• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about joining as a Medic

• Thread starter Thread starter desjardins
  • Start date Start date
Hey RogueMedic thanks for your reply!  Wow, seems like quite a journey.  Thanks for sharing your experiences as it has definitely helped me.  I have only been thinking about Medic as a "backup" but my heart is in firefighting and that's where it will stay...I will wait and wait and wait if I have to. 

Oh yeah, if you really wanna be a Paramedic in Ontario you just have to set aside 52 weeks and about $20k and do the PCP paramedic course at a private school and then you'll be done.  That is, if you can afford the time and money....plus with your experience the program should be a breeze.

Thanks again!

CosmoK,

My EMS experience is mostly western Canada, but here I know some systems look for dual certified guys for the fire department, so your 1001 and then your PCP or ACP depending on how they staff.  So the medic idea could be a backup plan as well as a way to bolster you chances of getting on with a department full time.

As for the PCP option there are more options than just Ontario.  PCP courses seem to be all over the place from a few months to over a year, but as long as they have CMA approval that should help moving between Provinces.  The JI is not a bad. NAIT and SAIT in Alberta are ok.

'A paramedic who has completed a paramedic training program accredited by the CMA at the Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) or Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) level and holds a license or certification as a PCP or ACP from a recognized province or territory can apply for AIT Equivalency.'

The quote is from the Ontario Paramedic Association web site.  Sadly, I have to add, that the only 100% way to ensure you can work in a Province is by taking your training there.  I wish EMS could get it's xenophobic head out of it's ass in this respect.  You could midigate this by seeking prior appoval before taking a out of Province program.

If you are joining just to be a paramedic....Don't.

We do far more then that.  If you come to Fd Amb in Petawawa, you'll be too busy to take the courses.

herseyjh said:
CosmoK,

My EMS experience is mostly western Canada, but here I know some systems look for dual certified guys for the fire department, so your 1001 and then your PCP or ACP depending on how they staff.  So the medic idea could be a backup plan as well as a way to bolster you chances of getting on with a department full time.

As for the PCP option there are more options than just Ontario.  PCP courses seem to be all over the place from a few months to over a year, but as long as they have CMA approval that should help moving between Provinces.  The JI is not a bad. NAIT and SAIT in Alberta are ok.

'A paramedic who has completed a paramedic training program accredited by the CMA at the Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) or Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) level and holds a license or certification as a PCP or ACP from a recognized province or territory can apply for AIT Equivalency.'

The quote is from the Ontario Paramedic Association web site.  Sadly, I have to add, that the only 100% way to ensure you can work in a Province is by taking your training there.  I wish EMS could get it's xenophobic head out of it's *** in this respect.  You could midigate this by seeking prior appoval before taking a out of Province program.

The problem with Ontario is regardless of whether you have PCP or ACP, the Ministry of Health requires you to have your AEMCA designation which is something else entirely, and requires over 1000 hrs of field experience  (ride alongs).  Unfortuantely, as I think Armymedic or Old Medic pointed out in another thread, the CF Medical Technician training while providing you with PCP designation, does not provide the field experience required for an AEMCA designation.

Hey Armymedic..

What's it like to be a medic these days compared to 3 years ago?  Has much changed since then?  I spent my time in 1 Fd Amb and I know Petawawa is different (we almost took DART from you guys  ;) ) and I would like to know what the trade is like now.  Did you ever do time in 1 Fd Amb?

Later.

I spent 6 1/2 years in 1 Fd Amb from 89-95 - hope it's improved some.  Having said that, after being attached to 2 Fd Amb for 3 months shortly thereafter, I rarely run 1 Fd Amb down any more.

MM

Are you Reg F or Res F?

You show up in Borden, they teach you medical stuff...then you go to Chilliwack, they show you more medical stuff, and then you are done.

I have a question for you Armymedic, now I know that while the reg force Med Tech training qualifies one as a PCP but not an Ontario AEMCA, would it be possible to complete the necessary requirments (the clinicaly and ride out portions mainly) at a community college (Loyalist in bancroft) if they offer the paramedic program on a part-time basis (Friday nights, Sat and/or Sunday).  Seeing as how all that would be needed is the clinical/ride-out hours and not much else (assuming one is successly in getting Loyalist to accept all the training completed at JIBC), I think this would be possible assuming you guys at 2 Fd Amb get most weekends off.  Any info/thoughts on this idea that you can provide would be helpful.

Yes it is possible.

AFIK, Loyalist in Bancroft does not accept the JIBC programs, so you have to do the majority of their part time program.

You need 400 hrs ridealong, plus clinical rotations plus doing the exams. It is allot of time and money when you do not have a whole bunch of either. We just don't get the volume of calls the make it worthwhile, and there is not a whole bunch of spots avail here either.

