• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-enrollment to the CF Questions

Returning to the Military

• recruting

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • update

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

dardt

Reaction score
Kincanucks hopefully you can answer this one for me.

I'm a previous OCdt (DEO 2005, AEC) who was released from the CF in Dec. after failing the small party tasking portion of basic officer training. I'd like to know if / when I can re-apply for both Officer / NCM positions. What factors would be considered in the process and if such applications are at all that common.

dardt said:
Kincanucks hopefully you can answer this one for me.

I'm a previous OCdt (DEO 2005, AEC) who was released from the CF in Dec. after failing the small party tasking portion of basic officer training. I'd like to know if / when I can re-apply for both Officer / NCM positions. What factors would be considered in the process and if such applications are at all that common.

The minimum waiting period after release is six months and your re-enrolment depends on what your release item was.  Whether it was voluntary or it was unfavourable and stated that you shouldn't be in the CF.  If it is unfavourable then a file review will be conducted to see where you shortcomings were and then you will be interviewed to determine whether those shortcomings are still an issue and then a decision will be made whether or not a re-enrolment will be sought.  If it was a voluntary release then the circumstances of your release will be discussed and it will be determined whether those circumstances are still an issue.  Re-enrolment applications are very common and I have seen people who have been involuntarily released return later to re-enrol and have turned out to be excellent CF members.  In most cases it was a maturity issue.  If it is determined that your shortcomings were because of poor leadership skills then perhaps a stint as a NCM will be beneficial.

Does any one out there have any feed back on X military returning back to the military after they have been out for over 10 years.

Insanehuman said:
  Zat waz a joke

Spell in normal English, an no stupid remarks..

Anyways, in my old unit we had a guy who got out of the Army in the early '90s after spending some time in the Seaforth Highlanders an British Army, joined back up in '03. He didn't really like having to redo all his courses, but he did well. His prior experiance helped himself on the courses, aswell as other recruits. We also had a guy who was also in the Seaforth Highlanders for a few years an got out in the early/mid '90s an joined back up in '02(I think) as a officer.

Insanehuman your first comment on this thread was rude and offensive, not funny.  I predict that if you don't control yourself that you'll find that many more people are put out besides the two of us here so far.  You are already on a 'Verbal Warning', are you trying to crank it up?

Get yourself togeather.  This is not a game or a forum for your amusement.

Does any one out there have any feed back on X military returning back to the military after they have been out for over 10 years.

Reserve or regular force?

It would be interesting to hear from people who have gone through the process but this is what the CFRC site says.
This information is posted on: http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/CFmembers/past_CFmembers_e.aspx?bhcp=1

Re-enrolling in the CF
There are many advantages to re-enrolling fully qualified personnel. Tremendous savings are achieved by cutting down on the cost of training, and those returning to the CF are an indicator to serving personnel that the Canadian Forces remains an employer of choice.

In addition to ensuring that the candidate satisfies the basic eligibility criteria, a verification of former service is required when a former member of the Regular or Reserve Force applies to re-enrol in the Canadian Forces. According to the number of years that have passed since they were in service and the reasons for their liberation, former members may be categorized in the following groups:
Unskilled - those who require complete training;
Recruit School By-Pass (RSBP) - those who require MOC training;
Semi-Skilled - those who have some MOC relevant skills but will require some training; and
Skilled - those who are fully employable on enrolment.
The calculations for Rank, MOC Qualification Level, Incentive pay Category (IPC), Incentive Credit (IC) and Time Credit for Promotion (TCP) will be provided by CFRG HQ and are based upon the results obtained from the PLAR process and the applicant’s prior service.

Has anyone out there gone through this process?

Very interesting topic.

I have been pondering this for a number of months, however, it appears that the negative factors that lead me to leave are still present.

That said, I am very interested how the new government's policies on defence will pan out, and if it will lead to an actual real increases in manpower, such as the re-introduction of a new regiment or two. Getting in at the ground floor would be rather exciting.

I am still open to the idea of re-joining, but I would sure like to hear any real life stories of someone rejoining who has been out for, say, a decade.

