• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Yes, we're talking 1940,  1st Division, 1st Brigade.
The Hasty P's  and 4 Fd Amb were the first two units ashore.

Cheers.

Damn! I was going to say HastyP's: I remember now that The Regiment tells the story of that fiasco.

OK-here's one: What Canadian Infantry unit was to have landed in Norway as part of the 1940 Narvik operation?

Cheers.

Not sure about Narvik, but the history of The RCR has a reference to the PPCLI and the LER being briefed as part of a the followup force going into Trondheim, but the initial landings were botched.

PBI that's what made me go with the Hasty P's, thank you Farley for making that such a memorable read that even 20 odd years later I remembered stuff.

Right you are Mike O: the PPCLI were in Scotland ready to embark, but the op was called off. I used the term "Narvik" because that term is sometimes used to describe the entire campaign in North Norway. When we were on AMF(L) in 1992(?) we did a battlefield tour of the operations in the vicinity of Bardufoss-Narvik: very interesting. Cheers.

The 5th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment,was converted and redesignated as what and what is their name to day?

What is the first recorded use of a motorcycle for military message delivery?

Bill Smy said:
What is the first recorded use of a motorcycle for military message delivery?

The first recorded use of a motorcycle for military message delivery occurred on 21 June 1913 when the General Officer Commanding, 2nd Division wrote to the Secretary Militia Council that Private T. Dawley, 44th Regiment (Lincoln and Welland), had been selected to serve as an orderly at Niagara-On-The-Lake Camp Headquarters:

"for the reason that he brought to the camp with him his motorcycle. He rendered very efficient service, and did work which would have taken two mounted (cavalry) orderlies to perform.
I therefore recommend that authority be granted for him to be paid the sum of $1.25 per diem (which is the rate of horse allowance) to recompense him for the use of his motorcycle in the public service.

Repairs to the amount of $4.50 for piston and compensating rings, stand and frame stud, and time fitting were necessary. I recommend that this sum also be paid"

Private Dawley received a total of $17.00.

Ledgand has it that it was first made by a Junior Canadian Staff Officer and his driver taking cover in a bar.  It was made with what was on hand.  Staff Officers in WW1 were mostly transported about in motorcycle sidecars, hence the name.

"Ingedients and Proportions are very important with this drink. Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice are crtical to the Quality of the final product. Add the Brandy, Cointreau, and lemon juice to a shaker with ice, shake well, and strain into a well chilled cocktail glass. You can also wet the rim of the glass with the wedge of lemon, then coat the rim with sugar. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel."

Spr.Earl said:
The first recorded use of a motorcycle for military message delivery occurred on 21 June 1913 when the General Officer Commanding, 2nd Division wrote to the Secretary Militia Council that Private T. Dawley, 44th Regiment (Lincoln and Welland), had been selected to serve as an orderly at Niagara-On-The-Lake Camp Headquarters:

"for the reason that he brought to the camp with him his motorcycle. He rendered very efficient service, and did work which would have taken two mounted (cavalry) orderlies to perform.
I therefore recommend that authority be granted for him to be paid the sum of $1.25 per diem (which is the rate of horse allowance) to recompense him for the use of his motorcycle in the public service.

Repairs to the amount of $4.50 for piston and compensating rings, stand and frame stud, and time fitting were necessary. I recommend that this sum also be paid"

Private Dawley received a total of $17.00.

Correct. As usual.

Spr.Earl said:
The 5th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment,was converted and redesignated as what and what is their name to day?

Today they are the British Columbia Dragoons.

...Preparations for retraining as a mechanised unit were conducted throughout the early period of 1940 and culminated in the formation of the 5th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment (BCD). Subsequently, the unit was re-designated the 9th Canadian Armoured Regiment (BCD). As such it continued its training in Canada and England with tanks. In 1944, the Regiment deployed to Italy and played a prominent part in the advance north. In February 1945 the BCD were re-deployed to Northwest Europe with 2nd Canadian Corps and took part in the liberation of the Netherlands. After a period of garrison duty in Europe the Regiment was repatriated to Canada in 1946 and resumed the status of a Reserve armoured regiment.

http://www.army.dnd.ca/39CBG_HQ/bcd.htm

When I was a young lad before WW II a chum of mine's Father used to regale us with exploits of daring do with his motor cycle during the Boer War. Maybe the operative word is Recorded or maybe it was just an old soldier's BS.

Art,

A search of the rootsweb turned this up:

a. The first successful motorized bicycle was built in France 1901, and
British and US manufacturers first produced motorbikes in1903. So motor
cycles could not have been used on operations during the Second Boer War of
1899 - 1902.

c. The British Army had made some experiments with bicycles but they were
not successful in South Africa. The horse was the main means of transport,
including the carriage of messages and despatches.

Also this:

Bike riders in the Boer war.

Both sides used bike riders in very small numbers -- There is some good
background on a it
Military History Journal - Vol 4 No 1
BICYCLES IN THE ANGLO-BOER WAR OF 1899-1902
by D.R. Maree @ http://rapidttp.com/milhist/vol041dm.html

Here's a interesting one, Who said the following ?

"...of course the people don't want war.... But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship ...the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country"

Back