• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Are you referring to the mini-sub class "Porpoise?"

The six vessels of the Porpoise class were completed between 1932 and 1938. Three more were originally ordered but were cancelled in 1941, when the need was for much smaller boats for the Mediterranean. They were able to act as minelayers and carried fifty MkXIV mines insides the casing on top of the pressure hull. The mines were loaded onto an 'endless' chain and laid via doors in the stern. The boats of the class served in all theatres from home waters to the West Indies, Mediterranean and Far east. Five were lost in various ways, with Rorqual, deployed to the Eastern Fleet in 1944, the only survivor of the war. Among her other tasks, Rorqual managed to lay 1,284 mines during the war. Grampus was sunk by the Italian torpedo-boats Clio and Circe off Augusta 24 June 1940; Narwhal went missing off Norway in July 1940; Cachalot was rammed by the Italian torpedo-boat Papa of Cyrenaica on 4 August 1941; Seal  was damaged by a mine before surrendering to the Germans in the Kattegat/Skagerrak May 1940 - she was re-commissioned by the Germans as the UB.A, but was bombed at Kiel; Porpoise herself was bombed and sunk by Japanese aircraft in the Malacca Strait on 19 Jan 1945 - the last British boat to be lost in the war.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/chalcraft/sm/miscclass.html

A great answer muffin, but I am looking for something much less complex than a mini-sub.  Another try?

redleafjumper said:
Another try?

Ok :) Perhaps the Porppoise Single Hose underwater breathing apparatus?

Over several years of trial and development, Ted Eldred came up with a totally different scuba regulator system by using only one hose from the regulator mounted on the cylinder to feed the diver. Exhausted air escaped at a valve located on the diver’s mouthpiece, thus eliminating the second hose present in the “AQUALUNG”, which returned exhaust air to exit at the regulator on the cylinder, behind the diver’s head. He named this single hose regulator the “PORPOISE” and made frequent improvements during production years, including vacuum assist, to “deliver” air more effortlessly to the diver. Ted, together with WW2 Clearance Diver Commander Maurice Batterham, set up the Breathing Appliance Company in Melbourne, to mass produce the “PORPOISE” single-hose scuba gear, eventually winning over the Royal Australian Navy, who adopted the new “PORPOISE” scuba gear. The Australian pearling industry also shrugged off cumbersome helmet diving gear, in favour of the light-weight freedom of beautifully built “PORPOISE” hookah units.

http://www.divetheblue.net/article.php?id=1022

Hey muffin, now that's one I was not aware of - it still isn't the porpoise that I am seeking.  It is definitely water-related... 
As a hint, this device played a role in the Normandy landings.

Do you mean the bag carried by US Paratroopers?

Or do you mean the #2 Mk1 Ammo sledge as issued on Sherman, Cromwell, and Churchill?

BTW - 100th page! Do I get a prize or somthin'?

DG

Ah yes... the ammo sledge - porpoise was a common name for equipment during WW2 !
I am not familiar with the bag though.

British Porpoise Ammunition Sledge 
Details:

Concern over the need to have ample ammunition of all types available on the beaches following the landings on D-Day lead to the ingenious development of this ammunition sledge.

This 13.5 feet long shallow metal sledge had two watertight compartments and carried a varied range of ammunition which could include a mixture of either .30cal, 50cal. 7.92mm , 6pdr.,17pdr., 25pdr. 75mm, 95mm or 105mm shells.

They were towed behind most of the British and Canadian assault vehicles throughout D-Day including the Churchill AVRE's, Cromwells, Centaurs, Deep Wading Shermans Mk. III, Mk.V & Firefly Vc and the M7 Priest & Sexton SP's.

Attatched to the towing vehicle via telescopic towbars, they sat under the vehicle on the LCT's before being dragged onto the beaches and dropped above the high water line in areas already cleared by Flail Tanks. From here they were to be attatched to Halftracks for deployment, however the towing AFV often dragged them off the beaches and inland.

Jackpot!  There are many porpoises, but yes, the ammunition sledge is the correct answer.  Congrats on opening page 100.  I believe that this is the biggest thread on army.ca!

redleafjumper said:
Thanks armchair, what is the source for the manufacturer of those recoiless rifles?  I remember reading somewhere that it was Firestone, but the aluminum in the old mess tins is helping me forget where!

