• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Honestly I'm not sure how many were alotted to us, there's 11 on Monday.  Perhaps there were others.  There was a pre game show some weeks past wherein the Adm gave out a bunch in a big dog and pony show.  We might have had some from here who were in that. 

Past the initial throwing names/stories into the ring for the bun toss I have tuned the whole evolution out.  The two subordinates I nominated were posted out months ago and I honestly don't know if they even survived the first few winnowings.  That whole panic stations was wayyyy back in the spring/late winter.

Can't wait to see what sort of a train wreck fiasco will come in 17 for the Canada 150 love fest.

jollyjacktar said:
Honestly I'm not sure how many were alotted to us, there's 11 on Monday.  Perhaps there were others.  There was a pre game show some weeks past wherein the Adm gave out a bunch in a big dog and pony show.  We might have had some from here who were in that. 

Past the initial throwing names/stories into the ring for the bun toss I have tuned the whole evolution out.  The two subordinates I nominated were posted out months ago and I honestly don't know if they even survived the first few winnowings.  That whole panic stations was wayyyy back in the spring/late winter.

Can't wait to see what sort of a train wreck fiasco will come in 17 for the Canada 150 love fest.

Yeah... no nomination process that I know of at my unit, no board, and an awful lot of senior NCO's and a small number of officers with a lot of time in rank getting it.  Not that the mbrs at my unit who got it arn't necessarily deserving (ok some of them actually aren't IMO), but it's more unfortunate that IMO, many of the junior guys at the unit who've done a lot to help the unit and fit the criteria of the original msg were overlooked.  That and it doesn't appear to me and many mbrs of my unit that a due process of selection was followed IAW the msg.

But in the end, no use in rocking the boat especially with the senior leadership over this.  Its a trinket and people doing the real work for the Navy don't need a medal to prove their worth.  :-\

jollyjacktar said:

Sooner. The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medals will be coming out in 10 years. These types of medals aren't going anywhere, so I hope we figure out a consistent method of awarding them.

And, although I mean no ill-wishes to Her Majesty, in the next 15 years a King Charles Coronation Medal.

MC

It amazing how much emotion medals can stir up, especially the commemorative variety. The QDJM saga isn't new and there's no shortage of opinions relating to the distro of the QSJM (which was basically the COs discretion?) the the QGJM (which relied on a time in rank excel spreadsheet algorithm?) to the QDJM now (which relied upon the CoC identifying and supporting a particular number of applications at each rank level.) ....and then there's the Centennial and 125 medals, Sask and Alberta 100 anniversary of confederation medals that have similar distro.

No matter how they decide to award these medals, there will always be haters. Even the "super generous 5-year UK prerequisite" has it flaws.

I actually agreed with how the QDJM were distributed within the CF, as long as units follow the guidelines. At my unit, I totally agree with 9/10ths of the nominees as these people truly are top performers, involved in other stuff on the base and don't shy away from challenges. But people will be overlooked, especially if they were away on tour and out of the limelight of their home unit.

For something we wear just a handful of times per year, it certainly gets peoples' pulse racing. Distribution of medals is never going to appease everyone. From the guy who does the 30-day inside the wire TAV to KAF to the combat arms soldier that does 6month on patrol just to end up with the same medal, to the sentiments relating to the C.D., to bravery/valour decorations, the system isnt perfect, but the Canadian honour system is one of the better ones out there.

eliminator said:
It amazing how much emotion medals can stir up, especially the commemorative variety. The QDJM saga isn't new and there's no shortage of opinions relating to the distro of the QSJM (which was basically the COs discretion?) the the QGJM (which relied on a time in rank excel spreadsheet algorithm?) to the QDJM now (which relied upon the CoC identifying and supporting a particular number of applications at each rank level.) ....and then there's the Centennial and 125 medals, Sask and Alberta 100 anniversary of confederation medals that have similar distro.

No matter how they decide to award these medals, there will always be haters. Even the "super generous 5-year UK prerequisite" has it flaws.

I actually agreed with how the QDJM were distributed within the CF, as long as units follow the guidelines. At my unit, I totally agree with 9/10ths of the nominees as these people truly are top performers, involved in other stuff on the base and don't shy away from challenges. But people will be overlooked, especially if they were away on tour and out of the limelight of their home unit.

For something we wear just a handful of times per year, it certainly gets peoples' pulse racing. Distribution of medals is never going to appease everyone. From the guy who does the 30-day inside the wire TAV to KAF to the combat arms soldier that does 6month on patrol just to end up with the same medal, to the sentiments relating to the C.D., to bravery/valour decorations, the system isnt perfect, but the Canadian honour system is one of the better ones out there.

