• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
OGBD-

Imagine for a second that Ottawa decided tomorrow there was no future in hydroelectricity and that all dams would be removed from all rivers in 20 years.

Québec's reaction would be, what, precisely?

Chris said it better I could.

As the "populist wave" cheerleaders on the site love to repeat, the actual facts are apparently irrelevant;  when anything disagreed with is simply 'fake news,' why bother trying to put forth a logical argument for or against Alberta's anger?

Hell, in one fell swoop, the Americans got a President who is more crooked than Richard Nixon and even stupider than George Bush (#43).  I imagine Albertans can come up with a politician that no one objects to being a compulsive liar, who will put together the campaign promises to ride that bitch all the way to the prom.  Facts -- and the inescapable reality that our policies and economies are intertwined -- be damned.

:not-again:

Journeyman said:
As the "populist wave" cheerleaders on the site love to repeat, the actual facts are apparently irrelevant;  when anything disagreed with is simply 'fake news,' why bother trying to put forth a logical argument for or against Alberta's anger?

Hell, in one fell swoop, the Americans got a President who is more crooked than Richard Nixon and even stupider than George Bush (#43).  I imagine Albertans can come up with a politician that no one objects to being a compulsive liar, who will put together the campaign promises to ride that bitch all the way to the prom.  Facts -- and the inescapable reality that our policies and economies are intertwined -- be damned.

:not-again:

As someone who was raised to read the book myself, rather have it read to me from the pulpit, I find myself less troubled by the lack of a revealed truth.

Also having grown up in Southern Alberta I remember the National Energy Program of nice hair senior.  I remember how hard it was for a long time to find a decent job in those days.  There were those people back then who proposed the Western Canada Concept.  Separatists.  I disliked them then as much as I hated Rene Levesque and his ilk. Still do.  I have been away since 94, but I can appreciate how those feelings might arise in the West once again.  I was very close to being hired back into the patch in 2014/15, that went poof and won't come back.  Yup, I can imagine the anger, especially seeing Bombardier get sacks of cash while Alberta gets the finger.

jollyjacktar said:
Also having grown up in Southern Alberta I remember the National Energy Program of nice hair senior.  I remember how hard it was for a long time to find a decent job in those days.  There were those people back then who proposed the Western Canada Concept.  Separatists.  I disliked them then as much as I hated Rene Levesque and his ilk. Still do.  I have been away since 94, but I can appreciate how those feelings might arise in the West once again.  I was very close to being hired back into the patch in 2014/15, that went poof and won't come back.  Yup, I can imagine the anger, especially seeing Bombardier get sacks of cash while Alberta gets the finger.
No anger here from this Albertan/Saskatchewanian. Wasn't angry during Harper's reign either. Just keep on keeping on. Now Trump on the other hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said he'd get their approval, but, if push comes to shove, it isn't really needed.

jmt18325 said:
He said he'd get their approval, but, if push comes to shove, it isn't really needed.

But, but...... Consensus? Moral Suasion? Social Licence? Community Permission? 

I admit, my mental agility is lacking, these days.

Chris Pook said:

I'm just saying, it's possible without their agreement.

jmt18325 said:

Absolutely it is. 

image_proxy

jmt18325 said:

Which is likely to cost him a few votes, and not just in that province - and that's a Good Thing.

Loachman said:
Which is likely to cost him a few votes, and not just in that province - and that's a Good Thing.

You know what else is a good thing?  The fact that people don't go out in public (unless making a statement) wearing the shirt that PET has on that book cover.  The 70s were a weird time for fashion/style.

Dimsum said:
You know what else is a good thing?  The fact that people don't go out in public (unless making a statement) wearing the shirt that PET has on that book cover.

You say that, and yet you claim to be maritime aircrew...

Have you never met a pilot or a MARS officer?

dapaterson said:
You say that, and yet you claim to be maritime aircrew...

Have you never met a pilot or a MARS officer?

Well, there was that guy that subscribed to the "Joker school of fashion"...

Dimsum said:
You know what else is a good thing?  The fact that people don't go out in public (unless making a statement) wearing the shirt that PET has on that book cover.  The 70s were a weird time for fashion/style.

I would never wear that shirt.

It's just not https://www.jeffalpaugh.com/ (and I do wear those; some people at work complain when I wear boring standard shirts).

Chris Pook said:

That reminds me, must stock up on popcorn, JT having to battle the NDP/Greens over oil tankers and pipelines, loving it!

THURSDAY, APRIL 27, 2017 02:03 PM EDT | UPDATED: THURSDAY, APRIL 27, 2017 02:07 PM EDT

A Forum Research poll released Thursday found Trudeau’s approval rating has fallen to 42% — a significant drop from last November when 58% of respondents gave the prime minister the thumbs up.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/27/pm-trudeaus-approval-rating-tumbles

President Trump Job Approval
Gallup
Approve 41 Disapprove 53
Disapprove +12

Rasmussen Reports
Approve 43 Disapprove 57
Disapprove +14

Economist/YouGov
Approve 40 Disapprove 53
Disapprove +13

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

43 per cent approve of Ms May and 34 per cent disapprove.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-more-popular-than-the-tory-party-conservatives-jeremy-corbyn-labour-poll-orb-tim-farron-a7735091.html

:pop:

Sort of looks like Trump and Trudeau have the same approval rating.  >:D

Although it is an old book now, Joel Garreau did point out that place like Alberta did have more in common with the Dakotas than with the rest of Canada in "The Nine Nations of North America".

Robert Kaplan had a somewhat more granular approach in his book "An Empire Wilderness", but I think it is correct that changes in demographics, technologies and communications have made many of the old assumptions about how we draw maps and incorporate like minded people into political units obsolete.

How people act on these changes is an entirely different discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back