• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

So... Given the $1 Billion cut to defence, anyone still imagine "reconstitution" is a thing?

Reconstitution or not, flying has been cut back substantially from the normal, but that's due to a pers shortage of 30% in maintenance and 50% in support areas. The ask is still there, but in reality you can't have your cake and eat it too. I've stopped caring about all the noise surrounding this organization, just worry about your immediate position and the things you can positively influence.

I don't think that fell under reconstitution, it was more Army restructure. You also conveniently left out the ridiculous structure of the PRes units; no Army org is without bloat.
While Im not 100% as it is a political football I get the impression from my own readings and ear recordings that the next couple years will be a testing period to see what PRes units need to be grouped together. I did hear that OR are merging at least out West.

3 Snr NCMs of the same rank getting posted to three separate locations they don't want to be in. All want each others locations for better COL, family reasons, etc. They come together in a group email and request, through the same CM, to post them to the same locations, just different people going to different places to make them all happy. CM denies it and as a result you have three Snr NCMs with releases in. CAF still doesn't get it.

3 Snr NCMs of the same rank getting posted to three separate locations they don't want to be in. All want each others locations for better COL, family reasons, etc. They come together in a group email and request, through the same CM, to post them to the same locations, just different people going to different places to make them all happy. CM denies it and as a result you have three Snr NCMs with releases in. CAF still doesn't get it.
I don't get it, seems like a win for the CM, but I guess I'm just 'not aware of the strategic personnel management considerations'.

I'm trying to work on something similar for myself to keep doing critical work, into a job where they are happy to have me do that work, so expecting a posting to somewhere totally different that uses exactly none of my SME knowledge (which we would be paying $400/hr for a consultant for) doing policy or some other soul crushing job. PAR exemption to ride into retiring at 25 years for the win I guess.

The Horsemen strike again?

And the purple world goes:

first time GIF

I think for most of these its a flex by the CM. Its their way or the highway.

Last edited:

My guess is the CM consulted with a Commanding Officer or three and this is their wish, doesn't matter what the NCMs want.

Clown show.

I think for most these its a flex by the CM. Its their way or the highway.
This happened for a good 10 years under a previous CM in the Sigs NCO World. It gutted our senior leadership and took with it a lot of corporate knowledge and experience. We still haven't recovered as a Corps.

That one CM took more out of the Corps with the stroke of a pen than they created with any potential creation of a "breadth of experience" by playing musical chairs for the hell of it.

Qualified personnel are a finite resource. When your only options are "like it or get out.." people will and have taken the latter option.

This happened for a good 10 years under a previous CM in the Sigs NCO World. It gutted our senior leadership and took with it a lot of corporate knowledge and experience. We still haven't recovered as a Corps.

That one CM took more out of the Corps with the stroke of a pen than they created with any potential creation of a "breadth of experience" by playing musical chairs for the hell of it.

Qualified personnel are a finite resource. When your only options are "like it or get out.." people will and have taken the latter option.

I think I was in JSR when this went down.

And coupled with the disaster of combining trades. I really felt bad for my Sigs brethren.

Well…they do say the pen is mightier than the sword.

let george bush GIF

It's almost as if HR need professionals for management, and not random folks issuing direction based on ill conceived ideas from delusional seniors.
Warhammer 40K Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

It's weird how some things are driven by a lot of deep task based analysis, extensive training needs analysis etc, and then there is our career management and instructor positions.

I got posted to a school for a year as an instructor, taught 3 career courses, then got the intro to training and development course just in time for a posting (and for the fully functional and really popular wiki version of the textbook to get deleted shortly after, with defaulting back to the obsolete course ware it had replaced).

If it makes you feel better, this happens in the civy work too. 🤦‍♂️

It's almost as if HR need professionals for management, and not random folks issuing direction based on ill conceived ideas from delusional seniors.
HR ‘professionals’ in the civvy world aren’t much if any better.

My experience in dealing with civilian HR is they are all about the company, not the employees. Usually just someone who did some degree then landed a spot in HR/is a family member or friend of the boss who has no idea what the actual workforce does.

The only real difference being that most civilian jobs can recruit people to the higher positions off the street, we are limited to who we train up and retain.

CM: "Your parents are going to die."

Everyone else: Did the CM just say he was going to kill our parents?

Probably thinking of the same guy who promoted 120 people to MCpl every year (including some on their first PER being a ready) to generate Pri 2 cost moves that got given to the MWO/CWOs to move laterally and refused succession planned positions but were inexplicably allowed to remain in succession planning.

Yeah, failure to put round pegs in round holes. Then the big heads wonder why good people leave for other employers.

The big heads, in the CAFs case, really don’t care. If a CM posts three Snr NCMs which results in three releases, are they held accountable for that decision? Would they be held accountable?

The big heads, in the CAFs case, really don’t care. If a CM posts three Snr NCMs which results in three releases, are they held accountable for that decision? Would they be held accountable?
They should, frankly.

If you wantonly write off 3 DND vehicles, you're going to at least get a talking to from MSE Safety and losing your 404s. We can easily replace those vehicles.

Torpedoing 3 otherwise perfect careers; with potentially millions of dollars with of corporate knowledge, training, and experience because "fuck it, I'm the Career Manager and I can" should probably warrant a harsher reaction.

Skilled people are a finite resource. Especially in an organization that refuses to laterally promote or laterally hire.

Back