• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rae won't say so out loud, but he aches to be PM

jollyjacktar:
people are mighty pissed off

Who, why?

Even the CBC ....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/19/pol-political-traction-mar10-16.html

Robocalls stall in Ottawa

Interest in the controversy over fraudulent election calls fell substantially in Ottawa, where pundits focused on the government's decision to support an NDP motion to give Elections Canada stronger investigative tools. Outside Ottawa, Canadians were more interested in Pierre Poutine and the Guelph case, but an overall downward trend suggests Ottawa pundits, media and Canadians are losing interest as the opposition fails to deliver a "silver bullet." The clock is ticking for the opposition to produce a knock-out punch on this issue, with the NDP convention and federal budget about to dominate the conversation.

Rifleman62 said:
jollyjacktar:
Who, why?

Even the CBC ....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/19/pol-political-traction-mar10-16.html

Robocalls stall in Ottawa

Interest in the controversy over fraudulent election calls fell substantially in Ottawa, where pundits focused on the government's decision to support an NDP motion to give Elections Canada stronger investigative tools. Outside Ottawa, Canadians were more interested in Pierre Poutine and the Guelph case, but an overall downward trend suggests Ottawa pundits, media and Canadians are losing interest as the opposition fails to deliver a "silver bullet." The clock is ticking for the opposition to produce a knock-out punch on this issue, with the NDP convention and federal budget about to dominate the conversation.
Folks here in Halifax are cranky judging by the Newstalk Radio.  They were interviewing one of the Ottawa based hacks today and he indicated that seeing as Circus is out of session this week things have slowed down.  He said that EC is still on the job and it will take it's own sweet time.  The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind finely.  Maybe things will cool off, but I expect they will soon boil over if the heat turns on again.

jollyjacktar said:
Folks here in Halifax are cranky judging by the Newstalk Radio.  They were interviewing one of the Ottawa based hacks today and he indicated that seeing as Circus is out of session this week things have slowed down.  He said that EC is still on the job and it will take it's own sweet time.  The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind finely.  Maybe things will cool off, but I expect they will soon boil over if the heat turns on again.

Folks in Halifax are always cranky. They don't need a reason ;)

recceguy said:
Folks in Halifax are always cranky. They don't need a reason ;)
Well that's true more often than not.  They do seem to have a hate on for the PM and his party.  Today, however, with such fine weather outside everyone is in a good humour.  It'll be back to bitchin next week when we get more snow and Parliament resumes.

jollyjacktar said:
Well that's true more often than not.  They do seem to have a hate on for the PM and his party.  Today, however, with such fine weather outside everyone is in a good humour.  It'll be back to bitchin next week when we get more snow and Parliament resumes.

I bet they wear their suspenders and belt at the same time with pants pulled up to their chest as they complain about the government full time. Just like me.  >:D

Jed said:
I bet they wear their suspenders and belt at the same time with pants pulled up to their chest as they complain about the government full time. Just like me.  >:D
You mean "those" suspenders and garter belt with the underpants pulled up to the chest...  >:D

Abandon Ship,
"Rae demands Harper resign over stealth fighter fiasco"
Can you just imagine if this was done.
RAE or Mulchair in the pilot seat.
Talk about power hungry and at what price to us.

I keep hearing how the press have been bailing on Bob everytime Mulcair sticks his nose out the door.  That must really rot him to the core.  ;D

jollyjacktar said:
I keep hearing how the press have been bailing on Bob everytime Mulcair sticks his nose out the door.  That must really rot him to the core.  ;D

IMO neither one could organize a one man race to a two hole crapper. Limosine liberals.

At least Jack rode a bike.

Oh, you should not tempt a poor sailor to make quips about riding bikes...  >:D :-X

MP generous pension? Yes the limousine Liberals

"The musing followed interim Liberal leader Bob Rae's comment that Mulroney's government changed the Members of Parliament Retiring Allowances Act just as he was leaving office so that prime ministers would get the equivalent of two-thirds of his or her salary at age 65.

In fact, the retirement allowance for prime ministers was actually brought in under the Liberal government of Lester Pearson and later revised under Pierre Trudeau — a mistake the current Grits have since apologized for."

mad dog 2020 said:
MP generous pension? Yes the limousine Liberals

"The musing followed interim Liberal leader Bob Rae's comment that Mulroney's government changed the Members of Parliament Retiring Allowances Act just as he was leaving office so that prime ministers would get the equivalent of two-thirds of his or her salary at age 65.

In fact, the retirement allowance for prime ministers was actually brought in under the Liberal government of Lester Pearson and later revised under Pierre Trudeau — a mistake the current Grits have since apologized for."

Rae keeps forgetting that Canadians (Ontarians more so) don't have the conveniently short memories he wishes we had.

He seems to be surpassing his predecessor's image of pompous ignorance and out of touch reality. Not to mention his ever increasing insignificance.

It seems Mulcair is playing games. Everytime Rae gets the Press corp gathered around, Mulcair sticks his head in the door and they run to him, leaving Rae standing there looking like a goof. (oops seen that's already been noticed and posted) 8)

When the liberals adopted all those wonderful measures that built the limousine, Rae was an NDPer - That's why he keeps forgetting that it was the party he now leads that adopted them.

More on Rae and the Liberal leadership in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/john-ibbitson/wholl-lead-the-liberals-for-the-next-year/article2447233/
Who’ll lead the Liberals for the next year?

JOHN IBBITSON

Globe and Mail Update
Published Wednesday, May. 30, 2012

There are Liberals who are calling June Clarity Month, because some of the questions hanging over the party should be resolved. But not many people are asking the most immediately pressing question of all: Who’s going to lead the Liberals for the next year?

