the prime time to file an application. You should be looking to apply around Sept. of your Gr. 12 year.

So, I am in high school, almost finishing up grade 10. As I step into grade 11, the mad dash for the University applications start. I have to be 100% sure of what I am doing before I do it. It doesn't mean I don't know if I am passionate about the army. I love the army, and would grab any chances to join. But army recruitment could be especially complicated if not understood properly. So, these are my goals

Become a COMMISSIONED officer in the Canadian Forces.
To achieve this, I am planning to take ROTP in RMC. But what my concern is, what degree are you accomplishing in RMC when you are studying there as an Officer Cdt.?
How do you APPLY for RMC? because RMC is not on the list of application in the civilian university website?
If you want to be an officer, do you have to pick a degree from RMC? Is it Military and Strategic Studies?

After you are finished from RMC, do you complete BMOQ INSIDE RMC, or after you graduate?
Can you directly become a commissioned officer if you pass BMOQ and graduate as an officer cadet?
What are the odds of getting into RMC?

I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE ANSWERED THESE QUESTIONS, AS I AM PRETTY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS STUFF.

PS: My second dream is to become a paratrooper. I know you have to be exceptionally fit, and I think I am pretty fit. But can an officer be a paratrooper? How do you become a paratrooper? BTW, I am a part of the Queen's Own Rifles, the only para regiment in Canada

CadetJ said:
So, I am in high school, almost finishing up grade 10. As I step into grade 11, the mad dash for the University applications start. I have to be 100% sure of what I am doing before I do it. It doesn't mean I don't know if I am passionate about the army. I love the army, and would grab any chances to join. But army recruitment could be especially complicated if not understood properly. So, these are my goals

To achieve this, I am planning to take ROTP in RMC. But what my concern is, what degree are you accomplishing in RMC when you are studying there as an Officer Cdt.?
How do you APPLY for RMC? because RMC is not on the list of application in the civilian university website?
If you want to be an officer, do you have to pick a degree from RMC? Is it Military and Strategic Studies?

After you are finished from RMC, do you complete BMOQ INSIDE RMC, or after you graduate?
Can you directly become a commissioned officer if you pass BMOQ and graduate as an officer cadet?

I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE ANSWERED THESE QUESTIONS, AS I AM PRETTY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS STUFF.
It changes from year to year, so my enrollment process a couple of years ago will not look like yours will.  All of the information you seek is readily available on the internet (try the RMC website for degree questions, and forces.ca for required degrees for different occupations), or through formal channels, like a recruiting center.  I recommend you go find it yourself.  I'm certainly not going to dive through the various websites and spoon-feed you all the steps of the process.

The only piece of advice you need to hear here is that you should apply early in your grade 12 year.  You want to apply as early as the recruiting center will allow so that you can ensure the process goes smoothly and you have adequate time to resolve any complications that may come up in the selection process.
PS: My second dream is to become a paratrooper. I know you have to be exceptionally fit, and I think I am pretty fit. But can an officer be a paratrooper? How do you become a paratrooper?
Yes, officers can get on the jump course.  I can't speak to the likelihood of this happening or which factors affect your chances.  Maybe others here can.
BTW, I am a part of the Queen's Own Rifles, the only para regiment in Canada
Thanks for sharing.
You might want to qualify your statement.  I know all kinds of people who are jump qualified, and they don't belong to the Queen's Own Rifles.

Unless the reserves promote 16/17 year olds to Cpl, he almost certainly is a cadet corporal with the QOR cadet unit. I have sent him a PM encouraging him to fill out his profile amongst other things.

JesseWZ said:
Unless the reserves promote 16/17 year olds to Cpl, he almost certainly is a cadet corporal with the QOR cadet unit. I have sent him a PM encouraging him to fill out his profile amongst other things.
Yeah, I did a quick Google and discovered that the Queen's Own Rifle's are the only Militia unit in Canada with a parachute tasking.

I guess the OP neglected to clarify that.  I assume he's aware of Reg Force regiments with jump coys, as well as the many other cadets who have their jump wings.

My advice to the OP is to be proud of what he has done/will do if/when he does/did his jump course as a cadet, and of his regimental affiliation, but to remember that being proud quietly will get you much further than being proud loudly.  Wear those wings proudly on your chest if/when you earn them, but don't be so quick to boast about it.  That won't win you any brownie points at RMC, and you certainly won't be the only person there wearing them.

CadetJ said:
[size=12pt]BTW, I am a part of the Queen's Own Rifles, the only para regiment in Canada

You are part of the Regiment, or part of its affiliated Cadet Corps?

