• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

That would be the shortest man, when sizing in single rank, right?

;D

Tom

Is this a reference to a specific individual at a specific event, or is it a reference to a particular tactical role?

For example, the left hand man in a phalanx (hoplites or other ancient infantry) is the one who is responsible for shielding the left flank.  In some formations left handed soldiers were chosen for that position so that they could fight to defend that flank. 

This is a tough one, I have even started cracking into World War One and Two regimental histories...

Hmmm, difficult to offer a clue without giving it all away.

British Army, not specific to a particular Regiment or individual.

Over 24 hours without even a new guess, I figured someone would at least get this one with a SWAG:

LEFT-HAND MAN OF THE LINE: A name sometimes jestingly used for the sentry on the last post westward of the British line in Flanders. It is related that on one occasion, when the British Commander-in-Chief visited the locality, he asked casually of an astonished soldier if he was aware that he was the left hand man of the extreme left of the British line. The information left the man quite unimpressed, and after the officers had gone a sergeant took it on himself to explain. "You 'eard wot ' Aig said ? Well, it means that if 'e gave the order' Right wheel! ' you'd go on runnin' for the rest of yer blinkin' life!"  - Edward Fraser and John Gibbons, Soldier and Sailor Words and Phrases, 1925

How did the term "Bomber" come into use, what term wwas previously used, and who settled the dispute to dictate that "Bomber" replaced it?

And a wee clue for context:

"... At this juncture Lieut. PENNIMAN, finding himself alone and unable to find any other fit men near him, proceeded to a point about R.29.a.8.5. where the Regimental Bombers, together with the P.P.C.L.I. were bombing up the ZOLLERN GRABEN.  Here I understand the machine gun which had done considerable damage to us was put out of action by our bombs. ...  - extract from CEF War Diary of The RCR, September 1916

Bombers were those soldiers who carried grenades or bombs for assaulting enemy positions.  While your reference is a first war one the acitivity is much older.  The Grenadiers of the old line regiments were also bombers.

redleafjumper said:
Bombers were those soldiers who carried grenades or bombs for assaulting enemy positions.  While your reference is a first war one the acitivity is much older.  The Grenadiers of the old line regiments were also bombers.

Ah, but what decision was made to differentiate mere Bombers from Grenadiers, and what prompted the requirement for such a decision? And who was involved in the final decision?

redleafjumper said:
What is the difference between a pelisse and a dolman and what are they?

The pelisse and dolman were heavily braided parts of hussar's flamboyant outfit. The pelisse was worn over the dolman in cooler weather, while during a warm day only the dolman was used.

The pelisse and dolman were heavily braided parts of hussar's flamboyant outfit. The pelisse was worn over the dolman in cooler weather, while during a warm day only the dolman was used.

Do you still have yours, rg??  ;)

The dolman and pelisse answers were fine.  The outstanding answers are the origin of the change from the grenadier company to the bombers.

Trench raiding in the first war dictated a change of tactic from the line grenadier company to raiding parties who would sneak up on enemy trenches, lob in a few bombs and take off.  It couldn't be just one company in a battalion that was responsible for throwing bombs.  The first instance that I am aware of is the 5th Battalion 1st Canadian Division at Ploegstreet.  ("Trench Raiding" in A Rifleman Went to War, by H.W. McBride.)  The trench mortar was also a handy bomb thrower and there were many innovative people who were making their own.  As to who had the idea, you've got me so far.

Keeping in mind that battalion and brigade organizations evolved throughout the war, sections of Bombers were part of a Battalion's establishment, and they would be assigned to Companies, or given specific tasks in their own section organizations. From my readings thus far of the War Diary of The RCR (I'm up to early 1917), their employment seemed to be integrated within the company assignments, but there was also grenade and bombing training for the rest of the battalions' soldiers as well, and other men designated for rifle grenades. The weapons and crews of Trench Mortars and Stokes Guns were attached from the Brigade Trench Mortar Company.

And as for the formalization of the term during the First World War:

BOMBER: How the term "bomber" came to be officially adopted in the War is curious. When, after the first Battle of Ypres, hand-grenades came into general employment, the parties of men trained to use them--a certain number in each battalion--were given the name of "grenadiers." The Grenadier Guards objected, claiming that they had a prescriptive right exclusively to the name, as having been specially conferred on them after Waterloo to commemorate their part in over-throwing Napoleon's Grenadiers of the Guard. The Guards, says Sir Frederick Ponsonby, in his History of the Grenadiers in the War, were "much perturbed", considering it as "an infringement of their privileges and misleading." The Colonel in command of the First Battalion Grenadier Guards protested to the War Office against the "usurpation". After a protracted controversy a final appeal was made to the King, and in May, 1916, it was officially announced that "at His Majesty's expressed wish the word 'Bomber' should be universally substituted for 'Grenadier' ". - Edward Fraser and John Gibbons, Soldier and Sailor Words and Phrases, 1925

Thanks Michael, an illuminating and interesting history of the bomber role.  Incidentally, I was kicking myself for not thinking of the left hand man answer.  Here's one to ponder:

Who was the leader of the first British Military Mission to Tito and his partisan army?

Back