• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRC Is Ready to Invade Hong Kong

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
PRC troops have gathered on the border to invade Hong Kong.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/chinese-forces-gathering-at-hong-kong-border-white-house-officials-monitoring-escalation/news-story/82621253f4c093c69834e041713ab34d

tomahawk6 said:

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/chinese-forces-gathering-at-hong-kong-border-white-house-officials-monitoring-escalation/news-story/82621253f4c093c69834e041713ab34d
Interesting headline you made there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it hits the fan......what do we do about the 100,000's of Canadians living there?

I wonder if the gov even has a plan or gamed this?

300,000 to be exact.

I'm sure they will be fine if they stay away from the protests.  China wants to end the unrest, not deal with foreigners who might be nearby. 

The big worry should be about the numbers that are going to pack up and leave and return or move to Canada and the impact on the economy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5388549/hong-kong-protests-bc-expats/

Remius said:
300,000 to be exact.

I'm sure they will be fine if they stay away from the protests.  China wants to end the unrest, not deal with foreigners who might be nearby.
Exactly that’s why I question the use of the word invasion.

RomeoJuliet said:
Exactly that’s why I question the use of the word invasion.

Police action would be more accurate I guess.  I bet the Chinese security forces are bigger than our military by several factors.  So it might seem like an invasion.  Especially if they are brought in from outside the Hong Kong area.

But if got really ugly fast?  The thousands heading to the airport.  The cries for help at the embassies.  Canada could do nothing. 

Spencer100 said:
But if got really ugly fast?  The thousands heading to the airport.  The cries for help at the embassies.  Canada could do nothing.

Not to mention the backlash online from some parts of the population that they're just "Canadians of convenience".  ::) 

Yup!  I was going to say something about that too.

Xi is really pushing on all fronts.  South China Sea, HK, Trade with the US (trump is really helping on that one)

Guys, guys, guys -- not to worry, they're available to help out if needed, according to CHN's Communist Party media
China's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that the military is following closely the recent situation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), citing a law that allows the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA)'s Hong Kong Garrison to conduct public security missions after the local government makes a request to the central government.

"We have been paying close attention to the developments in Hong Kong, especially after riots on Sunday when radical forces besieged the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in HKSAR," Wu Qian, spokesperson of China's Ministry of National Defense, told a media briefing on Wednesday.

Wu said that radical demonstrators have challenged the authority of the central government and touched the bottom line of the "one country, two systems," which is absolutely intolerable.

Tarnishing the "Pearl of the Orient" [which refers to Hong Kong] is not allowed, Wu said. 

Responding to a question on how to deal with Hong Kong secessionist forces, Wu cited the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Garrisoning of the HKSAR, which stipulates that the HKSAR government could request the central government to allow the PLA garrison in Hong Kong to maintain social order and disaster relief when necessary.

Wu's remarks came amid rumors claiming that a number of office buildings will be guarded by the Chinese PLA's Hong Kong Garrison. Those offices include the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the HKSAR and the Chief Executive's Office and the Legislative Council Complex.

The HKSAR government dismissed the rumors on Tuesday, saying they were "totally unfounded."
Nothing to see here, either
The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Garrison in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region conducted joint patrol exercises featuring both ground, naval and aerial forces on June 26, the PLA Daily reported on Tuesday.

The exercises were carried out in the sea and air spaces near Hong Kong, with the goal of examining the troops' combat capabilities in terms of emergency response and joint operations, the report said.

Netizens said the stationed PLA Hong Kong Garrison is not a formality, and the exercises proved just that.

The PLA Hong Kong Garrison is responsible for preparing against and resisting aggression, safeguarding the security of Hong Kong, carrying out defense duties, administering military facilities and handling foreign-related military affairs, reads the Law of the People's Republic of China on Garrisoning the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

The garrison held a three-day open day event on Saturday in celebration of the 22nd anniversary of the city's return to China, with PLA soldiers conducting exercises in combat tactics and various firearms including rifles and machine guns going on display ...
In the meantime, beware fake news
Videos falsely claiming to show a Chinese military crackdown against pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong have flooded social media over the past week, according to an AFP investigation that has debunked multiple posts.

The videos, which have been viewed millions of times, have compounded fears about China's potential intervention into a two-month crisis that has seen increasingly violent confrontations between protesters and Hong Kong's police.

Some of the false posts appeared shortly after a Chinese defence ministry spokesman last week highlighted during a press conference a law that allows troops to be deployed across Hong Kong at the request of the city's government ...

Spencer100 said:

A consideration: China doesn’t recognize dual citizenship. I don’t know what the practical consequences of that would be, though.

Spencer100 said:
Xi is really pushing on all fronts.  South China Sea, HK, Trade with the US (trump is really helping on that one)
I would say that Xi is pushing the South China Sea claims.  Hong Kong and trade are more responses -- HK protesters escalating from being against the mainland extradition treaty to anti-HK gov't and PRC;  trade is in response to Trump as well as Trudeau's publicly criticizing PRC's policies.

Any similarities with US/Iran policies?  Bolton, with a known hate-on for Iran comes on board;  Trump's "policies" tend to be whoever talks to him last;  suddenly Iran = Mordor, Iran starts striking back;  Fox & Friends: "See? Told you they were evil."

