• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

There's an "Easy 8" outside the Legion in Olds Ab.

When and where did the entire Canadian Fleet deploy and strong arm a foreign country, to help a Canadian Bank.

Off to work, will be back in the AM

Larry Strong said:
There's an "Easy 8" outside the Legion in Olds Ab.

When and where did the entire Canadian Fleet deploy and strong arm a foreign country, to help a Canadian Bank.

Off to work, will be back in the AM
Costa Rica, 1921.  HMCS Aurora, Patriot and Patrician deployed (again, virtually the entire fleet) to help the Royal Bank of Canada settle a dispute over oil concessions.

Damn I was just checking on my way out the door. Thats correct and my source was the "Legion Magazine' that came in the mail today.

A tradition of "peacekeepiong" eh! Only in the minds of the NDP

Larry Strong said:
Damn I was just checking on my way out the door. Thats correct and my source was the "Legion Magazine' that came in the mail today.

A tradition of "peacekeepiong" eh! Only in the minds of the NDP
LOL: the great myth of modern Canada "My name is Joe.....I believe in peacekeeping, not warmaking"....LOL

After WWII which province was the first to dedicate natural features like lakes hill and steams as lasting war memorials,
By naming them after the war dead from that province?
And which party was in power and who was it leader? :cdn: :cdn: :salute:

I swear that in high school we were told it was Saskatchewan, with Tommy Douglas of the CCF as Premier.

TMM said:
I swear that in high school we were told it was Saskatchewan, with Tommy Douglas of the CCF as Premier.
You right it was Tommy Douglas and CCF.He and his government named over 3,000 natural features of Saskatchewan for
the fallen of the the province.One of those was my Uncle Lance Corporal James C. Kellogg Killed in Normandy 18/07/44
he served with the Regina Rifle Regiment.He has a chain of lakes named after him
This is just another reason why Tommy Douglas is the Greatest Canadian.

Ok Since this is my frist time posting here. What was the last British and Canadian regt to carry thier colors into battle with them and what war was it?
R711 OUT

R711 said:
Ok Since this is my frist time posting here. What was the last British and Canadian regt to carry thier colors into battle with them and what war was it?
R711 OUT

Must be a trick question - unless he means to say "Colours". :D

Michael Dorosh said:
Must be a trick question - unless he means to say "Colours". :D
From Websters:
One entry found for colour.

Main Entry: col·our
Pronunciation: 'k&-l&r
chiefly British variant of COLOR 

I guess you only thought there was only one spelling of the word.

In the British Army, Colours were last carried into action by the 58th Northamptonshire Regiment during the First Anglo-Boer War at the battle of Laings Nek in January 1881. The British Secretary of War announced in The House of Commons on 29 July 1891,  “That,  in consequence of the altered formation of attack  and the extended range of fire,  the colours should not in future be taken with the battalion on active service.”
The last Canadian regiment to carry its Colours in battle was Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. The original camp Colour was hand-made by Princess Patricia and presented to the Regiment in August 1914. The Colours were carried by the Regiment throughout the First World War and in 1919, it was consecrated as the Regimental Colour, and is now located in The Hall of Honour in the Regimental Museum within the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

2023 said:
From Websters:
One entry found for colour.
Main Entry: col·our
Pronunciation: 'k&-l&r
chiefly British variant of COLOR   
I guess you only thought there was only one spelling of the word.
But the word in question wasn't "colour" but "colours". 
"colours:
n 1: a distinguishing emblem; "his tie proclaimed his school colors" [syn: colors] 2: a flag that shows its nationality [syn: colors]"
Note the "colors" is also acceptable.

vonGarvin said:
But the word in question wasn't "colour" but "colours". 
"colours:
n 1: a distinguishing emblem; "his tie proclaimed his school colors" [syn: colors] 2: a flag that shows its nationality [syn: colors]"
Note the "colors" is also acceptable.

Oh you mean Colors?

5 a : an identifying badge, pennant, or flag -- usually used in plural <a ship sailing under Swedish colors

2023....... those are the things we don't have..... cause for the Engineers to have some, they'd have to be immense and the officers required to carry em would have to be 10 feet tall.... and there is a present shortage of 10 ft tall officers.

:)

geo said:
2023....... those are the things we don't have..... cause for the Engineers to have some, they'd have to be immense and the officers required to carry em would have to be 10 feet tall.... and there is a present shortage of 10 ft tall officers.

:)

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nah.... those people glow in the dark

:warstory: :warstory: :warstory:
the thing about the 10ft tall Officer ties into an old story from the Royal Engineers
It would appear that one of Queen Victoria's sons was an officer in the RE but was teased by officers from the Guards & other Regiments about the RE not having "theirs"

The story goes that he wrote "mum" and asked.... and she asked her military advisers about "making it so", The adviser informed the Queen that if all battle honours to which the RE were entitled to was stitched onto a set of colours, it would require a Flag of monstrous proportions and an officer 10 ft tall to carry it.....

It was proposed that, in lieu of coulours, the RE would thereafter carry the single honour of "UBIQUE" (everywhere) ... to which the Queen gave her approval

NOTE: the CME "UBIQUE" should not be mustaken for the artillery "UBIQUE" which stands for "all over the place" :warstory: :)

What RCAF aircraft types operated from Alameda NAS in San Francisco Bay in the early 1960's, and why?

geo said:
nah.... those people glow in the dark

:warstory: :warstory: :warstory:
the thing about the 10ft tall Officer ties into an old story from the Royal Engineers
It would appear that one of Queen Victoria's sons was an officer in the RE but was teased by officers from the Guards & other Regiments about the RE not having "theirs"

The story goes that he wrote "mum" and asked.... and she asked her military advisers about "making it so", The adviser informed the Queen that if all battle honours to which the RE were entitled to was stitched onto a set of colours, it would require a Flag of monstrous proportions and an officer 10 ft tall to carry it.....

It was proposed that, in lieu of coulours, the RE would thereafter carry the single honour of "UBIQUE" (everywhere) ... to which the Queen gave her approval

NOTE: the CME "UBIQUE" should not be mustaken for the artillery "UBIQUE" which stands for "all over the place" :warstory: :)

Same thing applies for the Artillery, our guns are our colors/colours (just to be PC) ;D

Back