• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Correct, it was the Mark III that most widely saw service, at least until they were ditched in favour of Lee Enfields.

Lets not let this thread die, eh?  :warstory:

Who were the largest of the Allied Special Forces of the 2nd World War.?

P.S. How many V.C.'s were awarded with in this Force?

7th Indian Division 14th Army aka as the Chindits ( 7 Bdes of 3-4 Bns each incluidng 1 US Regiment)?

Ok follow up to that one. Which of the following nationalities/troops did not serve in the Chindits?

British,
Burmese
Gurkhas
Indians
Africans
Americans

I say Indian's also.

Heres is the Official Link for the Chindits.
As a kid I remember my dads friend Johnny Burns was a member of the 13th Kings and he was a little bit buggerd up from the war as my dad said.

http://www.chindits.info/

I have had the Honour of seeing the Battle Honours of the Kings in the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool
(King's Liverpool Regiment)
I'll post the photo I took of thier battle honour its not very clear.

Yup, both right. Sorry for the delay in posting. Ironic as the Chindits were officially drawn from the 17th Indian Division of 14th Army.

Earl, found an interesting piece of trivia re that Liverpool Regiment and the Chindits. I'll give you first crack at it and delay posting for a day or two.

Danjanou said:
Yup, both right. Sorry for the delay in posting. Ironic as the Chindits were officially drawn from the 17th Indian Division of 14th Army.

Earl, found an interesting piece of trivia re that Liverpool Regiment and the Chindits. I'll give you first crack at it and delay posting for a day or two.
We are still waiting. ;)
Oh I'll for give you as C.R.S. is setting in. ;)

Where was the only U.S. Coast Guardsman to win the Congressional Madel of Honour from?

Correct.
Also his cousin who was in the RCAF was killed close to 1 yr and a day after Doug was killed.
I know his second cousin here in Van. and just only learned of this.

Two questions:-

How many Canadian-born men have been awarded the US Medal of Honor? I define Canadian-born to include those geographical areas which are now part of Canada (for example, I count men born in Newfoundland before the colony entered Confederation).

Who is the only living Canadian-born recipient?

:salute:

Two questions:-

How many Canadian-born men have been awarded the US Medal of Honor? I define Canadian-born to include those geographical areas which are now part of Canada (for example, I count men born in Newfoundland before the colony entered Confederation).

59 Canadian-born men won the MOH:--
US Civil War 33
Indian Campaigns 8
Spanish American War 9
WW II 1
Vietnam 1
Peace time awards 9

Who is the only living Canadian-born recipient?

Peter C Lemon. Born Norwich, Ontario (just west of Toronto),   January 1950. Won the MOH 1 April 1970 in Tay Ninh Province, Vietnam. MOH presented at the White House by President Richard Nixon. Mr Lemon now lives in Colorado and is a businessman and author.

While we are on the MOH.

1) How many American Service Men have won the medal twice for the same action?

2) Which famous American General's brother won the medal twice?

Hmm, no takers. Five US Marines in WW I were awarded the Medal of Honor twice for the same action. The Marines fighting in Europe served under command of the Army and five were awarde the Medal of Honor by the Army. Not to be outdone the US Navy which is the parent corps of the Marines also awarded the men the Medal of Honor for the same action.

Ernest A. Janson      6 June 1918
Matej Kocak            18 July 1918
Louis Cukela            18 Juky 1918
John Henry Pruitt      3 October 1918
John Joseph Kelly      3 October 1918

General George Armstong Custer's younger brother Thomas Ward Custer was awarded the Medal of Honour twice during the Civil War. 3 April and 6 April 1865.

Long Range Desert Group?

Hit and run, guerrilla-style raids on German supply lines in Africa during WW2?

Slim

Actually the LRDG were more of a strategic recce IIRC. That doesn't mean they didn'y fight, as I believe they adhered to the notion of sometimes fighting to obtain intel.

They did initially transport the SAS to their objectives which were hit and runs on enemy airflields.

Back