Great post!  If I knew how to send milpoints 300 would be inbound to you!

MedCorps said:
And, although I mean no ill-wishes to Her Majesty, in the next 15 years a King Charles Coronation Medal.

MC

But it will be a cost issue, since those of you still in the service (except the navy) will have to change out cap badges which have the "Queen's Crown".

cupper said:
will have to change out cap badges which have the "Queen's Crown".

There is no "Queen's crown" that will need to be replaced. The crown on our ranks and badges is the St-Edward's crown and is the same regardless of the Gender of the monarch. It is the crown used for coronation and is never altered.

The British army ranks and badges use, IIRC, the Queen victoria version of the imperial state crown (this is the "working" crown. Queen Victoria did not like the imperial state crown as it was too heavy and she commissioned her own in 1870). It is rebuilt for each successive monarch. 

The whole "King vs Queen crown" argument is a fallacy.

Halifax Tar said:
Great post!  If I knew how to send milpoints 300 would be inbound to you!

Click "Rate Post" under their name on the left side.

CDN Aviator said:
There is no "Queen's crown" that will need to be replaced. The crown on our ranks and badges is the St-Edward's crown and is the same regardless of the Gender of the monarch. It is the crown used for coronation and is never altered.

The British army ranks and badges use, IIRC, the Queen victoria version of the imperial state crown (this is the "working" crown. Queen Victoria did not like the imperial state crown as it was too heavy and she commissioned her own in 1870). It is rebuilt for each successive monarch. 

The whole "King vs Queen crown" argument is a fallacy.

The things I learn on Army.ca... thanks!

Introduction of St. Edwards Crown
Replacement of the Tudor Crown.
At the beginning of each reign a new Royal Cypher is designed. The Tudor Crown was first used with the Royal Cypher of King Edward VII, and also became the standard pattern representational crown wherever a Royal Crown was required. The same Tudor Crown surmounted the Royal Cyphers of Kings George V, Edward VIII, and George VI, and there was no reason why it should not have been used in 1952. Indeed, some copies were made with EiiR surmounted by a Tudor Crown. However Sir George Bellew, Garter King of Arms, persuaded the Royal Mint Advisory Committee, and the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals, that it would be more appropriate if the crown surmounting the Royal Cypher was a representation of the actual Crown of England, rather than a representation of a crown that did not actually exist. It was his intention that the St Edward's Crown should be used only with the Royal Cypher, and that all other representations of the crown should continue to be the Tudor Crown. However after the Report (HD 4946) of the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals had been seen by the Queen, it was announced that :

"The Queen wishes the St Edward's Crown to take the place of the Tudor Crown in all future designs embodying a representation of the crown".

[National Archives (PRO) ADM 1/27316, CAB 21/3726, PREM 11/39, MINT 25/3, WO 32/9028]

The next Monarch could how ever chose the Tudor crown.

eliminator said:
I actually agreed with how the QDJM were distributed within the CF

Based solely on merit and merit alone- but taking into consideration gender rank race and language?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Based solely on merit and merit alone- but taking into consideration gender rank race and language?

:brickwall:

:stars:

Tank Troll said:
The next Monarch could how ever chose the Tudor crown.

That may be but it still does not require we change anything. The St-Edward's crown is the crown, regardless of who the monarch is. If we change which crown we use, it will out of choice to do so, not any "Queen's/King's crown" rubbish.

CDN Aviator said:
That may be but it still does not require we change anything. The St-Edward's crown is the crown, regardless of who the monarch is. If we change which crown we use, it will out of choice to do so, not any "Queen's/King's crown" rubbish.

Unless which ever heir comes in to power and says '' I wish the Tudor Crown to take the place of the St Edward's Crown in all future designs embodying a representation of the crown"

Tank Troll said:
Unless which ever heir comes in to power and says '' I wish the Tudor Crown to take the place of the St Edward's Crown in all future designs embodying a representation of the crown"

Seeing as how saying this would affect many commonwealth countries and also involve a significant cost to all the taxpayers in the countries involved, I don't think it would be as simple as just saying it and therefore, not likely to happen without significant consultation and agreement from everyone (which is unlikely to happen).

Are you saying you would disobey an order from your monarch?!?!?

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

It's too early to tell if it really has legs, but there's scuttlebutt about issuing a bar for people in the military that were presented it on merit.

Vice those like Mr Staples who it was rumoured didn't really want it, at first, because it was too military, or some such, but took it anyway.

Apparently, the generic single maple leaf bar will denote it as a military medal and not one for being at Dwight Duncan's barbecue.  :facepalm:

Back