• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RAF C-130 Crashes

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
A RAF C-130 crashed shortly after takeoff NW of Baghdad. Wreckage scattered over a wide area. My thoughts and prayers are for the crew.

UK military plane crashes in Iraq  

A British military transport plane has crashed north of Baghdad, a senior US military officer has said.
There was no immediate word on casualties, but the plane's wreckage was scattered over a large area, according to reports.

The C-130, en route from Baghdad to the city of Balad, crashed about 40 kilometres (25 miles) northwest of Baghdad, said the official.

Helicopters are at the scene and observed the wreckage.

This from BBC at 10:10 EST

My prayers are with the crew and their families. :cdn: :salute:RIP

Another reminder that all three armed services have their own dangers - we shouldn't waste too much time fighting amongst ourselves (and, in this example - a reminder to army guys who've been "cargo" in Hercs ... that we're all brothers-in-arms ...).

The RAF C-130 is from one of the four tactical lift RAF Squadrons from RAF Lynham, UK.
For more information, go to the Home Page, Royal Air Force Lynham, United Kingdom.
MacLeod

British military plane crashes north of Baghdad
Sunday, Jan 30, 2005
Associated Press

Baghdad â ” A British C-130 military transport plane crashed Sunday north of Baghdad, scattering wreckage over a large area, officials said. Prime Minister Tony Blair said there were British deaths in the crash, but did not say how many.

The crash occurred at around 5:25 p.m. about 20 miles northwest of Baghdad, a spokesman for the British Ministry of Defense. British C-130 Hercules planes can carry up to 128 infantry personnel, though though the number on the flight was not announced.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the crash, which occured about a half hour after polls closed in Iraq's elections.

Mr. Blair didn't give details of the British deaths, but paid tribute to the troops who died in the crash. "This country and the wider world will never forget them," he said in a televised speech praising the election.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050130.wcrash0130/BNStory/International/

Nine UK troops die in Iraq crash
BBC

Prime Minister Tony Blair paid tribute to the troops killed, saying: "This country and the wider world will never forget them."

The C-130 Hercules based at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire, crashed about 40 kilometres (25 miles) north west of Baghdad, the Ministry of Defence said.

The final death from the crash, which happened at 1725 local time (1425 GMT), may rise to 15, say military sources.

The plane was en route from Baghdad to Balad, north-west of the capital, which houses one of the largest US airbases in Iraq.

US and UK forces have secured the crash site and are trying to establish the cause of the crash.

Wing Commander Nigel Arnold of RAF Lyneham said they were in the process of contacting the families of those involved.

"Until that's done I am afraid we will not be releasing any details of the crew," he said.

"The welfare of these families is our priority at the moment."

He said it would also be wrong to speculate on the cause of the crash at this stage, but they would carrying out a thorough investigation.

US President George W Bush has also paid tribute to the soldiers killed, as polls opened across Iraq for its first free election in more than 50 years.

"Some Iraqis were killed while exercising their rights as citizens," he said.

"We also mourn the American and British military personnel who lost their lives today. Their sacrifices were made in a vital cause of freedom, peace in troubled region, and a more secure future for us all."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4220649.stm

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=606225

RAF investigates fatal Iraq crash 

The plane crashed north west of Baghdad en route to Balad
An investigation has begun into an air force plane crash which killed at least nine British soldiers in Iraq.
The cause of Sunday's crash was not immediately clear, but wreckage was spread over a large area. It came as Iraqis voted for a national assembly.

Military sources say the death toll could rise to 15 after the C-130 Hercules crashed 40 kilometres (25 miles) north west of Baghdad.

It is the biggest single loss of life for UK troops since arriving in Iraq.

The Hercules, based at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire, crashed in fine conditions at 1725 local time (1425 GMT) en route from Baghdad to Balad, which houses one of the largest US air bases in Iraq.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw paid tribute to the "brave" men who had been on the flight. He said what caused the crash was not yet known.

Hercules plays key role 

Balad is home to about 25,000 US troops and has been the frequent target of mortar attacks by Iraqi insurgents.

US and UK forces secured the site of the crash, which happened on the day of Iraq's first multi-party election for decades.

However, the investigation could be difficult in the hostile territory.

There are no British troops usually based in Balad and the purpose of the flight was unclear.

Some British newspapers have speculated that the plane was carrying Special Air Service (SAS) personnel but there has been no official confirmation.