If you released more than ten years ago you will be required to attend the BMQ for NCMs and the IAP/BOTP for officers and any MOC qualifications that you may have earned during your previous service  will be assessed for currency.  You may be granted some qualifications and you may not be granted any.  Every file with these circumstances is assessed on a case by case basis.  Now if you were a technician in the CF and while a civilian you work in a similar area then you would be considered as keeping your previous CF skills current and then you may be granted some qualifications.  However, if you were in the Infantry and while a civilian you worked as a salesperson then you would probably be doing everything all over again.  Lets face it unless you use the skills that you have been taught in the CF they will become useless over time.  Again every file with these circumstances is assessed on a case by case basis.

Well, that's mine to answer I guess.

Retired from the Reserve in late '97 or maybe early '98. Decided this summer (2005) it was time to get back in.

Filled out the paperwork to transfer from the SRR back to the Primary Reserve, and about 2 weeks later I got a job offer that was basically "pick up exactly where you left off" - kept rank, kept qualifications, kept everything.

Medical 07:00 the next day. Issue kit 10:00. Issue ID card 14:00. Assemble, name, and pack kit 15:00. 20:00 on the bus to Stalwart Guardian. Arrive Pet 06:00 following day. 11:00 assigned as LO to C Sqn. 13:00, bashing my way across the Pet training area.

It took almost no time at all and I was thrown right back in to the deep end of the pool. All in all, pretty painless.

The magic word here may be "SRR" though. If you got all the way out and did *not* go to the SRR, then your experience may be different.

DG

realized my post was not relevent to your subject, i dont have experience with 10 years or more.....good luck.....

I can only speak for the reserve world but I was out for more than 20 years before coming back as a rather "mature" re-enrollment.

I think there are three observations I can make for anyone contemplating a return to service after an extended absence.

1. Culture shock: it's not easy returning to the military fold after a prolonged absence and getting used to the hierarchy and formality of military life. This can often be underestimated especially if you've been successful in your civvy career; you are generally at a level where you're master of your own cubicle and you've earned your civvy career stripes. In the military, chances are you'll be starting from the bottom again.

2. Demographic shock: everyone will seem awfully young and with the odd exception among senior NCOs and some officers - you will be old and likely self-conscious about it. In the army this presents a physical challenge and despite collegial entreaties that you can easily overcome this - you will still feel the pain.

3. Sticker shock: the price of getting into the game again can be expensive from the point of time - and possibly - money (living for several weeks on 2Lt. pay without a top-up may strain family finances). When I originally thought about getting back in training times were still in the MITCP category - today they have escalated considerably and getting enough time off to participate in training is a major obstacle - especially if you have a demanding civvy job which won't allow huge blocks of time being taken off - plus the impact on family may be challenging.

Overall I think the results of bringing guys back in from the cold are mixed. The army reserve is still pretty much focused on students (for obvious reasons, they got the time and they are less likely to whine) and they haven't been very successful in getting more established folk to come into the armouries.

Food for thought?? - (and maybe a reality check),

cheers, mdh

mdh, were you on SHR/SRR when you went back?  Your post sounds like a good realistic assessment of the challenges of "getting back in".
Perhaps there needs to be some sort  of "retreading" to bring in people who have been out for awhile, such what as existed 50+ years ago to bring back WW2 veterans and their experience for use in the Korean War.

If I didn't have to pay back my pension, I'd be back in tomorrow!  ;D

This question is moot since there's no unit close to me, but I'm curious.

In 97 I left the Primary Reserve for the Supp List as a corporal in the infantry.  The highest qualification I attained was QL4 Infantry Communications.

How easy would it be for me to get back in the Primary Reserve, were there a unit nearby that I could parade with?

RangerRay said:
This question is moot since there's no unit close to me, but I'm curious.

In 97 I left the Primary Reserve for the Supp List as a corporal in the infantry.  The highest qualification I attained was QL4 Infantry Communications.

How easy would it be for me to get back in the Primary Reserve, were there a unit nearby that I could parade with?

It is up to the reserve HQ as to what quals you will get and all you have to do is apply at a unit and you don't have to go through the CFRC/D if you are still on the Supp List that is.

Back