• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halifax Tar said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poll-tracker-federal-poll-averages-and-seat-projections-1.4171977?cmp=FB_Post_News

Yikes.  Lots of head scratching going on in the Liberal fortress these days I would imagine.  How could it all go so badly that even the CBC is running the stats ?

Music to my eyes.

"Disproportionate rates of incarceration" usually reflect disproportionate rates of criminal activity, usually within the offender's own ethnic/racial community.

Failure to hold people accountable for their actions, ie "special consideration in sentencing", merely encourages more of the same negative behaviour.

Many, perhaps most, of these people, however, could also benefit from support programmes to help overcome the circumstances into which they were born, but should begin early, at the first indication of a budding criminal career.

Loachman said:
"Disproportionate rates of incarceration" usually reflect disproportionate rates of criminal activity, usually within the offender's own ethnic/racial community.

Failure to hold people accountable for their actions, ie "special consideration in sentencing", merely encourages more of the same negative behaviour.

Like Catherine McKay killing four members of the Van de Vorst family while driving drunk, sentenced to 10 years, then a month after sentencing sent to a healing lodge for Indigenous women?

Loachman said:
And as a side benefit, it removes a lot of the "patriarchal" government control over First Nations and returns power to them (but through individuals rather than oft-corrupt band chiefs and councils.

This should go over well with most indigenous people (although, obviously, not the corrupt chiefs and councillors) and a good number of non-Indigenous citizens and voters.

What has benefited the FN, is off reserve voting, so no longer can Band Councils punish people and disenfranchise them for speaking out against corruption. The CPC open books requirements, was the next step in cleaning up the system. To be fair, if you gave any group of people, millions of dollars with little accountability, things would go off the rails. 

Colin P said:
What has benefited the FN, is off reserve voting, so no longer can Band Councils punish people and disenfranchise them for speaking out against corruption. The CPC open books requirements, was the next step in cleaning up the system. To be fair, if you gave any group of people, millions of dollars with little accountability, things would go off the rails.
Wasn't this action one of the first things that Justin rolled back?  On a different note, with the Iroquois tribes it used to be only the women who elected the band council members, who were always male.  Reverting to that form of government would soon put a crimp in those who freeload.  If the women in my life are indicative of the gender spending priorities would definitely soon change and if the kids started misbehaving and the council members didn't take action said council members would be looking for a new job. Pronto.

Jarnhamar said:
Like Catherine McKay killing four members of the Van de Vorst family while driving drunk, sentenced to 10 years, then a month after sentencing sent to a healing lodge for Indigenous women?

Yes, like that.

Colin P said:
To be fair, if you gave any group of people, millions of dollars with little accountability, things would go off the rails.

Yup. Skin colour is not a factor at all.

Treat people, and expect them to act, as adults, challenge them rather than babysit them, and give them the tools and they will usually perform accordingly. Accountability, preferably from within but also with assistance from without, is key.

There are some high-functioning reserves at one end of the scale - usually due to a combination of solid leadership and decent local employment (on or off reserve - including competitive indigenous-run businesses). Some have absolutely nothing going for them, ie completely isolated. Some are corrupt, dysfunctional, and even abusive.

The best people to help them are their own people, suitably educated and equipped.

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2018/03/28/journalist-says-senior-government-official-atwal-briefing-told-stuff-said-couldnt-print/

Journalist Says “Senior Government Official” In Atwal Briefing “Told Me Stuff He Said I Couldn’t Print”

News Spencer Fernando March 28, 2018

“How would I know if that was unclassified or classified?” asks David Akin.

Another part of the Trudeau Liberals’ convoluted and discredited house of cards surrounding Trudeau’s India conspiracy theory surrounding Jaspal Atwal has fallen apart.

Here’s what journalist David Akin tweeted:

I had one of those briefings from the "senior government official". At several points in our not-for-attribution briefing, the official told me stuff he said I couldn't print. How would I know if that was unclassified or classified?

- David Akin 🇨🇦 (@davidakin) March 27, 2018

The “senior government official” has been reported as being Daniel Jean - Trudeau’s national security advisor.

The Trudeau government has refused to let Jean testify, leading Canadians to wonder what the government is hiding.

Akin’s tweet is devastating for the argument being made by the Trudeau Liberals, who keep saying that Andrew Scheer needs a classified briefing to hear the same info Jean told to reporters behind the scenes. But at the same time, the Trudeau government says they didn’t give any classified info to the media.

Of course, both can’t be true, and Akin’s tweet makes it seem very likely that the government released classified info in an attempt to distract from Justin Trudeau’s awful India trip.

As we are all witnessing, the lies of the Trudeau government are collapsing more and more every day.

How will Goodale try to spin this one?

Jarnhamar said:
Deleted my post instead of modify, long day.

I haven't had one in a while either. I really thought this girl was a robot then fake caller. She was the worst.  After the 4th or 5th time asking me how much I was giving and me asking questions she said she would call back and hung up on me.

I'm an idiot.  She called back. It was a cleverly designed recording that must have different options based on key words lol

Good to see the conservatives connecting with members, begging for money with a phone recording.

Jarnhamar said:
I'm an idiot.  She called back. It was a cleverly designed recording that must have different options based on key words lol

Good to see the conservatives connecting with members, begging for money with a phone recording.

