• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about joining as a Medic

• Thread starter Thread starter desjardins
  • Start date Start date
medicineman said:
Last I heard they were looking at it - have yet to see it though.

Don't care - just finished my orals yesterday and passed.  CAPA on Monday.  Grad Tuesday.

MM

Congrats!!!

Found out I'm getting my CD1 on parade - surprised me when they said I was getting a medal.  Thought "WOOHOOO - my Haiti gong finally!!", but alas, another 10 years undetected crime.  Timereally flies when you're nearing the end of things eh?

MM

I was wondering if any reg force medics with accredited (meaning you can work for the provincial ambulance system) PCP or ACP work casual for an EMS system to keep up/hone there pre-hospital care skills?

I know/knew several that used to - Ontario, New Brunswick and some in Alberta.  Just have to make sure you know your schedule at your real job and that they're aware you're doing it.  Oh yeah, some have to do it as part of their maintenance of skills and competency.

MM

I am just in the process of going through the hoops to get into CF Regular Forces as a Med Tech. I am currently a RN (for 15 years).  The reason I am choosing the CF is because of challenge, opportunity and the organization. The reason I am choosing the CF Med Tech is because I believe I will be given exposure to extreme circumstances I couldn't even dream of otherwise, the education will roll with the experience and I also believe I can proudly be a Professional Soldier at the same time. 
Thank you for this site as it continues to answer questions that come up.

"given exposure to extreme circumstances"  This is also available to Nurses in the CF.  (As extreme as inside the wire in Afghanistan can be classified)  Those that have returned speak very highly of the experience they have undergone.  Consider both options I would suggest.

warren_t said:
I am just in the process of going through the hoops to get into CF Regular Forces as a Med Tech. I am currently a RN (for 15 years).  The reason I am choosing the CF is because of challenge, opportunity and the organization. The reason I am choosing the CF Med Tech is because I believe I will be given exposure to extreme circumstances I couldn't even dream of otherwise, the education will roll with the experience and I also believe I can proudly be a Professional Soldier at the same time. 
Thank you for this site as it continues to answer questions that come up.

If you have been an RN for 15 years I think you might find the Med Tech route rather frustrating as to the limit to the scope of practice you will be able to perform during your first few years of service.  RNs and NPs have been satsified with their exposure to extreme circumstances such as Disaster relief in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Honduras.  As for a challenge try becoming a critical care nurse and deploy to the Role 3 hospital in Kandahar.

I wish to end my healthcare career as a Paramedic. The path from Medical Technician to a Flight Paramedic is challenging. ?Physician's Assistant. The Profession of Arms is equally important to me.
My entry to practice Nursing was in fact a diploma. Prior to becoming a RN, I was a LPN. Prior to this I studied Physical and Health Education and Respiratory Technology. 
Thank you for your input.

warren_t said:
I wish to end my healthcare career as a Paramedic. The path from Medical Technician to a Flight Paramedic is challenging. ?Physician's Assistant. The Profession of Arms is equally important to me.
I am confused as to what you are saying here.

If you want to be a paramedic, stay out of the regular force. If you want to be a a flight parmedic, thats a specialty subtrade withing Med Tech, one where only few lucky and skilled do while emplyed in places like Afghanistan. Finally, PAs while clinicians are still WOs and intimately involved in thier shipboard or army duties.

The flight paramedic line of work in Afghanistan is limited to strategic evacuation out of KAF or Bagram. The thrill of the combat MedEvac is a rare blip on the Afghan radar until we get some rotary platforms of our own.

hello
i am currently a biomedical science student, first year student in a Canadian university.
i have always wanted to join the forces and become a medic.  i am planning to apply for ROTP this year, however there are few questions that are needed to be answered before i hand in my paperwork.

1. would i be pulled out during my school days? if yes for how long. i know that there is a training during the summer.
2. i know that for ROTP you have to serve 5 yrs upon graduation, but what if i want to go to med school?
3. what other choices do i have with my science degree?
4. also, is there a spot reserved in med school for those is ROTP?

thank you

I can't offer all the answers you are looking for but I can tell you that Medic is an NCM trade, not an officer trade. Therefore you do not require a degree and you would not be joining under ROTP if you wanted to be a Medic. If you want to go officer you can look at being a Nurse, doctor, etc as those require the relevant degrees.

Gshim12 do a SEARCH! You did NOT do a search because if you did the questions would've been answered already. Over, and over again!

Back