And there are no "para regiments" in Canada. None.

Please pick a font and size and stick with it. It makes reading less painful. And do some research on this site. The Search Function can be very helpful.

Maybe it's just this forum specifically but there seems to be a lot of people interested in AEC, AEC is apparently one of the less popular trades but I guess things are different this year. Only 12 spots for AEC this year.....

Globemaster77 said:
Maybe it's just this forum specifically but there seems to be a lot of people interested in AEC, AEC is apparently one of the less popular trades but I guess things are different this year. Only 12 spots for AEC this year.....

I would tend to agree that AEC is not a popular occupation.......until you don't meet the requirements of Pilot.

DAA said:
I would tend to agree that AEC is not a popular occupation.......until you don't meet the requirements of Pilot.

HAHAAHAHA yeah I agree with that. Most applicants who fail for pilot just go for ACSO in my experience.

See, I stutter, but I applied for pilot anyway. I got talked out of doing pilot by my MCC. I thought about doing AEC as well, since my stutter is not severe. However, I thought about it and decided that it`s probably wise to stay away from any air force jobs where they require a lot of talking on the radio and working with airplanes that travel really fast. I don`t really want to be responsible mishap or perhaps get someone killed just because I might not be able to say something on the radio.

Cui said:
See, I stutter, but I applied for pilot anyway. I got talked out of doing pilot by my MCC. I thought about doing AEC as well, since my stutter is not severe. However, I thought about it and decided that it`s probably wise to stay away from any air force jobs where they require a lot of talking on the radio and working with airplanes that travel really fast. I don`t really want to be responsible mishap or perhaps get someone killed just because I might not be able to say something on the radio.

So, what's your Plan C?

Well, I'm currently merit listed for MARS and Logistics, so let's just see how this turns out.

CadetJ said:

PS: My second dream is to become a paratrooper. I know you have to be exceptionally fit, and I think I am pretty fit. But can an officer be a paratrooper? How do you become a paratrooper? BTW, I am a part of the Queen's Own Rifles, the only para regiment in Canada

1. RMC has a variety of different degrees that you can take. They have a website, which you will be able to find through a simple Google search. Some trades will require certain degrees; others will take nearly any. It sounds like you wish to be an infantry officer; pretty much any four year undergraduate degree will do.

2. The application process for RMC is not done through OUAC. You are applying to be a member of the Canadian Forces foremost; your application to RMC for the ROTP program is a subordinate portion of that. You need to go to a recruiting centre and talk to a recruiter. There is one in Toronto.

3. We have three infantry rifle companies in the regular force that are airborne capable, and who sometimes practice those skills. Canada has not jumped regular forces into battle since the Second World War. Keep your expectations realistic. We also have plenty of people who have their basic parachute course; this does not make them 'paratroopers', it just means they are trained to jump out of a plane with kit. See my previous comment about the last time we jumped into battle. You don't need to be 'incredibly fit' to get para qualified. The physical standards are reasonable, but by no means crazy. Any reasonably fit person can do it.

4. You are not part of the Queen's Own Rifles. You are an army cadet. Make sure you have that clear. Further, the Queen's Own are not an airborne unit. there is a portion of the unit with a parachute tasking. Some of their exercises involve jumps. Given the limited time that any reserve unit has to train, this comes at a cost, and some will say with some merit that the time the QOR spend jumping takes away form other much more core, much mroe relevant basic soldier skills. They are at the end of the day another infantry reserve unit- we aren't talking about the French 2ie Regiment Etranger de Parachute or a US parachute infantry regiment or anything.

At this point in time your concern needs to be keeping your grades up to compete for ROTP, spending time volunteering, doing sports, etc to be more competitive, and preparing yourself for the basics of the military. The rest will come in time.

I am a ways into the selection process. I went in for my interview/CFAT in early January and was told I am a competitive applicant. I'm hoping to soon hear back from recruiting on whether or not I made the cut! My three chosen occupations were Armour/Intelligence/Infantry... I'll post again when the results are in! (Fingers crossed)

Good luck man! I'm also planning on applying for the ROTP September 2013.  What questions are asked during the interview anyways?

Mincading said:
Good luck man! I'm also planning on applying for the ROTP September 2013.  What questions are asked during the interview anyways?

When the interview commences, we are informed that divulging information about the interview is illegal.

Mincading said:
No one will answer this question for you; however, in order to help you prepare for your interview, I'll point you to the link I found as the first hit on a Google search for "CF interview preparation."

http://www.11rca.ca/web_pdf/prep.pdf

I highly recommend every applicant complete this preparation guide prior to their interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back