Here is another question:

In WW2, a device called "porpoise" played a small part in winning the war.   What was porpoise?
Page 184 The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Artillery  by Ian V.Hogg  C/W 1987 :salute: :salute:

Questions I do not know the answers too.
When did they change the name from Militia to Reserves?
Do rifle regiments still use black for there insignia?
On parade do rifle regiment form up on the  flanks?
Traditional Light Infantry had faster march pace than other Infantry is this sill true?

armchair said:
Questions I do not know the answers too.
When did they change the name from Militia to Reserves?
Do rifle regiments still use black for there insignia?
On parade do rifle regiment form up on the  flanks?
Traditional Light Infantry had faster march pace than other Infantry is this sill true?

They never changed it, All the older land Regts, are still the Militia, and the newer one's like the Comms, Air Force and Navy are called Reserve. Thats the way it was explained to me a long time ago.

after the whackoes in the US started to give the term "militia" a bad name, started to see a lot more use of the term Reserve when describing our part time troops.

Definitions
militia:
civilians trained as soldiers but not part of the regular army
organized armed forces of an area subject to a call to arms in an emergency
a group of civilians trained as soldiers who serve full time only in emergencies
A citizen army; a military organization formed by local citizens to serve in emergencies.
The part-time civilian military force used in Great Britain, Upper Canada and the USA

reserves:
armed forces that are not on active duty but can be called in an emergency

The Cdn militia has a proud history

Air reserve is very much different from the Army variety... much more like the 10/90 battalions that the infantry tried out many years ago
Comm reserve does not have the same goal or mission as the other green part timers.
Naval reserve..... couldn't tell ya.

I are still a Militia Plug and proud of it.
In Canada we still have the Militia,the few,the proud. :cdn: :salute:

advertising appears to refer to Militia as "army reserves"
Militia units being filled with reservists (aka - militia plugs) ;)

Militia was officially dropped in 1940 and reinstated, I believe, after Unification - in an "official" sense. Unofficially, it has always been "the Militia".

Up until 1940, the official titles were Permanent Active Militia (Permanent Force) and Non-Permanent Active Militia (the reserves).  In 1940 it was changed to Canadian Army (Active) and Canadian Army (Reserve).  After the war, the active force became the Canadian Army (Regular) IIRC.

After Unification the Army ceased to exist, and it became Force Mobile Command, part of the new integrated Canadian Armed Forces.  The land force reserves went back to being called "Militia" officially.

Rifle Regiments only use black insignia on ceremonial dress, other uniforms from Combat to DEU are CF standard.  They do wear black buttons and shoulder belts for dress parades, though. Can you even carry a C7 at the "trail"?  They may still do some of the rifle drill - ie "Look to your Front!" rather than "Attention", standing at ease without a word of command, etc. depending on the Regiment.

The official pace for the quick march in the CF is 120 paces to the minute and that's universal (perhaps some of the rifle regt's in the reserves have a quicker pace?).  In England the light division marches faster (140 IIRC).  While we were there with 3VP the Guards Regt kept telling us to slow down (they march around 116).  They were quite concerned to be following a Corps of Drums from a light infantry unit.

Have seen a couple of people from the Brockville Rifles march..... when not accompanied by a band - looks more like a duckwalk to the unitiated (IMHO)
a double quick march.... 140 sounds about right... though if you ask their members - they prefer the more sedate 120

ok... time for a new question..

The first Canadian casualties of the Korean war were soldiers who never got to see the battlefield. What happened to them (where and when) and what Unit did they serve with?

muffin

muffin said:
ok... time for a new question..

The first Canadian casualties of the Korean war were soldiers who never got to see the battlefield. What happened to them (where and when) and what Unit did they serve with?

muffin

Only thing I can find on Google is this, about the PPCLI, but they did see the battlefield...."On Feb. 22, the Canadians suffer their first casualties when four men are killed and one wounded in a Chinese attack on a hill simply known by its altitude in metres; 444."

Back