• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

kratz said:
Advances in DNA sequencing should be far enough advanced to produce that 20% female WO by 2017.  :D
Well I have known some that could scream like a little girl.  >:D

The expressions of rapture I viewed on the faces of the other PO's at the news of more medals being found.  It was being like a fox in a hen house, sheer bliss.  :nod:  Sigh, my day is complete.

So we nominated twenty - we have a unit of near 280 on paper.

We got SEVEN - now Bde and Area want more nominations.  :facepalm:

Who led this clusterf**k?

We followed the rules. All our nominations were IAW the directions.

All I can say is that at my unit, out of the 15 that got the medal, 10 were pers who don't show up, who don't do their job, and don't have a medal yet. This is a reserve unit, The Old Boys Club has shown its colors again. So.. The Sgt's and O's who don't look so flashy on parade, now have a medal pinned to their chest to try and make them look better. But Its just a laughing point.

There were members who got it, and deserved it. I Congratulate you all, and I'm sorry that you get bundled in with the inept of the unit.

The opinion at my unit is... Its a joke medal. Way to go for ruining a moment for those who did deserve it.

sorry for the spelling  ::)

Well, here is the new low standard for the QDJM: two radio journalists (Lowell Green and Steve Madely, talk show hosts on Ottawa radio station CRA) get the medal from Conservative M.P. and Minister Gordon O'Connor and Canadian Senator Colin Kenny. In my opinion a real journalist, even one who has never read his craft guild's ethical guidelines, would never accept a medal from a politician's allotment; in fairness, Mr Madely's medal was awarded for his work with the Ottawa Hospital's Suicide Prevention Network.

I am not sure if those class lower than the (at least one ) persons in prison getting it...

Bzzliteyr said:
I am not sure if those class lower than the (at least one ) persons in prison getting it...

So Omar did get one. Now I know where my NDP MP's allotment went.  8)

E.R. Campbell said:
Well, here is the new low standard for the QDJM: two radio journalists (Lowell Green and Steve Madely, talk show hosts on Ottawa radio station CRA) get the medal from Conservative M.P. and Minister Gordon O'Connor and Canadian Senator Colin Kenny. In my opinion a real journalist, even one who has never read his craft guild's ethical guidelines, would never accept a medal from a politician's allotment; in fairness, Mr Madely's medal was awarded for his work with the Ottawa Hospital's Suicide Prevention Network.
I hardly think those two qualify as the "new low" by any stretch of the imagination.  They both have been very active in the Ottawa community for years and I think are deserving.  Should everyone with any sort of political or media ties of any sort reject the medal, which in most cases is in recognition of "community service" from some kind of percieved ethical standpoint?

Hotwire said:
All I can say is that at my unit, out of the 15 that got the medal, 10 were pers who don't show up, who don't do their job, and don't have a medal yet. This is a reserve unit, The Old Boys Club has shown its colors again. So.. The Sgt's and O's who don't look so flashy on parade, now have a medal pinned to their chest to try and make them look better. But Its just a laughing point.

There were members who got it, and deserved it. I Congratulate you all, and I'm sorry that you get bundled in with the inept of the unit.

The opinion at my unit is... Its a joke medal. Way to go for ruining a moment for those who did deserve it.

sorry for the spelling  ::)
I had the news broken to me that my "(former) unit bladed me" and a QJDM had showed up in the mail with my name on it.  Take it or leave it, but that is pretty much how the medal is perceived by many members.

When word got around of  the new nominations a lot of people said "PLEASE, don't let me be nominated" while a small number secretely rubbed their greedy palms in glee.

DirtyDog said:
I had the news broken to me that my "(former) unit bladed me" and a QJDM had showed up in the mail with my name on it.  Take it or leave it, but that is pretty much how the medal is perceived by many members.

When word got around of  the new nominations a lot of people said "PLEASE, don't let me be nominated" while a small number secretely rubbed their greedy palms in glee.

Interesting. While we had no members who had fallen from grace per the deselection instruction, we did have several posted in or out. Just a simple case of sending the medal to the gaining unit. I'd question the veracity of your source.