The party’s national board of directors will meet by teleconference next week, with two main items on the agenda. First, the board is expected to narrow down the date for the vote to choose a permanent leader.

Spring 2013 is as far as they’ve gotten so far. But March is out because it would conflict with the federal budget. The most likely candidates are a Parliamentary break week in April, May or June, when MPs would be free to leave Ottawa.

The board is also expected to declare that, if Interim Leader Bob Rae wishes to pursue the permanent job, he will be released from his previous pledge not to, but will have to stand down.

Assuming Mr. Rae does choose to run, that means the board, in consultation with the caucus, will have to choose yet another interim leader. And that is no small choice.

Nycole Turmel’s troubled tenure heading the NDP reminded everyone of how much damage a poor interim leader can do. Granted, Thomas Mulcair speedily repaired that damage, but in this case the Liberal directors will be asking someone to lead the party for up to a year.

That is a long time to be the temporary voice of a national party. The interim leader – the fifth Liberal leader that Prime Minister Stephen Harper will have faced in just over six years – will need to impose caucus discipline, define the Liberal message, improve party fundraising and organization, and generally make voters feel good about the Liberals. With the party at 20 per cent in the polls or below, a bad choice could be a very bad choice.

Obviously, the next interim leader must come from the caucus. And since the party is pinning much of its hopes on displacing the NDP in Quebec next time out, command of French as well as English is an essential prerequisite, which rules out Saskatchewan MP Ralph Goodale.

Toronto MP John McCallum is a possibility, but he is 62 and not the best communicator. Other strong candidates – Montreal MP Marc Garneau, Ottawa MP David McGuinty, New Brunswick MP Dominic LeBlanc – may be running for the permanent leadership, and would be disqualified.

One name that gets mentioned is Nova Scotia MP Scott Brison. He has categorically ruled out any run for permanent leader.

Economically conservative, socially progressive, telegenic and able (just) to speak adequate French, the Member for Kings-Hants would be a strong candidate.

Mr. Brison is a former Progressive Conservative MP. Since Mr. Rae is a former NDPer, choosing Mr. Brison as his successor would afford a certain symmetry.

Some Liberals are worried about how well Mr. Mulcair is doing, and wish the leadership vote could be advanced to this autumn. The Liberals could be about to go through the dubious process of choosing Bob Rae as interim leader, making him step down for a year, and then handing him the job again.

But the party is determined to give itself plenty of time to debate not only who should lead it, but what it should stand for. So the next interim leader, whoever he or she might be, will have the job for a while. The party would do well to choose well.

Coda: Much of the speculation about who the next Liberal leader might be centres on Bob Rae and on Montreal MP Justin Trudeau, who insists he doesn’t want the job. But another name is starting to surface: Jean Marc Fournier.

Jean Charest’s justice minister impressed the Liberals when he represented the province during the fight over the long gun registry and the Conservatives’ crime bill, both of which the Quebec government strenuously opposed.

The veteran cabinet minister also spent time as Michael Ignatieff’s principal secretary, before returning to provincial politics.

His French roots, federalist credentials and English are all impeccable. But the first big, unanswered question is: Does he want the job?

More to come on this another day.

Now, I'm a card carrying Conservative and a believer in Napoleon's maxim that one should never interrupt and enemy while he is busy making mistakes, but if I was a card carrying Liberal my choice for leader would not, ever, under any circumstances, be Bob Rae - he has too much baggage and he is too old. Rae will be 64 years old this summer, 67 when we get to the 2015 election; Stephen Harper is 53/will be 56 and Thomas Mulcair is 58 and will be 61 in 2015. Canadian society may be getting older and some older men have been excellent political leaders but, on balance, Rae's age is a drawback.

The leader the Liberals need is Scott Brison
brisonscott_lib1.jpg
, but I believe him when he says he doesn't want the job now. The next leader should be:

1. Young;

2. A Francophone; but

3. Not from Québec; and

4. An excellent communicator on TV.

So I'll repeat myself and say that Dominic Leblanc
dominic-leblanc.jpg
from NB is the best choice to lead the Liberals into the 2015 election which, I will also repeat, needs to be fought against the NDP.

However, Leblanc also has baggage - family baggage that I am certain Harper et al would latch on to quickly.

The Liberals, like the Tories, are short on saints.

Look ate Rae's front bench:

1. Goodale is out on language;

2. Garneau has a past - personal past, messy divorce, etc - and a shallow following, I think;

3. Lamoureux? Who's Kevin Lamoureux? (He served three years in the CF; started (never finished?) a degree at University of Winnipeg; got elected as a MLA then MP)

4. Foote?  :ditto: except no CF service

5. And so it goes ... except for Bélanger, Brison, Bennett, Coderre, McGuinty, Leblanc and McCallum it is has-beens piled upon non-entities. That's why Rae looks attractive on the surface, from a distance ... at least he's a "somebody."

The Liberals are in a fight for their political lives - Harper and Mulcair are united in wanting them gone. They need a leader who can appeal to the same people who voted for Mulcair last time ... younger Canadians, Quebecers, urbanites; they can't win power in 2015, not unless both Harper and Mulcair do some incredibly (and uncharacteristically) stupid things, but they can aim to push the NDP back to third party status and retake Stornoway. I am convinced that Rae will fail in that task. As the lead article says, he aches to be PM ... what the Liberal Party of Canada needs is someone who wants to be opposition leader and will get the aim right: beat the NDP in 2015.

3. Lamoureux? Who's Kevin Lamoureux? (He served three years in the CF; started (never finished?) a degree at University of Winnipeg; got elected as a MLA then MP)

Under Axworthy's tutelage

Back