I only know of one person who has done that here in Pet, and it took her 4 yrs to complete the partial course she needed to complete. We are just too busy here to do that. More often the Francophone medics trained in Que, go to Ottawa/Hull and work, but again hard when we have been deploying people ever 12-18 months.

Not to mention Bancroft is 2+ hours away down Hwy 60, which isn't exactly the 401.

Hey Hatchetman,

If you wanna be a civvie medic in Ontario then just take either the 2 year community college program, the Loyalist part time program, or the 52 week CTS school program (private) or the CTC 16 month program (private).  That way you won't have any worries.  Sure you'll have to pay out of your pocket and take the time to do it, but if that's your goal I would get it done...the jobs ARE starting to dry up.

You'll have a crapload of issues to deal with by trying to get your A-EMCA by using the JIBC program and like Armymedic said, it will take YEARS and you'll end up doing most of the Ontario program anyway.

All depends what you want...military life (6 year contract) or civvie life...

Armymedic said:
Yes it is possible.

AFIK, Loyalist in Bancroft does not accept the JIBC programs, so you have to do the majority of their part time program.

You need 400 hrs ridealong, plus clinical rotations plus doing the exams. It is allot of time and money when you do not have a whole bunch of either. We just don't get the volume of calls the make it worthwhile, and there is not a whole bunch of spots avail here either.

I only know of one person who has done that here in Pet, and it took her 4 yrs to complete the partial course she needed to complete. We are just too busy here to do that. More often the Francophone medics trained in Que, go to Ottawa/Hull and work, but again hard when we have been deploying people ever 12-18 months.

Not to mention Bancroft is 2+ hours away down Hwy 60, which isn't exactly the 401.

Thanks for the info, it looked like a good idea on paper and in my head.

CosmoK said:
Hey Hatchetman,

If you wanna be a civvie medic in Ontario then just take either the 2 year community college program, the Loyalist part time program, or the 52 week CTS school program (private) or the CTC 16 month program (private).  That way you won't have any worries.  Sure you'll have to pay out of your pocket and take the time to do it, but if that's your goal I would get it done...the jobs ARE starting to dry up.

You'll have a crapload of issues to deal with by trying to get your A-EMCA by using the JIBC program and like Armymedic said, it will take YEARS and you'll end up doing most of the Ontario program anyway.

All depends what you want...military life (6 year contract) or civvie life...

I never said I wanted to be a civvie medic, and I already know what I have to do to become one.  I was interested in whether this loyalist thing would work, because I don't read crystal balls, and I wanted to make sure if something happened that cut short an army career, I wouldn't be stuck spinning my wheels, I would have an out so to speak.

How do CF Med Tech qualification flow with Alberta ACP standards?

Inspir said:
How do CF Med Tech qualification flow with Alberta ACP standards?

Nevermind, found it:

Apprentice Medical Assistant (QL3 and/or 711) and Journeyman Medical Assistant (QL5 and/or737) are acceptable at the EMT level with documented field ambulance experience.

Levels QL3 Medic, OQ5A Medic and QL5A Medic are acceptable at the EMT level.

Graduates prior to the new programs listed above must be at the TQ5A Medic level with
documented field ambulance experience.

http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/acp_downloads/registration/approvedprog.pdf

No ACP equivalent :(

Inspir said:
Nevermind, found it:

Apprentice Medical Assistant (QL3 and/or 711) and Journeyman Medical Assistant (QL5 and/or737) are acceptable at the EMT level with documented field ambulance experience.

Levels QL3 Medic, OQ5A Medic and QL5A Medic are acceptable at the EMT level.

Graduates prior to the new programs listed above must be at the TQ5A Medic level with
documented field ambulance experience.

http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/acp_downloads/registration/approvedprog.pdf

No ACP equivalent :(

And it looks like you would still need to do ride outs with the local EMS.

I forget what the fees are to apply for EMT level.  I think it is about $200 give or take, plus then you have to register then write the provincial exam.  Still cheaper then doing an EMT and a BLS practicum, but unless you are looking for the ACP, or EMT-P (as Alberta calls it), working as a EMT in Alberta is the fastest way to go broke and get pissed off all at the same time.  BC, on the other hand hires PCPs (casual mind you) but still a better start that you will find in Alberta.

I know its been asked before about why you joined the CF in general but I could not find a thread that asked why you joined the medical branch over others. I feel more compelled to join as a med tech than say a infantry solider, but i have my reasons and was wondering what yours were?

After 14 years in the Artillery, I was somewhat physically and mentally broken, so I thought I might just as well work with those who were keeping me alive and my screws tightened.

sorry another component to the question i meant to add - why did you guys who chose med tech do so over the civvie equivalent?

Back