• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMQs Questions & Answers

• Thread starter Thread starter fortuncookie5084
  • Start date Start date
Real estate is a good investment, however, don't jump into something you can't afford. If you get into financial troubles you could be considered an administrative burden and released. The banks will offer you what they think you can afford, they don't take into account bills (except credit cards/loans, that sort of thing), they also don't take into account auto and home insurance, if you've got a few driving convictions and your insurance rates are crazy, then you might be better off living in shacks paying 200 bucks a month or whatever it costs these days.

The shacks are getting better, you'll get better ones as an officer than you would as a no hook Pte. Also the rules are way more laid back for officers, only fire hazard walkthroughs like once every couple months.  Overnight guests aren't permitted usually in singles quarters, but even that rule is starting to get relaxed a bit, you still can't have your girlfriend living with you but if you meet a one night girlfriend, you can usually take her home with you.  In most cases you can bring whatever you want for F&E , except when you're on course. In the end, you'll be better off financially if you stay in shacks until at least your first posting (if you're single of course).

Cheers

ya so its along the line sof if you have the money go for it kinda thing. But if i say had the money do i go ther eon weekends or everyday when everyone gets there own time befor sleep.

Once you're off course you don't have a lights out time.  If you're in the shacks just don't wake everyone up coming in drunk at 4am or you'll get sorted out one way or another.  You may also have to prove you're financially stable enough to move out.  Most privates in Gagetown get shacks for one year and then get moved out unless they can prove it would cause hardship (shortage of barracks).
I know a private who bought himself a house after 2 years in.  Probably the best thing he did.  Wasn't much, but he can afford it and will probably make money on it.

you still can't have your girlfriend living with you but if you meet a one night girlfriend, you can usually take her home with you.
Woo hoo!!! And I was worried for nothing  >:D

If you get posted to Gagetown you can apply for enhanced singles quarters which is a three bedroom rowhouse.You can have two buddies move in with you or have it to yourself. Your girlfriend can move in with you but if you get married you're supposed to move out into either a PMQ or out on the economy.

meni0n said:
How much does that cost a month coyote?

Right now it's $330 a month but it's going up $10 in November. You are also have to pay for your utilities (phone,power,heating oil,water)

I would advise getting out of the shacks ASAP if you come to Petawawa.
Well atleast in the 1RCR shacks...
Monthly inspections, nothing allowed in the common area (and i mean nothing)
The rent just went up again, and to be linked it's well over 300 bucks a month which is a total rip.

I'm just married, and id like to know what, and how good the married living quarters are now days?
do you have to live on base or can i live in the near town? as a new recrut?
its a pressing question that my wife has before i sine on.

If you are married, upon completion of your trades training, and once you are posted, you may live in PMQ's, get an apartment or purchase a home.

Depending where you live really depends on how much it costs for each.

I live in Petawawa so I can answer for that base.

The PMQ's are small, ranging from 2  bedroom appartments to 4 bedroom stand alone houses. Most here are 3 abd 4 bed room row houses, no further then a 5 min drive from base. Rent is from 450 to 600 a month.

Civ Apartments are slightly cheaper here.

I have a simple question about living in PMQ's...if anyone can help me feel free to post!

Firstly, I was wondering if there is a certain amount of time you have to be in the military to be able to live in one of these quarters, and secondly my boyfriend of two years is soon going to be joining the military...we aren't married but if we are common law would we be able to live in a PMQ together??  If so, how much do they cost?

Thank you so much for your help!  :)

~Sav~

The cost varies from the $300 to $500.
Commonlaw is fine.
No time in required if you are already commonlaw.  Just availability.  However I think you may have to wait until he passes his basic and trade course and gets posted to a specific base.

CFL is correct on the access to PMQs, but the cost varies far more than that. In 1998-2002 we lived in PMQs at the Oakville site (about 40km W of Toronto) and we were paying well over 900 dollars a month-these rates have since gone up. I was paying more to rent a PMQ than I pay now to own a house in Winnipeg. The management and pricing of PMQs is no longer done directly by the military. A few years ago we handed this to an "arms-length" business operation. PMQ rents are set in accordance with local housing costs. Therefore while you might get a cheap PMQ in a place like Wainwright, you will not be so lucky in the GTA, Ottawa or Vancouver. Eventually, DND wants to get out of the PMQ game altogether except for isolated posts. Cheers.

The CFHA cannot charge you more than 25% of your gross family income in PMQ rent, however.

Tribal Jedi said:
The CFHA cannot charge you more than 25% of your gross family income in PMQ rent, however.

This is true, and is important in high-rent areas like TO. However, after many years of living in PMQs my advice is to try to make the break to ownership as soon as it is practical for you. For us, because of our postings, this took years but for others it may come quite  early in military life especially if both spouses work. The Army makes ownership very attractive because of the reimbursement of real estate and legal fees and the movement of your furniture and effects. I know that we would never willingly go back to PMQs, and I know other people (and not just rich overpaid officers like me... >:D) who say the same thing. Cheers.

Thank you so much for your help, greatly appreciated  ;D

pbi said:
... However, after many years of living in PMQs my advice is to try to make the break to ownership as soon as it is practical for you. For us, because of our postings, this took years but for others it may come quite early in military life especially if both spouses work. The Army makes ownership very attractive because of the reimbursement of real estate and legal fees and the movement of your furniture and effects.

The best advice I got from a Reg Force Sgt when I joined was: "Buy a house on every posting you get, that way when you retire you will own a house."  I was late in buying a house, being in for nine years before being 'forced' to purchase when I was posted to Kingston and found that they had a two year waiting list for PMQs.  I bought a house there and have never looked back.  Now as I approach retirement, I will own my house and not have to worry about mortgage payments again......if only I didn't have to worry about taxes too.

I pass on that advice to all my young soldiers.  Even if you own a house where you are being released and don't intend on living there, but somewhere else in Canada, you will have a very nice downpayment, if not complete payment, after selling it, on a home somewhere else. 

Would you prefer to pay rent to someone so that they can own the home, or pay/invest in your own mortgage and perhaps make some  money on the house?  A question you may want to ask yourself, especially if a mortgage may be less per month than rent.

GW

pbi said:
Therefore while you might get a cheap PMQ in a place like Wainwright, you will not be so lucky in the GTA, Ottawa or Vancouver.

PMQs in Ottawa, for MCpl and below cost $450 a month plus heat and hydro. Not bad for a 3 bedroom townhouse, especially in Ottawa. The detached homes for MCpl and below cost $1000 a month plus heat and hydro. I don't know what you need to get those - you're most likely going to be looking at the townhomes though.

George is right regarding buying your own place. Especially in places like Halifax, Ottawa, Vancouver, TO (big cities with high prices on houses)... The prices are almost guaranteed to go up and you'll have that much more in your pocket at the end to get something even better.

Back