From my unit there was One Capt who has a tour does a ton of charity work and did a really good job in a hard situation as AO for a family that had a son killed in Afghanistan. Three WO (all of which explicitly told the chain of command not to nominate them) all have multiple tours and volunteer their time for numerous things. 2 Mcpls 3 Cpl 1 Trp all of which do a lot of volunteer work in their local comunity.

For all it's faults I still like the spirit of this medal (at least in so far as it pertains to the CF)
The ability for the chain of command to recognize deserving individuals. If done right even nominating someone for this medal should be an accolade.

The politics of awarding this medal to civilians associated with questionable backgrounds (in prison, anti abortion, anti freedom loving) really detracts from it in my opinion.

ObedientiaZelum said:
For all it's faults I still like the spirit of this medal (at least in so far as it pertains to the CF)
I agree. While I still believe it to be unnecessary bling, the CF tried* to implement its issuance in a much better way than previous Jubilee medals.

* But even in stating it be merit-based, they demeaned it by insisting on quotas.  ::)

dapaterson said:
Well, there will no doubt be a "Canada 150" medal in 2017, so I'm certain lessons learned here will be applied to that one.

Funny never pictured you as that much of a naive optomist. 8)

Journeyman said:
I agree. While I still believe it to be unnecessary bling, the CF tried* to implement its issuance in a much better way than previous Jubilee medals.

* But even in stating it be merit-based, they demeaned it by insisting on quotas.  ::)

And, yet again, see management vs. leading/commanding/etc. The CF leaders knew what to do - the right thing, but the DND managers didn't know how to do the right thing in the right way, they felt a compulsion to "situate the appreciation."

E.R. Campbell said:
And, yet again, see management vs. leading/commanding/etc. The CF leaders knew what to do - the right thing, but the DND managers didn't know how to do the right thing in the right way, they felt a compulsion to "situate the appreciation."

Honours and Awards are dominated by uniformed personnel (or retired uniformed personnel who, at times, forget they are no longer in uniform).  Thus, the failing is of CF managers, not DND managers.

Hotwire:
All I can say is that at my unit, out of the 15 that got the medal. .........This is a Reserve unit.

I find it hard to believe that fifteen were allocated to a Reserve unit under any circumstance. Basing this on being around the Reserves from 1962 to 2007 and seen the allocation of all the other medals.

dapaterson said:
Honours and Awards are dominated by uniformed personnel (or retired uniformed personnel who, at times, forget they are no longer in uniform).  Thus, the failing is of CF managers, not DND managers.

Except that the social engineering mentality that makes quotas seem appropriate infests DND and, indeed, all of government. My guess is that ADM (Public Affairs) had quiet words with the VCDS, or whoever, at the start of the process, ensuring that the party line was understood.

Rifleman62 said:
Hotwire:
I find it hard to believe that fifteen were allocated to a Reserve unit under any circumstance. Basing this on being around the Reserves from 1962 to 2007 and seen the allocation of all the other medals.

We had about twelve.  But many more received it from other scources, Brigade, Class B employers , civy side.  easily 20 people from my unit have received it.  Just not all from our allocation.  Most if not all were well deserving members.

E.R. Campbell said:
Except that the social engineering mentality that makes quotas seem appropriate infests DND and, indeed, all of government. My guess is that ADM (Public Affairs) had quiet words with the VCDS, or whoever, at the start of the process, ensuring that the party line was understood.

I think we're arguing at cross-purposes.  I do not deny the agendas/mentality of some within DND and the larger public service; but even if the VCDS or others were advised in advance, it was ultimately "leaders" of the CF who issued those orders - those leaders/managers/whatever we wish to call them are fro mthe CF, and must be held accountable and responsible for the orders they issued - to excuse a 3* because an AS-3 somewhere wrote a briefing note is absurd.

dapaterson said:
I think we're arguing at cross-purposes.  I do not deny the agendas/mentality of some within DND and the larger public service; but even if the VCDS or others were advised in advance, it was ultimately "leaders" of the CF who issued those orders - those leaders/managers/whatever we wish to call them are fro mthe CF, and must be held accountable and responsible for the orders they issued - to excuse a 3* because an AS-3 somewhere wrote a briefing note is absurd.

:rofl:

Back