• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

POLL: PERSONALITY TEST

Perhaps this Personality test would be better suited?

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

It is the same 4 letter Meyer-Briggs classification type test, however there are 72 questions, so it better judges your personality, rather than just selecting the letter that best suits you.

On this test I am a ENTJ, and I have applied for Comm Res.

As someone pursuing a degree in psychology, these sorts of tests make me cringe. 

None of the Jungian tests, whether they are the often used Myers-Briggs, or the smaller 4 question tests have been shown to be scientifically reliable (r>.80) at demonstrating what someone's personality is. 

Sure, they can be 'fun' for people to take but if you are really interested in your personality, take a MMPI-2 (Minisota Multi-phasic Personality Inventory) or the CPI (California Personality Inventory), that are scientifically reliable. 

Just 2 cents from a guy who if he wasn't in the CF, would be using his degree in Psychology to ask you if you wanted your fries super-sized.  :p

Dominant Extraverted Intuition ENTP

Words, ideas and possibilities spew effortlessly from them. Words are their best friends. They dance around ideas, the more, the merrier. Imaginative, spontaneous, original and enthusiastic, they have a knack for seeing other possibilities, other dreams and options. The world is never as it is but as it could be, as if it were but an artists sketch begging for colour. They initiate change and often are prone to trespassing a few known boundaries to take themselves and others where no one has been before. The status quo tends to lack inspiration.

When inspired, they are fearless and tireless. Their energy will know no limits unless red tape takes over. Routine drags them down. Their faith in possibilities and belief in the benefit of change often inspire others to follow. They are challenging, ingenious and innovative. They will give their best to what appears to be an impossible challenge, a place unknown to man or beast.

They use metaphors, stories, images and analogies to make their point.They love theories and often shape their own. They see patterns emerging. Keen improvisers, they are rarely caught off guard, there is always something up their sleeve. The sky is the only limit.

They are sometimes entertainers, artists or otherwise engaged in public demonstrations that allow their ideas to bloom. Their greatest difficulty is not in initiating projects but in choosing among so many possibilities, setting realistic boundaries, establishing priorities and correctly assessing resources.

Interesting....

SweetNavyJustice said:
... take a MMPI-2 (Minisota Multi-phasic Personality Inventory) or the CPI (California Personality Inventory), that are scientifically reliable. 

While the MMPI/MMPI-2 is considered the most currently valid of assessment forms, even this system has its detractors, mostly being that the results of what the assessment sees as 'normal' was based on results gained from a group of conservative 'Minnisota farmers with a grade eight education' in the 1940's. It is only the best we have so far, not the best we will ever see.  

For a writeup on MMPI-2 see: http://books.google.com/books?id=CpK-6si33dUC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=%22mmpi+2%22+minnesota+farmers&source=web&ots=ebK6dMokj3&sig=q2C3xjZEscWXJx2sC3edNUzuMMk#PPA327,M1

For a layman's comments on MMPI-2, see: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/051223.html

mostly being that the results of what the assessment sees as 'normal' was based on results gained from a group of conservative 'Minnisota farmers with a grade eight education' in the 1940's

You're information is a bit out of date.  Canadian norms were done as recently as 2000 and data continues to be collected.  Even for the US, the MMPI-2 research began in 1982, and information for norming is continually updated. 

Recent research on the MMPI-A (adolescent version) indicates that those taking the test today answer in ways that are not consistent with the 'norms' were 10 years ago.  While the test has stayed the same, the interpretation of the scores is a living breathing practice. 

The test has moved a long way from the 1940's. 

This isnt 'my' information.  I am not an expert on the MMPI-2, so can only take the word of those who claim to have this expertise, thus the links to those who claim to be.  There will always be detractors of a system, and I pointed out they exist.

However, I would be interested in reading more on the Canadian norms you refered to.  Do you have a link for that, or is it only available in textbook form?

Other than a Clinical Psyc textbook I couldn't find any further references.  I have sent off a couple of e-mails, and will get back to you with an accurate answer. 

Although you state that it wasn't your information, it was you who wrote that the test was normed from Minnesota farmers with grade 8 education (or do you have a reference for that information?).  I guess that back when Hathaway and McKinley develped the MMPI  in '43 there was an abundance of grade 8 Minnesotian farmers hanging out at the University of Minnesota Hospital looking to partake in personality inventories.

Of note, when Butcher begain revision of the MMPI-2 in '82, his sample of 2,500 American adults was based on gender parity, and culturally balanced to represent the US population. 

I come now, hat in hand, to apologize. 

There are no Canadian Norms for the MMPI-2 or MMPI-A.  We use the norms as drawn from the US census and population from the 1980's revision. 

My mistake - I was mixing the information up with the Weschler scales. 

ESTP-Le Conqueror!

hmmm... it almost describes me but I don't know... I do frown allot I guess?

ISTJ-makes sense i guess, dont really put alot of value on these tests considering one's perspective of things changes from day to day.

SweetNavyJustice said:
Although you state that it wasn't your information, it was you who wrote that the test was normed from Minnesota farmers with grade 8 education (or do you have a reference for that information?). 

Uh... did you even bother to read the two links I provided...?

ENFP (the only one so far in this thread!)....and I'm going in for MedTech

PS.  It's really scary how accurate that personality profile is of me lol, go science!!

I'm an ESTP type,

Civilian, doing some things to become an army Medic.

Interesting test!

Back