What? Like every other party has done for years? Phone calls for donations are normal election fare. Nothing new on the part of the PC or any other government in Canada. Plain SOP.

Is this true?

Member of Parliament Michelle Rempel discussing the Liberals De-Radicalization plan from a document compliments Public Safety Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm--piPFgCo&feature=youtu.be

Well over half of the 35 Million dollars earmarked for this is going to bureaucrats salary? Which doesn't include travel costs and employee benefits.

First goal is to "enhance the credibility and trust in this office". I'll say.

Jarnhamar said:
Is this true?

Member of Parliament Michelle Rempel discussing the Liberals De-Radicalization plan from a document compliments Public Safety Canada.

Well over half of the 35 Million dollars earmarked for this is going to bureaucrats salary? Which doesn't include travel costs and employee benefits.

What portion of the DND/CAF budget goes to payroll?

dapaterson said:
What portion of the DND/CAF budget goes to payroll?
Between 31% and 34% depending on promotions?

I wouldn't consider the CAF a good example due to how top and HQ heavy we are. Not enough soldiers to fill 1 division but staff for 4 of them, sorta stuff.  I'm sure our spending is shit too but we're also a little different than ISIS fighters returning home, and that's who this bureaucracy is for.

The rest of that video doesn't make that new center sound any better. It just seems like the government is throwing 35 million at a new branch(?) of the government. Like Andrew Scheer says poems and group hugs.

Jarnhamar said:
Between 31% and 34% depending on promotions?

I wouldn't consider the CAF a good example due to how top and HQ heavy we are. Not enough soldiers to fill 1 division but staff for 4 of them, sorta stuff.  I'm sure our spending is shit too but we're also a little different than ISIS fighters returning home, and that's who this bureaucracy is for.

The rest of that video doesn't make that new center sound any better. It just seems like the government is throwing 35 million at a new branch(?) of the government. Like Andrew Scheer says poems and group hugs.

My point is that personnel are a dominant cost for most organizations.  If we are setting up a group to provide rehab services, that will be... people providing those services.  Despite the federal government's efforts with Phoenix, people like to be paid for their work.

That'll only leave enough to pay off one terrorist at Khadr rates (plus a bit for a couple of desks, chairs, computers, and miscellaneous office supplies).

The rest will be right pissed.

Jarnhamar said:
Is this true?

I had a look and listen to Ms. Rempel's babble.  Okay, I'm being a little sarcastic, but to be honest she didn't make a lot of sense.  But that's to be expected; it is very difficult to make a cogent argument on financial matters (or anything based on numbers) without displaying the numbers to the audience.  So, a typical political performance - never left facts interfere with your point of view.

I tried to find out more about the document that Ms. Rempel was referencing.  The only title she provided was (I think) "Performance Measurement and Evaluation Strategy - Centre for Community Engagement and Prevention of Violence" or something similar.  Since I couldn't find a link to the document on the Centre's site, I can't make a detailed critique of Ms. Rempel's analysis.  However, since the main point that she objects to is the "$35 million, half of which is for bureaucrats", perhaps it is better put in perspective if the budgeted amount is clarified as per this news release.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-safety-canada/news/2017/06/new_canada_centreforcommunityengagementandpreventionofviolencesu.html?wbdisable=true
Quick Facts

•Budget 2016 provided $35 million over five years and $10 million annually thereafter to combat radicalization to violence in Canada;
•The July 6, 2017 call for proposals for the Community Resilience Fund (CRF) will have $1.4 million available to fund projects in 2018-19. For 2019-20 and beyond, the CRF will have $7 million available each year for existing and new projects.
•An initial 10 projects of organizations with work underway on countering radicalization have already been funded through a directed call;
•The call for proposals will open on July 6 until September 15, 2017.

While half of $35 million ($17.5 million) may seem like a lot for personnel, but not a lot for those familiar with large organizations, in actuality it appears to be only half of one fifth of the $35m or $3.5 million per year.  With the high priced help that one would expect of such an organization, especially from start-up, it sounds a lot leaner.

As for the document that Ms. Rempel waved about, one conjecture is that it may have been acquired through ATIP so it might be one of these two:
A-2017-00320
A-2017-00333

It's interesting I'd like to know more so I emailed her and asked for a copy of the document.  I'll post the numbers here if I get the document. I'm also curious to read about their rehabilitation plan.

Jarnhamar said:
. . . I'm also curious to read about their rehabilitation plan.

I don't think that such an animal is in their purview.

The Canada Centre for Community Engagement and Prevention of Violence (Canada Centre) provides national leadership on Canada’s efforts to prevent radicalization to violence. The Canada Centre works with all levels of governments, not-for-profit organizations, communities, youth, frontline practitioners, academia, law enforcement, and international organizations. The Canada Centre’s activities include:
•Developing and implementing a National Strategy on Countering Radicalization to Violence, which prioritizes action areas for addressing radicalization to violence in Canada
•Supporting intervention efforts through funding, research, policy and programming tailored to the Canadian context
•Working with partners to better measure and evaluate what works, what does not, and what is promising for countering radicalization to violence
•Engaging with groups across diverse sectors to  foster relationships and create opportunities for collaboration

The Canada Centre does not manage, or advise on, individual cases.

Blackadder1916 said:
I don't think that such an animal is in their purview.

Neither is monitoring or deterring terrorists, but she knew that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back