Cornered animals have a tendency to bite.

tomahawk6 said:

China already has a few troops troops in the city
… The Army brigade of the Hong Kong Garrison is estimated to contain three Motorised Infantry battalions, an Armoured Infantry battalion equipped with Type 92B 6×6 armoured personnel carriers (APC), an Engineer and Chemical battalion, a Special Forces battalion, a Motor Transport company and an Air Defence battalion equipped with the HQ-6A weapon system.

It is unclear how many Special Forces personnel are stationed in Hong Kong, but the figure could be around 120. Anti-terrorism duties are one of their key missions, despite the fact that the territory’s law says the first responsibility to deal with a counter-terrorism incident rests with the Hong Kong Police ...
... so any "invasion" could also happen "Crimea style" from the inside out.

What if China abducts some Canadian citizens in Hong Kong into PRC, both for specific reasons involving the individuals and to put more pressure on us regarding Meng Wanzhou?

Mark
Ottawa

The Hong Kong situation is deliciously or hideously (take your pick) complex. From China's point of view, there are, simply, no good choices: anything and everything they will do or even just want to do will be wrong.

HK is one of the world's financial hubs. Hundreds of billions of dollars (cash, merchandise, futures, you name it) pass through there every day ~ HK matters more than all of Canada in that regard

The business of HK is business. The Hang Seng index (stocks and bonds) is tanking; billions and billions of dollars, yen, euros and so on are being lost, day after day.

The demonstrations have stretched the HK police past the breaking point. The force is 30,000+ strong for a city of 7.5 million. Large, but it is a complex place to police and some parts of the force are not available for routine duties, even in dire emergencies like Force 10 typhoons.

China needs a calm, working Hong Kong for a whole host of reasons including Taiwan.

If, and it's a Huge IF, Taiwan can be persuaded that "one country, two systems" can work and that China can be trusted, then peaceful reunification remains on the table; if China is seen to be subverting HK's (very limited) "independence" then the only way to get Taiwan back is to invade, with uncomfortable, because they are unknown, consequences.

Some Chinese officials are convinced that there must be some foreign interference/instigation in these demonstrations ... I am nearly 100% sure that there is some covert, indirect, foreign support for some of the organizers: from Taiwan, Japan, Singapore and even Australia. I sincerely doubt that the Americans are smart enough subtle enough to work, sub rosa, in HK; the Australians and even the Brits, maybe, maybe even the Canadians, but not the Americans. But what I think doesn't matter, some Chinese officials think John Bolton is behind this.

The HK police force needs some help. The PLA is the worst possible sort of help ... but what else is there?

Carrie Lam has failed, miserably, but I cannot see how Beijing can replace her without losing face ... and HK or not, this is China, face matters, immensely. If you don't grasp that then you cannot ever hope to understand what's going on.

There is only one good course open: the anti-Carrie Lam faction ~ which is at least 35% of HK, maybe 75% right now ~ needs to back away, for a while. They need to give the police time to rest and recuperate and reconsider ... otherwise, the PLA will, most likely, have to go on the streets and that will be a disaster. The young leaders of what is, now, an independence movement don't want to do that because it would look like surrender. It wouldn't be but I doubt they can or will see it that way. Tempers are too high, on all sides. The people are angry at the authorities; the police are getting angry at the protesters and at a government which they think is wishy-washy because it tries to apologize when, inevitably, the police are less than perfect. The Chinese government is confused and, frankly, terrified and has too many balls in the air, right now.

Singapore is making hay ~ money is pouring in. Ditto Sydney. Even London is doing better, despite the Brexit.

As for Canada ... I spent a few minutes this morning with an old friend and mentor. He's a HK native whose judgement is always sound and who has extensive contacts in the Canada-HK community. He says that thousands, likely tens of thousands of Canadians who live in HK are packing their bags right now. What will that mean for Canada? We will get thousands of highly skilled (mostly business-oriented) people with large cash reserves; they are amongst the most productive people on earth; Canadians, by and large, are amongst the least productive people in the OECD.

My  :2c: 

ER Campbell

Great summary of the news.  Thanks.  Well some of that sounds good for Canada.  It does not sound great for the world.  I have way thought HK was a great thing for China.  We had all my business contracts and banking with China run though HK.  I have always hoped that the HK example would help to change China (like the rule of law) for the better not the other way around.

Is China being moved to some breaking point?  Trump and US on trade, Business and economic growth is moving in the wrong direction, the Uyghars, Iran pushing for help, Taiwan seeing what is happening and not liking it.  The SCS situation. Crackdown on internet and media, The social credit system.  I doesn't seem like happy times

Circumstances aren't the same, but HK has gone through this before.  It was also the reason for one of the emigration waves from HK in the 70s and onwards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1967_leftist_riots

Part of the problem for China too is social media and reporters, news travels much faster these days, while they may be able to censor things internally, external not so much. This isn't the 1980's another tiananmen square would greatly damage China in the eyes of the world, and would solidify Taiwan that Beijing will try to take it by force.

They will probably close down the internet and the airspace to civilian traffic before moving in.

Remember China suppressed dissent in Tibet and their muslim population so suppressing unarmed civilians won't be hard. Of course just the threat of PRC intervention might be enough to send the youngsters back to their apartments.

Back