This country and the wider world will never forget them

Tony Blair 

Air Vice Marshal Tony Mason, adviser to the Commons Defence Committee, told BBC News it was "theoretically possible" there were SAS men on board, but that the MoD would never confirm that if it was the case.

He said the circumstances of the crash were a coincidence, and that bearing in mind the high level of training of a Hercules crew and the reports suggesting wreckage was spread over a wide area, enemy action was a possibility.

"My concern is that at the moment it could very well be hostile action."

The RAF routinely flies between Baghdad and the British headquarters in the southern city of Basra.

The BBC's Clarence Mitchell said the weather in the region was fine, prompting fears that enemy fire was responsible.

Wing Commander Nigel Arnold of RAF Lyneham said they were in the process of contacting the families of those involved and refused to speculate on the cause.

Wing Commander Arnold said next of kin were being notified

Hercules planes have an excellent safety record, according to aviation expert Paul Beaver of Jane's Defence Weekly.

The US-built troop carrier is used by both British and US forces.

British military chiefs have used the plane as a "workhorse" to transport troops, fuel, ammunition and humanitarian relief.

It is the favoured aircraft of the SAS and is regarded as being especially of use in Iraq for its ability to land in desert conditions.

The MoD has a phone number for concerned relatives to call: 08457 800 900

The RAF Aircraft could be from 30 Squadron RAF Lyneham UK. 30 Squadron aircraft are
"unmarked". There is an interesting front page story in the Daily Mirror, London UK today
(31 January 2005) which provides more detail than any other news source thus far in the
UK. Tactical airlift Squadrons from RAF Lyneham recently supported a winter exercise by
the Parachute Regiment in Goose Bay Labrador, which is detailed on the British MOD RAF
Site. My opinion is that the aircraft was shot down by a ground to air missile, or perhaps
even an anti-tank missile. MacLeod

I have been waiting for the SA-18 the Syrian's acquired from the Russian's to appear in Iraq. When the CH-53 went down last week I half expected it to have been a SAM victim. If it does turn out to be a Russian made SAM smuggled from Syria I would expect some type of retaliation.

jmacleod said:
The RAF Aircraft could be from 30 Squadron RAF Lyneham UK. 30 Squadron aircraft are
"unmarked". There is an interesting front page story in the Daily Mirror, London UK today
(31 January 2005) which provides more detail than any other news source thus far in the
UK. Tactical airlift Squadrons from RAF Lyneham recently supported a winter exercise by
the Parachute Regiment in Goose Bay Labrador, which is detailed on the British MOD RAF
Site. My opinion is that the aircraft was shot down by a ground to air missile, or perhaps

And you are basing your opinion on what ?

Information based on MOD UK RAF Press Release and PR Royal Air Force Lyneham, #30 Squadron
C-130 illustrated and defined as "unmarked" plus the fact that my partners and I at one time
owned the former CAI Hangar on the Halifax International Airport and provided hangarage for
RAF Herc's from Lyneham, and #32 the (Royal) Squadron for a BAe146 CC2 - formerly the
Queens Flight following squadron amalgmation, plus Tornado's from time to time, in transit.
MacLeod

Al Jazeera showed a video purporting to show a shootdown of a C-130. It was hard to tell from the video but it didnt look like debris from a C-130. But I might be wrong.

I think that Aesop081 was referring to your opinion on why the C-130 crashed
jmacleod said:
My opinion is that the aircraft was shot down by a ground to air missile, or perhaps

I might have missed it; however, I have seen nothing in the reports stating that it was shot down.  It is a possibility, but as of yet it could be any number of things, many of which might not involve insurgent activity.  As of yet, it is not your opinion that it was shot down by a ground to air missile or anti-tank missile it is a guess at best.  Aesop081 if this is not what you were referring to then my apologies.

Armageddon said:
I think that Aesop081 was referring to your opinion on why the C-130 crashed
I might have missed it; however, I have seen nothing in the reports stating that it was shot down.   It is a possibility, but as of yet it could be any number of things, many of which might not involve insurgent activity.   As of yet, it is not your opinion that it was shot down by a ground to air missile or anti-tank missile it is a guess at best.   Aesop081 if this is not what you were referring to then my apologies.

That is what i was refering to .  I think his opinion is premature and based on no fact known at this time...is he saying that because it happenned in a war zone that it can;t be an accident or mechanical failiure....why dont we wait for the results of an investigation before crying foul !

Speculation doesn't help anyone.  Please state or wait for the facts.

Back